New Players

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #1 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 03:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 26016 battles

Howdy Tankers,

I must confess that my stats aren’t always my own.  It's hard to figure out how many games my young son plays on my account, and I also let my nephew play on it too because he likes playing all my premium and Tier X tanks.  He only has 1 Tier VI and that was the free one that new players get from the Boot Camp.  So, being the loving uncle that I am (and also wanting to get my account back), I decided to buy my nephew 25 Boxes for the holidays.  I watched him open them and should have recorded his shrieks and high fives as he unboxed: Bat Chat skin (useless b/c he ain't got no Tier X), Simon Claus, Defender, Skorp G, IS-3A, M4 Improved, KV-220-2 & Turan plus about 13,000 Gold & 1.5M credits.

That is a monster haul and the best return on investment that I've ever had (even though it was a gift).   While he was basking in the sun, I worked some magic on his account and helped get him where he needs to be with female crews in commander positions (25 Crates will get you to Level 10).  And then I took out his IS-3A for him to show what his old uncle can really do, and then proceeded to earn an Ace Mastery in a defeat (I was extremely surprised, but I acted like I get those routinely).  

One would think that he'd be all set to rock and roll, but with all of these new tanks there comes the tremendous expense of trying to EQUIP them.  With someone who has 1.5M credits in their account - it's hard to put 500,000 & 600,000 equipment on your ONE tank to get it ready for battle.  Not to mention the fact that he has only 1 commander with 6th Sense and that's some one time freebie that Wargaming gives new players. 

I see why he likes playing my account because my Wallet Warriorness gives me Gold, plenty of Credits & fully equipped Tanks.  Before today, most of his tanks played without 6th Sense and nothing good equipment wise.  I’m not sure why a Tier II GLD costs the same 500,000 Credits that a Tier X does – but it affords him very little room to maneuver.  I forgot to mention, he now has about 20 Days of Premium time and with the Level 10 Rewards, I told him to pop those boosters and GRIND as many CREDITS as he can before it ends.  When this holiday boom is over, it’ll be back to the poor house for little Skippy.

I hope I’ve done enough to get him established on his own, but man is it rough to Play for Free starting out.  Unicum clans patrol Tiers 1-3 in platoons of three, and I watched him play 9 games with his IS-3A and 8 of them were against Tier X’s (my Ace game was the only one as highest tier, but that was my game).  I don’t know what the answer is here with all of this but I would think some sort of separation from experienced players would be for the best.  Something, anything is better than what I witnessed in his account.  Hopefully, he can hold out until Front Lines and then use those Tier VIII monsters all on his own.

I hope you all have good experiences here in WoT.  I’m pretty sure our future depends on it.

__WarChild__

JollyRoger6969 #2 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 04:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 6020 battles
I cant give you enough +1's for this post!

__WarChild__ #3 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 04:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 26016 battles

View PostJollyRoger6969, on Jan 07 2019 - 21:07, said:

Thanks man.  That's very kind of you to say.

:honoring:

airsoft_man #4 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 05:18

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16874 battles
  • [_OOF_] _OOF_
wow i wish my uncle was as loving as you :P:P jk he is great. 

NomaeTheJester #5 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 05:43

Captain

• Players
  • 14905 battles

Not condoning the WOT new player experience (it truly is aweful), but it isn't as bad if you don't know what you are missing. I was a garbage, completely free to play player for my first few thousand battles. Honestly I don't remember much about that time, except that I at one point boasted in a tier 1 game about how I had the M5 stuart. My point is that I got through being new, bad, and free to play, simply because I didn't fully realize the difference being well equipped made (keep in mind, in those days tier 1s game with 50% crews, not 100%). In some ways your nephew and son have it hard for new players, they have tasted the glory of your account, but don't have the means to do that themselves.

As for what WG can do... I think that as 6th sense is pretty mandatory, everyone should have it. Also at one point they had bots that you could play against at low tiers, this needs to be fully realized. In these days of dwindling player numbers, newbies should have a place they can learn the basics of the game. Maybe have bot rooms up to tier 3 or so. I really don't want this game to become pve focused ( and I don't think it ever will).

Keep being the cool uncle, sure wish mine had played video games with me.

BigDollarBillz #6 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 06:33

Major

• Players
  • 37825 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
That is a great thing you did for him. He will remember it for the rest of his life. Plus thank you for getting him started on pc gaming as well.

__WarChild__ #7 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 06:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 26016 battles

View PostNomaeTheJester, on Jan 07 2019 - 22:43, said:

Not condoning the WOT new player experience (it truly is aweful), but it isn't as bad if you don't know what you are missing. I was a garbage, completely free to play player for my first few thousand battles. Honestly I don't remember much about that time, except that I at one point boasted in a tier 1 game about how I had the M5 stuart. My point is that I got through being new, bad, and free to play, simply because I didn't fully realize the difference being well equipped made (keep in mind, in those days tier 1s game with 50% crews, not 100%). In some ways your nephew and son have it hard for new players, they have tasted the glory of your account, but don't have the means to do that themselves.

As for what WG can do... I think that as 6th sense is pretty mandatory, everyone should have it. Also at one point they had bots that you could play against at low tiers, this needs to be fully realized. In these days of dwindling player numbers, newbies should have a place they can learn the basics of the game. Maybe have bot rooms up to tier 3 or so. I really don't want this game to become pve focused ( and I don't think it ever will).

Keep being the cool uncle, sure wish mine had played video games with me.

Yeah, I told him to download WoT a while back and he said it wasn't much fun.  Then he came over to my house and played on my account with all my Premiums and other goodies and he loved it.  Which reminded me that many years ago, I downloaded WoT and didn't realize that there was more to it than Tier I - so I left and didn't come back, LOL.  I really didn't know that Tier I was just the first stage and that you progressed up to better tanks.  Had I known, I probably would have scored all the loot the ole timers did in Nov/Dec.  Playing on his account today made me realize that I could never be a reroll.  I don't have the patience to grind all that must be ground, etc.  And no 6th Sense on a scout is just crazy - drive to the bush and count to 3.  If you're dead by 3, you weren't spotted.  If you reach 3, move a little bit to the side to avoid the derp gun that has been aiming at you for 3 seconds.

I honestly don't know what the answer is to this situation, but I do imagine we lose a lot of people because they don't realize how great it can be.  Like maybe give them a Defender rental with full crew (like a Sheriff account) for 2 weeks.  Something.  I think it's a lot like golf (and I hate golf). But when you hit that perfect shot - it sounds and feels great, and keeps you coming back for more.  Think we need something like that here.  

Edited by __WarChild__, Jan 08 2019 - 06:36.

mlinke #8 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 06:56

Captain

• Players
  • 51567 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
Do you understand that account sharing is forbidden? You have just sighned your perma ban.

MapleOne #9 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 07:25

Major

• Players
  • 25744 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postmlinke, on Jan 08 2019 - 06:56, said:

Do you understand that account sharing is forbidden? You have just sighned your perma ban.

shut up, don't be the token toxic player. 

MapleOne #10 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 07:26

Major

• Players
  • 25744 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostJollyRoger6969, on Jan 08 2019 - 04:07, said:

agree, awesome post warchild...+1

Son__Of__Anarchy #11 Posted Jan 08 2019 - 09:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24770 battles
  • [CAMEO] CAMEO

that was nice of you mate..

i would have done the same if my nephew was wanting to play tanks in my account..

i wouldnt want him to play with mine..

not for the stats or anything, i dont really care about my stats..

i just dont like other people (no matter who it is) touching my computer..

anyhow i dont even have a nephew.. i got 2 gorgeous nieces that dont have any interrest in tanks at all..

i use to buy them big playmobil sets for presents.. they just love them..

my son in the other hand, eventhough he is just 1yo, he seems to be addicted to tanks already..

i really dont know how i ll be keeping him off in 3-4 years from now..

__WarChild__ #12 Posted Jan 09 2019 - 07:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 26016 battles

View Postmlinke, on Jan 07 2019 - 23:56, said:

Well, I know for a fact that Wargaming allows people to share accounts and that the owner is responsible for anything that occurs.  And if someone wants to permaban me for letting my less than 10 years old son sit in my lap and play tanks, they can knock themselves out.  :child:

Son__Of__Anarchy #13 Posted Jan 09 2019 - 11:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24770 battles
  • [CAMEO] CAMEO

View Post__WarChild__, on Jan 09 2019 - 07:16, said:

Well, I know for a fact that Wargaming allows people to share accounts and that the owner is responsible for anything that occurs.  And if someone wants to permaban me for letting my less than 10 years old son sit in my lap and play tanks, they can knock themselves out.  :child:

i guess his uncle didnt buy him some loot boxes thats why so bitter..

Also tagged with New Players

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users