Are we going to be able to play Frontline this time?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

mjmdiver #1 Posted Jan 30 2019 - 06:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7805 battles
It seems pretty crappy that WG doesn't support Mac directly, but it is what it is... Did anyone figure out how to make Frontline stable in the last session with it last year?

waikin_umu #2 Posted Jan 30 2019 - 06:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11978 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

didnt know any1 else was using mac lol

Edited by waikinboom2, Jan 30 2019 - 07:00.

black_colt #3 Posted Jan 30 2019 - 20:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 4135 battles

View Postwaikinboom2, on Jan 29 2019 - 21:58, said:

didnt know any1 else was using mac lol

Sounds like you are jealous that we can legally run Linux, macOS, and MS Windows on our Apple-branded hardware ...

At least we can switch from the hot-mess [and not in a good way] that MS Windows is anytime we want with a simple reboot.

black_colt #4 Posted Jan 30 2019 - 20:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 4135 battles

View Postmjmdiver, on Jan 29 2019 - 21:52, said:

It seems pretty crappy that WG doesn't support Mac directly, but it is what it is... Did anyone figure out how to make Frontline stable in the last session with it last year?

Since Wargaming has decided that they will only give macOS users a technology that is only 32-bit [the WoT Mac Wrapper] even though CodeWeavers has provided them with a 64-bit solution since the last quarter of 2018 your options are:

Use BootCamp and legally install MS Windows on your Apple-branded hardware.

You do not need to purchase MS Windows to do so as Microsoft allows you to download and use MS Windows for thirty [30] days before activating.

If you like running the game natively in MS Windows then you can purchase an activation code to allow you to personalize your instance.

I run MS Windows on a separate partition so that I can participate in the Common Test and then play on my regular accounts in macOS.

Wait until World of Tanks is updated to 1.4 and for CodeWeavers to test and update the WoT Mac Wrapper so you can run in macOS.

Neither are ideal but you have some options.

I am hopefully that with the update to 1.4 Wargaming will allow CodeWeavers release the 64-bit version of the WoT Mac Wrapper.  This version fixes from memory leaks and should provide the capability for macOS users to run the HD client.

mjmdiver #5 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 02:53

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7805 battles
I had BC running with Windows 10 and I think I had more lockups on that version, presumably due to the video driver. So, I went back to just using the Mac Wrapper, which mostly only fails on startup screen and I seem to have occasional problems with Minsk and Himmelsdorf, where I have had it actually hang in the middle of the battle a few times recently.

black_colt #6 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 16:41

Major

• -Players-
  • 4135 battles

View Postmjmdiver, on Jan 30 2019 - 17:53, said:

I had BC running with Windows 10 and I think I had more lockups on that version, presumably due to the video driver. So, I went back to just using the Mac Wrapper, which mostly only fails on startup screen and I seem to have occasional problems with Minsk and Himmelsdorf, where I have had it actually hang in the middle of the battle a few times recently.

Same here in regards to the instability of the game when running in MS Windows.  It was not a concern since I only used it for running the Common Test Server. 

If you still want to run MS Windows then I suggest you visit bootcampdrivers.com.  This site has more-up-to-date signed drivers than the BC drivers [which are custom from Apple].  Have been using these drivers for years with no issues.

Not sure what is going on with Minsk and Himmelsdorf as you did not give your hardware specifications nor am I experiencing issues on those maps.

May I make some suggestions?

Run Macs Fan Control for macOS and set the Control to [Based on GPU Diode] and with values of 50C to 55C.  I have been running this for years with the WoT Mac Wrapper to great success. Additionally you can run it on MS Windows for those times you have booted in MS Windows on your Apple-branded hardware.

Only play the game with the WoT Mac Wrapper when plugged into power.

Both of these have significantly increased the stability and play-ability of the WoT Mac Wrapper on my Apple-branded hardware.

Edited by black_colt, Jan 31 2019 - 16:41.

mjmdiver #7 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 08:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7805 battles

I'm running an iMac 5K, late 2014 with maxed RAM and the SSD in it.  All my normal files are on a TB external drive.

My fan appears to run full speed when running WOT, but I'll install it and put it on the GPU. I cut the AA back to none and that seemed to make it more stable, but I still get in-game hangs on those two maps.  Happened tonight on Minsk the only time I played it.

I just reinstalled it to try to eliminate that, but to no avail. I'm running vanilla on 1920x resolution.

Edited by mjmdiver, Feb 01 2019 - 08:27.

AlamoMelt #8 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 04:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19737 battles

View Postmjmdiver, on Jan 29 2019 - 22:52, said:

I'm not sure how helpful this response is, but I ran Frontline just fine last time around on my 27" iMac using the wrapper. Even got enough XP on my BC-12t to unlock the BC-25t AP. I don't play on higher quality graphics, maybe that helped. 

GadgetHackwrench #9 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 10:31

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18993 battles
  • [-RIPT] -RIPT
I own a macbook pro and played frontline so much I earned the highest medal for the event. Sure my game crashed sporadically, but I was able to load back in and work my way up to General rank consistently.

black_colt #10 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 18:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 4135 battles

View Postmjmdiver, on Jan 31 2019 - 23:21, said:

I'm running an iMac 5K, late 2014 with maxed RAM and the SSD in it.  All my normal files are on a TB external drive.

My fan appears to run full speed when running WOT, but I'll install it and put it on the GPU. I cut the AA back to none and that seemed to make it more stable, but I still get in-game hangs on those two maps.  Happened tonight on Minsk the only time I played it.

I just reinstalled it to try to eliminate that, but to no avail. I'm running vanilla on 1920x resolution.

I recommend that you look at and install Macs Fan Control and set to Manual - GPU Diode - 45C - 55C - OR - Constant - 2500 RPM.

This has really helped my late 2015 27-inch iMac CTO in regards to game stability. 

mjmdiver #11 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 09:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7805 battles

I think the fan controlller helps... I installed it and got it running a few days ago, and now it seems to not hang nearly as often. Not sire if it helped with the load in screen hang though.

However, 1.4 is a different story... I played for about 2 hours tonight and the computer didn’t hang the entire time in any way.   I wonder if they did something to actually Improve the stability?! That would be a shock!

black_colt #12 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 21:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 4135 battles

View Postmjmdiver, on Feb 07 2019 - 00:02, said:

I think the fan controlller helps... I installed it and got it running a few days ago, and now it seems to not hang nearly as often. Not sire if it helped with the load in screen hang though.

However, 1.4 is a different story... I played for about 2 hours tonight and the computer didn’t hang the entire time in any way.   I wonder if they did something to actually Improve the stability?! That would be a shock!

Good to hear that it did not do harm.

In case you did not know you can set the fans to come on within a temp range for various internal sensors.  I use the Sensor-based value and select GPU Diode with a temp range of 46C to 56C and it seems to work very well as it only comes on as needed versus running all the time.

I suspect that we will have some stability issues until the WoT Mac Wrapper is updated.  Currently it runs an MS Windows XP bottle and Wine 1.5.x [IIRC ].  The version of Wine is 32-bit which is why you see the message from macOS Mojave.

IIRC CodeWeavers has sent Wargaming an updated WoT Mac Wrapper which does not use a 32-bit version of Wine in mid-to-late 2018 so I am not sure why we have not seen an update yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users