Still have map map contentions.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ECA #1 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 05:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11800 battles

1 mile is length is = to 1.6km..

Maps in game still seem abit small, from 600x600 to 1km x 1km..(~2/3 of mile..)

I understand they are working on allot in the game.

I know they have started another section with combined maps and MORE players.

But even most tanks should be able to knock over buildings..it has gotten better..

Arty would love to Blast a shot to clear an opening to SHOOT something...esp with HE in the barrel..2-3 shots and there will NOT be a wall/building..

A map with a Spotting range at 8x8 squares...but Who knows that map..  HOW can a nub know that map..

Please...I wish for 2 things..

The Map display..Larger!!!  As an arty it would be nice to watch.

In 1 corner of the map...the Number...6 for a 600x600 map...an 8 for an 800m map and so forth..

No army would send you to battle with a MAP with no reference on it as to RANGE and DISTANCE..

cKy_ #2 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 05:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1507 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

It just sounds like incoherent rambling to me if I'm honest.

That or I can't read...

dunniteowl #3 Posted Jan 10 2019 - 18:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 25370 battles

I'm going to hazard a guess and say, "English is not the OPs first language."

Yes, the maps are small.  This is a game play concession for faster games.

Yes, I would like more destructible terrain and features, shell holes, bombed out buildings, damaged bridges and the likes, however map making is not so dynamic in video games yet -- AND it would be a huge memory cost to have 'rewriteable' maps, which is what this would mean.  In short, this would cost a lot in terms of memory storage and usage on the servers.

Front Line maps are larger and yes they have more players (30 v 30 teams and respawns up to 3x per player, IIRC).  Hang in there.

As to having a Range per Square, I think that's a good idea.  Every map is supposed to indicate the scale and I think this would be a good inclusion.

The maps are small and the tanks are patently unrealistic in terms of: reliability, speed, damage and other things.  All these things are Game Concession Elements as this is not a Simulator intended to train.  It is an arcade level battle game and such unrealistic things are done so that players can play the game and still have fun (most times).

We even have Magic Potions of Health and Repair and Psychic Tank Commanders to make game play 'more dynamic' and to foster more play --- combined with corridors and bowls to speed game play so that the games are shorter instead of better (IMV).  Lastly, we have armored units designed to be in the corridors to foster the use of (now) Special Ammo, which costs more, thus making that armor nearly useless while increasing the cost to play per match, which is designed to get you to spend Real Money on the game to keep playing or playing with a slightly higher advantage.

It's all part of the show.

OvO

ECA #4 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 03:19

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11800 battles

Good post, thanks..

As to my writing, I never taught my fingers how to spell, and other personal problems..

I wold also like the Mini map to enlarge/shrink...it would be a wonderful thing for scouts and Arty..

Scouts, to watch and see WHO can spot them, not 5 seconds AFTER they were spotted..

Arty to help them pay attention to the map and Whats going on, where..

the map number per Square, I mentioned years ago, and ...nothing.   REALLY dont think a few Circles around my Tank are telling me much...

as to map size and Server load..I would think the Main prog on the server is not graphical, Looking at numbers I see 20k on the server and only 200-300 waiting to join..  Which is probably the number in My tier range, waiting..  but Still a small number.

I understand changing and updating ALL the maps, they already have fix many, and added a few that do work pretty well.

But keeping a game going, seems to be, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..  Be it better maps(which HAVE gotten better and more detailed)(I wish they didnt Block areas i used to hide in).  But adding maps is 1 part of this.  Even WOW has added tons of sections/areas..  Adding tanks is going to End, unless you want us to "Build your Own" tanks..  But with every/any game..you run into the people that only look for the biggest gun/sword/.../...    so build your own ends up being designed around 3-4 types of tanks..

They Could add other TYPES/CHANGES to the game, strange, weird, odd, anything...Its a Shotgun affect...Add everything, and see what others like, and keep it..  thats if you like marketing..

Good luck nice to see, someone had an opinion..

dunniteowl #5 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:53

Major

• -Players-
  • 25370 battles

I was talking about destructible terrain and buildings.  That would place a large server load, no matter the map size.  If the maps have to keep changing when things are destroyed, then the memory of the original and each level of destruction (which is sort of like a Level of Detail, also a memory load) for each object on the map, including the map sections of ground that can be impacted by things like Shell Holes and rubble left over will add to the server load.

That's what I was talking about when I mentioned a 'strain on the server.'  Map size has little overall to do with that up to a point.  

As to scales and the circles not telling you much how about this:

The White Circle is your Max View Range.  You can see things just outside the max view range, which is 445m.  You can see to a maximum draw distance of 564m.  Beyond that, the server doesn't display dynamic objects.  Your maximum draw distance varies depending on your graphics settings.  Even so, the server will not render team and opposition units beyond 564m.

This is from the wiki:

Draw Distance

Draw Distance is the maximum distance at which fixed objects are drawn on your screen by the rendering engine. The bigger the draw distance, the more computing power is required both for client and server. The rendering engine used by World of Tanks sees the world as cubes. The map itself is a cube, and every object within that map cube is drawn within an invisible circle centered on and aligned to your view point. Everything near the boundaries of this circle starts to fade into a distance fog and everything outside of the boundaries is entirely invisible to you. This circle is your draw distance.

Draw Distance Setting

Draw distance can be limited in Game Settings->Graphics via the "Draw Distance" parameter that allows you to choose from the following three options:

• High: Maximum allowable draw distance (this is defined separately for each map, usually 1600m x 1600m x 1600m)
  • Medium: 1100m x 1100m x 1100m
  • Low: 900m x 900m x 900m

Higher draw distances will limit framerate if your computer is on the slower side but unless your framerate is low you should always opt for the highest draw distance available.

Server Horizon
  • Even with your draw distance set to high, dynamic objects (i.e. spotted enemy vehicles, terrain destruction, tracers) may remain invisible to you. This is because the server decides whether to send information about dynamic objects to you based on whether they are within the boundaries of a separate circle with a 564m radius circle (prior to 0.9.12 it was a 1000m x 1000m x 1000m cube[1]. It is unknown if the circle represents a sphere or a cylinder.) centred on your tank regardless of your view point. Every vehicle outside of that circle will always be invisible to you regardless of your draw distance setting.
  •  
  • If a tank would be visible for you on the server, but you lowered your draw distance such that you cannot actually see it, the user interface will nevertheless draw the respective vehicle marker, it will appear above the invisible vehicle when you press Alt (using the default UI; using UI Modifications can make it constantly visible). You will however not see the tank or its outline.
  •  
  • Self-Propelled Guns have another view mode available to them, the so called Strategic View, giving them a top down view on the battlefield regardless of drawing distance limitations. The server will also send information about all dynamic objects to your client that lie within that view port.

Minimap

The minimap is not part of the 3D world and thus unaffected by the limitations discussed in this section. What you see on the minimap is however influenced by Radio Rangediscussed below.

In addition to this server load, if you were to add in more destructible objects and levels of detail to those objects (like the damage taken on a house as you described) each shot would change the Detail and thus would have to be stored server and client side as an object in memory waiting to be accessed when a shell hits it.  In order for this to be readily displayed, it has to be stored in Dynamic Memory (waiting to be used and already stored in RAM).  It is possible to store the next level of destructible item and then fetch the next one when the object level changes, thus holding only one 'object' ready at a time for destruction.  Even so, you would be holding a LOT of stuff in memory for everyone, because if YOU destroy a building, say, it has to also be displayed on everyone else's computers in real time.

Each house, fence rail, haystack and etc are already stored there and that's why some buildings are not destructible (as well as to provide a permanent level of cover for game concession purposes).  It's also why adding more stuff in and more foliage adds to the server load in terms of memory storage.

Hope that helps define and highlight what I referred to earlier.

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Jan 11 2019 - 07:54.

ECA #6 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11800 battles

Love  the idea of draw distance and view distance...now go see how big a map is..

At 450m range, on a flat map, thats 450m That way and 450m the other way...Left and right, East/west, north/south..450+450=900m

And full view range, is the entire map.  Unless they made one over 1100m.

But add to that, If your team see's it beyond that point, it will can be visible.  And IS visible on your map, even if you cant see it..  And in some cases, a blind shot can hit them.

• High: Maximum allowable draw distance (this is defined separately for each map, usually 1600m x 1600m x 1600m)
  • Medium: 1100m x 1100m x 1100m
  • Low: 900m x 900m x 900m

That 1600 is interesting isnt it..   and that 3rd number is probably a wasted space, unless they are doing arty a favor and letting them use High parabola shots, that can hit behind Almost anything.

ECA #7 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11800 battles

There are destructible items on most maps..its just blowing off a roof, has no real affect.

And there are engines out there that have Fully destructible environments..I wont go into putting HOLES in the ground, but Painting the spot as an impact point and making it Rougher to cross would be very interesting.

But much of this is nothing of my wish..its a dream.  They wont add a better environment like fortnite or 7 days.   with ever changing details, and upto 100 Players across a map about 5x5 miles..

I know they wont enlarge them to even compare with Tribes 2, which could handle 50 people, and be the size of Southern idaho, over 10 years ago.  Talk about lag on Dialup..

They wish to add DETAILS, to real STYLE tanks, and let us play as if they COULD with each other.  Not counting 1930's ammo in a 1950's tank..

If you want to be critical, we can...but Iv been Warned..Its not a sim..its a game..with vehicles designed and spec'd after real tanks, and not created tanks..

the_Deadly_Bulb #8 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:08

Major

• Players
  • 23667 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostECA, on Jan 10 2019 - 18:19, said:

Good post, thanks..

As to my writing, I never taught my fingers how to spell, and other personal problems..

I wold also like the Mini map to enlarge/shrink...it would be a wonderful thing for scouts and Arty..

Scouts, to watch and see WHO can spot them, not 5 seconds AFTER they were spotted..

Arty to help them pay attention to the map and Whats going on, where..

the map number per Square, I mentioned years ago, and ...nothing.   REALLY dont think a few Circles around my Tank are telling me much...

as to map size and Server load..I would think the Main prog on the server is not graphical, Looking at numbers I see 20k on the server and only 200-300 waiting to join..  Which is probably the number in My tier range, waiting..  but Still a small number.

I understand changing and updating ALL the maps, they already have fix many, and added a few that do work pretty well.

But keeping a game going, seems to be, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..  Be it better maps(which HAVE gotten better and more detailed)(I wish they didnt Block areas i used to hide in).  But adding maps is 1 part of this.  Even WOW has added tons of sections/areas..  Adding tanks is going to End, unless you want us to "Build your Own" tanks..  But with every/any game..you run into the people that only look for the biggest gun/sword/.../...    so build your own ends up being designed around 3-4 types of tanks..

They Could add other TYPES/CHANGES to the game, strange, weird, odd, anything...Its a Shotgun affect...Add everything, and see what others like, and keep it..  thats if you like marketing..

Good luck nice to see, someone had an opinion..

The + & - keys will adjust the map size.

There is also a mod that will allow the mini map to be displayed quite large and centered in the screen when you hold down the assigned key.

This map is almost twice the size of the largest setting for the map.

It disappears when the key is released.

This mod doesn't effect the regular mini map which remains where it always is at the setting chosen.

The transparency of the mini map is also adjustable in Settings. 

It can be set from very transparent to completely opaque.

ECA #9 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 22:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11800 battles

View Postthe_Deadly_Bulb, on Jan 11 2019 - 21:08, said:

The + & - keys will adjust the map size.

There is also a mod that will allow the mini map to be displayed quite large and centered in the screen when you hold down the assigned key.

This map is almost twice the size of the largest setting for the map.

It disappears when the key is released.

This mod doesn't effect the regular mini map which remains where it always is at the setting chosen.

The transparency of the mini map is also adjustable in Settings. 

It can be set from very transparent to completely opaque.

I tried the +/- and didnt seem to work, anymore..  I can try again, with/without shift..  Unless its the Keypad ones...which I can try also..

the_Deadly_Bulb #10 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 05:42

Major

• Players
  • 23667 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostECA, on Jan 12 2019 - 13:15, said:

I tried the +/- and didnt seem to work, anymore..  I can try again, with/without shift..  Unless its the Keypad ones...which I can try also..

Check in your game settings/controls. 

It should be increase and decrease map size with + and - by default. 

Something may have been changed in error. 

ECA #11 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 10:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11800 battles
i dont see it in controls...which is strange, as I remember it from when I started long ago..I got XVM, and it works as well as tells me the map size...which tells me allot.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users