I'm ridculously bad at light tanks. What can I do? How can I learn to play this class?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

LuckyStarr #21 Posted Jan 30 2019 - 18:54

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7573 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View Posttow2_b, on Jan 30 2019 - 19:21, said:

What I don't like about these light missions is that they're actually COUNTER to good light play - or rather, they focus so single-mindedly on one aspect of light gameplay that they don't teach good scouting skills. You don't want to just spot enemies as a scout, you also do want to drive off other scouts and harass/actively help team. But since these missions are only really about the first couple minutes of any battle, I guess they're ok in teaching just about early spots...

Just thought the same thing. Many WG's events promote poor play, in my opinion. How about I bush up near the base and hope my team loses so I can spot every arty hunter or base capper?

Edited by LuckyStarr, Jan 30 2019 - 18:58.

MiddleAgedNoob #22 Posted Jan 30 2019 - 19:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 22321 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostLuckyStarr, on Jan 30 2019 - 12:54, said:

Just thought the same thing. Many WG's events promote poor play, in my opinion, I even have an old forum topic about that. How about I bush up near the base and hope my team loses so I can spot every arty hunter or base capper?

There definitely is that risk - although you have to be the first to spot the enemy vehicle, so base camping won't work - but often early spots are the difference between a win and a loss, especially if it means getting early damage on out of position heavies and TDs.  You can do the mission and contribute, especially on the right map.  I wish the missions recognized the value of active spotting, but, alas....

ThePigSheFlies #23 Posted Jan 30 2019 - 20:40

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles

View PostLuckyStarr, on Jan 30 2019 - 09:50, said:

Point taken.

A side note on replays: in general, I find them to be not so great source for learning because people mostly post their cherry-picked great games, those when they got lucky. Which is not to say the player doesn't have to display skill in order to get Ace or otherwise a great game worth of saving the replay of, but luck is still a large factor. I find live streams a much more reliable learning experience, where you can see both ups and downs. But I don't think anyone ever streamed M7 or similar low-level less popular LTs.

yes, people tend to post "good results" in wotreplays.  that pointer was more for how a good result might be obtainable on a non-traditional scouting map, in a LT.

by virtue of their fragility, relatively poor gun handling, dpm and penetration, finding consistency is one of the most difficult things for a LT player.  I myself have really never found much consistency, and my damage + assist in them trends to be fairly above average in most from tier 5-9

as for streaming mid-tier lights, I used to stream the ELC and the Chaffee, but with personal missions for campaign 2 now starting at tier 6, I haven't really played either very much at all in months.  (both also have 4-5 perk crews so I can get away with a bit more than someone with a fresh crew)

LuckyStarr #24 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 09:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7573 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

I've followed your advice, got the female commander with 6th sense and replaced Binoculars with coated optics so I can do active scouting better. It may just be a coincidence since I didn't play a whole lot of games yet with the new setup, but it does feel like my survivability went up by a whole minute or two (which means +100-200%), and I'm now netting significantly more spotting damage, also resulting in better XP gains per game. Which is to say, I still suck and often don't know what I should do, but I feel more confident in the M7 now. Thanks!

The next step is to watch a bunch of videos and learn the maps. By the way, WG's videos on various game mechanics (linked on page 1) are surprisingly good.

tow2_b #25 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 17:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21459 battles

View PostLuckyStarr, on Jan 31 2019 - 03:39, said:

I've followed your advice, got the female commander with 6th sense and replaced Binoculars with coated optics so I can do active scouting better. It may just be a coincidence since I didn't play a whole lot of games yet with the new setup, but it does feel like my survivability went up by a whole minute or two (which means +100-200%), and I'm now netting significantly more spotting damage, also resulting in better XP gains per game. Which is to say, I still suck and often don't know what I should do, but I feel more confident in the M7 now. Thanks!

The next step is to watch a bunch of videos and learn the maps. By the way, WG's videos on various game mechanics (linked on page 1) are surprisingly good.

Yeah I agree that they did a surprisingly good job with the videos - they really need to promote them better as much-watch for new players, it would help a ton with the player base skill issue...

Glad to hear you're feeling better about your light gameplay already, it should get better as you learn the maps and continue to increase crew skills (and your own). Be prepared for lots of frustration because of how hard lights are to play well, and because so much of the game (maps) doesn't support scouting like it does other classes - but it's rewarding to do well as a scout so don't give up! I never played the M7 light that I can remember, but I 3-marked the T-21 and still like that tank a lot. Once you're better at scouting in general you'll start to also feel more confident in dealing damage (and surviving), and the T-21 has a nice punchy gun, I've racked up a lot of damage with it in games.

Good luck and good hunting out there!

Prosqtor #26 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 22:35

Major

• Players
  • 67762 battles
  • [T-N-T] T-N-T

View PostKarl__Childers, on Jan 30 2019 - 10:11, said:

Slightly of topic but... Is my brain playing tricks on me (I am getting old) or wasn't the M7 a medium at one time?

M7 was a medium that was really a light and Crusader was a light that was really a medium.  A few patches ago WG finally switched them.

Prosqtor #27 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 22:41

Major

• Players
  • 67762 battles
  • [T-N-T] T-N-T

View PostZup77, on Jan 30 2019 - 10:07, said:

Lots of great advice already but one of the most important things to remember is don't shoot early in the game. If you put yourself in an aggressive position to passively scout and that little red tank drives out in front of you. You think to yourself, just one shot but those two hidden TD's will fire 2 shots and you are back in your garage. Early in the game, you can do more good passively scouting than dealing damage so my number one rule is don't shoot. I have a 10K damage game where I think my damage dealt is 324 with the balance all from scouting. Later in the game when you are in the open on spotted, fire at will; just keep moving though.

Taugrim's video is a teaching video.  Give it a try.

Prosqtor #28 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 22:46

Major

• Players
  • 67762 battles
  • [T-N-T] T-N-T
I think a good option for scouts, especially those with a very high rate of fire such as the M7, is to carry optics AND binos.  

LuckyStarr #29 Posted Jan 31 2019 - 23:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7573 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View PostProsqtor, on Jan 31 2019 - 23:46, said:

I think a good option for scouts, especially those with a very high rate of fire such as the M7, is to carry optics AND binos.  

How does rate of fire affect this decision? Having the need to sit still to dish out damage, as opposed to hit and run tanks with longer reloads?

Prosqtor #30 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 06:52

Major

• Players
  • 67762 battles
  • [T-N-T] T-N-T

View PostLuckyStarr, on Jan 31 2019 - 17:28, said:

How does rate of fire affect this decision? Having the need to sit still to dish out damage, as opposed to hit and run tanks with longer reloads?

A rammer does not help a high rate of fire tank nearly as much as a low rate of fire tank because it speeds up the ROF by percentage.  This can mean serveral seconds on a slow ROF tank, but very little on a pew-pew such as the M7.  If you are passive spotting, the binos are great.  If you are active spotting the optics are necessary.  For the third slot use vents or gun laying drive or vertical stabilizer.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users