Setting the pace during a battle...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

NutrientibusMeaGallus #1 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 16:37

Major

• Players
  • 21682 battles
  • [FILOX] FILOX
   Anyone else have trouble with time management in battle? Trying to figure out how to set my own pace, to get that advantage and set the tone for the engagements and am not really having it click... Too often it seems I let the enemy dictate the pace of the fight. Anyone have any advice?

RHeadshot #2 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 16:40

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3077 battles
Why do you need to dictate the battle, instead of controlling what you can control and making decisions based on what is in front of you in real time?

KingofDragons #3 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 16:48

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22525 battles
Because the team that dictates the battle wins the battle.. Problem is this is not a team sport most of the time... Most important is scouting.. If your eyes can not see what your opponent is doing than it is very hard to control map.. Only thing is can say is don't be to passive .. The more guns on the front lines the more the enemy will melt..

Eddie_Benz #4 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 16:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 46058 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Good players can. E aggressive and force the enemy to REACT instead of dictating the battle. Catching the enemy by surprise usually leads to victory.

Son__Of__Anarchy #5 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 16:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23650 battles

every player doing their part according to what they drive leads to victory..

when i see JP E100s and E3/E4s (and lets not even talk about heavies) sit back trying to snipe at 400-500m away, i am more than sure we lose that battle..

and usually it happens..

Project100 #6 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 16:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2972 battles
  • [I-U-D] I-U-D

View PostNutrientibusMeaGallus, on Jan 03 2019 - 10:37, said:

Anyone else have trouble with time management in battle? Trying to figure out how to set my own pace, to get that advantage and set the tone for the engagements and am not really having it click... Too often it seems I let the enemy dictate the pace of the fight. Anyone have any advice?

As a TEAM, you can dictate. As an INDIVIDUAL, the most that you can control are the terms of the particular engagement you are in at the moment. I don't know of a single tank that can truly dominate the whole map, so setting the pace for the entire battle isn't YOUR job. 

Be cautiously aggressive, not overly aggressive or overly passive. Don't give your HP away but if you have to trade, trade smart. It's important to keep your gun in the fight, but knowing when NOT to shoot is sometimes even more critical.

kasan781 #7 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 17:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 30662 battles
  • [PINGU] PINGU
Be like water and flow with the battle 

owlgator #8 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 17:07

Captain

• Players
  • 15028 battles
Wish I could help but I'm in a WR/WN8 freefall at the moment.  However I will say Eddie's point is valid - though this is one of a few important skill sets the top players have over others.  It's not just making the enemy react to you (or your team), but also making sure it's done correctly.  Ever try to control a map only to get hammered early?  Doing it poorly a couple times will make you hesitate, and then end up just playing reactive.

Pipinghot #9 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 17:34

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostProject100, on Jan 03 2019 - 10:54, said:

As a TEAM, you can dictate. As an INDIVIDUAL, the most that you can control are the terms of the particular engagement you are in at the moment.

You say that, and yet there are players who can achieve a 70% Win Rate while playing solo, so clearly some people are better than others at exerting a general sense of control over the battle. Based on your post obviously you can't do it (and that's not an insult, I can't either) but there are people who can, and those people are who the OP is asking questions of.

Edited by Pipinghot, Jan 04 2019 - 12:36.

Pipinghot #10 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

WoT is a game of knowledge - knowledge of the maps, knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of your tank and of the tanks of the opposing team, knowledge of game mechanics and how they affect game decisions. To paraphrase a popular idiom - The more you know, the more you win. There is a limit to how much better you can get by just jumping in and playing, if you want to improve then this is a game that requires homework.

Taking control of battles and achieving a higher win rate takes a lot of work, so make sure that you're willing to do that work in order to get better at a game. There's nothing wrong with being willing to put in the time to get better, as long as you understand it can be time consuming and it will never be easy.

You should start with making sure that you understand everything on the Battle Mechanics page of the wiki:

http://wiki.wargamin...attle_Mechanics

You should read, and practice, all of the information on that page until it becomes almost second nature.

If you watch any streamers or youtubers who are really good, you'll see that they almost all have a strong knowledge of maps, positions, angles, when to shot and when not to, when to aim and when not to, etc. The way you "set the pace" is by knowing all of the in's and out's of the game, learning a large amount of detail about how the game works and how the battles flow on each individual map.

TheManFromKekistan #11 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 18:00

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28 battles
Its easier to do this in pubs with mobile tanks like the rooshkie hovertank mediums as they combine all the best aspects into one package as long as you are willing to press 2 liberally.

SlappedbyRommel #12 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 18:11

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7386 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostPipinghot, on Jan 03 2019 - 17:43, said:

WoT is a game of knowledge - knowledge of the maps, knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of your tank and of the tanks of the opposing team, knowledge of game mechanics and how they affect game decisions. To paraphrase a popular idiom - The more you know, the more you win. There is a limit to how much better you can get by just jumping in and playing, if you want to improve then this is a game that requires homework.

Taking control of battles and achieving a higher win rate takes a lot of work, so make sure that you're willing to do that work in order to get better at a game. There's nothing wrong with being willing to put in the time to get better, as long as you understand it can be time consuming and it will never be easy.

You should start with making sure that you understand everything on the Battle Mechanics page of the wiki:

You should read, and practice, all of the information on that page until it becomes almost second nature.

If you watch any streamers or youtubers who are really good, you'll see that they almost all have a strong knowledge of maps, positions, angles, when to shot and when not to, when to aim and when not to, etc. The way you "set the pace" is by knowing all of the in's and out's of the game, learning a large amount of detail about how the game works and how the battles flow on each individual map.

Thanks for the info and the link on 3/5/7 my instincts are dead on with what I have been seeing and playing being bottom tier 90 percent of the time really sucks but really also increase how you play better trying not to get killed. Still I would love to get out of 46 Winrate but some games are good others bad but this 3/5/7 makes it very hard to get out of the basement.

Also on pace of the game I find its more about HP management low on HP become a sniper high on HP be more aggressive. This will also depend where you go on the map some decisions work out others are well pretty bad.

Edited by SlappedbyRommel, Jan 03 2019 - 18:13.

TheManFromKekistan #13 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 18:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on Jan 03 2019 - 12:11, said:

Thanks for the info and the link on 3/5/7 my instincts are dead on with what I have been seeing and playing being bottom tier 90 percent of the time really sucks but really also increase how you play better trying not to get killed. Still I would love to get out of 46 Winrate but some games are good others bad but this 3/5/7 makes it very hard to get out of the basement.

Concentrate on the tanks you can easily kill when you are bottom tier. Don't go to the same places in your heavy tank that you would when top or middle tier but instead find support positions or even run with the mediums if you are fast enough as you are a far better match in a tier 8 heavy vs a tier 9 or 10 medium or light. Also maybe concentrate on playing light tanks to begin with as you are not as crucial a tank in pubs and have more freedom to engage or reposition. You won't be in as good a position to carry a match but you will have more time to gain experience and not be a drag on the team as you learn. Plus light tanks are great fun once you get some skills into camo and can move around stealthily.

RHeadshot #14 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 19:11

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3077 battles

View PostKingofDragons, on Jan 03 2019 - 16:48, said:

Because the team that dictates the battle wins the battle.. Problem is this is not a team sport most of the time... Most important is scouting.. If your eyes can not see what your opponent is doing than it is very hard to control map.. Only thing is can say is don't be to passive .. The more guns on the front lines the more the enemy will melt..

No, the team with better players and/or who play as a team wins.  I've seen a lot of bad or foolish players try to dictate the battle and get their asses handed to them.

Project100 #15 Posted Jan 03 2019 - 22:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 2972 battles
  • [I-U-D] I-U-D

View PostPipinghot, on Jan 03 2019 - 11:34, said:

You say that, and yet there are players who can achieve a 70% Win Rate while playing solo, so clearly some people are better than others at exerting a general sense of control over the battle. Based on your post obviously you can't do it (and that's not an insult, I can't anymore either) but there are people who can, and those people are who the OP is asking questions of.

I don't agree that 70% WR players "dictate" anything beyond the engagement they are currently involved in. Where they achieve higher win rates is in reading team composition, knowing the maps, seeing the flow of the battle, reacting to it, and being in the best place to maximize their influence. Situational Awareness, in other words.

It may just be an issue of semantics. Great players dominate on an individual basis. That starts the snowball rolling. Early damage gained by a Unicum can tip the scales for a pubbie team and allow the TEAM to dictate the terms for the rest of the battle.

Pipinghot #16 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 12:38

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on Jan 03 2019 - 12:11, said:

View PostPipinghot, on Jan 03 2019 - 17:43, said:

Keep in mind that 3/5/7 is mostly causing problems for Tier VIII and somewhat lesser for Tier VI. Don't let yourself exaggerate the affect of the 3/5/7 system on your ability to get better and to have a higher win rate. Other people can do it, so instead focus on what you need to do to improve.

Son__Of__Anarchy #17 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 12:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23650 battles

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on Jan 03 2019 - 18:11, said:

Also on pace of the game I find its more about HP management low on HP become a sniper high on HP be more aggressive. This will also depend where you go on the map some decisions work out others are well pretty bad.

you bought all those premium weaklings tough.. and you really SHOULDNT..

you could better buy just 3-4 tier VIII prems for credits grind and crew training, and spend the rest of the money you gave on gold..

in some exp convertion discount you could have finished 2-3-4 lines and have 4 to 8 tier IX and X in your garage.. 

that would solve your problem being bottom tier all the time and being bullied by bigger tanks..

thats what made me start spending money in WoT in first hand..

couldnt take bottom tier no more..

Pipinghot #18 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 12:48

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostProject100, on Jan 03 2019 - 16:29, said:

View PostPipinghot, on Jan 03 2019 - 11:34, said:

You say that, and yet there are players who can achieve a 70% Win Rate while playing solo, so clearly some people are better than others at exerting a general sense of control over the battle. Based on your post obviously you can't do it (and that's not an insult, I can't anymore either) but there are people who can, and those people are who the OP is asking questions of.

I don't agree that 70% WR players "dictate" anything beyond the engagement they are currently involved in.

In that case you need to watch some of their videos and streams, they are playing on an entirely different level than you or me. If you were an fairly new chess player trying to learn how to become a chess master, you would not assume that you know how chess masters play, you would instead pay attention and try to learn what they do. Same thing here in WoT, just because you don't understand how to control the battlefield doesn't mean anything, there are people who can.

Where they achieve higher win rates is in reading team composition, knowing the maps, seeing the flow of the battle, reacting to it, and being in the best place to maximize their influence. Situational Awareness, in other words.

Situational awareness is just the ante, that's how you become a blue player. To get into the realm of purple players means taking it to a level beyond mere situational awareness.

It may just be an issue of semantics. Great players dominate on an individual basis. That starts the snowball rolling. Early damage gained by a Unicum can tip the scales for a pubbie team and allow the TEAM to dictate the terms for the rest of the battle.

If a single player is getting the ball rolling, then that single player is responsible for the success of their team. When 6.7% of the team is capable of exerting enough influence to generate a 70% Win Rate, then for all intents and purposes that is dictating the course of most of their battles. You don't become a top 1% player by merely winning a series of engagements, you do it by exerting enough influence to effectively control the flow of battles.

Edited by Pipinghot, Jan 05 2019 - 00:33.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users