Jump to content


Arty still needs work

arty artillery spg

  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

LEG3NDARY12 #21 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 18:30

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 23119 battles
  • 227
  • [-FU2] -FU2
  • Member since:
    02-25-2012

Artillery is a participation trophy in pub matches. 

 

I don't want to hear your Clan wars arguments because I agree that arty is a really good tool in CW and good arty players are essential in CW, But pub matches are not clan wars. You are not working with 15 other teammates to coordinate movements, pushes, or turtles. 

 

Pub matches should be without arty as it requires little skill to sit in the back and shoot at tanks that are not coordinating anything but rather playing to take the advantage. In CW you actually have to think to play artillery, you wouldn't stand a chance in a top clan playing arty the way you do in a pub. It is the only class in the game that is drastically different in CW than in PUBs. If every pub match was a coordinated effort and strategy then artillery would make sense, but artillery does nothing but add to the cancerous lack of a skill gap in this game along with the type 5 and 4k5. Especially with the ridiculous stun mechanic and the absurd accuracy/splash radius. You don't even have to land the shot on me to do 400+ damage, kill a crew, and track me in the open.

 

Hence it is nothing more than a participation trophy.



I_QQ_4_U #22 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 18:47

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22837 battles
  • 6,991
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 01 2019 - 14:42, said:

Artillery does not discourage camping, it promotes it.

 

Just had a game where everyone was camping because of artillery, and as soon as someone made a push they got deleted by arty.

 

By the end of the game, all three arty had 3000 damage each.

 

While this is certainly not impossible I bet it didn't happen since doing 3k damage is pretty rare these days. If they all did get over 3k damage it's BECAUSE your/their team camped, I love seeing camping teams when I play SPG's, please just sit still do I can repeatedly hit you. I bet there's no replay right?

 

Artillery has never made me camp even once, it's pretty much a non-factor in that regard, invisible snipers are the primary reason I will play very passively.



HansReichardt #23 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 18:56

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 12770 battles
  • 439
  • [GSH] GSH
  • Member since:
    01-31-2016

3000+ damage by 3 SPGs is extremely unusual. I don't know if I have ever seen that (since the damage nerf), and I play arty quite a bit.

 

Arty absolutely discourages camping, and it also mitigates players who simply want to go hull down with a heavily armored (aka Russian, or maybe a T29) in one spot and choke off the whole side of a map.

 

The way to counter arty is through very good scouting and map awareness. You can also counter-battery fire from your own SPGs. 

 

Honestly, the only players who should be complaining about arty are those who drive German heavies. When a Obj 277 gets hit by my GWE 100 I do like 200-300 damage. When I hit a e75, I do like 600+ regularly, and kill crew members. I rarely take out my German heavies, because between the lack of armor, OP Russian opponents, etc., it sucks to be blasted repeatedly in my Tiger, E75, etc. by SPGs, and suffer much more damage than my teammates in other tanks. 

 

The only change I would make to arty would be to limit it to 2 on each side per game. 3 is too much.



heavymetal1967 #24 Posted Feb 01 2019 - 21:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 72432 battles
  • 21,909
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012


skytale #25 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 00:04

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 14389 battles
  • 106
  • Member since:
    10-29-2014

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 01 2019 - 14:42, said:

Artillery does not discourage camping, it promotes it.

 

Just had a game where everyone was camping because of artillery, and as soon as someone made a push they got deleted by arty.

 

By the end of the game, all three arty had 3000 damage each.

 

I've had 2 games recently that went to a draw. One had no arty, the other had the single arty on each side died quickly due to yoloing lights. I was one of the artys in one game and an HT in the other.  Both games had 5-6 TDs per side. In both cases the remaining tanks quickly found that if they moved, they would be murdered by the invisible TDs. It got worse when everyone but the TD's on both sides wound up dead trying to sniff out the TDs. There we sat for the rest of the game, staring across the map. No one daring to move. 

 

Arty certainly has the potential to promote camping under the right circumstances, but it is not alone.



ConkyTpb #26 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 00:42

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 52833 battles
  • 14
  • Member since:
    09-06-2013

But wargaming fix it

No platooning with arties

oooowwwww GG wargaming like they cant use the t key and communicate on the target together

Another fantastic JOB



Andreas007 #27 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 00:58

    Captain

  • Players
  • 49536 battles
  • 1,588
  • Member since:
    01-11-2013
3k damage each? If true, it sounds like a 1 in a 1000 game to me.

Mikosah #28 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 01:06

    Major

  • Players
  • 17582 battles
  • 4,441
  • Member since:
    01-24-2013

View Postenjineer, on Feb 01 2019 - 08:02, said:

 

While I agree is doesn't discourage camping, neither do the 6-8 TDs per team lately.  

 

Nor do high-alpha heavies, high-DPM mediums, or autoloaders for that matter. The difference is that you can outplay all of the above with a combination of aggression and proper line-of-sight management. Arta alone is different because it cannot be outplayed the same way. It lobs shells over solid cover and from outside of render range, which means the already limited supply of viable positions/routes for active play becomes even more limited. When active play is limited, the alternative is passive play. 



scHnuuudle_bop #29 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 01:58

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21163 battles
  • 3,720
  • Member since:
    05-03-2016

View PostLEG3NDARY12, on Feb 01 2019 - 18:30, said:

Artillery is a participation trophy in pub matches. 

 

I don't want to hear your Clan wars arguments because I agree that arty is a really good tool in CW and good arty players are essential in CW, But pub matches are not clan wars. You are not working with 15 other teammates to coordinate movements, pushes, or turtles. 

 

Pub matches should be without arty as it requires little skill to sit in the back and shoot at tanks that are not coordinating anything but rather playing to take the advantage. In CW you actually have to think to play artillery, you wouldn't stand a chance in a top clan playing arty the way you do in a pub. It is the only class in the game that is drastically different in CW than in PUBs. If every pub match was a coordinated effort and strategy then artillery would make sense, but artillery does nothing but add to the cancerous lack of a skill gap in this game along with the type 5 and 4k5. Especially with the ridiculous stun mechanic and the absurd accuracy/splash radius. You don't even have to land the shot on me to do 400+ damage, kill a crew, and track me in the open.

 

Hence it is nothing more than a participation trophy.

 

The only trophy I see up for grabs here, is how great of a loss of logic can you dip to this time. LowLogic Cup.

 

Public random matches are just that. Open to the public, and from that base, players are randomly selected to fill spots on random teams.

 

You want to somehow have both modes of playing.

 

Competitive and coordinated team games, with full communications and planned strategies. These are set up so players can control player bases. Theses CW, get to choose who, what, where and when.

 

The public random is set up so we do not have to SUFFER your style of personal restrictions. Play the game without the stress of competition.

 



KatzeWolf #30 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 06:51

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 30 battles
  • 910
  • Member since:
    09-10-2012

 

Some other games.



I_QQ_4_U #31 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 10:43

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22837 battles
  • 6,991
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 02 2019 - 06:51, said:

 

Some other games.

 

And what? SPG's are not allowed to have good games? Maybe lights need a nerf too, 3900 in a light that's not even top tier! Oh the humanity!

KatzeWolf #32 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 11:33

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 30 battles
  • 910
  • Member since:
    09-10-2012

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Feb 02 2019 - 19:43, said:

 

And what? SPG's are not allowed to have good games? Maybe lights need a nerf too, 3900 in a light that's not even top tier! Oh the humanity!

 

My point is, 3000+ damage isn't exactly rare, and for 90% of the game they are untouchable, it is a lot harder to counter battery now and LT's almost never get the change to push them early.

 

EDIT: And of course it's the hardcore arty player making a point like that haha.

Also 19k games and not a single tier 10? just don't like them or something?


Edited by KatzeWolf, Feb 02 2019 - 11:36.


I_QQ_4_U #33 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 11:56

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22837 battles
  • 6,991
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 02 2019 - 11:33, said:

 

My point is, 3000+ damage isn't exactly rare, and for 90% of the game they are untouchable, it is a lot harder to counter battery now and LT's almost never get the change to push them early.

 

EDIT: And of course it's the hardcore arty player making a point like that haha.

Also 19k games and not a single tier 10? just don't like them or something?

 

Yeah 3k games are fairly rare especially when you say 3 SPG's all got 3k on one game, can't say I've ever seen that since 9.18. Could happen sure but no SS's or replay? I didn't think so.

 

How am I a hard core SPG player?

 

I have 8 tier 10's, what's that got to do with anything?

 

Run out of BS stories?



KatzeWolf #34 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 12:36

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 30 battles
  • 910
  • Member since:
    09-10-2012

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Feb 02 2019 - 20:56, said:

 

Yeah 3k games are fairly rare especially when you say 3 SPG's all got 3k on one game, can't say I've ever seen that since 9.18. Could happen sure but no SS's or replay? I didn't think so.

 

How am I a hard core SPG player?

 

I have 8 tier 10's, what's that got to do with anything?

 

Run out of BS stories?

 

Yes, its rare to have multiple arty do 3k damage, but one doing that isn't that rare.

 

You are a hardcore arty player because 3 of your top 5 most played tanks are artillery.

 

According to you profile, you haven't played a single tier 10 vehicle.



I_QQ_4_U #35 Posted Feb 02 2019 - 16:13

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22837 battles
  • 6,991
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 02 2019 - 12:36, said:

 

Yes, its rare to have multiple arty do 3k damage, but one doing that isn't that rare.

 

You are a hardcore arty player because 3 of your top 5 most played tanks are artillery.

 

According to you profile, you haven't played a single tier 10 vehicle.

 

Show us a screen shot then? Like I said, it could happen, but I don't think it actually did in this instance. In any case it would be a VERY rare occurrence so why even bring it up?

 

So how does that make me a hard core SPG player? I play TD's more, med's about the same and even lights not that far behind. I guess I'm a hard core TD and medium player too eh? 

 

So? What of it? How dies it have any bearing on the discussion other than you can't think of anything intelligent to say?



KatzeWolf #36 Posted Feb 03 2019 - 03:43

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 30 battles
  • 910
  • Member since:
    09-10-2012

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Feb 03 2019 - 01:13, said:

 

Show us a screen shot then? Like I said, it could happen, but I don't think it actually did in this instance. In any case it would be a VERY rare occurrence so why even bring it up?

 

So how does that make me a hard core SPG player? I play TD's more, med's about the same and even lights not that far behind. I guess I'm a hard core TD and medium player too eh? 

 

So? What of it? How dies it have any bearing on the discussion other than you can't think of anything intelligent to say?

 

I have sent 2 screenshots already.

 

Your most played tank is the M44, not a TD.

 

You yourself said you have 8 tier 10's, was that just a lie?



Pringworm #37 Posted Feb 03 2019 - 08:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 26712 battles
  • 2,382
  • [SIG] SIG
  • Member since:
    07-31-2011

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 01 2019 - 08:42, said:

Artillery does not discourage camping, it promotes it.

 

Just had a game where everyone was camping because of artillery, and as soon as someone made a push they got deleted by arty.

 

By the end of the game, all three arty had 3000 damage each.

 

I suggest taking it out back and bashing its brains out with an ax. 

I_QQ_4_U #38 Posted Feb 03 2019 - 12:11

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22837 battles
  • 6,991
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 03 2019 - 03:43, said:

 

I have sent 2 screenshots already.

 

Your most played tank is the M44, not a TD.

 

You yourself said you have 8 tier 10's, was that just a lie?

 

Not of the battle in question, funny how you don't have one of that one eh?

 

So? I still play TD's more than SPG's. Also haven't played it since just after 9.18. Actually haven't played any of the top 6, other than the Su, in years.

 

Why would I lie? How is it even relevant? You keep forgetting to answer that.



KatzeWolf #39 Posted Feb 03 2019 - 12:58

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 30 battles
  • 910
  • Member since:
    09-10-2012

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Feb 03 2019 - 21:11, said:

 

Not of the battle in question, funny how you don't have one of that one eh?

 

So? I still play TD's more than SPG's. Also haven't played it since just after 9.18. Actually haven't played any of the top 6, other than the Su, in years.

 

Why would I lie? How is it even relevant? You keep forgetting to answer that.

 

I didn't screen shot that one.

 

You have 126 more games played in TD over arty.

 

I have no point, was just curious.

 



I_QQ_4_U #40 Posted Feb 03 2019 - 17:15

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22837 battles
  • 6,991
  • Member since:
    10-17-2016

View PostKatzeWolf, on Feb 03 2019 - 12:58, said:

 

I didn't screen shot that one.

 

You have 126 more games played in TD over arty.

 

I have no point, was just curious.

 

 

Of course.

 

Yeah, 378 less in meds. So I guess I'm a hardcore TD and med player right?

 

Thought so. If you're going to try and insult someone at least make it relevant.







Also tagged with arty, artillery, spg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users