Jump to content


what is the best arty setup


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

rammcm #1 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:05

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 8130 battles
  • 16
  • Member since:
    03-25-2011

what is the best way to configure arty for all around good performance, which equipment is good for arty is coated optics or binos even a choice

 

 


Edited by rammcm, Jan 11 2019 - 13:07.


Kani_Bist #2 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:20

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 7655 battles
  • 214
  • Member since:
    08-26-2018

rammer- LONG reloads

EGLD- LONG aim time

Camo net- hide baby hide

 

Edit: Why do you need to see far (binocs, coated ops) your baser view range is garbage so even with equipment is still sucks, they will still see you first if you have no camo.

 

This all of course from a noob who has really only played the tier 5 french prem arty they gave me a few times......


Edited by Kani_Bist, Jan 11 2019 - 13:23.


kebab6597 #3 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 57856 battles
  • 9,081
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    04-16-2011

I use;

 

GLD, Rammer and camo for the open topped arty

 

GLD, Rammer and Vents for the closed top arty



ViseGrip #4 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:27

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 46984 battles
  • 312
  • [ROCKY] ROCKY
  • Member since:
    01-04-2011
Yea what Kani said..... A camo net, a rammer ,and the gun laying drive will be your best bet till you get your crew to 100% on concealment then you could switch out the net for a vent if you wanted to.

Dirizon #5 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 27926 battles
  • 5,259
  • Member since:
    06-05-2011

For most arty setups,  lE:  American, RU, German.,  use Rammer, GLD, Binocs.

These vehicles are too large, and do not benefit from camo net at all. Better off using Binocs

 

For french arty setups, their base vehicle class are mediums, lE:  Lorraine and Bat Chat, so they get more camo. You can use camo net for them

 

Unique artillery, like British SPGs and object 212A and M53/M55 are fully enclosed vehicles. Meaning they benefit from using improved vents. This helps them alot.  Rammer, Vents, GLD.

 

Vehicles like ConqGC, M53/M55 are the among the best artillery, and the most important artillery in the game. Consider using Bonds Purchasable lmproved venting, Rammer, and GLD.

 

 



rammcm #6 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:45

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 8130 battles
  • 16
  • Member since:
    03-25-2011

okay so far so good but why no spall liner would it not help

 



SlappedbyRommel #7 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 13:53

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 9260 battles
  • 273
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE
  • Member since:
    01-13-2017

View Postrammcm, on Jan 11 2019 - 13:45, said:

okay so far so good but why no spall liner would it not help

 

 

I just started arty just to do the missions and am trying all things mentioned above I did put liner on but really when you think about it if you are using a slow arty no point. Once the enemy sees you are dead really fast but if you have the M44 its is fast it can help you get out of  the target zone quicker - found sometimes you make it other times you don't.

Roggg2 #8 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 14:25

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21849 battles
  • 2,049
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015

Rammer, vents GLD always.  Aim time, accuracy,  and reload time are everything.  Camo net when vents are not an option.  Vision enhancements are a waste.  

 

Spall liner:  If you're taking fire it's too late for a spall liner to help you.  You are already dead.

 



Vava_das_SPGs #9 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 14:58

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 25621 battles
  • 2,141
  • Member since:
    06-02-2015
Shell Rammer and Enhanced Gun Laying Drive - the standard for arties whatever the tier.

As for a third equipment, depends of your game style. I'm not a player that keeps the same spot, and considering the view range nerf of Patch 9.18 I opt to install the coated optics.
I don't recomend to install the camo net on arties that have a narrow traverse gun arc (like lots of the russians, for example), but I recomend to use it on the ones that are semi-turreted.
I strongly recomend to install Vents on the arties that can use it (like SU-14-2, 212A, M53/M55, for example).

dunniteowl #10 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 17:02

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 30215 battles
  • 7,545
  • Member since:
    09-01-2014

View Postrammcm, on Jan 11 2019 - 06:05, said:

what is the best way to configure arty for all around good performance, which equipment is good for arty is coated optics or binos even a choice

 

 

 

Rammer

Gun Laying Drive

(Vents if it's closed top, Bishop, FV304 and a few others)

Camo Net/Improved Suspension

 

Maybe improved Optics, but that really feels like a wasted slot.

 

Anything you can do to shorten: Load Time, Aim Time

and anything you can do to increase:  Speed and Concealment

 

You are nearly wholly reliant on others to spot for you and it's really up to you to be aware of when you are about to be set upon by Red Team.  If you are spotted and not ready to be spotted, then you die.  Sometimes that happens even when you're ready, but you are responsible for your own defense and never rely on your team mates to come to your rescue.  It does happen, but you should never count on it or expect it, they are usually just as busy as you are and more often than not, too far away to make a difference.

 

For those reasons, the only things I do to increase spotting distance is Recon and Situational Awareness (as there are not that many skills the RO can offer that are useful beyond Concealment, Repairs and SA for an SPG).

 

The Commander should always take Recon first (until you can reset it to 6th Sense, which I do after they are over 50% on their third skill).  Presume you are always going to be spotted if you are out in the open and position yourself accordingly.

 

For faster SPGs the Optics might make a decent choice if you are going run around like an AMX or FV and running in TD mode.  Binocs are a TOTAL WASTE of time and you'd be better off with a Camo Net, honestly.

 

Hope that is helpful.

 

OvO



the_Deadly_Bulb #11 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 19:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 27000 battles
  • 6,593
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
  • Member since:
    03-11-2014

View Postdunniteowl, on Jan 11 2019 - 08:02, said:

 

Rammer

Gun Laying Drive

(Vents if it's closed top, Bishop, FV304 and a few others)

Camo Net/Improved Suspension

 

Maybe improved Optics, but that really feels like a wasted slot.

 

Anything you can do to shorten: Load Time, Aim Time

and anything you can do to increase:  Speed and Concealment

 

You are nearly wholly reliant on others to spot for you and it's really up to you to be aware of when you are about to be set upon by Red Team.  If you are spotted and not ready to be spotted, then you die.  Sometimes that happens even when you're ready, but you are responsible for your own defense and never rely on your team mates to come to your rescue.  It does happen, but you should never count on it or expect it, they are usually just as busy as you are and more often than not, too far away to make a difference.

 

For those reasons, the only things I do to increase spotting distance is Recon and Situational Awareness (as there are not that many skills the RO can offer that are useful beyond Concealment, Repairs and SA for an SPG).

 

The Commander should always take Recon first (until you can reset it to 6th Sense, which I do after they are over 50% on their third skill).  Presume you are always going to be spotted if you are out in the open and position yourself accordingly.

 

For faster SPGs the Optics might make a decent choice if you are going run around like an AMX or FV and running in TD mode.  Binocs are a TOTAL WASTE of time and you'd be better off with a Camo Net, honestly.

 

Hope that is helpful.

 

OvO

 

BIA. :great:

 

Works with open or closed top.

Food too.



SquishySupreme #12 Posted Jan 11 2019 - 21:17

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 3378 battles
  • 592
  • Member since:
    10-29-2018
It depends on the SPG, actually.

The open top/closed top is good advice, but a few SPGs are actually fine without the Gun Laying Drive.  The 304 (Bert) is a good example.  It actually works better with camo, vents and the rammer, because it needs to hide as its range is a laughably short 400-450 meters depending on the terrain and angle.

Other ones like the Russian bricks are so stupidly visible that you just want to aim and fire until you get shot.

Others that can be used like a makeshift TD, get the liner to take 2-3 hits to kill.  ( the U.S. T18 is a prime example - fitted as a TD, it is a good TD as well as a SPG )  The most fun I had in a match this last month as a SPG was in my T18 watching 50 cal rounds bounce - 3 entire clips from a Luchs - as I slammed him in TD mode.

rammcm #13 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 02:25

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 8130 battles
  • 16
  • Member since:
    03-25-2011

Thank you one and all, you guys have given me a lot of options and good ideas hope to see you in-game on the same side of course

 



Kajegamar #14 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 19:31

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 51964 battles
  • 29
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
  • Member since:
    10-12-2013
As an aside for arty set-up, I wonder why vents are not available for the tier X french arty.  It is fully enclosed and should have vents as an available module.  Other enclosed arty do e.g. Gun Conq, Battle Bus, 212A, and others.

Shrapnel_7372 #15 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 15:07

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 65279 battles
  • 175
  • Member since:
    03-05-2013

Train BIA first, why waste crew xp to retrain later. I train cammo 2nd and then sixth sense on the commander as 3rd skill. I run food on all arties and have several of the bond gun laying drives on top arties. Move after every shot will cancel the need for a spall liner. Buy the food consumables when they are on sale at 50% off.



firekitty #16 Posted Feb 20 2019 - 20:55

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 42960 battles
  • 792
  • [IMWAR] IMWAR
  • Member since:
    10-26-2012

  OP,

      Also keep in mind certain crew skills compliment mounted equipment, AND/OR make up for a weakness. As a newer arty player, you will have unskilled crews, plain and simple. Understand how crew skills work; for each percentage gained, the next takes slightly more xp to earn it. This is the same for EACH SKILL too.

     That means, the FIRST SKILL trains the FASTEST. This is why so many train Brothers In Arms PERK first. That added bonus sure helps all other learned and base skill. In an arty, clutch braking REALLY helps next skill on driver, especially in tank mode. It also helps AIM time just by being faster to rotate so reticle has more time to focus.



Goat_Rodeo #17 Posted Feb 20 2019 - 21:22

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 15281 battles
  • 1,570
  • [DHO4] DHO4
  • Member since:
    06-26-2014
I’d go lazyboy recliner, Netflix on a 50 inch, and blueberry waffles...




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users