WarGaming's latest refer-a-friend program was MANIPULATIVE, and CHEATS recruits out of a fair st...

Cheating Manipulative Scummy Refer-A-Friend Recruit-A-Friend Holiday lootboxes Reddit CabbageMechanic Promotion Invite codes

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

24cups #61 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 18:46

Major

• Players
  • 24498 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postsp1ttfire, on Jan 11 2019 - 11:45, said:

Is this a troll? Seriously, read the OP. Look at the email they sent and tell me it is not deceptive. I get that in the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal, but there is no reason for us to just let it go. Again, speaking as someone who is not getting paid this week because our congress and our president are arguing over how to spend 0.1% of the federal budget. So again I ask, why would we just let it go? This is a serious question. Why would we just let them off the hook? We have every right to complain. 

I agree that they messed up and you have a right to complain.

What I pointed out was that your daughter could still make a new account getting a Churchill III and other stuff, including, I think,  1000 gold.

You stated she'd have gotten,  at the least,  1250 from 5 boxes.  The other code guarantees

a Churchill.  Better deal.

Maybe you should be protesting your government instead of WG as they are hurting you more. 

BrokenBastion #62 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 19:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 12438 battles

The ones that are coming to the defense of WG or shaming the complaining customers are missing the point.

It is not about whether we do have the money to gift boxes to our recruit or not. It's about how WG does things. In this case, it was an unclear promotion and we have the right, and should, complain about it. Otherwise, it will just get uglier each time. I would not care if it had been clear since the beginning.

In lieu of this mess up, I'm done spending money on the game until they resolve this.

What is sad is that they probably are denying themselves more money than they are making with this promotion.

Edited by BrokenBastion, Jan 12 2019 - 03:43.

DixonCider563 #63 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 19:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41509 battles
Yet another reason wargaming is declining, If players are really want to make wargaming listen to its players there is one simple solution, I bet if everyone playing this game STOPPED playing for 1 full week and never log online, It would hurt wargamings bottom line. Until that bottom line is truely hurt then wargaming will continue this practice, after all it is a russian game!!!

D1rkjr #64 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 19:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22214 battles
Wow, thats the dirtiest move ive ever heard of them pulling

sp1ttfire #65 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 19:26

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 36884 battles
  • [BWSO] BWSO
Maybe someone mentioned this before and I missed it, but another point is that they did give away large loot boxes this year. I got 5 free ones. I guess some of them were from the Santa Vs. Krampus thing. I don't know where the others came from. The point being that, in reality, giving away these boxes doesn't cost WG anything and they've already shown that they are willing to do it. I played a few battles this morning. If this isn't corrected, they may be my last. I've spent a fair bit of money over the last 3 years on this game. I feel I've gotten enough enjoyment from playing that I am not throwing that money away, but I certainly don't need to spend any more. The player base is withering away as it is. They had a chance add some players with this promotion and they blew it by deceiving the new players and the existing players that recruited them. 

Edited by sp1ttfire, Jan 11 2019 - 19:26.

FineousOrlon #66 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 19:50

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21171 battles

View Post24cups, on Jan 11 2019 - 18:46, said:

I agree that they messed up and you have a right to complain.

What I pointed out was that your daughter could still make a new account getting a Churchill III and other stuff, including, I think,  1000 gold.

You stated she'd have gotten,  at the least,  1250 from 5 boxes.  The other code guarantees

a Churchill.  Better deal.

Maybe you should be protesting your government instead of WG as they are hurting you more. 

Maybe the Churchill code is a better deal, but I think 5 free large loot boxes might just get you a premium crew member or 2, and the Christmas stuff could easily be an exciting start to the game.  That should count for something.

As to your last point, I think one could do both, if one so desired.

__Worm__ #67 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 20:07

Major

• Players
  • 34921 battles

To have done this right it should have stated ; Meet the requirements and receive 5 of the free loot boxes that are part of the rewards in the game to boost your festive atmosphere.

As it was stated in the ad it seemed to be premium boxes .....

RAFOsprey #68 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 20:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4707 battles
  • [209RA] 209RA

Please recall the cussing temper tantrum by Clark Griswold in “Christmas Vacation” when he got a certificate for the Jelly of the Month Club instead of his hoped for bonus. This is exactly how I and my recruit feel after getting the lousy 5 small boxes. Talk about worthless contributions. I don’t expect my recruit to even bother to open the boxes much less embark on a stress filled hopeless effort to achieve enough parity to even be competitive in a match. He will therefore not be paying WG or helping to populate a server.

There should be outrage at WG for the pathetic, cheating, weasel promotion they started. We who participated in good faith did not ask for anything like this or initiate it. WG emailed me with this B-S offer and I was fool enough to involve my son in it. Instead of thinking well of them and appreciating the kind offer, I have cemented them in the category of Comcast as a deceptive, lying, despised corporate entity that seems to succeed in spite of themselves. While the A-holes at Comcast offer something I need , there is no such dependence on this game.

Until the WG staff can make an honest (who am I kidding…;) effort to fix the mess, I’ll promote the game, to anyone who will listen, with my clear view of it and the management.

We were both cheated, so I will continue to be absent from the servers and as for ever spending another penny here... Ha!

While Clark’s situation was funny, and resolved…this one isn’t.

georgewashington1775 #69 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 20:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 22075 battles
Aight WG, it's pretty clear we all thought we were getting Large Loot boxes. Chalk it up to a lesson learned for your marketing team, and give us all what we thought we were getting. Solve the problem and try to retain some of the shrinking player base.

largeelvis #70 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 21:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 20077 battles
It's not a lesson learned. That's the problem. Wargaming has been terrible with the NA community since they left Emeryville. If they can take cash for loot boxes, they can manage a server properly. That simply isn't being done at the moment.

Edited by largeelvis, Jan 11 2019 - 21:05.

TheyCallMeGrim #71 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 21:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 14777 battles
  • [TOG3A] TOG3A

I'm so glad I found this thread. I was certain that either I or my friend had made a mistake. Perhaps I gave him a dead invite key, or he didn't do the bootcamp missions, or we didn't play our platoon game in time. I would've accepted that as a reason for not getting what was offered, which was, in their own words and with their own emphasis, "5 FREE holiday lootboxes". If I wasn't so mad at them, I'd be embarrassed for them. They look like year-one indie game developers right now, making the same old dumb mistakes they always have.

WGNA: You've lost my friend as a player, and you've made me look like an idiot. I'm going to log in right before the Holiday Ops end to see if you have rectified this situation that you've put yourself in. If not, I'm logging out until the stench of this has worn off, which may be for a while. I'm certainly done giving you my money. Shame on you.

Edited by TheyCallMeGrim, Jan 11 2019 - 22:22.

TommyBuns #72 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 21:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18507 battles

View Postlargeelvis, on Jan 11 2019 - 15:05, said:

It's not a lesson learned. That's the problem. Wargaming has been terrible with the NA community since they left Emeryville. If they can take cash for loot boxes, they can manage a server properly. That simply isn't being done at the moment.

I kind of figured this. Honestly if there was guaranteed gold, and possible premium time, premium tanks, and a shot at an IS-3A, you don't think that would have been prominently stated in the e-mail, along with images of the tanks? I mean cmon.

BillT #73 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 21:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostScorpiany, on Jan 11 2019 - 00:38, said:

This isn't to mention that it makes all of us look bad, anyone who promoted the invite codes. Because all of us who received the codes were under the impression that it was going to be the premium lootboxes, we all promoted it as such.

Right!  This is the really outrageous part of it; WG duped you into duping new players to accept a very sub-part signing bonus.  In other circumstances they'd get a tank, some gold, some premium time... this way they get maybe 15K credits, a few consumables, and a few ornaments.

Really crap, WG.  Seriously, what were you thinking?  You should make this right by giving everyone who signed on using these codes a free premium tank, a some premium time, and some gold.

TVV #74 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 21:58

Captain

• Players
  • 57223 battles
  • [EZ_CO] EZ_CO

The way WGNA is managing this server and treating the community, one has to wonder of they were promised a great severance package if the Minsk mothership decides to shut the NA server down. Initially I thought they were just unprofessional, or plain incompetent at times, but this latest trolling of their player base seems to go beyond that. If you make the announcement seem like it will be for large boxes (the word "loot" is key here), then supply small boxes (late too) it has to be obvious even to the most delusional marketing person that the end result will be player outrage, the loss of almost all recruits and possibly a good chunk of the long term players who participated as well. It pretty much looks like a deliberate attempt to erode the active player base further. 

vonWachtstain #75 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26601 battles
  • [27PZR] 27PZR
It would be nice for WG staff to address this.  I am not even talking about them correcting this before (because there were threads about it) but it would be nice to hear what is the reasoning here.  Language of that email with code is pretty deceptive. I refuse to believe it was intentionally so. 

RaynorShyne #76 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:32

Captain

• Players
  • 27385 battles

Ok, I'll bite.

OP can't read (it never said LARGE loot boxes) and instead thought he and a 'friend' could take advantage of the holiday event.  Consistently, playing missions, you're awarded "LOOT BOXES" - they do not delineate large or small, but they're small.   Why would this language suddenly change for an ad campaign?

OP also cannot do math.   A Churchill III, 7 days Premium Time and 500 gold equate to about $17.00 of game value.   5 LARGE loot boxes are about $9 (52% of the other package value)

*IF* they were going to do that, WHY would you willingly go for $9 in value over a guaranteed $17 in value?

Tier 8 premium tanks.   That's why.   Sure, WG is going to give out a decent chance at a newbie getting a IS3A, a E25, or a Skorpion.    That's exactly what I want in MY tier 8 fights.   Someone learning to drive while my flank is getting smoked.   

OP should blame his 3rd and 4th grade English teachers and a sense of greedy entitlement - not WG

Additionally, understand you're talking about a FREE INVITE CODE.  There are plenty of folks who sign up after seeing a TV ad and receive nothing because they don't know codes exist.   

ISNomads #77 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:33

Major

• Players
  • 39573 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO

I have no vested interest in this since I did not do anything with the invite code.

That said, I assumed that they would be large boxes, since 5 small boxes is about the same as nothing.

WG should have explicitly specified the type of boxes to be received. If they left it ambiguous on purpose, that is pretty evil.

ISNomads #78 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:41

Major

• Players
  • 39573 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO

View PostRaynorShyne, on Jan 11 2019 - 15:32, said:

Ok, I'll bite.

OP can't read (it never said LARGE loot boxes) and instead thought he and a 'friend' could take advantage of the holiday event.  Consistently, playing missions, you're awarded "LOOT BOXES" - they do not delineate large or small, but they're small.   Why would this language suddenly change for an ad campaign?

OP also cannot do math.   A Churchill III, 7 days Premium Time and 500 gold equate to about $17.00 of game value.   5 LARGE loot boxes are about $9 (52% of the other package value)

*IF* they were going to do that, WHY would you willingly go for $9 in value over a guaranteed $17 in value?

Tier 8 premium tanks.   That's why.   Sure, WG is going to give out a decent chance at a newbie getting a IS3A, a E25, or a Skorpion.    That's exactly what I want in MY tier 8 fights.   Someone learning to drive while my flank is getting smoked.   

OP should blame his 3rd and 4th grade English teachers and a sense of greedy entitlement - not WG

It was unclear at best, deceptive at worst. Nothing to do with reading skills.

That said, I am sure that many players were motivated by greed. In one case, players could create an alt account for free boxes (yes, platoon with themselves). In another case, they would be willing to potentially have the new player get less than other invite codes in order for the existing player to get something of significant value. Those are 2 reasons why people may have given out the loot box codes rather than the other codes.

TsarCidron #79 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:41

Major

• Players
  • 6882 battles
  • [RAID2] RAID2

View PostD1rkjr, on Jan 11 2019 - 10:23, said:

Wow, thats the dirtiest move ive ever heard of them pulling

Its pretty bad, but 2015 - WoWs.  Wargaming had a Humble Bundle Murmansk cruiser promotion that went waaaaay bad.  Warships was just coming out of Beta, going live... Wargaming basically reneged on a Humble Bundle saying "it was for beta only" (not beta tester only) but for that beta time only.   They were going to remove them post beta...  Needless to say, Warship beta testers were outraged.  Money was spent, etc.   Youtube personalities (not just wargaming community contributors, but big name You-Tubers) took to Youtube calling out Wargaming for their deceitful practices... Wargaming didnt like the negs... acquiesced.

Needless to say, This is hardly a new thing for Wargaming.   Make that promotion look like they are selling a new Mercedes, when in fact, they are selling a 15 yr old Civic.  And they wonder why we are leery of them.

RaynorShyne #80 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:45

Captain

• Players
  • 27385 battles

View PostISNomads, on Jan 11 2019 - 17:41, said:

It was unclear at best, deceptive at worst. Nothing to do with reading skills.

That said, I am sure that many players were motivated by greed. In one case, players could create an alt account for free boxes (yes, platoon with themselves). In another case, they would be willing to potentially have the new player get less than other invite codes in order for the existing player to get something of significant value. Those are 2 reasons why people may have given out the loot box codes rather than the other codes.

The 'recruit' is getting some FREE equipment for a FREE game that's FREE to play.

The 'recruit' is getting a fair deal.   

The recruiter didn't get what they mistakenly perceived they were going to get.   

Want to make it 'up' to your 'recruit'?  Spend $9 and get them large loot boxes.   Lord knows you guys are burning up a whole lot more than that in time crying about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users