Where should I aim at a SPG firing trace?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

elvisTank2 #1 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21 battles

Where should I aim after finding a SPG firing trace?

It is the end of the trace? Or half or one vehicle length further?

In other words, what is the WOT mechanism of starting showing a SPG firing trace? After bullet leaving gun? At the center of a vehicle? Or random within a range maybe?

Thank you!

GenPanzer #2 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:25

Major

• Players
  • 41207 battles
  • [F--H] F--H
I usually aim just behind the start of the trace figuring that either I saw it late or it comes from the end of the gun. Seems to work for me most of the time.

WhineMaker #3 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:28

Major

• Players
  • 35473 battles
  • [WHAAA] WHAAA

Not worth the time to reload or the cost of ammo to CB anymore. You have to get a lucky shot to do enough damage to destroy an arty with a single shot. If you are playing the T92 HMC or the CGC, the likelihood of getting a 1 shot is significantly raised, but still rarely worth it. Once you have a near miss, the likelihood reduces drastically, as most arty players will begin moving to different locations. 

You'll earn more XP taking shots at lit tanks and td's... 

:great:

elemantis #4 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16878 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON
when the shell leaves the tip of the barrel you will see it.

aim just behind the shell this of course can be tough depending what arty you play. fast shell velocity aim at the tip.

depending on the map, if theres a rock he may hide behind the rock while loading, be aware if you fire at him he will scoot and then try to find you so any shot after that make absolutely sure you move without watching your shell land.... just fire and move forward, dont back up its slower.

when firing at an enemy tank, during your reload you can check and see if you can spot enemy arty while you reload.

the tier 10 bc art us an autoloader, if you see someone get shot by him, find him quickly you may see his next round fire.

i have done this many times to very good success.

RNGesus__Giveth #5 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38872 battles
  • [GG2EZ] GG2EZ

View PostWhineMaker, on Jan 11 2019 - 22:28, said:

Not worth the time to reload or the cost of ammo to CB anymore. You have to get a lucky shot to do enough damage to destroy an arty with a single shot. If you are playing the T92 HMC or the CGC, the likelihood of getting a 1 shot is significantly raised, but still rarely worth it. Once you have a near miss, the likelihood reduces drastically, as most arty players will begin moving to different locations. 

This guy would know, having so many battles in arty.....

RaynorShyne #6 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:29

Captain

• Players
  • 26171 battles
  • [C92] C92

Depends on your splash.   The center-mass of the vehicle should be a 1/2 vehicle length behind the tracerline.  of the few arty pieces that do move, they normally go backwards.   Aiming a full vehicle length from tier VIII to X is recommended.  

If you use gold rounds - now is a time to use them - you want as big of a splash as possible.   American SPGs excel in CB

24_inch_pythons #7 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:29

Major

• Players
  • 26200 battles
  • [-P-] -P-
 The tracer starts basically from the middle of the SPG. The best way to learn is to practice in a training room, set up two SPGs, both on the flag of their respective cap circle, fire away and get used to seeing the tracer.

elemantis #8 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16878 battles
  • [DEVON] DEVON
once you shoot an arty, dont look for him if you hit him, he will move so you can fire a few shells then continue your search during reloads, usually a splash kills em off

4TankersAndDog #9 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 06:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 26568 battles
  • [122MM] 122MM

dunniteowl #10 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 07:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 25376 battles

The tracer actually starts at the point where the barrel starts on the tank (it does NOT start at the end of the barrel).

Depending on your dispersion circle and the distance, you aim for a bit behind where the tracer started.

As to whether or not it's worth it?  I got my first CB about six months ago.  I now have six of them.  I tend to play shorter range units and any time I have a chance to take a shot at my counterparts on the other side -- I take it.  Only six badges, but then you have to take out at least two units to get it and oftentimes you don't get more than one, maybe two shots at an SPG in an SPG before some other unit deletes it.  I have taken out plenty of Red Team Arty, just not all of them often enough to get more CBs.

I think it's worth it whenever you can.  I'm usually too busy shooting spotted targets to practice Counter Battery regularly.

I tend to aim about half a length behind the tracer.  This allows my dispersion ring to cover the most likely rearward portion of the Red SPG.  That's the place most likely to go BOOM in one shot and the rest of the front of the SPG acts -- usually -- as an 'obstacle' to the flight path of the shell, thus increasing the chance of a good strike.

OvO

CapnCarberry #11 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 05:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6331 battles

View Postelemantis, on Jan 12 2019 - 04:28, said:

when the shell leaves the tip of the barrel you will see it.

aim just behind the shell this of course can be tough depending what arty you play. fast shell velocity aim at the tip.

depending on the map, if theres a rock he may hide behind the rock while loading, be aware if you fire at him he will scoot and then try to find you so any shot after that make absolutely sure you move without watching your shell land.... just fire and move forward, dont back up its slower.

when firing at an enemy tank, during your reload you can check and see if you can spot enemy arty while you reload.

the tier 10 bc art us an autoloader, if you see someone get shot by him, find him quickly you may see his next round fire.

i have done this many times to very good success.

Just behind the start of the trace. Statistically,  he won't have moved an inch. If the shell goes where you aim and it doesn't hit, YOU need to start moving after every shot (assuming you were dumb enough to not be doing so anyway) cause you are facing the rare competant arty player. He will eat you.

cdc1701 #12 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 06:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 17904 battles

I usually aim about 1cm to 1 inch behind the start of the trail, but it depends on the map (arties cannot situate anywhere else and must be a small location) or if they are on the map edge (will only go forward if at all).

That said, I hardly ever counter battery, it is incredible dull and counter productive compared to damaging spotted tanks.

24cups #13 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 16:26

Major

• Players
  • 23301 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
If the tracer is near a bush chances are the arty is in the bush. Especially if he's a noob. Center bush....boom.

SpectreHD #14 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 16:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16754 battles
  • [TT] TT
WG should make all tracers visible all the time. The way it was in Closed Beta and early release. It made counter battery arty an actual thing and would expose arty to danger from the beginning of match instead of the current only in danger at the late game. It also makes return blind fire for normal vehicles easier. So being able to fire while invisible still carries some risk.

Edited by SpectreHD, Jan 16 2019 - 02:39.

GeoMonster #15 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 17:11

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 32002 battles
  • [MUG-D] MUG-D

View PostWhineMaker, on Jan 11 2019 - 21:28, said:

I will disagree with you on this one ... I think it is worth the time.  I am in the game for the WIN, not for maximizing XP (except for missions).  If I can easily take out one or all of the enemy arties, that is less damage they can do to my team.  On many maps the arty hiding spots are very few and well known to arty players :) ... on these maps it is relatively easy to CB.  On the rest of the maps, I look for my team to ping the probable arty square.  If I am in a long reloading Arty, I can spend half that time searching for tracers, then focus back to the other tanks.  It all depends on the battle conditions and if my team needs the arty support in a given location.

I do need to keep in mind that if I do CB, then the enemy arty will return the favor and target me.  So it is now more move and scoot.  And if the enemy arty damages me, then woe to him for I can CB with the best of them!

rascal30 #16 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 18:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 15344 battles
My best counter arty game was 2 completely blind shots on areas where I thought the enemy was located (adjacent knocked down trees, no tracers) and then a kamikaze kill on the third for the winning kill.  The 2 blind shots were a good portion of luck but hopefully they learned to a lesson about knocking things down. 

QuicksilverJPR #17 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 18:37

Major

• Players
  • 26428 battles
  • [RPG] RPG

View PostWhineMaker, on Jan 11 2019 - 22:28, said:

While this is mostly true, it's also highly situation advice (like any advice given in this game).

I think on certain maps, CB is a must for the first minute or two.  Then you can work on digging out those HTs and such.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users