WoT Senior Citizens

Over 60 years old Seniors Older players Old farts

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #301 Posted May 19 2019 - 19:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 30320 battles

Early Saturday mornings were awesome back in the 1960's.  I would watch episodes of Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons, mixed in with things like the old "Buck Rogers" serials as well as some Indiana Jones inspirational Jungle Adventure stuff.

When I was 7 going on 8 I finally convinced my mom to let me stay up late on Friday and Saturday to watch "Creature Features," hosted by Bob Wilkins.  She was sure I'd have nightmares when I explained they only played science fiction, horror and monster movies.  I asked my mom if I ever talked about bad dreams that were like the movies I watched?  I got to stay up to 1am on Friday and 2am on Saturday.  So weekends, especially Saturday Morning, were pretty awesome until about 9am.

Anyone remember Mighty Mouse?  How about Herman & Catnip?  Heckle and Jeckle?  How about Beanie and Cecil?

As a kid I took every chance I could to see military movies, old slapstick comedies (Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, the Marx Brothers and some Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton as well).  I even took film classes in college that included having to watch and critique films from every stage of its history.  Really cool stuff.

The same movies that entertained me instilled in me a deep desire to learn more about what is being depicted (the stories) and how that depiction process is performed (making the movie).  You could say my arrival here was predicated on an environment that was pretty much what we have here in WoT.

I was surprised:

At the sheer number of different tanks you could meet just in one tier , let alone a total of four (it was +/-2[3 Scout] MM where a tier V could see tier VIIIs) and before I joined, it was even wider than that.

By the rapidity you can get shot up at any given moment. (being new everything was 'how does that work?' sort of trying things out and getting a feel for the controls, what the heck is going on around you, how to use the mini-map what IS it, what's this thing do, where are those shots coming from and all other manner of things before I went back, once again, to the garage, there is still too much NEW that you know it's you that needs to learn how to play.  I accepted the challenge and have enjoyed pretty much all of it so far.

Hope the rest of you are having as good a time or better!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Tao_Te_Tomato #302 Posted May 19 2019 - 19:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 27197 battles
  • [TER] TER

Jonny Quest - a cartoon where people actually got (lightly) killed!  Clutch Cargo.  Supercar.  Thunderbirds.

Getting the first TVGuide of the fall season to see what cartoons were coming!

Had a 78RPM original of "Who's On First?" until my idiot sister just threw it on a car seat then sat on it. :facepalm:

Staying up late because Channel 12, out of Binghamton, had better movies and was accessible than Channel 22, the local.

Deputy276 #303 Posted May 19 2019 - 21:32

Major

• Players
  • 20397 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostTao_Te_Tomato, on May 14 2019 - 08:45, said:

Was that OEM, or something added on later?  Like most of my 8 tracks (thought he Galaxie had a factory 8).

I'm a little surprised .40S&W works better for you than .45.  Just helps convince me that recoil is partly what the shooter thinks it is.

Fortunately I'm not to the point where anything shooty related hurts (other than my ego, when looking at targets).  Yet.:(

Both. A lot of 1955-56 Chevys had it. And recoil is dependent to a great degree on the design of the grip and makeup of the gun. .45ACP works great for me...in a 1911A1. Just not in a SIG P220.

Edited by Deputy276, May 19 2019 - 21:33.

Deputy276 #304 Posted May 19 2019 - 21:35

Major

• Players
  • 20397 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

View PostgrandthefttankV, on May 14 2019 - 10:39, said:

Do you old folks listen to elvis when you play tanks?

Actually, I much prefer the hot rod songs of the 60s. Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, Super Stocks, etc. Elvis, for me, was more a 50s thing. 

Exception...Sabaton and Primo Victoria. Awesome video and a pretty fun tank. 

Edited by Deputy276, May 19 2019 - 21:47.

Tao_Te_Tomato #305 Posted May 20 2019 - 00:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 27197 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostDeputy276, on May 19 2019 - 21:35, said:

Actually, I much prefer the hot rod songs of the 60s. Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, Super Stocks, etc. Elvis, for me, was more a 50s thing. 

Exception...Sabaton and Primo Victoria. Awesome video and a pretty fun tank. 

Top tier with a high skill crew against drivers worse than me on what looks like Murovanka.  What's not to like?  :teethhappy:

maj_insanity #306 Posted May 20 2019 - 02:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20145 battles

The Whirlybirds, that's it.  McHales Navy

The FBI in technicolor

ProfessionalFinn #307 Posted May 20 2019 - 02:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 25600 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on May 19 2019 - 10:12, said:

Early Saturday mornings were awesome back in the 1960's.  I would watch episodes of Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons, mixed in with things like the old "Buck Rogers" serials as well as some Indiana Jones inspirational Jungle Adventure stuff.

When I was 7 going on 8 I finally convinced my mom to let me stay up late on Friday and Saturday to watch "Creature Features," hosted by Bob Wilkins.  She was sure I'd have nightmares when I explained they only played science fiction, horror and monster movies.  I asked my mom if I ever talked about bad dreams that were like the movies I watched?  I got to stay up to 1am on Friday and 2am on Saturday.  So weekends, especially Saturday Morning, were pretty awesome until about 9am.

Anyone remember Mighty Mouse?  How about Herman & Catnip?  Heckle and Jeckle?  How about Beanie and Cecil?

As a kid I took every chance I could to see military movies, old slapstick comedies (Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, the Marx Brothers and some Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton as well).  I even took film classes in college that included having to watch and critique films from every stage of its history.  Really cool stuff.

The same movies that entertained me instilled in me a deep desire to learn more about what is being depicted (the stories) and how that depiction process is performed (making the movie).  You could say my arrival here was predicated on an environment that was pretty much what we have here in WoT.

I was surprised:

At the sheer number of different tanks you could meet just in one tier , let alone a total of four (it was +/-2[3 Scout] MM where a tier V could see tier VIIIs) and before I joined, it was even wider than that.

By the rapidity you can get shot up at any given moment. (being new everything was 'how does that work?' sort of trying things out and getting a feel for the controls, what the heck is going on around you, how to use the mini-map what IS it, what's this thing do, where are those shots coming from and all other manner of things before I went back, once again, to the garage, there is still too much NEW that you know it's you that needs to learn how to play.  I accepted the challenge and have enjoyed pretty much all of it so far.

Hope the rest of you are having as good a time or better!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Bad dreams, oh yes me too Owl.  Every Friday night we watched a local to Seattle TV show for a sci-fi "horror" movie.  The most impactful nightmare producing movie for my young mind was the movie "Fiend Without a Face" about  an attack of these brains.  First invisible and later visible these evil flying brains wanted to suck out your brain.  Nightmares galore for me.

Might Mouse and Beanie and Cecil I do remember.

Edited by ProfessionalFinn, May 20 2019 - 02:58.

Deputy276 #308 Posted May 20 2019 - 16:17

Major

• Players
  • 20397 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ

I remember "Shock Theater" with "Marvin" (Terry Bennet). Also, who could forget the bazoomers of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (Cassandra Peterson)? :ohmy:

https://www.elvira.c...s-page/pumpkins

Edited by Deputy276, May 20 2019 - 16:20.

BillT #309 Posted May 20 2019 - 20:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27609 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

Since this turned into the old-timey TV nostalgia thread, who else remembers this commecial?

Deputy276 #310 Posted May 20 2019 - 23:38

Major

• Players
  • 20397 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
I remember Mr. Bubble, just not that commercial.

Lowsmoke #311 Posted May 21 2019 - 00:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 18981 battles

62 one arm love my arty until the great nerfs happened  and yes i am a internet tough guy ......lol

Iron_Rage #312 Posted Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Private

• Players
  • 24341 battles
I'm 64 years old and still play every day.  I'm not good at all.  Mostly a detriment to the team.  I get my butt handed to me all the time.  Just can't keep up with the youngsters.  Don't have the reaction time and attention that I used to.

Edited by Iron_Rage, Yesterday, 04:22 PM.

Mr_Roberts #313 Posted Yesterday, 10:30 PM

Private

• Players
  • 33064 battles
I'll be 70 next month. I've been playing video and computer games since they were invented. Lol. 

Arf_84 #314 Posted Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3126 battles

I'm older than most of you guys posting in this thread.  I've been retired for a while and computer games in general are a great way to fill up the free time.  I often marvel at some of my retired friends who complain about having nothing to do.  Also, some almost-retired friends are afraid to retire because they think they'll go nuts from boredom.  This just amazes me; what with the internet and modern life in general.  There have never been more things to do with all these hours of free time.  As for computer games, I'll keep playing until arthritis wrests the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers.  Unfortunately, WOT seems to be getting faster and more frustrating month by month but that's a separate issue.

And, oh yeah, hey you kids, get off my lawn.

Edited by Arf_84, Yesterday, 10:51 PM.

Bloodbeard #315 Posted Today, 01:52 AM

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 56702 battles
62 playing since Beta. Retired for 6 years and play almost everyday except when I travel and then sometimes on my lap.  Played in clan, led clan, tournaments etc. Now I always play my Bishop which I have been trying to get maxed out with extra equipment so I have been playing FL for bonds. Love to play my Bishop. Play the way I have the most fun with. Although FL is unbelievably  torturous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users