You tubers for the new players to watch

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

dunniteowl #41 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 16:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

View PostThirty_BR, on Jan 29 2019 - 14:07, said:

I want to mention these two particular you tube people. I have watched many you tube videos, but I really think that these two people are doing it right for new players of WOT. I have yet to find anyone else who walks you through each map and shows what, why and why not to do certain things. Just type the names below in google and they should pop up.

Zeven

4tanksanddog

Both of these folks are my Primary Sources of Learning when it comes to WATCHING.  Zeven, in my opinion, is the single best source of transmitted information if you are willing to pay attention to what he says.  4Tankersanddog provides some of the best, bar none, training type or "How To" type videos.  All the rest of the YT personalities out there pale in comparison to these two.

In fact, the biggest issue with MOST YT personalities out there for WoT are not really there to educate and provide you with 'training' type information, they are basically there to either entertain you or show you the latest tank's capabilities IN THEIR HANDS, which doesn't really provide the average tanker and especially those relatively new or low performance seeking to get better the information that will truly benefit them.

Wing Up, OP, you have hit the YT Nail on the Head!

OvO

Thirty_BR #42 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 16:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4448 battles

View Postsoslo, on Feb 01 2019 - 17:04, said:

I want to throw out a blog for you from 13disciple in -G-. He is a very good player and has a learn to play guide that works for every skill level. https://www.13discip.../l2p-guide.html I HIGHLY recommend you check it out, it is a wealth of easy to digest info on all aspects of WoT. 

Like I said in an earlier post, I do a short news show almost daily about the goings on in WoT PC to help people keep up on all the stuff that is going on! 

https://www.youtube....c8L1M_pyGnRjfhV

Good luck! Feel free to PM me in game and maybe we can toon sometime!

I like 13 disciple. Very good place for a new player. For anyone whom has not been here, It literally takes you by the hand, and I mean literally by the hand. This person starts right from the get go, Boot camp. If you follow this persons website you will come out with the tier 6 token for a tier six tank. Unfortunately, when I completed this boot camp, I was only awarded a t36-85M rental for 12 day if I recall correctly and a tier 3 elite tank with a 100% crew and also a commander with sixth sense. I think the tier 6 token came into the game maybe after I started playing.

Now that I have had some time to watch so many videos by you tube personalities recommended to this thread. I I need to say that now when I watch videos, I can follow the battles much clearer. The dots so to say are connected now for me. But I strongly feel that  Zeven and 4 tanks and dog are by far the most helpful as far as taking the viewer by the hand and truly teaching. These two are talented in WOT, but I have witnessed from their you tube videos their richer passion and talent to teach. So, if you are new to playing WOT and if you are searching for videos to learn WOT, sadly this is a niche area of you tube that leaves much to be desired.

Now I am off to figure out how to stop over extending my self. Thank you for your input. 

Edited by Thirty_BR, Feb 04 2019 - 17:16.

GReattaz #43 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 17:40

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 28774 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

GreatTaz. Average player showing average games. Not epic game where the player has 5 perk crews and more credits and gold than fort knoxs. Still working on getting better and showing how not to play at times. Even shows you his stupid mistakes. Mostly has fun winning or losing.

Youtube.com/user/greattaz

Edited by GReattaz, Feb 04 2019 - 17:53.

GReattaz #44 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 17:49

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 28774 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

View PostMetalgod_, on Jan 30 2019 - 11:23, said:

Some of Sliphantoms older guides are good...and funny, its too bad he doesn't make them anymore. Weather WG likes him or not you cannot ignore QuickyBaby either. His guides are good, he is a competent player and what he says about the game, popular in Minsk or not is for the most part true....

You know QUICKYBABY only started opening up about his negative thoughts "AFTER" Claus Kellerman got his CC status. 

Main reason Jingles STOPPED being a CC is because of his disgust for WG's WoT teams thought process about making the game and ignoring the community.

Edited by GReattaz, Feb 04 2019 - 17:54.

TLWiz #45 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 04:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 21146 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT

Guido1212 for some good gameplay videos that teach you a useful thing or two.

Skill4ltu to watch a highest level player's game play. 

AwsomeEpicGuys for the WoT equivalent of Beavis and Butthead (not necessarily a bad thing)

View PostGReattaz, on Feb 04 2019 - 17:49, said:

You know QUICKYBABY only started opening up about his negative thoughts "AFTER" Claus Kellerman got his CC status. 

Main reason Jingles STOPPED being a CC is because of his disgust for WG's WoT teams thought process about making the game and ignoring the community.

Jingles quit being a CC because AW bought him.  That ended badly for him since AW could never get a player base to speak of and AW Vids were as popular as beetloaf.

Edited by TLWiz, Feb 05 2019 - 04:20.

Thirty_BR #46 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 20:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4448 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Feb 02 2019 - 09:03, said:

Both of these folks are my Primary Sources of Learning when it comes to WATCHING.  Zeven, in my opinion, is the single best source of transmitted information if you are willing to pay attention to what he says.  4Tankersanddog provides some of the best, bar none, training type or "How To" type videos.  All the rest of the YT personalities out there pale in comparison to these two.

In fact, the biggest issue with MOST YT personalities out there for WoT are not really there to educate and provide you with 'training' type information, they are basically there to either entertain you or show you the latest tank's capabilities IN THEIR HANDS, which doesn't really provide the average tanker and especially those relatively new or low performance seeking to get better the information that will truly benefit them.

Wing Up, OP, you have hit the YT Nail on the Head!

OvO

Dunniteowl,

You got me thinking for past two days on your post. May you please go more in depth on the two things you mention. May you explain the difference in transmitted information vs training/how to  information. You pointed something out to me I had not even considered this whole time watching these two gentleman. I want to know more, so please teach me about these two things that I just assumed were the same thing.Thank you, I do appreciate this information by the way. This is great stuff! 

dunniteowl #47 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 02:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

View PostThirty_BR, on Feb 05 2019 - 13:16, said:

Dunniteowl,

You got me thinking for past two days on your post. May you please go more in depth on the two things you mention. May you explain the difference in "transmitted information vs training/how to  information." You pointed something out to me I had not even considered this whole time watching these two gentleman. I want to know more, so please teach me about these two things that I just assumed were the same thing.Thank you, I do appreciate this information by the way. This is great stuff! 

Sure, no worries.

Zeven transmits information.  He's not "teaching" you "How To" anything as a specific set of instructions.  He points out during the replay reviews moments where this or that player should have played more Peek-a-Boom, bullied his opponent, turned tail and run, clipped out, repositioned and then returned.  He points out when you should be effectively 'ridge surfing' for example, versus finding a good cover position and doing some passive scouting, that sort of thing.  It happens as he's reviewing the player's replay sent for review.  It happens in nearly every utterance of reviewing. 

You have to be paying attention to Zeven's patter as he reviews to get it, however, if you do, you find yourself being 'educated' in all manner of tactics, strategies, map awareness, terrain awareness, the psychology of when to press and when to retreat and it is irrespective of tier, tank or class during these moments.  So in this light you're not getting, "How to Light Tank Properly," or "How to Sidescrape and Get Hull Down," as a rule.

Now, let's talk about 4Tankersanddog.  When you're watching his YT videos, you are Primarily Getting a set of specific Tank/Class instruction on:

How to Scout this Map, How to Angle and Sidescrape with This Tank, How Vision and Spotting Works, The Ins and Outs of Autoloader Tactics, etc.  His Tanking With Science Series literally informs you how the mechanics of the game work and then how they are applied to different tank classes as a set of specifically useful tips, tricks, tactics and techniques.

The difference between these two YT WoT Tankers couldn't be More Different in nature and style.  The RESULT of paying attention to BOTH of them is priceless, regardless of your specific flavor of tanking.  Both these folks are geared toward teaching you how to do things and when to do them, yet their verbal styles and instructional techniques are completely different.  One is less formal and geared to replay reviews where just about every sentence is instructive or informative on what to do when with the occasional explanation of HOW to DO THAT, whereas the other is pretty much a more formalized instructional technique geared to showing you, How To Do This Sort of Thing with This Kind of Tank or How This Stuff Works and How to Apply That to Your Tanking.

They both, along with Guido1212, whom I will have to add to my list of YT links in the WWP and Dauntless Tanker, both of these folks have different styles as well, though you could compare Guido1212 to 4Tankersanddog, while you could favorably compare Dauntless Tanker with Zeven in overall style and pacing, even though both of these two others are not the same as either of their compared to counterparts.

I think players benefit from a variety of instructional style BUT IT MUST BE GEARED TO INSTRUCTION and not mere entertainment or a 'showing off' of one's individual skill sets as a form of 'instruction.'

You can learn a lot from watching better players, but you cannot suddenly increase in leaps and bounds in getting better without CONTEXTUALLY RELEVANT information being transmitted that makes watching those better players worthwhile AS INSTRUCTION.

For this reasoning and explanation I provide the two whom I consider to be the BEST at this instructional format for New and Sub Performing Tankers, because they provide the best verbal transmission of information that is directly relevant to what you are watching when it happens.

As for MY credentials in making such a claim, I have been a person who has been 'instructed' by a plethora, perhaps a legion of different people in the course of my storied and varied 'career' path from early school in primary education all the way up and through college, the USAF, IBM, AMD, Intel, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (yes, I worked on the Atom Smasher's computing systems) and a whole host of other jobs that ranged from digging ditches, gardening, shoe sales, being a janitor, ranch hand, zoo keeper, soap maker, driving a tractor, learning all manner of emergency, fire safety, counseling and managing/commanding large numbers of people.  Zeven is the single best transmitter of information I have ever come across in all that time and I rubbed elbows with wise "Will Rogers" types and also with folks with so many PhDs that they needed someone to pick out their clothes and tie their neckties for them smart.

I would turn out videos, except that I simply do not have the skills of play that would make me feel competent to teach with any credibility.  That, and my method of instruction can be rather dry, abstract and -- worst of all -- wordy for many.  That alone reduces my effectiveness without having a captive audience.  :)

As Clint Eastwood said as Harry Callahan, "A Man's gotta know his limitations," from The Enforcer.

I consider myself to be a very good observer and a very good collector of information.   I do not consider myself a really good teacher unless you're a small kid full of wonder at nature or are interested in Practical Applications of Metaphysics in Life.  Other than that, I just do me.

Hope that was helpful, informative and useful to any and all -- and maybe just a touch amusing for some of you paying more than average attention.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

TheChief1893 #48 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 20:52

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 39621 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA
Trouble is the streamers very rarely play below tier VIII. So as far as learning for new comers. It is frustrating trying to take their advice. also be careful watching videos of games because its usually a top tier game that they did well in not a normal game.

Thirty_BR #49 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:36

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4448 battles

Wow, That is great Dunniteowl. Thank you. When I read what you wrote, it made sense to me and I understood what you explained. I just needed to read it to understand it. Thank you.

Thirty_BR #50 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 13:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4448 battles

So yeah this is huge for me. i knew I go the most from these two youtubers specifically. but now after what you posted, I went back and rewatched a few of both their videos and now its totally clear for me. So very nice to be able to recognize these things. I know I am ranting, but these details to me are the things that the new player is definitely going to benefit from before and after battles through out the very steep learning curves of WOT. OK, I am done. One last  thank you to every ones input.

If I knew how, I would make dunniteowel's explanation a sticky for this forum. Anyway..................

dunniteowl #51 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 19:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

View PostThirty_BR, on Feb 06 2019 - 17:36, said:

Wow, That is great Dunniteowl. Thank you. When I read what you wrote, it made sense to me and I understood what you explained. I just needed to read it to understand it. Thank you.

View PostThirty_BR, on Feb 07 2019 - 06:47, said:

So yeah this is huge for me. i knew I go the most from these two youtubers specifically. but now after what you posted, I went back and rewatched a few of both their videos and now its totally clear for me. So very nice to be able to recognize these things. I know I am ranting, but these details to me are the things that the new player is definitely going to benefit from before and after battles through out the very steep learning curves of WOT. OK, I am done. One last  thank you to every ones input.

If I knew how, I would make dunniteowel's explanation a sticky for this forum. Anyway..................

I found myself, after going through MANY different YT 'personalities' to 'get better' at the game, that these two were, by far, the most useful to me.  Now I recognize that I am an "odd duck" type of person (I mentioned I worked on the Atom Smasher, right?  Plus I have done gardening, shopkeeping, computer building, shoe sales, aircraft radio repairs -- so I have a very diverse and wide ranging set of interests that most recently allowed me to be a Zookeeper and a Soap Maker added to my many different 'jobs' held).  This, however, provides me the perspective of what it takes to train folks who have little to no experience with things and those who think they 'know' all they need to in order to get by (you'd be surprised how many high tech folks are complete and utter idiots in everything, inclusive of the finer points of their 'profession' and you'd be equally surprised by how wise and knowledgeable a 'lowly' gardener or janitor can be).

For the New Player and the Sub 48% Player who Wishes to Get Better, these two are the best sources of information that is relevant, easy to digest and is FULL of information that WILL HELP YOU GET BETTER, bar none.

Circonflex, Quicky Baby, Uberdice, LemmingRush and all those other really good players out there mostly entertain you and mostly show you what THEY CAN DO with the tanks they play.  For the most part, they do not Instruct You and they absolutely DO NOT provide you with what could be called adequate Training Material as Training Material.  Zeven and 4Tankersanddog DO.  (there's a pun there)

If you have to take 2nd String, then Dauntless_Tanker and Guido1212 are RIGHT BEHIND those two top listed YT personalities.  (This is BY NO MEANS a criticism of ANY other players that do YT videos (and is not a slight to the '2nd stringers,' either)).

If you are a Better than 50% player, you still could do well to watch these two, though you may also be seeking more Tank Specific Knowledge and this is better done by many others than Zeven or 4Tankersanddog, simply because they don't perform this 'service' as a general rule.  If you are above the 55% mark and seeking improvement, it is possible that the best method at that point would be to platoon with someone at or above your level who plays differently than you do.

As a start, though, the two listed are, in my view, simply the best this Community has to offer.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

LemmingRush #52 Posted Feb 13 2019 - 00:50

Major

• Players
  • 15793 battles

View PostRECON_RANGER, on Jan 29 2019 - 17:23, said:

yea, it's his thought processes that are the problem. 

I do not recommend anybody watching lemonmush. 

Lemonmush with sugar tastes like lemonade so i dont find this very insulting.

GAJohnnie #53 Posted Feb 13 2019 - 06:28

Major

• Players
  • 10038 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Personally I think Lemming Rush is one of the better training CCs.

Edited by GAJohnnie, Feb 13 2019 - 06:33.

Bada_Bing_Bam_Boom #54 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 15:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1228 battles

I was reading this topic yesterday and I decided to go watch the two named youtubers seeing how ive only watched quickybaby . I thought 4tanksdog guy was really good for light tanks.

I also started searching for WOT youtubers and i came across a guy with only a few videos, ends up he just started and I thought he was very funny, mr beetlebum

he seems to be new at video based on the his filming but he seems to be getting better with each video.

death_stryker #55 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 06:12

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4575 battles
  • [LUCID] LUCID

Since people have already talked about who to watch, I'll talk about who not to watch (i.e. try to learn from). These are people whose content absolutely will not help new players improve, and will more likely confuse them.

Top players who cater to good players:

- Content from these people will often focus on things that new players do not understand at all, and will not understand without significant personal effort. Even for those who are working hard to learn, watching (and thus emulating) these guys tends to lead to stress and frustration more than to improvement.

- Examples: Skill4ltu, SirFoch, LemmingRush, any WGL-level players

"Fun" content creators:

- Content from these people are not meant to educate, or tend to misinform the uninformed. These people contribute heavily to the cognitive dissonance some players experience.

- Examples: Claus Kellerman, Jingles, Circonflexes (only sometimes, I guess)

FineousOrlon #56 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 09:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20965 battles

View PostTLWiz, on Feb 05 2019 - 04:15, said:

Guido1212 for some good gameplay videos that teach you a useful thing or two.

Skill4ltu to watch a highest level player's game play. 

AwsomeEpicGuys for the WoT equivalent of Beavis and Butthead (not necessarily a bad thing)

Jingles quit being a CC because AW bought him.  That ended badly for him since AW could never get a player base to speak of and AW Vids were as popular as beetloaf.

Mmm, I accept that Jingles quit for the reasons he said, finishing with the mistreatment of Foch.  In the end, he quit for 2 reasons.  He stopped streaming because players focussing on killing him ruined the game for him, and it was then easier to give up CC status when he did not trust WoT EU and their treatment of WoT CCs [Foch in particular], and looked for other games to YT and stream.  He did not totally burn his bridges with WG, because WoWS is run by a different crew, and Jingles probably did not want to kill his channel in one day.

View PostThirty_BR, on Feb 05 2019 - 20:16, said:

Dunniteowl,

You got me thinking for past two days on your post. May you please go more in depth on the two things you mention. May you explain the difference in transmitted information vs training/how to  information. You pointed something out to me I had not even considered this whole time watching these two gentleman. I want to know more, so please teach me about these two things that I just assumed were the same thing.Thank you, I do appreciate this information by the way. This is great stuff! 

Good Q to ask.

View Postdunniteowl, on Feb 06 2019 - 02:23, said:

Sure, no worries.

[redacted:  good info from DunniteOwl]

Simple explanation for Zeven:  He was a good player who became a good clanner,  and then a good, calm, clan caller, then his clan got him to train other callers.  He brings all of this, his calm, his understanding of the game, his understanding of the meta of the maps, his understanding of tank characteristics, and his ability to teach/ train others, to his instructional work.

He also has a few pithy phrases that will prompt one to correct, or better, thinking/ actions.  This is a side effect of his abilities, mentioned above.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users