WarGaming's latest refer-a-friend program was MANIPULATIVE, and CHEATS recruits out of a fair st...

Cheating Manipulative Scummy Refer-A-Friend Recruit-A-Friend Holiday lootboxes Reddit CabbageMechanic Promotion Invite codes

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

TheyCallMeGrim #81 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 14608 battles
  • [TOG3A] TOG3A

RaynorShyne, the offer was 5 "holiday lootboxes" each: 5 for the veteran, 5 for the new recruit. So if we were to double your estimate, you'll see that it's not so unreasonable an assumption. As an aside, can anyone find the phrase "holiday lootboxes" anywhere other than the email that we received?

Again, this was an invite code. Invite codes almost always offer something of value at least to the new player. The real question is why would anyone assume that WG was referring to the small boxes as an invite code reward.

The odds to win the tier 8s (and especially the IS-3A) appear to be very, very low. The boxes that I bought I bought for the gold, with no illusion that I'd win anything else.

landedkiller #82 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 00:52

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8532 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Jan 10 2019 - 23:38, said:

This isn't to mention that it makes all of us look bad, anyone who promoted the invite codes. Because all of us who received the codes were under the impression that it was going to be the premium lootboxes, we all promoted it as such.

Now, it's us, the ones inviting the new players, who look as though we had lied to the recruits about what they were getting... And the recruits are getting screwed out of a proper invite code.

So not only are we not getting jack, but now we look bad on top of this. My reputation has been slightly damaged, because of this manipulative ploy on WarGaming's behalf - One that I fell for.

Might be useful to post this to our other friends site the one with thing_1. Just saying 

TVV #83 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 01:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 55850 battles
  • [EZ_CO] EZ_CO

View PostRaynorShyne, on Jan 12 2019 - 00:45, said:

The 'recruit' is getting some FREE equipment for a FREE game that's FREE to play.

The 'recruit' is getting a fair deal.   

The recruiter didn't get what they mistakenly perceived they were going to get.   

Want to make it 'up' to your 'recruit'?  Spend $9 and get them large loot boxes.   Lord knows you guys are burning up a whole lot more than that in time crying about it.

If you go back in this thread, you will see that the OP was not the only one who thought WG was offering large boxes indeed. Unfortunately, many of us interpreted the offer to be for large boxes. The issue is not whether we fail at reading comprehension - nobody will be taking WGNA to court over this.

The issue is that many players feel misled. The purpose of this referral offer is to grow the player base and revenue, presumably. Instead, it may actually achieve the opposite result. What do you think, is this a good thing for the NA server? 

PapioTitan #84 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 01:23

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 42865 battles

HEAR YE! HEAR YE!

Hitherto and Henceforth, any mention of the words box, crate, chest or any variation of said container in conjunction with Holiday Ops shall be proceeded by the words Large or Small. Any absence of those two words shall be interpreted as, and inferring to, the rather small variety of container. The word Loot is deemed too general in nature and is hereby banished to the dungeons of Wot terminology.

Sorry...I've just started the Game of Thrones series and I'm hooked. Three seasons in three nights. I lack for sleep...

ISNomads #85 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 01:35

Major

• Players
  • 36541 battles
  • [WHAMO] WHAMO

View PostRaynorShyne, on Jan 11 2019 - 15:45, said:

The 'recruit' is getting some FREE equipment for a FREE game that's FREE to play.

The 'recruit' is getting a fair deal.   

The recruiter didn't get what they mistakenly perceived they were going to get.   

Want to make it 'up' to your 'recruit'?  Spend $9 and get them large loot boxes.   Lord knows you guys are burning up a whole lot more than that in time crying about it.

You appear to be confused... and trolling.

Ignored.

_War_Lock #86 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 02:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17182 battles
I didn’t get involved in this promotion, but when I skimmed it I assumed the Large boxes. Now, the optics are horrible with the reward being basically crap. Like the game doesn’t have enough trouble bringing in new folks, might as well irritate the existing folks too. Marketing  buffoonery such as this will not help this game survive

RaynorShyne #87 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 02:36

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

View PostTVV, on Jan 11 2019 - 18:18, said:

If you go back in this thread, you will see that the OP was not the only one who thought WG was offering large boxes indeed. Unfortunately, many of us interpreted the offer to be for large boxes. The issue is not whether we fail at reading comprehension - nobody will be taking WGNA to court over this.

The issue is that many players feel misled. The purpose of this referral offer is to grow the player base and revenue, presumably. Instead, it may actually achieve the opposite result. What do you think, is this a good thing for the NA server? 

Pointing to others who feel equally entitled is a defense?   

Huh.  I should have tried that one with Mom when I was growing up.  After all, if all the other kids were doing it.......

I'm sorry you guys feel misled.  I recommend either formally issuing a compliant, or getting over it.  Wailing on the forums will accomplish nothing

RaynorShyne #88 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 02:38

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

View PostISNomads, on Jan 11 2019 - 18:35, said:

You appear to be confused... and trolling.

Ignored.

There's no confusion.   The way I read it, there's no mistaking the intention.  Did it say "Large" loot boxes?  No.  It didn't.

BrokenBastion #89 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 12377 battles

View PostRaynorShyne, on Jan 12 2019 - 01:38, said:

There's no confusion.   The way I read it, there's no mistaking the intention.  Did it say "Large" loot boxes?  No.  It didn't.

It did not say small either, which is the whole point of it: taking advantage of the wording.

RaynorShyne #90 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:31

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

View PostBrokenBastion, on Jan 11 2019 - 20:06, said:

It did not say small either, which is the whole point of it: taking advantage of the wording.

Lodge  a formal complaint.

Send it to the Better Business Bureau. 

File it with the Federal Trade Commission.

ANY of those 'pie-in-the-sky' ideas would be better than complaining here.  Stating that WG is purposely 'cheating and manipulating' a brand new customer is inflammatory at best.

WG was phenomenal this Holiday Event.  Spend $5 - $10 bucks - get your boxes.

Scorpiany #91 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:46

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 34839 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostRaynorShyne, on Jan 11 2019 - 15:32, said:

Ok, I'll bite.

OP can't read (it never said LARGE loot boxes) and instead thought he and a 'friend' could take advantage of the holiday event.  Consistently, playing missions, you're awarded "LOOT BOXES" - they do not delineate large or small, but they're small.   Why would this language suddenly change for an ad campaign?

OP also cannot do math.   A Churchill III, 7 days Premium Time and 500 gold equate to about $17.00 of game value.   5 LARGE loot boxes are about $9 (52% of the other package value)

*IF* they were going to do that, WHY would you willingly go for $9 in value over a guaranteed $17 in value?

Tier 8 premium tanks.   That's why.   Sure, WG is going to give out a decent chance at a newbie getting a IS3A, a E25, or a Skorpion.    That's exactly what I want in MY tier 8 fights.   Someone learning to drive while my flank is getting smoked.   

OP should blame his 3rd and 4th grade English teachers and a sense of greedy entitlement - not WG

Additionally, understand you're talking about a FREE INVITE CODE.  There are plenty of folks who sign up after seeing a TV ad and receive nothing because they don't know codes exist.   

Alright, let's break this down bit-by-bit.

Block Quote

OP can't read (it never said LARGE loot boxes) and instead thought he and a 'friend' could take advantage of the holiday event.  Consistently, playing missions, you're awarded "LOOT BOXES" - they do not delineate large or small, but they're small.   Why would this language suddenly change for an ad campaign?

WarGaming specifies between the other two types of boxes when normally talking about them. One holds very little value, the other holds more significant value. The language should change for the purposes of honesty with their players.

Block Quote

OP also cannot do math.   A Churchill III, 7 days Premium Time and 500 gold equate to about $17.00 of game value.   5 LARGE loot boxes are about $9 (52% of the other package value)

It's 5 lootboxes per player - 5 for the recruit, and 5 for the recruiter, for a total of 10 boxes. Right around $18 of value for the total 10 large boxes, versus $17 of value for most other invite codes. Doesn't that make much more sense as a promotion, than the small boxes that hold next-to-no value?

Block Quote

*IF* they were going to do that, WHY would you willingly go for $9 in value over a guaranteed $17 in value?

Several reasons. Firstly, let's discuss this from just the new player's perspective:

- They're getting a minimum of 1,250 gold, and with even average / mediocre rolls, can expect about 2,000 Gold out of the boxes.

- They're getting a minimum of 5 Level 5 decorations, which especially with the other decorations, will get you to about Holiday Atmosphere Level 5

- Plus the chance of either credits / premium time / crew member / premium tanks

Even if they get nothing special from the boxes, they'll still have enough Gold to buy any Tier 5 Premium of their choice (Actually with the XP fever missions this weekend they'd be able to buy 2 Tier 5 Premiums with that Gold at minimum), instead of being restricted to the Churchill III. They'll have gotten to at least Holiday Atmosphere 5, which gives them 100% discounts on Tiers 2-10, and 2 female crew members. Plus they'll have something extra, that something extra is dependent on luck of course.

All of a sudden, that doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. Then when you consider that not just the new recruit isn't getting that stuff, but then the recruiter gets the 5 large boxes as well... That seems like a pretty interesting prospect.

Block Quote

Tier 8 premium tanks.   That's why.   Sure, WG is going to give out a decent chance at a newbie getting a IS3A, a E25, or a Skorpion.    That's exactly what I want in MY tier 8 fights.   Someone learning to drive while my flank is getting smoked. 

Sure, it's not a good thing for a new player to be driving around a Tier 8 Premium - But if they happen to get lucky enough to get one, then that will come in very useful once they've begun learning the game and can make use of it. They don't have to play it right away.

Block Quote

OP should blame his 3rd and 4th grade English teachers and a sense of greedy entitlement - not WG

Once again, they promoted this as something really special - And I think they very well knew what they were doing with that promotion. What value do 5 small boxes hold? Almost nothing. 5 small boxes don't seem worthy of marketing so heavily as they did. They're not "fine gifts", they're not worth the time for either player, and especially when you consider it's an invite code taking the place of any other invite code, then it only makes sense for players to assume that we'd be getting 5 large boxes instead.

As we said earlier, 5 large boxes for both players equal 10 large boxes, or about $18. A normal invite code is worth about $17. Those numbers line up. The numbers with small boxes, don't.

Block Quote

Additionally, understand you're talking about a FREE INVITE CODE.  There are plenty of folks who sign up after seeing a TV ad and receive nothing because they don't know codes exist.   

I'm one of those players who signed up without any code. Except here's the thing - WarGaming has been heavily promoting invite codes the past 2-3 years, encouraging players to make use of them as much as possible. They throw invite codes at CC's to promote, at Reddit to promote, into item bundles unrelated to WoT (They partnered with Intel and were distributing codes with PC's even) to promote them, and to YouTubers to promote in sponsored deals.

WarGaming wants new players to use invite codes. It only makes sense - Their tutorial system, while certainly better than when I signed up, is still lacking in many, many areas. An invite codes alleviates some of the pains for a new player to grind through the game, and in general incentivizes new players to keep playing through the rougher early Tiers.

Sure, it's free - But when WG promotes it in this way, e-mailing so many players and hyping it up, shouldn't they be honest with you what the players are getting? And shouldn't it actually be worthwhile to provide similar incentive to any of the other invite codes that they market / promote? All other codes that they advertise / hype up always tell you what you receive. This one was vague and ambiguous, presumably because they knew what kind of assumption people would make if they said "holiday lootboxes".

RaynorShyne #92 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:18

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

"It's 5 lootboxes per player - 5 for the recruit, and 5 for the recruiter, for a total of 10 boxes. Right around $18 of value for the total 10 large boxes, versus $17 of value for most other invite codes. Doesn't that make much more sense as a promotion, than the small boxes that hold next-to-no value"

- Sure - IF the SAME player was getting all 10 - otherwise it''s two different players getting $9

Again - It's not good when anyone feels manipulated.

However - 5+ pages of whining.    How many large boxes was claimed from that?   How many formal complaints have been lodged to 3rd party organizations with a substantive case of fraudulent business activities based off of a free offer?    

NightmareMk9 #93 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:34

Major

• Players
  • 32207 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

Scorp, you can't win with the Fanbois.  WG could hand us a S! Sandwich and they would say "WG gives you a free sandwich and all you people do is complain."

EVERYONE knows that WG is screwing people with this LOOTBOX referral code.

RaynorShyne #94 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:47

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

View PostNightmareMk9, on Jan 11 2019 - 21:34, said:

Scorp, you can't win with the Fanbois.  WG could hand us a S! Sandwich and they would say "WG gives you a free sandwich and all you people do is complain."

EVERYONE knows that WG is screwing people with this LOOTBOX referral code.

WG could say, "You get to design your own premium tank - then choose three more - any one you want - and we'll give you 10,000,000 gold" and people would find something to complain about.

Just checked BBB - no complaints against WG.   

Bill_Nye_the_RussianSpy #95 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 24258 battles
No more T95E2's? Guess im fortunate enough to have that turd.

Kliphie #96 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:10

Major

• Players
  • 31372 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostRaynorShyne, on Jan 11 2019 - 17:32, said:

Ok, I'll bite.

The game DOES refer to the rewards specifically as Small Boxes.  

J_Parker #97 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:11

Private

• -Players-
  • 278 battles

From what I have seen so far, Large Holiday boxes are purchased and Small Holiday boxes are earned. That terminology seems to imply that the "free holiday boxes" are of the Large variety since the smalls are already "free" (at minimum you can earn one a day by doing 500 damage, it can take a little doing, but it is at least achievable). 

So, awarding "Free Holiday boxes" that are already free seem pretty disingenuous at best when no other starter incentives are given to new accounts under this scheme. This whole experience has been disheartening. I have been trying to grind out as many of the small boxes as possible to get to the Tier X holiday rewards. What I really need now (currently sitting at Tier 9 decoration status, or whatever it is called) are tier V decorations to replace the tier IV ones. Five large boxes would have hopefully boosted that or at least provided more shards to craft what I need to backfill. Hopefully I can hit it hard enough this weekend while the event is still active to get there.

SpamNCan #98 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12757 battles
This new move is the reason I actively direct WoT players to other games, and advise anyone I know to avoid this game and all other WarGaming titles. Not to mention visiting popular Twitch channels and inform their user base just how sh!tty this company is.

Edited by SpamNCan, Jan 12 2019 - 05:34.

TheyCallMeGrim #99 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 07:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 14608 battles
  • [TOG3A] TOG3A
I am joining you in that sentiment. I just got canned responses from customer support, of course. One even said they understand how I feel because they’re a player, too, as if being made to feel misled by Wargaming really is part of the World of Tanks experience.

RAFOsprey #100 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 17:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4707 battles
  • [209RA] 209RA

Lots of text follows. It has been suggested that those of us not happy with the "Loot Box Hoax of 2019" submit a ticket. I did and over the past few days, this is what one sees:

I wrote:

You sent me an email with the included code...I gave it to my son and we followed the procedures only to discover that we would get "small" boxes instead of "large" ones, and late at that. I find the whole promotion deceptive, dishonest, and intended as a pathetic bait & switch scheme. The small boxes have essentially no, or minimum lasting in-game value and to have referred to them as "fine gifts" is overstatement plain & simple. Frankly, you all either screwed up or deliberately resorted to the despised level of a crooked snake-oil salesman.
If you do not honor the perceived spirit of the offer, you will have lost the trust of many players in future events. My son and I both feel cheated by the handling of this promotion and if the forum is any barometer, there are very many others. We are unlikely to support any company that behaves in this manner. You company does not enjoy the luxury of providing something we "need".
Remember that you initiated this debacle and the remedy costs you no material goods. What will ultimately cost you is to continue or repeat such a deception.

WG wrote:

Solved
Hi RAFOsprey,

Thank you for contacting Wargaming Support.

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you specially that you were not expecting to receive the free small boxes. As a player, I know how it feels because we've been there as well.

We'll make sure to forward your feedback to our development team for future improvement of the game. For the meantime, keep your eyes in our news page in order to not miss any events and offers in the future.

If you have other questions, please visit our FAQ page.

See you in the battlefield, Commander!

I clicked "Not Resolved" and wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me...that said, you have not "solved" the problem. I would hope that in the future your offers would indeed be clear and honest. That is the very least you owe your customers.
Sending me what I recognize as a canned, scripted response falls into the category of worthless contributions. Suggesting that I keep my eyes on the news page so I don't miss future events and offers is patronizing and insulting...you sent that last offer directly to me and that was manipulative and insincere.
Let me be clear; if you cannot correct this latest problem, that you created for those participating, many of us have no faith or interest in your "future events & offers".
I intend to offer these communications in the forum as I see no official response from the staff regarding this topic there. I appears that you are simply waiting for it to go away.

WG wrote:

Solved
Hi RAFOsprey,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We apologize for the frustration this might have caused and we understand that you are expecting a different reward. However, Please note that just like mission reward boxes, these boxes are the same boxes rewards from missions.

Still, we value your message sent to us that is why we have forwarded your message to our development team for further consideration.

We will take of this for our future events and offers. While we are sorry to hear of your frustration you may check the news page for relevant information.
https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/

For frequently asked questions, please click the link below
https://na.wargaming.net/support/

Have a great day!

I don't have the urge to click on the "My Problem Has Been Resolved" button.

Thanks for the bromides!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users