Over 60 years old Seniors Older players Old farts

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

SnakePliskan #161 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 01:25

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 27 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Jan 11 2019 - 19:55, said:

The Avalon Hill board games were fun. The Russian Front was my favorite.  Took us over 1 hour just to set it up.  One particular game dominated our dining room table for 7 straight months. 
On e-bay the lowest cost Russian Front game asking price is $125.00.  Wow.

I enjoyed Jutland and Waterloo.

dunniteowl #162 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 02:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 25388 battles

View PostSylvado, on Jan 11 2019 - 16:20, said:

But do you have the license key

Why, yes, yes I do.  I have keys for Pools of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secrets of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness.  I am not sure if they are ALL wheels, but I know Pool of Radiance came with one.  I'm thinking there's another one, but it might be Death Knights of Krynn or possibly one of the other ones.  Nope, just checked and I have the wheels for Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds.  The Curse Wheel is right next to me as I type this (the box and disks for it and Pool were sitting under my table in the living room).

I STILL play those games and I have, in my cloffice, a very large and detailed set of Grid Maps for Pool, Curse, Eye of the Beholder (first 1st Person view D&D game) as well as more maps for NeverWinter Nights and NW Nights 2 from Bioware. (I admined a game related site for those and also was a moderator on their forums).  I used to help out in the AOL chat rooms for Neverwinter Nights on AOL and another AOL chat for MW2 (which is also sitting in my Pool of Radiance box -- I just can't get it to play on my laptop).

OvO

StepChild_TO #163 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 02:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35291 battles

Wow table top games!! I had most of Avalon hill games. I had close to 75 games when someone stole them all.

I played all the pool dnd games. Learned how to hack defeating those wheels. There was a little shop down in Vancouver wa that was really good with software... I played all of those early games so much I got burned out on them. One battle for a room took over 2 hours because of the enemies that were spawned in. I hacked an evil suit of armor and some how it became this massive war axe thingy. I wish sometimes I still had a 386 box. good times!!

I made an early 2000s box with win 95 for my 4 year old grand daughter so we can play the old activision learning games. 

Edited by StepChild_TO, Jan 12 2019 - 02:52.

Flarvin #164 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 02:55

Major

• Players
  • 52806 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Jan 11 2019 - 13:55, said:

The Avalon Hill board games were fun. The Russian Front was my favorite.  Took us over 1 hour just to set it up.  One particular game dominated our dining room table for 7 straight months. 
On e-bay the lowest cost Russian Front game asking price is $125.00.  Wow.

I liked that game, but far from my favorite AH game. I might even still own it. 

SL/ASL series is my favorite, and currently playing a campaign game on my dining room table. 

RaynorShyne #165 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:00

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

When I was a kiddo - one of my favorite games was "Tobruk 1942"

https://boardgamegee...rth-africa-1942

The PZIIIJ dominated that game.  The Italians were h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e

Steamboat_Willy_Sr #166 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 06:39

Major

• Players
  • 39361 battles
  • [FTRP] FTRP

Avalon Hill

Started with Panzerblitz & Panzer leader, moved onto Squad Leader (original), played all of the expansions (Cross of Iron, Cresendo of Doom, and G.I. Anvil of victory), had a hard time adapting to ASL, never played it much.  One of my favs from AH was Circus Maximus, a Chariot racing game, cut throat, back stabbing, rage inducing, blood bath of a game.  Winning charioteers and fast teams were immediate targets, with drivers being lashed out of their chariots and run over by everyone behind them and their horses hobbled, lamed, or killed, too much fun :)

dunniteowl #167 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 07:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 25388 battles

Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz.  My first Board War Game experience was Storm Over Europe.  I also played Tobruk 1942 as well as El Alamein.  My college buddy and I played those things as often as possible.  He and I also went in on the Prestags Historical Warfare Series and it came with counters to play everything from Biblical Warfare all the way up to Napoleonic Battles.  Good times.

Those are what started me designing my own board war games.  Started that around 1978-79 with modified counters for Castle Warfare and then I also started making my own maps and counters for O.G.R.E/G.E.V. skirmishes.  From there I started designing Science Fiction based space war and planetary warfare systems.

Nice to know I'm 'hanging' with a great group of 'grognards' here!

OvO

RosenGrauel #168 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 07:55

Private

• -Players-
  • 8660 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
I'm definitely not a senior citizen but I thought I'd put in my thoughts. It's great to see the nicer side of the community in this thread! It makes me reflect on the times I have complained about a few bad plays from different players. I hope other people can realize too that this game has players of all ages and that we can be at least a little bit more respectful towards each other.

ezover #169 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 11:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8343 battles

DAM you all, I have waited a long time to be able to yell get of my lawn you dam kids, I want in this club to! I say you include the + 50 crowd.

I know I am old because arrp has been sending me stuff in the mail for years.

Edited by ezover, Jan 12 2019 - 11:20.

ProfessionalFinn #170 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 15:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23258 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 11 2019 - 22:16, said:

Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz.  My first Board War Game experience was Storm Over Europe.  I also played Tobruk 1942 as well as El Alamein.  My college buddy and I played those things as often as possible.  He and I also went in on the Prestags Historical Warfare Series and it came with counters to play everything from Biblical Warfare all the way up to Napoleonic Battles.  Good times.

Those are what started me designing my own board war games.  Started that around 1978-79 with modified counters for Castle Warfare and then I also started making my own maps and counters for O.G.R.E/G.E.V. skirmishes.  From there I started designing Science Fiction based space war and planetary warfare systems.

Nice to know I'm 'hanging' with a great group of 'grognards' here!

OvO

Very cool.  Like you, my college major was Games. 

ProfessionalFinn #171 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 15:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23258 battles

View PostRosenGrauel, on Jan 11 2019 - 22:55, said:

I'm definitely not a senior citizen but I thought I'd put in my thoughts. It's great to see the nicer side of the community in this thread! It makes me reflect on the times I have complained about a few bad plays from different players. I hope other people can realize too that this game has players of all ages and that we can be at least a little bit more respectful towards each other.

+1  There has been a shift in recent years.  A bad one which is:  If someone disagrees with you they are evil.  Generalizing but true.  Seems to have smitten many of the youngsters. 

Edited by ProfessionalFinn, Jan 12 2019 - 15:18.

Thunder_3A #172 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 15:39

Private

• Players
  • 19183 battles
First tactical board game I played (besides chess) was Tactics II.  Then of course the Avalon Hill and SSI stuff.... first computer was TI-99A. Somewhere along the way got introduced to Ultima, Civilization and Ultima Online. Only games I play now are WoT, WoWs and WoW.... 

Kevlar1972 #173 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 15:52

Major

• Players
  • 22298 battles
46 years young so not a silver hair yet.  I have been gaming since I was a wee tot on my commodore vic 20.  Graduated to c-64 then amiga before I made the switch to a 386 in the early 90s.  Played just about every major title since personal computers existed.

I developed a bit of a crush on tanks early on.  My dad was a tanker in vietnam and I signed up at 19 during desert storm.  I went into the much loved field artillery branch as a fire direction NCO.  Fun times.  Spent most of my military career at Ft. Bragg on 155mm towed howitzers which we also used in air assault operations, so I learned all about how to be a dope on a rope.  I did get to work with lots of neat machines like the paladin and cobras/apaches.  Its pretty exciting to sit up on the observation hill at bragg looking down over the impact area calling in fire missions to an apache gunship that's hovering over your head.

Happy tanking!

UnturnedLeaf #174 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 16:09

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 26342 battles

all you old farts are allowing me to recall the endless hours of playing Avalon Hill games. D-Day and Afrika Korps were our faves. then, there was Risk. 

which got me to thinking....which would you prefer? rolling dice to generate a result? or Wargaming's RNG?

many, many days i think the dice are far more random! 

Brave18 #175 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 16:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 20306 battles
  • [80PRF] 80PRF
Hi, i'm 56yrs old and been a gamer since the early 70's and always will be!!! Oh I also still drive UMP Modifieds(racecars) on clay tracks thru out the United States.

Edited by Brave18, Jan 12 2019 - 16:11.

RaynorShyne #176 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 16:39

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

View PostBrave18, on Jan 12 2019 - 09:10, said:

Hi, i'm 56yrs old and been a gamer since the early 70's and always will be!!! Oh I also still drive UMP Modifieds(racecars) on clay tracks thru out the United States.

^^^^ THAT sounds extremely cool...  there's something about dirt tracks.   When I was growing up in NY, we'd spend saturday nights at the Lebanon Valley Speedway (a 1/2 mile, banked, clay oval) in eastern NY

To link it back to the game - I hope they bring back the chaffee races.

Grumpyman #177 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 18:26

Private

• Players
  • 19677 battles
  • [OTG] OTG
Great thread! Only 52 here but plan on gaming all the way to the pearly gates.

Laugh_at_U #178 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 18:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 38710 battles

Another senior here.

I play using the Standard Account.  So I have to play alot of lower tiers to afford to play the tier 10s.

Former "military brat" (children of active duty military).  My playground was historical tank displays on army bases, Air Force museum planes on Air Force bases, and museum ships at Naval bases.  But, you haven't seen anything quite like an Iowa Class active duty Battleship, unless you're up close and personal....and I'm a lover of History in general.

So the natural attraction to military style games.  My first board game was Afrika Korps (not Candyland).  I was Irwin Rommel blasting my way through North Africa.  lol.

I started playing pc games on a Compaq using DOS, with 5 1/2" floppy disks, playing football using X's and O's on a screen about the size of the disk.

Been through just about every console except for Playstation and XBox platforms.

I've lost my F-16 Fighting Falcon pc game, but I still have my MIG29 version.  And I have the original VHS flight training video that came with that series, with 3d analysis.  Of course, none will run on Windows 10.

Been playing WoT since I retired at the end of 2010.  If some of these kids only knew what it was like back then....LOL  (1 shotted by arty in a full health tier 8 heavy)

I don't know if gaming keeps me feeling younger, but it keeps me from feeling bored, like my father was when he retired from the military.

If you old geezers see me in game, type me a salute.    

Edited by Laugh_at_U, Jan 12 2019 - 18:35.

ProfessionalFinn #179 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 19:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23258 battles

View PostBrave18, on Jan 12 2019 - 07:10, said:

Very cool hobby.... you must be good with light tanks.  

ProfessionalFinn #180 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 19:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23258 battles

View PostLaugh_at_U, on Jan 12 2019 - 09:31, said:

Another senior here.

I play using the Standard Account.  So I have to play alot of lower tiers to afford to play the tier 10s.

Former "military brat" (children of active duty military).  My playground was historical tank displays on army bases, Air Force museum planes on Air Force bases, and museum ships at Naval bases.  But, you haven't seen anything quite like an Iowa Class active duty Battleship, unless you're up close and personal....and I'm a lover of History in general.

So the natural attraction to military style games.  My first board game was Afrika Korps (not Candyland).  I was Irwin Rommel blasting my way through North Africa.  lol.

I started playing pc games on a Compaq using DOS, with 5 1/2" floppy disks, playing football using X's and O's on a screen about the size of the disk.

Been through just about every console except for Playstation and XBox platforms.

I've lost my F-16 Fighting Falcon pc game, but I still have my MIG29 version.  And I have the original VHS flight training video that came with that series, with 3d analysis.  Of course, none will run on Windows 10.

Been playing WoT since I retired at the end of 2010.  If some of these kids only knew what it was like back then....LOL  (1 shotted by arty in a full health tier 8 heavy)

I don't know if gaming keeps me feeling younger, but it keeps me from feeling bored, like my father was when he retired from the military.

If you old geezers see me in game, type me a salute.    

Message forum salute!  :medal:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users