KV-2 learning curve

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Thirty_BR #1 Posted Jan 27 2019 - 20:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4702 battles

So I have a little over 100 battles in my KV-2 and Until literally like the last 5 or 7 battles, I literally dreaded playing this tank. I would normally just get one shot and die and or just not be able to hit anything. After reading many posts on how to play and watching many you tube videos on people playing it, I am able to finally do about 600 to 900 damage per game, before I bite the bullet.  I think my rating in this tank was as low as 29% at one time. I am in the 40 something % range now. But my point of this post was just to let others know that if you are like me and struggling to figure out this Derpy thing on tracks, give it a while to click. It is weird, but after many failed attempts I think I finally figured it out. My crew is pretty decent for tier 6, and I am using vents, rammer & GLD.

Crew has sixth sense, repairs, and BIA. Some % into Snap shot and when ready for next skill selection, will pick clutch braking, recon, situational awareness, and I think camo on loaders which I will switch to safe stowage and what ever the the other perk is for fast reloads when less than 10% health is. That is about as far I have gotten though. 

I have hopes to get more damage per battle as I improve with this tank.

So as for things that really helped me improve with this tank was applying what I have learned from watching Zeven and 4tanksanddog on you tube. The two of them, and the only two I have found,

That literally “take you by the hand and walk you through the map”. And I am the type of person that needs this. I am not the the type of person that can go play maps and figure it out on my own. I have many maps still to watch on there channels still, but for a you tubers as far as taking you by the hand and teaching someone how the maps should be read/played, these two are fantastic. 

Lastly, The reason why I am playing this tank is not because it’s the DERP GOD, but because I want the S-51.

Edited by Thirty_BR, Jan 27 2019 - 21:01.

tod914 #2 Posted Jan 27 2019 - 21:11

Major

• Players
  • 63119 battles
Best thing to do is, post some replays of your game play so it can be evaluated.

Edited by tod914, Jan 28 2019 - 19:46.

lordpelvis #3 Posted Jan 27 2019 - 21:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41469 battles
  • [SMAX] SMAX

Always have some kind of cover. Fire and get into cover.

That's the best advice I can give.....

The_Pushok #4 Posted Jan 27 2019 - 23:04

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15056 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

Yea, that thing takes some getting use to. i love playing it though.

Its accuracy it pretty poor and will troll you, I have been like right up next to the target and still miss. 

Never be by yourself in it, reload is too long. Do not ever be in the open, that thing is too big, too tall, and too slow to ever do open field battle. The concealment sucks, remember that. 

Chillum #5 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 21:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 15038 battles
  • [_TGK_] _TGK_

View PostThe_Pushok, on Jan 27 2019 - 22:04, said:

Yea, that thing takes some getting use to. i love playing it though.

Its accuracy it pretty poor and will troll you, I have been like right up next to the target and still miss. 

Never be by yourself in it, reload is too long. Do not ever be in the open, that thing is too big, too tall, and too slow to ever do open field battle. The concealment sucks, remember that. 

This. Always be ready to fire and get back behind some sort of SOLID cover. Stay with the pack. Make your shots count. See a HT next to a lightly armored MT? Send that MT back to the garage, don't waste that 20 second(iirc, been awhile) reload on the pittling dmg the HT will take (150-200 vs 500-900) unless theres nothing else to shoot at.

If nothing else, make sure that whoever you are shooting at will take at least the 20 seconds to get around your solid cover so that you are ready to fire again when he DOES finally come around that corner.

Remember that you're in a KV-2, remember that this game has been out for 8 years. Remember that most of us have been derped by a KV-2 before. Remember that even if you can't see them, there are people watching you waiting for you to fire so that they can start lighting you up. Know that when top tier YOU are the number one target for 80% of their team. They want you in the garage with as little damage done as possible. They know every time you reload you can delete a tank. Most often the unicums will be gunning for you at the very least, if there are any in that game. 

If possible you want your strike to be a surprise. Im not saying sit in the back. Im not saying hide. But take lanes that you know you won't get spotted. Be ready in a supporting position so that when that cheeky medium tries to flank your friendly HT who is providing the front lines you can see the fear in his eyes as you get spotted with a clear shot fully aimed  into his flank. Laugh as you see him punch his S key and try to backpedal from the giant mistake he made. 

Afterwards just provide more support. Do not stick your turret out into fire, it will not block anything. Wait for the enemy to get too aggressive, or if theres only one or two tanks you can trade, you are the king of trading (providing that YOU dictate when the shooting happens, no one will match you shot for shot, least not for long), just beware of trading all your hp away.

Try to aim for the rear of tanks. Not only is it less armored but you may hit ammo racks (usually more towards the turret) or fuel tanks (further back) and everyone likes to see detonations.

EDIT: Last time I played my kv-2 was pre Japanese heavies. Remember that they pack as big a punch as you, but with better armor layout.

Edited by Chillum, Feb 04 2019 - 21:02.

THEBridgeTroll #6 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 17:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 14360 battles
  • [ABIRD] ABIRD

View PostThirty_BR, on Jan 27 2019 - 19:57, said:

So I have a little over 100 battles in my KV-2 and Until literally like the last 5 or 7 battles, I literally dreaded playing this tank. I would normally just get one shot and die and or just not be able to hit anything. After reading many posts on how to play and watching many you tube videos on people playing it, I am able to finally do about 600 to 900 damage per game, before I bite the bullet.  I think my rating in this tank was as low as 29% at one time. I am in the 40 something % range now. But my point of this post was just to let others know that if you are like me and struggling to figure out this Derpy thing on tracks, give it a while to click. It is weird, but after many failed attempts I think I finally figured it out. My crew is pretty decent for tier 6, and I am using vents, rammer & GLD.

One thing about the KV-2 that helps me a lot is AIMING. I find most KV-2 drivers just auto-aim, click, and do damage

it works sometimes othertimes it doesn't. Most times when a KV-2 sees another KV-2 they both autoaim click and whoever hits who first and reloads first wins the fight. Try to AIM, yeah it isn't the best, but aim for weakspots don't rely on AutoAim, aiming in the KV-2 turns it into a god. If you aim right below an enemy KV-2's gun in your own KV-2 you can 1 shot them.

while as if you auto-aim you're gonna do 300-400dmg per shot.

QuicksilverJPR #7 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 16:31

Major

• Players
  • 26869 battles
  • [RPG] RPG
The learning curve is as follows...fire at tanks when they can't really hit you in return...then 20 seconds later, do it again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users