WarGaming's latest refer-a-friend program was MANIPULATIVE, and CHEATS recruits out of a fair st...

Cheating Manipulative Scummy Refer-A-Friend Recruit-A-Friend Holiday lootboxes Reddit CabbageMechanic Promotion Invite codes

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

Scorpiany #1 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:26

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 36826 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

POPULAR

That title, sadly enough, is not clickbait. WarGaming was intentionally manipulative with their most recent "recruit a friend" program, through a combination of a lack of communication, vague descriptions, and a restrictive system specifically designed to provide as little reward to the players as possible.

Let's take a closer look, and break down just why this is such a huge issue, and why WarGaming should be completely ashamed for this disgusting practice; which was nothing less than a giant middle finger to new recruits, and existing players alike.

On December 22nd, WarGaming sent out a promotional e-mail that stated the following:

This e-mail clearly says that if the following steps are followed by January 8th, we will receive 5 lootboxes on January 10th.

1) Invite a new player to the game and have them create an account using the invite code attached to the email.

2) Have them complete the Bootcamp tutorial and the relevelant "Boot Camp missions" in the missions tab.

3) I play at least one battle with that recruit in a Random Battle after they've completed those missions.

Sounds simple and fair enough, right? Unfortunately, no. Here's where things become very shady.

Firstly, the language used in the e-mail was fairly vague. They provided no way to track the recruit's progress, no follow-up e-mails about the event, whether recruits have followed the steps, and no e-mail even today when boxes are supposed to be given out.

Secondly, we didn't actually receive our boxes today. Turns out, we're getting them tomorrow, on the 11th.

But thirdly, and this is the most significant point, it turns out that they're standard lootboxes (The same ones you get from the missions that only give you some decorations and consumables).

Let's focus on this third part in particular.

The invite code that WarGaming provided was a single-use, invite code. Invite codes cannot be stacked, and once you pick an invite code, you're stuck with it. Here's why this is significant.

This is a chart that shows what all other invite codes provide new players.

Do you notice the common theme here?

All of the other invite codes provide Gold, Premium time and Premium tanks.

The promotional offer they sent out? 5 small boxes that at most will give a few small consumables and credits, and if the person is lucky, one or two large consumables.

It also provides christmas decorations, which are completely useless to new players because the Holiday Ops event is about to end. Even the consumables are hardly of any value to new players, considering that at most, they'll be receiving 50,000 credits worth of stuff... And that's it. That's all a new player gets. 50,000 credits can't even buy a camo net.

The e-mail used language that strongly suggested that we would be getting Premium lootboxes. The e-mail used language such as:

• "fine gifts"
  • FREE holiday lootboxes

Now, fine gifts is a pretty bold claim. And to use "FREE" in all caps, twice, when talking about holiday lootboxes and "fine gifts", really makes it seem like LOOK AT THIS YOU'RE GETTING A GREAT DEAL, SOMETHING YOU NORMALLY WOULD PAY FOR IS FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

That's the impression the e-mail gives. That we'd be getting the paid premium lootboxes, for FREE, which is why this would be such a great promotion, right? Only Premium lootboxes would make "fine gifts", right?

And then when you keep in mind that this is a single-use invite code, that forces the recruit to avoid all of the other codes, and considering that all the other codes provide Gold, Premium time and Premium tanks, you would be misled to only one conclusion:

"I must be getting 5 premium lootboxes, that also contain Gold and possibly Premium time and Premium tanks... Just like all of the other invite codes do. Except if I get lucky, I may even get a Tier 8 tank!"

Except, this wasn't the case. Not only did WarGaming make zero effort to clarify what kind of boxes we would actually be receiving, but they did not actually inform us until after the promotion that:

1) We're not getting them today.

2) They're small boxes.

CabbageMechanic shared with us today on Reddit (Yes, Reddit, not on the Forums, not on the portal, not via. e-mail... But on Reddit, where people are least likely to even read this):

Wow, thanks CabbageMechanic! How generous, not only are the boxes late, but you're only telling us after the event finishesafter recruits got screwed out of actual invite codes and on Reddit where noone will actually see this post, that they're 5 small boxes.

Thanks man, I'm so glad you care about your customers so much! 5 small lootboxes that hold as little value as the text in that post, and had as little thought and effort put into these "gifts" as it took for you to type that post out too. Thanks for caring! Man, if we just got the paper you wiped your rear with, then this would be the perfect gift, so thoughtful and considerate, and such a helpful and great start to new players joining the game!

As you can imagine, this has resulted in some... Rather negative... Reactions from the community.

I'm ashamed, and disgusted with this farce of a promotion that WG has ran.

This was nothing more than manipulative marketing, intended to cheat players out of a fair start.

Edited by Scorpiany, Jan 11 2019 - 09:58.

largeelvis #2 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19818 battles
It doesn't really make sense. A lot of people still playing wot on NA are paying some of the highest prices for in-game content online now. Why is wargaming so cheap with events and promotions?

Scorpiany #3 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:38

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 36826 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

This isn't to mention that it makes all of us look bad, anyone who promoted the invite codes. Because all of us who received the codes were under the impression that it was going to be the premium lootboxes, we all promoted it as such.

Now, it's us, the ones inviting the new players, who look as though we had lied to the recruits about what they were getting... And the recruits are getting screwed out of a proper invite code.

So not only are we not getting jack, but now we look bad on top of this. My reputation has been slightly damaged, because of this manipulative ploy on WarGaming's behalf - One that I fell for.

Edited by Scorpiany, Jan 11 2019 - 06:44.

VinnyI82 #4 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:39

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 37158 battles
  • [POSHY] POSHY

View Postlargeelvis, on Jan 11 2019 - 00:29, said:

It doesn't really make sense. A lot of people still playing wot on NA are paying some of the highest prices for in-game content online now. Why is wargaming so cheap with events and promotions?

It makes a lot of sense actually.

The marketing team is stupid.

Po1ar_Gaming #5 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 182 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F
WG never fails to be manipulative in their words. If they're seeing the data and watching as their updates to the game slowly drive away players, they probably should start giving a real incentive, not cheating us further.

saru_richard #6 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 26586 battles
  • [SUX] SUX
:popcorn: this is going to end well...

death_stryker #7 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:46

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

Wow. That is truly appalling.

The efficiency with which WG turns veterans and newbies alike away from their game is quite impressive.

Junbeyn #8 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:51

Captain

• Players
  • 34447 battles
  • [DERGN] DERGN
welp no more T95E2 for me in the long run, heh.

Danadae #9 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 06:56

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20789 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

I was so close to buying their Großtraktor-Krupp offer. Like, I literally had the purchase page open. As you can see from my signature, I don't mind paying for things... but after seeing this I'm done for now. My GF signed up and tried playing for a bit. She didn't care for it and quit before finishing bootcamp in the game but if she had and all we had got in return were some cheap a$$ small loot boxes instead of the gold and premium tank she could have got using a different invite code I would have been SUPER pissed off.

How money grubbing and dirty can you get, Wargaming. Shame on you.

Danadae #10 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:03

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20789 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

I just explained what is happening here to my GF, who happens to be an accomplished gamer herself. Her exact words were:

"Wow, f**k that game then. Glad I quit before I even got invested in it."

...looks like I'll never get to platoon with my QT 3.14 gamer GF in tanks. Ya f**ked up Wargaming. Thanks a lot.  :(

Striker_70 #11 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:10

Major

• Players
  • 19694 battles
If it isn't specified, you should always assume you're getting the worst version.  They have little incentive to do otherwise.

Danadae #12 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20789 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostStriker_70, on Jan 11 2019 - 01:10, said:

If it isn't specified, you should always assume you're getting the worst version.  They have little incentive to do otherwise.

Aside from, you know, encouraging people to happily pay to play their game, instead of pissing off their entire player base. But yeah, other than that no incentive at all. You nailed it, bucko.

SwollenOstrich #13 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:17

Captain

• Players
  • 24859 battles

I agree. I didn't bother with the promotion, but when I read about it I thought it was large loot boxes as well. 

You get 5 small for pretty much just playing a game ... why on earth would a sane person go through the trouble of recruiting a friend and nonsense about platooning, etc, just for 5 small loot boxes. I mean even if it was 100 small loot boxes it would not be worth the trouble.

tanopasman62 #14 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 20632 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

View PostDanadae, on Jan 11 2019 - 06:56, said:

I was so close to buying their Großtraktor-Krupp offer. Like, I literally had the purchase page open. As you can see from my signature, I don't mind paying for things... but after seeing this I'm done for now. My GF signed up and tried playing for a bit. She didn't care for it and quit before finishing bootcamp in the game but if she had and all we had got in return were some cheap a$$ small loot boxes instead of the gold and premium tank she could have got using a different invite code I would have been SUPER pissed off.

How money grubbing and dirty can you get, Wargaming. Shame on you.

I intended to buy some premium time to take advantage of my vacations, I was pissed off because the local I had to realize the payment didn't recognize the payment method. Now I'm thankful for that.

Arcata #15 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:21

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6868 battles

View PostDanadae, on Jan 11 2019 - 07:03, said:

I just explained what is happening here to my GF, who happens to be an accomplished gamer herself. Her exact words were:

"Wow, f**k that game then. Glad I quit before I even got invested in it."

...looks like I'll never get to platoon with my QT 3.14 gamer GF in tanks. Ya f**ked up Wargaming. Thanks a lot.  :(

Since she doesn't like you and your empty promises about loot boxes anymore, can you send her my way?  :great:

Striker_70 #16 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:29

Major

• Players
  • 19694 battles

View PostDanadae, on Jan 11 2019 - 00:16, said:

Aside from, you know, encouraging people to happily pay to play their game, instead of pissing off their entire player base. But yeah, other than that no incentive at all. You nailed it, bucko.

This is standard for just about every giveaway on the planet.  When it's advertised that you can win a car, you can bet your [edited]that car is going to be the worst version of that car unless specified.

This should be no surprise whatsoever.  WG proves time and time again they don't care about happy customers.  Putting a bunch of monstrously OP, broken tanks in boxes was just another example of that.  

Collapsed_Eigenfunction #17 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:36

Major

• Players
  • 27079 battles
  • [-RECK] -RECK
I'm shocked

Danadae #18 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20789 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostStriker_70, on Jan 11 2019 - 01:29, said:

This is standard for just about every giveaway on the planet.  When it's advertised that you can win a car, you can bet your [edited]that car is going to be the worst version of that car unless specified.

This should be no surprise whatsoever.  WG proves time and time again they don't care about happy customers.  Putting a bunch of monstrously OP, broken tanks in boxes was just another example of that. 

Additionally, here is a pic of me IRL:

Your statement does nothing to disprove my counterpoint to yours. They do, in fact, have plenty of INCENTIVES to conduct business in a way that satisfies their customers. Because, you know, they are a BUSINESS. As in they need to people to buy their crap.

I just realized you're an intentional troll. At first I thought you were just daft or senile, but it's clear you're an intentionally obtuse ignoramus. I will conclude my conversations with you from this point forward.

Edited by Danadae, Jan 11 2019 - 07:46.

Danadae #19 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20789 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View PostArcata, on Jan 11 2019 - 01:21, said:

Since she doesn't like you and your empty promises about loot boxes anymore, can you send her my way?  :great:

No, I paid for this one (time = money... plus expenses) all on my own, fair and square. :P

NightmareMk9 #20 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:40

Major

• Players
  • 34886 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

This is LITERALLY the only game I have EVER played where I really want to play it (and spend money on it).  But the company just seems to literally and figuratively kick their own players in the nuts at every opportunity.

With this and the complete absence of any deals in game over the Holiday, WGNA is really digging a hole.  Here let me dig up this 4+ year old image, its just as true today as back then

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users