Can't switch to artillery view in SPG

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

8thIDairborne #1 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 08:29

Private

• -Players-
  • 7922 battles
Thought I'd try an SPG (SU-18) to see how they work, but every time I've tried to play I can't get the birds-eye-view to come up when I push the left shift key. In fact, I've tried pushing just about everything to no avail. I've watched all of the arty videos and read all of the tutorials I could find and I can't even get past step one. What am I doing wrong? 

8thIDairborne #2 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 08:57

Private

• -Players-
  • 7922 battles
DOH! Disregard, key was changed in SETTINGS.

Panman69 #3 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 14:31

Captain

• Players
  • 35760 battles

View Post8thIDairborne, on Jan 12 2019 - 07:29, said:

Thought I'd try an SPG (SU-18) to see how they work, but every time I've tried to play I can't get the birds-eye-view to come up when I push the left shift key. In fact, I've tried pushing just about everything to no avail. I've watched all of the arty videos and read all of the tutorials I could find and I can't even get past step one. What am I doing wrong? 

+1 for bringing this issue to the forums after having tried finding the resolution yourself. I'd give you another +1 just for trying arty but can only give one.

View Post8thIDairborne, on Jan 12 2019 - 07:57, said:

DOH! Disregard, key was changed in SETTINGS.

+1 for coming back to the forums to not only let readers know your issue was fixed, but how it was fixed. Many other players will only bring their issues to the forums but never let us know which, if any, of the suggestions worked.

I'd give you another +1 for continuing the work on fixing the issue while waiting for a reply from the forums, but, again, can only give one.

8thIDairborne #4 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 17:30

Private

• -Players-
  • 7922 battles
Thanks Panman, definitely a simple but frustrating oversight on my part. I have to say that trying to learn SPG play at Tier II is pretty ridiculous, the other team's scouts are usually at the base before you can even get set up and find a target. It took me 11 games to even score a hit. I hate being a totally useless teammate, is there any other way to get any SPG practice without bumbling around in a game?

Panman69 #5 Posted Jan 12 2019 - 23:33

Captain

• Players
  • 35760 battles

View Post8thIDairborne, on Jan 12 2019 - 16:30, said:

Thanks Panman, definitely a simple but frustrating oversight on my part. I have to say that trying to learn SPG play at Tier II is pretty ridiculous, the other team's scouts are usually at the base before you can even get set up and find a target. It took me 11 games to even score a hit. I hate being a totally useless teammate, is there any other way to get any SPG practice without bumbling around in a game?

Well, my first few arty games, I didn't know about the Left Shift button to put me into arty mode. I ended up playing those games strictly in TD mode. So, knowing you needed to use that button puts you ahead of where I was when first starting out. 

As far as practice, unfortunately, playing is the best way.

Yes, you'll get enemies that 'yolo' to your base. My best advice when that happens is to just make sure you're put yourself in an 'arty safe' place. Then, you, and hopefully your teammates, can focus on the intruders.

And, when trying to hit lights, sometimes, it's best to wait a few to see if they're driving in a pattern(straight, back-n-forth, in a circle, zig-zagging predictably, etc.). Then, when you go to shoot them, lead them...even if they're zig-zagging, it's possible to know when and where that next zag is going to happen. It may take you a little bit of time to judge 'fly-time' based on how far you're shooting and which arty you're playing, but, eventually, you'll be able take out a light that's already disappeared from view now-and-then.

Also, go to http://wotreplays.eu/ and download some of the arty replays that are there(you'll have to make sure they are from the current update. Otherwise, you won't be able to run them). Watch how they play. Pay close attention to when and where they shoot. 

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

8thIDairborne #6 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 02:11

Private

• -Players-
  • 7922 battles
Thanks for your time and advice. I'll jump right in and take some whippings, I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users