GPU crashes in WoT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

hoenndeathnoodle #1 Posted Jan 02 2019 - 20:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35282 battles
So this is an error that happens only with World of Tanks. Ever since update 1.0, my game client will occasionally just hard crash to desktop where an error message stating something along the lines of "Video Card has crashed" and then prompts me to restart the game. I have an Nvidia card, I've reset the overclock, have no mods installed, switched between SD and HD clients, reset graphic settings, re-installed, started in safe mode yet this glitch still prevails. I never encounter this kind of bug in any other game I play, with an overclock active or not. Does anyone have any ideas?

Almighty_Johnson #2 Posted Jan 02 2019 - 20:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 23697 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
Sounds like a driver issue.  Either update your Nvidia drivers or contact them.  You may have a bad card or if it's an older card.

low_bidder #3 Posted Jan 02 2019 - 20:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 19996 battles
Try GPU-Z and monitor the GPU temperature.  The card may be getting too hot.

Project100 #4 Posted Jan 02 2019 - 20:34

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2972 battles
  • [I-U-D] I-U-D

View Posthoenndeathnoodle, on Jan 02 2019 - 14:20, said:

So this is an error that happens only with World of Tanks. Ever since update 1.0, my game client will occasionally just hard crash to desktop where an error message stating something along the lines of "Video Card has crashed" and then prompts me to restart the game. I have an Nvidia card, I've reset the overclock, have no mods installed, switched between SD and HD clients, reset graphic settings, re-installed, started in safe mode yet this glitch still prevails. I never encounter this kind of bug in any other game I play, with an overclock active or not. Does anyone have any ideas?

I know that you said you don't have trouble with any other games, but these are basic suggestions for any GPU related troubles:

1) Always step 1, Make sure that you are running the latest drivers for your GPU.

2) Make sure your GPU fans and heatsinks are free of dust. This might require removing shrouds. You should be able to find videos on YouTube for most cards if you're not familiar with the process. 

3) If you aren't yet running any, get some temperature monitoring/fan control software. I personally like the MSI flavor, but they all work pretty well. Set your fan speed curves a bit more aggressively than the defaults.

4) If your card is more than a few years old or if it runs hotter than it should for no apparent reason, you might check into the thermal paste on the board. Again, if you're not familiar, check YouTube for videos about it.

Good luck!

The_Illusive_Man #5 Posted Jan 02 2019 - 20:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 12882 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

View Posthoenndeathnoodle, on Jan 02 2019 - 15:20, said:

View PostProject100, on Jan 02 2019 - 15:34, said:

I know that you said you don't have trouble with any other games, but these are basic suggestions for any GPU related troubles:

1) Always step 1, Make sure that you are running the latest drivers for your GPU.

2) Make sure your GPU fans and heatsinks are free of dust. This might require removing shrouds. You should be able to find videos on YouTube for most cards if you're not familiar with the process. 

3) If you aren't yet running any, get some temperature monitoring/fan control software. I personally like the MSI flavor, but they all work pretty well. Set your fan speed curves a bit more aggressively than the defaults.

4) If your card is more than a few years old or if it runs hotter than it should for no apparent reason, you might check into the thermal paste on the board. Again, if you're not familiar, check YouTube for videos about it.

Good luck!

Do the above, and if nothing, get the program called Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), and reinstall your drivers. I had the same issue, and that fixed it. Different GPU though (AMD RX480 8GB).

hoenndeathnoodle #6 Posted Jan 02 2019 - 20:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35282 battles
GPU runs around 60 to 70C under full load, drivers are all up to date, and I've turned my fans up to overdrive to keep them from overheating. Nothing. I might just reinstall drivers then

Edited by hoenndeathnoodle, Jan 02 2019 - 20:47.

Harvester_0f_Sorrow #7 Posted Jan 02 2019 - 21:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22571 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

This has happened a few times to me and I just got G force FTW2. Its only happened a few times but this should not be happening at all. I can hear my gpu fans working hard most of the time but I haven't overclocked it nor do I plan on doing so

hoenndeathnoodle #8 Posted Jan 05 2019 - 02:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35282 battles
So in case anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future, I think I've solved this problem. I did a driver rollback for my GPU and the re-installed from Nvidia's site. So far, so good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users