Seriously whats the rest of the map for?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

01LT #1 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 21:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 30703 battles

Seriously why make a map that big if everyone on map is going to end up in 1 spot.Cant these WOT DEV's make a single good map with flanking options. No map should be made were it has 1 spot in map that is its whole purpose. Also no map should be made for a certain class of tank to be in a certain spot on map. Any map made where 80% of the time its played 80% of all players on map both teams included in up in 1 area of the map its a bad map. What the rest of the map for?

Doing the same thing over and over is not fun. If that is the plan of MAP MAKING the only MM that matters then make the game a side scroller. Better maps, better game play, no complaints about bad match making because everyone would have chance to flank on tank and get shots in on side or behind. That would makes even some of the lowest pen power tanks dangerous. Stop making maps where 1 side is for heavy's and the other is for lites and mediums. Stop cloning same of basic design. Make some maps obstacle base and get away from the hill lemming corridor funneling type you keep cloning in each map put out. I 

whats needed..

Full urban map no buildings taller than 2 stories destructible to a point short blocks not long funneling blocks

Full forest map  that makes you use mini map with 100 meter visibility.

I swear EL HALLUF is nothing but clone of CLIFF, WESTFIELD,PROVINCE and i could go on and on.

Lastly... The funniest thing I ever seen in this game is seeing a team lose with 11 players still alive on the other side of map on a hill or in some corridor while you got one lone person on the other team capping. More importance should be put on capping and the reward should be multiple times greater. its the hardest thing in game to do. You know where they are and you cant kill them and all caps are in wide open areas.

That should warrant a better reward.

Edited by 01LT, Jan 14 2019 - 22:21.

cloudwalkr #2 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 55170 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

Gotta hate those loose teams.

On a serious note, I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some of what you say.  The overall bit I agree with is that WG map design team are horrible and need replacing.

MagillaGuerilla #3 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 25306 battles
The maps are dumbed down so players don't have to think. That's why they're all clones of each other, same game play over and over.

GeorgePreddy #4 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:16

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

I like El Halluf... it's a fun map.

Mac_1952 #5 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 55949 battles
  • [DADS] DADS
It would be nice if the maps had random objectives, in that the objectives varied in location.

01LT #6 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 30703 battles

I corrected my TYPO just for you.

So you cant agree and cant dispute anything i said was wrong? WOW thanks

Dead_Zombie #7 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:29

Major

• Players
  • 39450 battles
  • [SUX] SUX
I cant wait for the day all the people who complain about a map design, actually have a drawing of a map design they think would work.. until then, its all blah blah blah..

SporkBoy #8 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:40

Captain

• Players
  • 39980 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
The maps play different depending on battle type.

Slone #9 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:40

Captain

• Players
  • 19248 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostDead_Zombie, on Jan 14 2019 - 16:29, said:

I cant wait for the day all the people who complain about a map design, actually have a drawing of a map design they think would work.. until then, its all blah blah blah..

So you're saying that you can't criticize a meal unless you're a chef? You can't say an umpire/referee blew a call unless you officiate a game yourself? You can't say a movie sux unless you've written a screenplay? Of course not, that's silly, the same as your post.

Goat_Rodeo #10 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13505 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

Yes and no. Maps like El Halluf and Cliff actually have a usable mid areas, tank composition and game progression dependent. Also lights and mediums can take advantage of those areas early on. But maps like Provence and the new Fijords are pure turds with large unusable central areas surrounded by fun-nels . I’m trying to like the new General Tao map, but teams just don’t understand the mid section well enough to take advantage of it and consequently either refuse to push there or high stakes suiscout it. It’ll take time. 

Not sure what the answer is but I’ve tried the later development open random style maps of Blitz years a go and it was truely random and chaotic. You had no idea if you’d run into a Death Star, Maus, OBJ 140 or a 110E5. There was no real meta and it was an anything goes type of affair, and consequently most teams blobbed together and moved en masses or camped near the spawn. I don’t think that formula would be a healthy one here tbh. 

Edited by Goat_Rodeo, Jan 14 2019 - 22:44.

NARWL_Legend_Soviet #11 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:48

Captain

• Players
  • 25305 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

I mean it isn't WG's fault the players go where they go. WG builds maps with plenty of spots to utilize but the vast majority of players don't know anything besides the usual heavy brawl area, TD snipe platform or medium position. At the end of the day it is the player base who mainly decide the meta of maps. WG isn't the one playing this game, they aren't telling you where to go every game. This is a problem with the mentality of players, TD's must go to TD sniper position. Well no, there are plenty of ways to use TD's in close to mid range brawls. But players who don't fully understand the game just continue to go to the same spot over and over. Yes there are positions on the map that are more suited to certain vehicles, but their are often times plenty of ways to counter those positions using lesser known positions. Thats part of the difference between a bad player and a good player, understanding map dynamics and being able to use unconventional spots to their advantage. 

Dead_Zombie #12 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:50

Major

• Players
  • 39450 battles
  • [SUX] SUX

View PostSlone, on Jan 14 2019 - 15:40, said:

So you're saying that you can't criticize a meal unless you're a chef? You can't say an umpire/referee blew a call unless you officiate a game yourself? You can't say a movie sux unless you've written a screenplay? Of course not, that's silly, the same as your post.

you missed the point, instead of complaining about a map, think of what a solution could be. hence, lets see your idea of a good map. its easy to criticize anything... kinda like you did with my post about ur post.

and in your examples, sure I can criticize a meal, but I guarantee you know what is wrong with it, and how to fix it.. a referee makes a bad call, yea, but i know what they did wrong. a movie, sure, but i could also give an example of what was bad, and what they should have done better in my opinion... none of which you offered, just sayin

Slone #13 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 22:57

Captain

• Players
  • 19248 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S

View PostDead_Zombie, on Jan 14 2019 - 16:50, said:

you missed the point, ...

Perhaps you could have explained yourself better in your initial post. Had you said what you did in your followup initially, I'd have had no issue.

Zogbert #14 Posted Jan 14 2019 - 23:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 29418 battles

View PostSlone, on Jan 14 2019 - 15:57, said:

Perhaps you could have explained yourself better in your initial post. Had you said what you did in your followup initially, I'd have had no issue.

Odd that I understood what DZ was talking about in his/her (don’t want to assume) initial post.  Maybe I assumed something there also.

repsolroger #15 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 00:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 45339 battles
  • [-UFA-] -UFA-
Paris...I himmelsdorf with white building pretty much..lol.....but when they say look a new map ..but almost half of it is huge buildings or massive mountains....with about the same drivable area of mines....how hard is it.??? But himmelsdorf on the track side make 3 bridges that cross to other side..

ThePigSheFlies #16 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 00:42

Major

• Players
  • 67079 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostSovietMemeBear, on Jan 14 2019 - 16:48, said:

I mean it isn't WG's fault the players go where they go. WG builds maps with plenty of spots to utilize but the vast majority of players don't know anything besides the usual heavy brawl area, TD snipe platform or medium position. At the end of the day it is the player base who mainly decide the meta of maps. WG isn't the one playing this game, they aren't telling you where to go every game. This is a problem with the mentality of players, TD's must go to TD sniper position. Well no, there are plenty of ways to use TD's in close to mid range brawls. But players who don't fully understand the game just continue to go to the same spot over and over. Yes there are positions on the map that are more suited to certain vehicles, but their are often times plenty of ways to counter those positions using lesser known positions. Thats part of the difference between a bad player and a good player, understanding map dynamics and being able to use unconventional spots to their advantage. 

to win consistently definitely requires the map awareness, and flexing that you hint at, as well as an understanding of each team's composition, etc. - that being said, the games' top players also know that ignoring the heat maps is not going to yield consistent results.

one of the biggest reasons that every wnx metric has incorporated damage into an attempt at correlating to wins is because damage, especially early damage  is how wins are consistently created, and going to an unconventional spot is not going to consistently result in winning, and it's often why you see some of the games top players that bother to stream this game still, taking their medium tanks to heavy brawling pits like south on Paris, or the choke point on el haluf in the north west.

in general I very much agree with your statement about "TD's going to TD spots" is not the correct view point to have, but there are definitely many maps where ignoring the typical heavy engagements is a bad idea as well (at least while solo pubbing)

that being said, as a predominately support class/LT player I do tend to try to influence matches by NOT face checking brawling points, which is in part why I have such angst for such trash funnel maps as Abbey, or Mt Pass...

Anublister #17 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 02:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 66269 battles
  • [--T--] --T--
Kids cry when they have to think. 

Girl_in_a_garter #18 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 02:40

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3158 battles
The symmetrical happy face maps are pretty ridiculous.

01LT #19 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 21:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 30703 battles

You all totally missed the point.

If all you can do and all that is done on a map is what the map was intended for it not a fun game. The same thing every time every game. Every map out there has that 1 spot everyone goes and pounds it out ignoring 80% of the map. Any deviating from how the map was set up to play does not end up well for the that player deviating.

There is something seriously wrong with you people if you can see that these maps are made to force you to play there way.

There is no map editor in this game of people would come up with there own maps. So all you can do is complain.

I swear I could find a  6 year old from Liechtenstein that could make better maps than what the DEV's are putting out.

As i said before....... What is the rest of the map for?

ARCNA442 #20 Posted Jan 15 2019 - 23:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13911 battles
  • [RE4GD] RE4GD

View PostMagillaGuerilla, on Jan 14 2019 - 16:10, said:

The maps are dumbed down so players don't have to think.

Correction - they're dumbed down so heavy tank players don't have to think. Lights, Mediums, and even TD's have to think harder than ever to make a useful contribution. WG has very obviously decided that point blank brawling in heavy tanks is the future of this game and they are going to keep making maps that cater to that playstyle (Paris for instance is actually a great map if you are in a top tier heavy).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users