Over 60 years old Seniors Older players Old farts

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

ProfessionalFinn #41 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 02:41

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23258 battles

Play games? Of course, 

Edited by ProfessionalFinn, Jan 09 2019 - 21:19.

Arcata #42 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 02:58

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5215 battles

View Post_Tsavo_, on Jan 07 2019 - 22:53, said:

Man, ya'll making me feel like a kid at 32.  Stahp.

At 32, you are a kid.  :teethhappy:

I'm 4 years from retirement.  Add me to the over 40 club that likes WoT and motorcycles.  When I'm not driving my work vehicle, a BMW R1200GS is my primary mode of transportation.  And yes, I've done many 1000+ mile days.  I love long distance touring, both solo and with work buddies.

Attached Files

• Attached File   Speederbike.jpg   113.54K

Guhnther #43 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 03:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 14791 battles

45 here. I too remember paying for dialup by the minute and having to put the receiver on the modem. Kids today don't even know what I mean by a receiver lol.

Zombie_Snuggles #44 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 03:10

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24410 battles
  • [-BYC-] -BYC-
I played FA for 10 years, I have been curious how many are here from FA. I went to WoW after FA but luckily I found this 3 years ago.

Oh and I’m old:)

Deviation_Dan #45 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 03:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 90 battles
  • [C92] C92
Only 52, but I play regularly :-)

Arcata #46 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 03:20

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5215 battles

View PostZombie_Snuggles, on Jan 08 2019 - 03:10, said:

I played FA for 10 years, I have been curious how many are here from FA. I went to WoW after FA but luckily I found this 3 years ago.

Oh and I’m old:)

I did WoW for about 9 years, with a break here and there.  Prior to WoW it was "America's Army", which was a great, free first person shooter, all the Tomb Raider games, etc.  I still try out most new MMO's that come along, like Conan Exiles, Escape from Tarkov, etc.  WoT is the game I keep coming back to when I get bored of the others.

SporkBoy #47 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 05:08

Captain

• Players
  • 40181 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
PDP-11 over a high speed dial-up 300 baud modem. Good times!

Standing in a field ...

maj_insanity #48 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 07:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18664 battles

65 here,  retiring next year maybe.  

First computer,  TI99,  with game cartridges or a cassette player to load games.

I have a subscription of PC Gamer magazine from issue 1 and still get it although my kid read it way more than I do.

Loved those hex board games, then was a total addict when they came to computer and still have a windows 95 computer to play those SSI  and Talonsoft games.  I have every one of them.

Favorite games,  Command and Conquer,  Normandy,  City Skylines and of course  World of Tanks.

A contractor working on my home got me hooked on this game and my wife will never forgive him.  A few years age when we had to log in every day to win something I took my laptop with me to Hawaii and yes, we are still married.

Hope to be playing for a long time yet as I don't like the cold and  so it's a good winter pass time.  Even with some downfalls I think it is one of the greatest game of late.  It is actually the first big online game I have played. 

Am also glad there are so many older player involved,  and am considering a clan at sometime in the future with hopefully more players our age.

All in all, a great game with a overall great community with a thanks to all that have responded to some of my forum questions.

HAPPY TANKING ALL AND SEE YOU ON THE BATTLEFIELD....

Klingus #49 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 07:25

Private

• Players
  • 15756 battles
65 also.

Jryder #50 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 07:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13714 battles

I'm 57.

My first computer was a Commodore 64. Microprose had some great games back then.

The first Windows-based PC game I ever bought was "F-16 Fighting Falcon", back when I convinced my young bride to OK the purchase of our first PC, a Gateway with Windows 3.1, 512Mb HD and 2Mb of RAM. That PC was what I taught myself about computers on (and how to upgrade them).

Technically, I guess I am a slightly above average player (%51.XX). Haven't played much in the last 8 months except for Frontline. Various family matters including a big move out of state have kept me busy. Also, been here since Beta and the game has become a little repetitive for me, and I am not liking the direction WG has gone with all the Premium Uber tanks, etc.

In spite of that, I don't think I will ever completely bail on the game. Been a WW2 buff since I was a child (Dad made model planes) and have been an armor buff since playing "Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader" and all the rest of the Avalon Hill lineup.

I am the only player in the house. The son is studying Video Game Design at school but he's not into WW2 stuff. My wife would be the WORST sort of player, what with her temper and absolute lack of patience-so you can all thank me for not letting her near this game!

Atragon #51 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 13:09

Major

• Players
  • 40185 battles
  • [-_-] -_-
I beat Wizball !!! I need say no more.

Thunder_3A #52 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 13:17

Private

• Players
  • 19183 battles

UnturnedLeaf #53 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 13:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 26342 battles

health issues and then a stroke forced me to sell the business i founded and "medically retire" at 62; which was a few years ago. my plan was to never retire but work less and delegate more and while devoting more time to my hobbies which are / were tennis and racing sailboats. 

man plans and god laughs. so, here i am relatively immobile with a ton of time on my hands. my son turned me on to the game and, after seeing me trying play on an old crappy Windows 8 laptop,  gave me a very robust p.c. that he built himself.  

it took me a long time to figure out how the new world of gaming was so different from the few video games i knew from playing Playstation with my boy as he was growing up. i used to be pretty good at Frogger and Missile Command back in the day!

i really enjoy the mechanics of the game and play against myself and my own crappy stats. basically a totally F2P player for my first 15K battles. quite a hole to dig out of but that is the challenge and the fun in it for me.

the downside of what i find here is perhaps more due to the collapse of cultural courtesies and the anonymity of the internet. 80% of the DB's around here would be beat down badly and be in the hospital if they treated others this way in the arenas i grew up playing in. 

someone used the term "stat mongers" recently that i will adopt. the unicums are the worst for shaming and putting down others. they must believe their brains and their johnsons are bigger because of their stats. not as silly as it is sad. for them as well as for the rest of us who have to suffer through their misery.

in summary, i enjoy the game and feel it's complicated enough to challenge my brain and keep it from turning into pudding. every once in a while i trip across a decent human being and it adds a nice social element to my time spent here. shout out to those of you who know i am talking about them. 

peace. out.

LpBronco #54 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 13:35

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40586 battles
  • [O-VER] O-VER

64 in March. 

Think I've got to clean out my friends list and get all you wizened tankers on my list.

sparky_49 #55 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 13:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4956 battles

I'm 70 years old, and my first video game was Pong, back in 1972.  The year before was when I bought my first color television, technology was racing forward at a blistering pace, I could barely keep up.

The next big step up for me was the Commodore 64, lots of games, I learned Basic programming, and I could go online to Compuserve and also access bulletin boards to chat and share stuff with others, using my 300 baud dial up modem. I only had a single land line like most people, so if someone called me while I was online the connection would drop. And people complain about their internet connection, they have no idea....

I used to only play FPS games, so I never tried WoT until last July.  But this game suits me better as I've gotten older, since I no longer have to compete with the .25 second reaction time of the "youngsters". By the time I've spotted something moving, determined friend or foe, aim and shoot.... well I'm dead. WoT is more a thinking and strategy game and split second reactions are not as important, reloading and aiming time slow things down quite a bit. When my reaction time starts to exceed my reload time then I'll probably switch to checkers.

I too think Wargaming should have something for the older crowd to display on their tanks.  An emblem, inscription or something to stick on the tank, but I don't want to pay 1750 gold for it!   I'd like to at least have an inscription to stick on the back of my T29

"I may be old and slow

but I'm ahead of you"  

Edited by sparky_49, Jan 08 2019 - 13:42.

24cups #56 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 14:11

Major

• Players
  • 23301 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
59. My brother also plays, he's 63.

Got into war strategy early with Stratego and Risk. Moved on to all the Avalon Hill games. When pong then Nintendo came along went electric but still played the board games.
First true PC only I think was Red Barron using Windows98. Had to buy my first accessory Flight Joy Stick.

Found WoT in 2013. Still my favorite game.

ProfessionalFinn #57 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 14:48

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23258 battles

View PostSporkBoy, on Jan 07 2019 - 20:08, said:

PDP-11 over a high speed dial-up 300 baud modem. Good times!

Standing in a field ...

Oh ya and road-trips to Maynard.  Gordon Bell is a legend.

Redcoat #58 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 14:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 62546 battles
I'm one of the fortunate few that had the means to pursue Freedom 55 (I was an computer hobbyist and made IT my career), so I have had plenty of time for tanks!  I think that I was like a lot of kids growing up in the sixties who had a fascination with WWII and the planes and tanks in particular. A friend of mine's dad was a tanker with the British forces in Africa and Italy during WWII and he used to tell us stories about the war while we made Airfix 1/72nd scale model kits of Tigers and Shermans and had armoured maneuvers in the living room as boys. My first community on-line game was Air Warrior on Compuserver (that was back before I started playing with Lynx [followed by Mosaic], so before the WWW and the Internet as we know it today)... My first tank game was Dynamix' Abrams Battle Tank but it was Atomic's V4Victory series (Market-Garden and Velikiye Luki in particular) and SSI's Steel Panthers that carried me through most of the 90s. I've been here since open Beta but changed my account just before the account wipe when we went live because I'd picked a shyte user name for the beta and wanted to change it for my live account. WoT is without a doubt my favourite video game of all time; my preferred way to spend my time on-line for sure...

ndifference #59 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 15:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16222 battles

View PostAnlushac11, on Jan 07 2019 - 16:05, said:

Im 56. I have been playing since Empire Deluxe on a IBM 8088 XT, probably early 90's.

Used to play the Dynamix Aviation games and I remember playing Falcon 3.0

I hope to be playing til the end, as long as my hands and eyes hold out.

I found Empire Deluxe on Steam a few months ago and have been playing the hell out it.  Still a blast.

StrachwitzPzGraf #60 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 15:21

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 38565 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

Turned 68 in December.

Played games (starting with Chess) since 8 years old -- so 60 years of board games (Avalon Hill anyone?)

Was sucked in the "Life time" Subscription to Strategy and Tactics magazine

Used to write simple games when they were text driven (you recall Cave aka Adventure) - and to SPORKBOY - -that was on PDP10s and 20s -- man I love DEC systems!

When DOOM first hit played it way too much.

Every year a group of 10-16 of my oldest gaming friends meet up at his NC Beach house and play board games 18 hours a day, drink, eat, tell each other stories and generally have a completely retro 5-6 days.

Pretty sure I'll go out with my right hand on the mouse and my left and on the WSAD keys

Edited by StrachwitzPzGraf, Jan 08 2019 - 15:29.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users