Hardest Class to Play?

Hardest Class Heavy Medium Light Tank Destroyer Arty

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Hardest Class to Play? (192 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

What is the hardest class to play?

1. Heavy (15 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Medium (7 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

3. Light (137 votes [65.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.24%

4. Tank Destroyer (11 votes [5.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.24%

5. SPG (40 votes [19.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

Vote Hide poll

BillT #21 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 15:09

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 27625 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View PostYouPutTheMoronInOxymoron, on Feb 04 2019 - 01:35, said:

Why does arty have 8 votes? 

That surprised me as well.  I'm a staunch arty apologist, but I voted for light tanks.  So I glanced at the profiles of everyone who chose SPGs as the hardest class. (16 votes at this time)

About a third of them (5 voters) are "arty mains", who've played the majority of their games in arty.  Four of those have played almost all their games in arty; the fifth has played a third of his games in SPGs and has thousands of games in every class, so "arty main" may be an unfair descriptor.  I wouldn't criticize you for dismissing these as biased/troll votes, although I suspect some of these folks honestly feel that arty is hard.

Another third (6 votes) avoid playig arty.  It's their least-played class, and in most cases they've played a very small number (just a few hundred) games in SPGs.  I think we have to assume these folks are being honest; that they personally find SPGs hard to play, so they don't play them.  And that makes sense; arty's mechanics are very different from every other class. 

The remaining third are people who've played a mix of all classes, including lots of games in SPGs.  The most notable of them is Tolos, who I'm pretty sure is an arty critic, and who explained his reasoning.  He rates SPGs hardest  because they are the hardest class to carry a match in, and he is absolutely right there.  I (and I hazard, most people) interpreted "hardest to play" as meaning "requires the most skill,dexterity, speed, reflexes, and work", but Tolos' definition is just as valid.  Arty is easy to play, but hard to win with.

Kevlar1972 #22 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 16:30

Major

• Players
  • 22968 battles
I think the arty votes fall into two camps.

Good players who are trolling the votes, and baddies who are only capable of playing arty.

3nr0n #23 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 17:57

Captain

• Players
  • 23030 battles
  • [1VETS] 1VETS

View PostKnagar, on Feb 04 2019 - 05:08, said:

Anyone who says SPG has either never played it, or are on some sort of drugs. Pointing and clicking every minute isn't hard. That's not to say good arty players don't exist, but the class isn't hard. Spgs are more down to rng and some knowledge of where people might hide, some skill in leading, but not hard.

Personally I feel light tanks are. They are small, lightly armored, and can play various roles. They require excellent map knowledge, good situational and map awareness, and good intuition on what the enemy might do.

You've got to know where to go, how to work bushes, be selective of crew training and modules. You have to know how to play active and passive depending on the tank and situation. Self control to not start firing on tanks when you could be spotted. How to work Bush mechanics so you can fire without being spotted if you are one of the last few players. You need to know when to move, when it's time to put your HP pool to use and either help friends or head out on clean up. You've got to watch the map for enemy dispersion, look for gaps to exploit to get to or spot arty.

A lot goes into lights play style. Heavies can trundle along, mediums can usually support. TDs generally camp, and spgs just sit at the back clicking.

Ditto:bush:

Tolos #24 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 18:01

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF

View PostKevlar1972, on Feb 04 2019 - 15:30, said:

I think the arty votes fall into two camps.

Good players who are trolling the votes, and baddies who are only capable of playing arty.

What about honest players that know its nearly impossible to carry in arty, due to the team/RNG dependence so therefor say its the hardest class to play. 

OLDIRTYBOMBER #25 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 18:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11773 battles
  • [DONKY] DONKY
Arty is the hardest class to carry a team of bads, medium would be the easiest. :)

ProfessionalFinn #26 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 18:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 26124 battles
SPGs are the most difficult, more cerebral to play than the other classes of armor.

cKy_ #27 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 19:16

Major

• -Players-
  • 4504 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostKevlar1972, on Feb 04 2019 - 23:32, said:

Batchat and Obj140 certainly do.  I'm sure there's a few others that I don't own.  Heck the skoda might be a little slower but dat gun!

Obj 140 is certainly not as fast as any of the tier 10 lights. And the BatChat is a hell of a lot more sluggish than them.

Kerosedge #28 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 20:08

Captain

• Players
  • 21417 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ
SPG, you have to move constantly. Predetermine and assist where your help will be of most value. Overwatch everything on the battlefield. Only the stupids don't understand its value.

2MOEJOE #29 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 21:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4285 battles
Tier VIII IX and X Lt tanks.Bad pen you're view range means nothing and of course you have no armor.

Tuturuuu #30 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 23:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15362 battles
  • [TDPOI] TDPOI

Comes down to either light tanks or SPGs, depending on how you define "difficulty" in this context. As a class, it takes more skill to perform effectively in a light tank than other classes: This much is apparently agreed upon, judging from the current poll data. SPGs are generally easier to play, but the skill set one develops for playing everyone's favorite camping-punishment class are very different from the standard playstyle you find in other classes. If we talk in terms of carry potential and general flexibility, SPGs win by a mile. A skilled LT driver can drag a team to victory nearly as well as any class, depending on the map. A proficient SPG player can only accomplish so much with the limits of their vehicle. This isn't to say that artillery can't carry a game, but rather that a good artillery game is more dependent on the map and both teams than with any other class. SPGs lag so much in carry potential and flexibility, and require such a different skill set, that I wouldn't have even included them in the poll if I had made it. As such, I can see why some people would've picked SPG in the poll. I picked lights myself.

Edited by Tuturuuu, Feb 04 2019 - 23:46.

golruul #31 Posted Feb 04 2019 - 23:41

Captain

• Players
  • 22124 battles

This won't be liked, but if the question is hardest class to play... to win the battle, then it's arty.  It's the only class that completely relies on the team.  Obviously still a broken class though and should be removed.  And no, obviously that isn't going to happen.

Next hardest to play to win I would say are turretless camo TDs.

So, pretty much anything that really can't be frontline and has to rely on teammates.

I wouldn't classify lights as hard to play to win because of their general excellent mobility and spotting potential.

Kevlar1972 #32 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 00:01

Major

• Players
  • 22968 battles

View Postgolruul, on Feb 04 2019 - 17:41, said:

This won't be liked, but if the question is hardest class to play... to win the battle, then it's arty.  It's the only class that completely relies on the team.  Obviously still a broken class though and should be removed.  And no, obviously that isn't going to happen.

Next hardest to play to win I would say are turretless camo TDs.

So, pretty much anything that really can't be frontline and has to rely on teammates.

I wouldn't classify lights as hard to play to win because of their general excellent mobility and spotting potential.

This is a joke right?

Just because your tank can only do something once every 45 seconds to a minute doesn't make it harder to play.  A one eyed one armed amputee could play arty as well as anyone.  Yes the class has very little impact on the outcome of the battle because it doesn't really fit into the game dynamics. 

It's still by far the easiest class to play, gravitated to by all the old, infirm, and those eating a sandwich and a coke with their other hand.

golruul #33 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 00:17

Captain

• Players
  • 22124 battles

View PostKevlar1972, on Feb 04 2019 - 17:01, said:

This is a joke right?

Just because your tank can only do something once every 45 seconds to a minute doesn't make it harder to play.  A one eyed one armed amputee could play arty as well as anyone.  Yes the class has very little impact on the outcome of the battle because it doesn't really fit into the game dynamics. 

It's still by far the easiest class to play, gravitated to by all the old, infirm, and those eating a sandwich and a coke with their other hand.

No, my post isn't a joke. 

Did you read my underlined bold part?  There's a reason I emphasized that section.

Arty is, by far, the hardest class for me to win in (I play solo, btw).  It has, by far, my lowest win rate overall.

Mikosah #34 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 00:35

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

View PostcKy_, on Feb 04 2019 - 02:54, said:

Mediums absolutely do not have the same mobility as light tanks. 

Technically, yes you are correct. But the broader explanation is that mediums are usually fast enough to fulfill any sort of role that depends on speed. The extra mobility that the lights do have is often redundant or inapplicable. In some cases, even outright counterproductive. Hit the wrong pixel of terrain just a little too fast and you're on your back.

Tuturuuu #35 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 01:30

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15362 battles
  • [TDPOI] TDPOI

View PostKevlar1972, on Feb 05 2019 - 00:01, said:

This is a joke right?

The acknowledgement that artillery has a small impact on the outcome of most games shows that you get the idea he was driving at. Artillery isn't hard to play, but an individual artillery player can do less to make their team win than if they were in any other class of tank.

Tabehodai #36 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 01:38

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10535 battles
  • [OHAGI] OHAGI
Arty.  not so much the aiming issues and positioning.  But enduring its grind.  Usually they require the most amounts of experience to go up tier.  The game play gets easily repetitive.  It's also hard to do good in arty as it usually can't carry and is totally team dependent, so you won't get that much experience either. Also, everyone [edited]on you and teammates occasionally team kill you. 

next up are TD and lights because you really need to have good knowledge of the map, and where to be going, since in a way both are strategic campers.

Flarvin #37 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 01:39

Major

• Players
  • 54618 battles

View Postgolruul, on Feb 04 2019 - 18:17, said:

No, my post isn't a joke. 

Did you read my underlined bold part?  There's a reason I emphasized that section.

Arty is, by far, the hardest class for me to win in (I play solo, btw).  It has, by far, my lowest win rate overall.

Given that arty is the most team dependent class, you should lose more playing it. 

Good players should lose more, due to being more team dependent. But bad players should win more.

Tiberianblitz #38 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 05:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 17259 battles
  • [E-N-D] E-N-D

i would say light tanks ... tds are to easy ... meds are fun and yet can be challenging.. heavys are cool unless u have the arts on ya. but then again any class can get hit by arts

Arts are just cake walk and can be  played  with 1 hand and dont forget they normally complain how no one wants to spot when THEY want it ... i laugh everytime they do it

I_QQ_4_U #39 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 06:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 22973 battles
Light tanks mostly because most of the maps are not light friendly.

cKy_ #40 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 06:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 4504 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY
So, what we've learnt here is that the question should have been "Which class requires the most amount of skill to do consistently well in?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users