Crew Training

Method and Play

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Der_Kobold #1 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 20:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 11812 battles

Although, I have been playing WOT for years.  I never had any interest in crew training.  But recently I took an interest.  I am trying to learn the best way to train them.  How quickly can you train them?  I see buying the crew stuff like coffee will speed their training, and being in a premium tank, and etc. etc.  There is even a list of those parameters.

But is it a good Idea to have just a few well trained crews?   Or is it better to have lots of guys who are all training, all the time?   Or is there advantage with moving a untrained crew into a tank with a highly trained crew?

Ndtm #2 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 21:03

Major

• Players
  • 17694 battles

food consumables doesn't improve the rate at which they learn, they however improve their effectiveness in battle which in result can allow you do do more in the battle which results in a higher crew experience from the battle, so while not directly it is indirect.. and the best is probably.. premium tank + personal reserve + premium time + some crew exp tank event..

And personally i'm not one to retrain my crews so i have a lot of low skilled crews except for the tanks i keep around and have fun playing.. but that's up to yourself on how you want to do things, i did do it at one point but couldn't bother with it since i don't have gold to spend to retrain to 100%

death_stryker #3 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 21:27

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

Seeing that you are free-to-play, I would recommend not worrying about crew training, the reason being that the rate of training is simply too slow without premium tanks and/or premium account. As long as your crews have 3+ skills, that's good enough (i.e. lots of guys who are all training, all the time).

Food does not speed up crew training, and there is no advantage to moving an untrained crew into a tank with highly trained crew .

Ta_Hun_Kwai #4 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 21:27

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17058 battles

View PostDer_Kobold, on Jan 13 2019 - 11:56, said:

Although, I have been playing WOT for years. I never had any interest in crew training. But recently I took an interest. I am trying to learn the best way to train them. How quickly can you train them? I see buying the crew stuff like coffee will speed their training, and being in a premium tank, and etc. etc. There is even a list of those parameters. But is it a good Idea to have just a few well-trained crews? Or is it better to have lots of guys who are all training, all the time? Or is there an advantage with moving an untrained crew into a tank with a highly trained crew?

ok the food doesn't speed them up in training it just gives them a boost for 1 battle the best way to train up a crew is to just grind the tank with the same crew over and over if you have a premium tank that is of the same country and tank type the crew can be put into the premium with no retraining and earn more exp in it then in a normal elite tank

oh one quick tip if you have all the tank in a tech tree line and you unlock the next tank don't buy a 75% or 50% crew for the new tank buy a new 75% crew for the lowest tier tank in the line then move up all the old crew 1 tier if the old crews are 100% in their tanks they will start 90%(if same tank type) or 80%(if different tank type)

Edited by Yao_Wang, Jan 13 2019 - 21:38.

_IronPig_ #5 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 21:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 112364 battles

These things will increase the rate at which crew members train skills and perks:

• play on a premium account
  • play the crew members in premium tanks
  • use Personal Reserves for Crew XP
  • check off the box for "Accelerate Crew Training" on Premium and Elite vehicles
  • convert Free XP to Crew XP (personally I don't think that is a good use of Free XP but it is an option, and it's on sale this weekend)

Keep in mind each set of skills/perks takes twice as much Crew XP as the previous set did -- to train the first skill/perk to 100% takes appx. 200k crew XP.  Second set takes appx. 400k, third set 800k, etc.   

PotatoLegend99 #6 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 21:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 35389 battles

The WoT wiki will provide you with extensive super in depth answers to everything you're wondering and more: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

Crew members earn a percentage of the base combat experience you earn at the end of a battle. So the better you play, the faster your crews will progress. Consumables and equipment do not speed up their training; they just improve the overall abilities of your crew and tank. Premium tanks, elite tanks, premium time, and crew boosters all speed up crew training. At least as long as you play well.

Your crews are constantly training in every tank you play. That's a natural part of the game play. As you mostly play lights, mediums, and arty and low tier tanks in general, my recommendation is to train Concealment as your first crew skill on every crew member. When you reach a second skill, reset the first skill to Brother in Arms and start training Concealment as your second skill again. In my opinion those are the two most useful crew skills at lower tiers.

Trebor1415 #7 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 22:12

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 18782 battles
  • [ROGER] ROGER
As a free to play player here's what I found is best for crew training.

First off, the minimums what you should train.

Commander - 1st skill - Sixth Sense (The only exception might be arty, as if you need Sixth Sense, you are probably going to die anyway).

Radio operator - 1st skill - Situational Awareness - You really want to bump up that view range ASAP. This is true for everything except maybe arty where it doesn't matter as much. Even heavies need view range for those times they have no one to spot for them and they are getting sniped or hunting the last enemy tanks. (It's not a skill, but you also want binos or optics for most tanks except arty)

All other crew - Whatever you like for first skill. I like Snap Shot for gunners and Smooth Ride for Drivers. Concealment is always a good choice. Repair is good too, especially for heavy tanks instead of concealment as you aren't gonna hide that heavy anyway.

2nd skill - Brothers in Arms for whole crew. This will help with view range and improve their performance overall.

3rd skill - Commander -  Recon - Again to bump up that view range (notice a theme here)

3rd Skill Other crew - Whatever you like. BIA was vital for second skill. For third pick up whatever looks most useful. For TD's and Lights I like Concealment. For Mediums either Concealment or some of the specialized gunner and driver skills (you likely already have Snap Shot and Smooth Ride by now. If not, get them now). Repair is always a good fall back if you don't know what else to get.

When you have to add a new crew member because your new tank has a spot your old tank didn't have, always train them in BIA first as it only works if the whole crew is trained in it. They should train quickly as they will have less XP then the other crew.

Now how to most efficiently train your crews:

First off, get your tank to Elite status as quick as possible and then enable "Accelerate Crew Training." This will give your least trained member more XP.

Then collect some Personal Reserves from various events. If you can, wait until you get tossed some free Premium time from an event to use the PR's. If you've gathered up a bunch of PR's and haven't been given any Premium time then just start using them. Run the "Increase XP" and "Increase Crew XP" bonuses at the same time. Again, best if you have Premium to use them with, but if you've earned a bunch and don't anticipate any free premium time, use some up.

Even without free Premium tank you can also save some PR's to use with the special X5 XP weekends that run periodically. It's the next best thing. And, if you have Premium time during an X5 weekend, use up all your PR's. Don't sleep, play!

And here's a big tip: Move your trained crews up the tech tree to the next tank as you advance. You'll take a little XP loss, and it will cost some credits to train them back to 85 or 90 percent skill, but taking a two or three skill crew up to the next tank in the branch is much better than starting over with an entirely new crew.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a Premium tank of the same type just to train crew, but WoT gives away Premium tanks all the time so if you get one that is the same tank type as the crew you want to train make sure to run your crew in that tank AT LEAST for the daily 2x XP every day you play. You may want to play the Premium tank more if you like it, but run it at least once a day. Then put the crew back in their regular tank for that tanks' 2XP.

Bonus tip: Any crew of the same tank type (lights, mediums, etc) can operate the premium tank with no penalty. This means you can take the 100% trained crew from your Premium tank and switch their training to a regular tank of the same type. (Crew from a Premium medium can be switched to a tech tree standard Medium, for instance).

This gives you some 100% trained crew you can use to fill in the gaps (need an extra gunner? Grab the guy from the Premium tank) or even crew an entirely new tank with that Premium tank crew. And, since any crew (of that tank type) can run the Premium tank, they can still go back into it for the Premium tank bonus and the daily X2.

Never, ever, recruit new crew members to specialize in a Premium tank. There is no point to specialize them in the Premium tank since they will be able to run it without being specialized in it anyway.

da_Rock002 #8 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 22:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 9157 battles

View PostDer_Kobold, on Jan 13 2019 - 14:56, said:

Although, I have been playing WOT for years.  I never had any interest in crew training.  But recently I took an interest.  I am trying to learn the best way to train them.  How quickly can you train them?  I see buying the crew stuff like coffee will speed their training, and being in a premium tank, and etc. etc.  There is even a list of those parameters.

But is it a good Idea to have just a few well trained crews?   Or is it better to have lots of guys who are all training, all the time?   Or is there advantage with moving a untrained crew into a tank with a highly trained crew?

I took a look at your garage and noticed you have a premium T26E5 and three other US heavies (T29, M6 and T1).

Assigning one crew to a pair of tanks, with one of the pair being a Premium, does something good for you.   The crew has the chance to gain skills faster for one thing.  The other is that you get the benefit of having a more highly skilled crew in two of your tanks.   The crew gets the benefit of two 2X battles each day instead of one.

Smart players seldom buy a crew when they buy a Premium.   They buy the Premium without a crew and use a regular crew to fight in the tank.    In your situation, you'd assign 5 of your M6 crew to your T26E5 and those 5 crewmembers would wind up benefitting from two 2X battles each and every day.    There is no cost to assign crew to a Premium from another vehicle of the same class (like the heavies listed).    It's easy to bounce one crew between two tanks when one is a Premium and the crew is originally assigned to a non-premium.

The dual-assigned crew winds up seeing a higher percentage of it's battles benefitting from the daily 2X bonus with this setup.     And YOU benefit from having a higher skilled crew in TWO tanks in fewer days than if the two tanks had two crews.

It's fairly easy to do.    Send your present T26E5 crew to the barracks.   Send the crew of your T1 or M6 to the barracks.   Go to your T26E5 in the garage.   Click on each unassigned crew position and select the M6 crewmember from the list available.   When you got the T26E5 crewed with M6 crew, go fight a battle.    After the battle, any time you wish to Battle in the M6 or the T26E5 the crew setup to fight in those 2 is either in the tank or one click away.

It's worth doing.     And it doesn't cost a credit to setup or use.

Edited by da_Rock002, Jan 13 2019 - 22:19.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users