Anyone know if this is a good deal? MSI GV62 8RE Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Necrolegion #1 Posted Jan 20 2019 - 06:58

Major

• Players
  • 19965 battles

I start school soon. My old Asus laptop has been having problems that I haven't been able to identify (nor Asus support). I was looking for a laptop replacement when I found this deal.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154830

Its $919 with taxes & shipping here in California and comes down to $770 with the $150 mail-in rebate from MSI. I'm a student and a gamer. I tend to game mostly on my desktop at home, but occasionally game at school or friend's houses. IDK if this is a good investment or if I should instead try to fix my laptop or find a better deal. I mostly play WoT, Overwatch, GTA V, Borderlands (all of them), The Division and soon to be Ace Combat 7.

Thanks!

AudDog_56 #2 Posted Jan 20 2019 - 08:05

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 11668 battles
  • [GST] GST

I am not a computer guy and far to old to be a student,  so my perspective may not apply to you, take this reply with  grain of salt. A lot of trying to fix the old computer will depend an its age and how much of an upgrade you can afford for a new purchase. As a general rule in is not wise to fix the old one. What was top of the line 2 -4 years ago in now mid range and the price of comparable components has come down as they are no longer the new best thing.

The 1060 graphics card is very usable as is the 8th gen processor, even though I5 is lower end. I am not sure 8 M of ram is enough now days. Storage has gotten so cheap, no one would ever use up 1T hard drive. The last time I was in the market a couple years age that size SSD was all the rage. Don't know anything about that brand, please do your research and look for positive reviews from people who have run it for a while, not just opened the box and are all happy! Sub $800 seems reasonable to me but its not my money. Shop til YOU are satisfied this is the best deal.

TheManFromKekistan #3 Posted Jan 20 2019 - 09:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 28 battles

View PostNecrolegion, on Jan 20 2019 - 00:58, said:

I start school soon. My old Asus laptop has been having problems that I haven't been able to identify (nor Asus support). I was looking for a laptop replacement when I found this deal.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154830

Its $919 with taxes & shipping here in California and comes down to $770 with the $150 mail-in rebate from MSI. I'm a student and a gamer. I tend to game mostly on my desktop at home, but occasionally game at school or friend's houses. IDK if this is a good investment or if I should instead try to fix my laptop or find a better deal. I mostly play WoT, Overwatch, GTA V, Borderlands (all of them), The Division and soon to be Ace Combat 7.

Thanks!

Without the rebate there are a few better deals but as long as you mail it in and can wait for the money to come back its a great deal and should run your games no issues. 

DeathComesForU #4 Posted Jan 20 2019 - 10:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 10963 battles
  • [-TIM-] -TIM-

Looks like a fairly good deal, I was looking at the same one when I was trying to decide on a new laptop to buy. With that one, you wouldnt have any problems playing most games on high around 60fps for sure. 

I ultimately ended up choosing a different laptop in the end because;

-The battery life on this thing is terrible, only about 2 hours on normal usage.

-The screen is lacking and really dull

-The keyboard lighting is only red and kind of ugly in my opinion

-keyboard has bad reviews and is uncomfortable

-The touchpad sucks

So I ended up paying 800 or so on a CyberPower laptop a few months back and my god its amazing. It only had a 7700hq with a 1050ti, but it performs about the same as an 8300+1060 with marginal difference. Considering how much time I spend on the laptop during and outside of class, its really important to find a computer with a keyboard you will feel comfortable typing with. 

Leopard9250 #5 Posted Jan 20 2019 - 11:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 29685 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

Sadly if your computer has a serious issue it's simply more cost effective to just ditch it. Time is money, and if you have to spend countless hours troubleshooting something that's not likely to work, even with tech support, and then pay hundreds of dollars to get it fixed, it's not worth it IMO.

That being said, for just a bit more $ you can get more VRAM which will really help out for the future. The processor is a bit weak too.

I'd look for something with at least a GTX 1060. (6GB of VRAM) The processors aren't going to be super good for price since they're shoved into laptops, but that's just the trade off.

If you mainly want to game, get a thick laptop. The bigger size usually means that they won't have temperature problems. Of course if you're in the lecture hall it can be a bit unwieldy, but I still prefer bigger laptops.

Computers aren't things you really want to compromise on when it comes to price, since we spend so much time on them.

I recommend a brand called Eluktronics. I bought a laptop from them last year and I have no issues with it. There's no bloatware installed, and their computers, in my opinion, are a good value. You may want to look at those.

Good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users