Jump to content


Cellphone Carriers are selling your real time location..

Can You Find Me Now?

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

TheManFromKekistan #1 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:31

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 28 battles
  • 2,787
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

I knew the global spread of gps enabled always on smartphones would lead to this. :angry:

 

https://threadreader...4066796544.html



T2Easy4ME #2 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:35

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 119 battles
  • 290
  • Member since:
    09-24-2017
That seems incredibly unconvincing.

GeorgePreddy #3 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 14680 battles
  • 13,055
  • Member since:
    04-11-2013

Who cares ?  Everybody has to be somewhere.  Nobody but my wife really wants to know where I am in real time anyway.

 

Only criminals and disloyal lovers need to hide in the shadows.

 

I carried 2 cell phones and a SAT phone while I was flying the 747 on global routes.

 

When I retired, I returned the SAT phone to the company and threw the cell phones in the trash.

 

I haven't carried a phone in several years... it's nice (my wife has one, so there's that).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



TheManFromKekistan #4 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:47

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 28 battles
  • 2,787
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

View PostT2Easy4ME, on Jan 11 2019 - 22:35, said:

That seems incredibly unconvincing.

 

There is no way you read through the link, its attached evidence and the subsequent updates to it in four minutes..  :P

 

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Jan 11 2019 - 22:45, said:

Who cares ?  Everybody has to be somewhere.  Nobody but my wife really wants to know where I am in real time anyway.

 

Only criminals and disloyal lovers need to hide in the shadows.

 

I carried 2 cell phones and a SAT phone while I was flying the 747 on global routes.

 

When I retired, I returned the SAT phone to the company and threw the cell phones in the trash.

 

I haven't carried a phone in several years... it's nice (my wife has one, so there's that).

 

 

Well what the motherboard writer is saying is that even regular citizens can get this info. Say you just had a bad breakup and your ex is the homicidal revenge seeking type you had to put out a restraining order on and moved to a new home to get away. Oops your cover because you only need a name not a number to get tracking info. Basically you go to a bounty hunter or private investigator and they get the info for you and I'm sure there are many other ways if its resold as much as is implied.

 

 

 


Edited by TheManFromKekistan, Jan 12 2019 - 04:51.


T2Easy4ME #5 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:50

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 119 battles
  • 290
  • Member since:
    09-24-2017

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Jan 12 2019 - 04:47, said:

There is no way you read through the link, its attached evidence and the subsequent updates to it in four minutes..  :P

Nope, but the bits I read didn't convince me.

I'm not arguing, just saying what I think.



TheManFromKekistan #6 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 04:54

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 28 battles
  • 2,787
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

View PostT2Easy4ME, on Jan 11 2019 - 22:50, said:

Nope, but the bits I read didn't convince me.

I'm not arguing, just saying what I think.

 

Well ok but this isn't some random guy making a claim. Its a writer for a well established online magazine who bought his own location through a bounty hunter. If that doesn't piss you off then I don't know what to say. I guess the programming really is unbreakable for some.. 

 

 

 


T2Easy4ME #7 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:08

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 119 battles
  • 290
  • Member since:
    09-24-2017

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Jan 12 2019 - 04:54, said:

Well ok but this isn't some random guy making a claim. Its a writer for a well established online magazine who bought his own location through a bounty hunter. If that doesn't piss you off then I don't know what to say. I guess the programming really is unbreakable for some.. 

Well I wouldn't be surprised and I don't really care \o/ like how is it going to affect your average citizen?



RoIito #8 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:18

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 16784 battles
  • 718
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_
  • Member since:
    12-23-2016

Only by using the internet you are giving a lot of your info to companies like Google or Microsoft, if the carriers know your real time location does it make a difference?

 

Also Google by default tracks your location in any Android device, not sure if it still does it when you "turn off" the GPS, wouldn't be surprised if it did tbh.



TheManFromKekistan #9 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:26

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 28 battles
  • 2,787
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

View PostT2Easy4ME, on Jan 11 2019 - 23:08, said:

Well I wouldn't be surprised and I don't really care \o/ like how is it going to affect your average citizen?

 

By allowing the average citizen to track someones location they don't like and harm them or con them or do some other type of unwanted shenanigans? Violent crime doesn't have any real day to day effect on the average citizen because total unlawful deaths each year are only a tiny fraction of a single percent of the total population at large. But in the specific areas where it is concentrated its a huge issue for daily life. Criminals would have a field day with this ability along with every shady debt collection agency around and all the Nigerian prince wannabes and on and on and on.

 

View PostRoIito, on Jan 11 2019 - 23:18, said:

Only by using the internet you are giving a lot of your info to companies like Google or Microsoft, if the carriers know your real time location does it make a difference?

 

Also Google by default tracks your location in any Android device, not sure if it still does it when you "turn off" the GPS, wouldn't be surprised if it did tbh.

 

That's the issue. They are selling the info to pretty much anyone due to the terrible regulation and not sitting on it like their privacy terms state. This brings up tons of privacy issues because they are not supposed to sell personally identifiable information.

 


Edited by TheManFromKekistan, Jan 12 2019 - 05:29.


SnakePliskan #10 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 06:20

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 27 battles
  • 912
  • Member since:
    07-09-2016
Not sure what the general public can or will do about this. Not sure I care if anyone knows where I am at. If I were a person involved in criminal activity or had a bunch of social drama in my life maybe I would care but probably not. HOWEVER if there is a class action I can get a check for out of this then HELL yes I am outraged.

heavymetal1967 #11 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 08:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 71516 battles
  • 21,042
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

https://www.adweek.com/programmatic/att-and-t-mobile-say-theyll-stop-selling-user-location-data/

 

https://gizmodo.com/black-market-for-your-location-data-apparently-thriving-1831584165

 

 



Klaatu_Nicto #12 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 09:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 44041 battles
  • 10,459
  • Member since:
    09-21-2012

They can also activate your phone's microphone and listen.

 

 

 

 



Klaatu_Nicto #13 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 09:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 44041 battles
  • 10,459
  • Member since:
    09-21-2012

Public Waking up to Fact that 5G has not been Proven Safe for Human Health
https://healthimpact...r-human-health/

 

 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users