Panther greatness

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

MI_LAD #1 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 06:51

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22426 battles
Going up the german medium line, currently playing the Panther. Read the wiki on the Panther says its a sniper tank. On paper should look like a pretty good tank with some huge flaws, gun has 198 pen dispersion is 0.32 m does an abysmal 130 damage per shot every 3.3 seconds. Very few maps support this play style I am finding, the tank is huge and seems to be an arty favorite, gets penned anywhere easy with lower tiers, moving is awkward and at long distances Im lucky to get off a couple of shots before getting spotted. Seems like if you rotate the turret a little the aim time is more like 4 seconds rather than the advertised 2.3, which I imagine is intended when the tank is still. Trying to make this tank work to get to the e50 but I'm at the point where I'm starting to think it isn't worth it . Even the engine seems sluggish, I just can't seem to find anything really good about the tank. oh yea and forget about tracking most tanks either , I can't get that to work - prove me wrong about this tank

SynfulSun #2 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 07:04

Major

• Players
  • 13987 battles
  • [CMPRE] CMPRE
Unfortunately the map sizes as well as the designs don't support a sniper play style as compared to when the Pz4 had the Vaderturm.

TheManFromKekistan #3 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 07:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles
The vk 3002 is the closest you will get to a historical panther and at tier 6 it kinda fights what it did in ww2. The higher tier panthers are cannon fodder.

stevezaxx #4 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 07:16

Captain

• Players
  • 39575 battles
  • [COD] COD
I'm not saying that specific equipment will remove all the bad things about the Panther, but... what equipment are you using?

death_stryker #5 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 07:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

Never listen to advice found on the official wiki, unless its corroborated by other sources. I'm not sure who writes it, but they certainly aren't any good at the game.

Regarding the Panther, it's just not a good tank at the moment. Try to work its good DPM, as its good penetration should allow you to consistently trade 2-for-1 against many tanks, negating your low alpha damage. The Panther also has a lot of health, so don't be afraid to play aggressively when needed. The accuracy is what you rely on when bottom tier and/or on very open maps, but otherwise I think brawling against other mediums is still the way to go.

tanopasman62 #6 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 07:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 21434 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_
If sniping is not an option stick to a few teammates, hide behind them and put a couple rounds on them while your enemies are reloading, works for every paperthin med.

Edited by tanopasman62, Jan 04 2019 - 07:28.

EmperorJuliusCaesar #7 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 08:15

Major

• Players
  • 37052 battles
  • [EOR] EOR

View Postnorthlife, on Jan 04 2019 - 12:51, said:

Going up the german medium line, currently playing the Panther. Read the wiki on the Panther says its a sniper tank. On paper should look like a pretty good tank with some huge flaws, gun has 198 pen dispersion is 0.32 m does an abysmal 130 damage per shot every 3.3 seconds. Very few maps support this play style I am finding, the tank is huge and seems to be an arty favorite, gets penned anywhere easy with lower tiers, moving is awkward and at long distances Im lucky to get off a couple of shots before getting spotted. Seems like if you rotate the turret a little the aim time is more like 4 seconds rather than the advertised 2.3, which I imagine is intended when the tank is still. Trying to make this tank work to get to the e50 but I'm at the point where I'm starting to think it isn't worth it . Even the engine seems sluggish, I just can't seem to find anything really good about the tank. oh yea and forget about tracking most tanks either , I can't get that to work - prove me wrong about this tank

It's a support tank, it's not supposed to be all powerful.  Plus, it's tier 8, it really sucks to play tier 8s with +2.  Hopefully we get the new MM soon.

mongoosejake #8 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 10:06

Major

• Players
  • 36903 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Personally, the Panther is fantastic as a tier 7 medium.

The main thing is that it has a very large profile, so if you over-expose yourself you're going to eat a lot of damage. This doesn't mean that  you're a back-line sniper, but more that you have to be attentive of your surroundings and terrain that you can use to limit the chances enemies have at getting easy shots on you.

Why is it good in my opinion? Penetration, accuracy, DPM, decent mobility, decent armor layout, and overall not lacking in situations against tier 8's or 9's often. 

It can move well enough to work flanks, it has the pen to reliably damage most everything it faces without spamming premium, the turret and frontal armor will produce a few bounces here and there, and it has enough viewrange it can spot for itself. 

It's not like everything else, but it can certainly put in a lot of work. I rate it as my personal favorite tank in the game as it's been solid for me, with me able to keep above a 60% winrate for nearly 300 games.

Firemoth #9 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 12:58

Major

• Players
  • 38285 battles

the best thing about the panther is the 198mm pen. play like a turreted TD that has some armour and its bareable.

the real struggle is with the panther 2. its still slow and fat, it doesnt do anything special cause other meds also have 220~pen and you have to slog through far more tier 9 and 10s.

Isola_di_Fano #10 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 13:01

Major

• Players
  • 24378 battles

View Postnorthlife, on Jan 04 2019 - 00:51, said:

I just can't seem to find anything really good about the tank. oh yea and forget about tracking most tanks either , I can't get that to work - prove me wrong about this tank

View Poststevezaxx, on Jan 04 2019 - 01:16, said:

I'm not saying that specific equipment will remove all the bad things about the Panther, but... what equipment are you using?

The tier 7 Panther has one good thing going for it, it's damage is so low chances are the reds will ignore you for a while.

Other than that it is a huge target and kind of slow/sluggish.

Use friendlies to spot, keep targets in the 400 meters range, use and abuse the minimap to do that,

Put some camo paint on it, can't hurt, and with crew skills it gives you an additionnal 10% worth of camo

Increase rate of fire and view range as much as possible.

Vents, rammer and optics with a 3 skill crew gives me 472 m range, 18.96 rounds per minutes and 0.28 accuracy.

One last thing, I like that SOB of a tank sooo it is one of the 2 tanks I run chocolate as consumable ...

Numbers without chocolate are 452 view range, 18.17 rate of fire and 0.29 accuracy: still very respectable !

Good luck out there !

SteelRonin #11 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 13:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23511 battles
  • [SAKAI] SAKAI

Welcome to the German line in this World of Soviet Tanks. You described very well the cons of the panther......the wiki says it is a second line tank, in the forum we will say the same, because every tank without armor and good accuracy is considered a "second line" tank, a role that does not exist in this game due the current meta and the maps. Yes, you can support in prokhorovka but the MM will send you to tundra, mountain pass, or abbey all the time with this "second line" tank...

Front my point of view, the E50M line is dead because you can easily pen their turrets, and from tier 8+, having a soft turret is death sentence in this video game. Yes, some players still shine with the E50 but that doesn't mean the entire line is worth it. E50M is not competitive in CWs either...

MI_LAD #12 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 17:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22426 battles
the problem is, I dont even find the gun to be that accurate, shots tend to drift all over the reticle and the ammo rack is way to fragile - you cant even rush tanks and burn them down chances are you are going to get module damage and lose - the tier 6 tank was amazing compared to this one - so far ive been eaten by same tier lights rather easy by just getting circled - very frustrating trying to find this tanks niche. as said above current meta it may not have one

Pepino1976 #13 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 17:36

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45790 battles

Yea, me too. I was so excited to finally get one of WWIIs iconic tanks, the Panther, but then hated it when I had to play it. Same with the Tiger II. Tiger I was also a disappointment but I learned how to play it better and kept it. Could not with the Panther or Tiger II.

The best Panthers in my opinion are at Tier VI. Either the VK 30.02 (M) as already mentioned, some might say the VK 30.01 (D) too (not me), but my fave Panther is in the Polish line, the Pudel. It's a premium too.

Oh, if you ever want a good Tiger, get the premium Tiger 131, also at Tier VI.

TheManFromKekistan #14 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 17:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostPepino1976, on Jan 04 2019 - 11:36, said:

Yea, me too. I was so excited to finally get one of WWIIs iconic tanks, the Panther, but then hated it when I had to play it. Same with the Tiger II. Tiger I was also a disappointment but I learned how to play it better and kept it. Could not with the Panther or Tiger II.

The best Panthers in my opinion are at Tier VI. Either the VK 30.02 (M) as already mentioned, some might say the VK 30.01 (D) too (not me), but my fave Panther is in the Polish line, the Pudel. It's a premium too.

Oh, if you ever want a good Tiger, get the premium Tiger 131, also at Tier VI.

Most of the iconic german tanks are one tier too high. The tier 6 tiger and panther perform quite well and are very enjoyable. Most of the tier 7+ could be lowered a tier with a simple gun downgrade but that would leave holes in the tree that wouldn't be easily filled.

read_these_nikes #15 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 17:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19304 battles
its a rough grind but the e50 is worth it

TheManFromKekistan #16 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 17:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View Postread_these_nikes, on Jan 04 2019 - 11:45, said:

its a rough grind but the e50 is worth it

I like the e50 with the long lance pewpew cannon but its situational. Catch a tank out and you can ream it good but it won't trade worth a crap.

The_Next_Penetration #17 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 18:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49204 battles
  • [DD214] DD214
It's not Russian. If you want a competitive tank immediately stop going up the German line and go get a Russian tank

maddogatc #18 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 18:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32312 battles
Have around 1200 battles with mine and find it to be one of the better tier 7, non premium, mediums. Four skill crew, with vents and rammer with food gets me about 2558 DPM with 77/L100 at 18.95 rounds per minute. About a 59% WR in it. Best shell cost of all at only 109. Has the highest hit points of the tier 7 mediums. One of the highest pen with standard ammo at 198 and 244 with premium. It will bounce a few shots but not many. You cannot rush in with this tank or you will die quick. You have to sit back and snipe. It is a good support tank and good for finishing off strays with it's high DPM and pen. One of the slower medium tanks at tier 7 but the heaviest by far. Accuracy? About as accurate as you can get with the ridiculous RNG in this game. Alfa is low but high pen DPM makes up the difference.

MI_LAD #19 Posted Jan 04 2019 - 22:57

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 22426 battles

View Postmaddogatc, on Jan 04 2019 - 18:18, said:

Have around 1200 battles with mine and find it to be one of the better tier 7, non premium, mediums. Four skill crew, with vents and rammer with food gets me about 2558 DPM with 77/L100 at 18.95 rounds per minute. About a 59% WR in it. Best shell cost of all at only 109. Has the highest hit points of the tier 7 mediums. One of the highest pen with standard ammo at 198 and 244 with premium. It will bounce a few shots but not many. You cannot rush in with this tank or you will die quick. You have to sit back and snipe. It is a good support tank and good for finishing off strays with it's high DPM and pen. One of the slower medium tanks at tier 7 but the heaviest by far. Accuracy? About as accurate as you can get with the ridiculous RNG in this game. Alfa is low but high pen DPM makes up the difference.

I kinda like the tank despite all of its obvious flaws - I have plans to elite it to pay for the eq when I get the panther 2. 

Korvick #20 Posted Jan 05 2019 - 00:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 2119 battles

The Panther is now my all time favorite tank.  On my main account on ASIA I have about 1k games on it with a 55 win rate.  Which is pretty good considering I sucked at it in the beginning.  I know I lost 43 out of the first 50 games I played.  Its got a lot of good points.

1) It's got the needle gun.  The 75/100 can pen almost anything it will face.  I don't even bother using gold.

2) It's a very heavy Med.  Ramming can be amusing.  I think its the only Med I own which has the spall liners for extra ram damage.

3) It's got decent amour unless T9s see you.  It's all flat surfaces tho, so you gotta angle it like a heavy sometimes.

If you are at bottom of tier you snipe, if you at top, you ravage.  Its turret armor will bounce frontal shots from equivalent tier tanks.  Lower glacis is crap like all German tanks tho.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users