Why am I so bloody terrible?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Steel_Blitz_29 #1 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 06:36

Private

• -Players-
  • 83 battles

Ok so I would consider myself a "newcomer" but because I cant start a new topic on Gen. Discussions I will be posting here, I'm still a newcomer relatively. So I have been playing this game for quite some time now, and no matter what I do I cant seem to survive a single battle, I usually get obliterated between 30 seconds in to 2 minutes, I rarely get kills, when I do, I die 10 seconds later. I've been spectating other players when I die, been trying to stick with them, stay behind cover, and I'm still complete sh**. No matter where I am I get torn up with immaculate precision whether I moving fast or slow. I always seem to get spotted even when I'm behind thick bushes, rocks, and other foliage. I've been playing for quite some time and I feel like the only improvement I've ever got was staying alive for 30 more seconds, I'm so frustrated that I'm might just give up on this game. can somebody help me? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Bryce

BigDollarBillz #2 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 07:11

Major

• Players
  • 37696 battles
  • [SBW] SBW
Well if you only started on the 27th of January, then you haven't been playing quiet some time. If you're dying in the first 30 seconds, well then your to aggressive at the start of the match. Sounds like you're taking unnecessary damage a lot as well. There is a wiki here on the forums, that can help you. Tanks gg can help you. Watch lots of youtube videos as well. But for some reason I feel you're just trying to troll and I fell for it. 

cloudwalkr #3 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 07:59

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 55366 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS
Hey bud, don't throw the towel in just yet.  It's a hard game to improve at.  Easy to learn, hard to do well.  Feel free to hit me up in game and I may be able to give some pointers and we could talk about crew setups and stuff.  I generally run a weekly training room where we go over everything from the basics of spotting mechanics, to over matching armor, to map positions.  You're welcome to come hang out and soak up some info.

_Tsavo_ #4 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 13:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43562 battles
  • [BRVE] BRVE

You've been playing for about two weeks or so, that's fresh off the boat newb around these parts.   Though, given your name, you may be from Blitz?   If so, this is the PC forum and there's a lot more depth to PC tanks. 

However, if you'd like help when it comes to the rather steep learning curve of this game, this is the place to ask.   I'd start by perusing the Game Guides and Tutorials section of the forums and get some reading in.   Then kinda futz around in low tiers to get the hang of the game and the controls. 

After that, keep asking questions and seeking help.   I would be happy to spend and hour or two doing toons and helping you get the basics down.  

Good luck

banziduck #5 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 14:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20188 battles
  • [XFOGX] XFOGX

View PostSteel_Blitz_29, on Feb 04 2019 - 23:36, said:

Ok so I would consider myself a "newcomer" but because I cant start a new topic on Gen. Discussions I will be posting here, I'm still a newcomer relatively. So I have been playing this game for quite some time now, and no matter what I do I cant seem to survive a single battle, I usually get obliterated between 30 seconds in to 2 minutes, I rarely get kills, when I do, I die 10 seconds later. I've been spectating other players when I die, been trying to stick with them, stay behind cover, and I'm still complete sh**. No matter where I am I get torn up with immaculate precision whether I moving fast or slow. I always seem to get spotted even when I'm behind thick bushes, rocks, and other foliage. I've been playing for quite some time and I feel like the only improvement I've ever got was staying alive for 30 more seconds, I'm so frustrated that I'm might just give up on this game. can somebody help me? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Bryce

Because your so new you are in the tiers that are loaded with seal clubbers and you are still learning the game.  You are in the right place for help as _Tsavo_ stated.  Hang in there because everything you learn in tiers 1-4 change at tier 5.  Keep playing work on learning the maps the game the mechanics and don't worry about the stats at this time.  Cheers

the_Deadly_Bulb #6 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 17:00

Major

• Players
  • 24220 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View Postcloudwalkr, on Feb 04 2019 - 22:59, said:

Hey bud, don't throw the towel in just yet.  It's a hard game to improve at.  Easy to learn, hard to do well.  Feel free to hit me up in game and I may be able to give some pointers and we could talk about crew setups and stuff.  I generally run a weekly training room where we go over everything from the basics of spotting mechanics, to over matching armor, to map positions.  You're welcome to come hang out and soak up some info.

OP, take cloudwalkr up on this offer.

You won't regret it.

Knowledge is a powerful thing, let cloudwalkr empower you. :honoring:

snailcrusher #7 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 17:10

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 786 battles

Hi Steel Blitz,

Welcome To the game.  I started back in November and I know the feeling.  It is a hard game.  So, you have to love a challenge.  

When I was first learning to play it was on an X-Box and it was a disaster.  Tried for a whole week without any improvement.  Then I tried a PC and it was much easier. 

Some quick tips.

Some things you can do now to ease the pain is to get a Camo Skin, a Camo Net and Binoculars.  The Camo will help you not to be seen and the Binoculars will help you see the enemy sooner.  

When using bushes for cover you need to be behind the bush.  Not in it.  If you are in the bush and shoot you will be seen.  If you are behind the bush and shoot you will still be invisible.  There are Youtube videos on this.

It is also a good idea to take one shot and then hide behind a rock, as you are reloading.  Play peek-a-boo.  So, a bush next to a rock is ideal. 

You could also go back to Boot Camp and practice, practice, practice.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 18:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

View PostSteel_Blitz_29, on Feb 04 2019 - 23:36, said:

Ok so I would consider myself a "newcomer" but because I cant start a new topic on Gen. Discussions I will be posting here, I'm still a newcomer relatively. 1)So I have been playing this game for quite some time now, and no matter what I do I cant seem to survive a single battle, I usually get obliterated between 30 seconds in to 2 minutes, I rarely get kills, when I do, I die 10 seconds later. I've been spectating other players when I die, been trying to stick with them, stay behind cover, and I'm still complete sh**. No matter where I am I get torn up with immaculate precision whether I moving fast or slow. I always seem to get spotted even when I'm behind thick bushes, rocks, and other foliage. I've been playing for quite some time and I feel like the only improvement I've ever got was staying alive for 30 more seconds,2) I'm so frustrated that I'm might just give up on this game. can somebody help me? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Bryce

1)  No, you haven't been playing for 'quite some time' any more than when I used to tell prospective employers that, "I have done that a number of times," about something while telling myself in my head, "Zero is a number."  You have barely dipped your toes into the water.

This is not a criticism.  The first time I checked out my games played was when I looked in the Service Record for the first time and it told me: 238 as my number of games played and my Win Rate was, I think 44% or so.  Beyond that, I knew nothing about this game, the stats it collected or anything.  I was too busy picking another tank and hitting, "Battle!"  I had no concern at that point with how many games I won.  I was clearly Still Learning What the Game is All About at that point.

Like you, I was getting rekt in the first minute to two minutes of the game about 57% of the time.  I lived through a match only on wins and that was probably only about half my wins.  I had no idea what was going on.  I knew nothing about the game mechanics, how much 'value' I got with camo skins, etc.  At that point, I didn't do anything remotely 'smart' other than seeing that starting with a 75% trained crew was half again better than starting with a 50% crew for free.

I didn't start actually purposely learning to play this game until 6687 matches.  So good on you for coming to the forums so soon!  Wing Up on that!

When you break 5K matches, you can say you've been playing for a while.  Quite some time is probably, realistically after 15K matches, no matter how long that actually takes to do.

In that intervening time from 6687 matches to now, I have spent quite some time Learning the Game.  Which brings me to...

2)  I present to you, your very own copy of:  The WoT Welcome Package!   It was put together by me after many, MANY hours of searching these very forums, post reading, You Tube watching and time spent learning how the game works,  vis-a-vis the game mechanics on the whole.

I added a touch or two of advice for the new player, but beyond that, all this stuff here is nothing more than me shortening the time it takes for you to get the Core Essential Information Every New or Wishing to Improve Player should have at their fingertips.

I will add this here:  Learn to let go of Blame.  Of anything, even of yourself, though most importantly, Don't Take Anything Personal in this game beyond the desire to Self Improve.  This Game and getting better at it IS THE CHALLENGE.

MM, RNG, Seal Clubbers, Bad Players, Griefers, Premium Rounds (now Special Ammo) and anything else you could list on your fingers as 'reasons' why things go south -- all of them are part of your landscape.  When you hit, "Battle!" you are accepting that these things are not going to stop you from having fun.  They are there, although so are: Good Players, Team Players, Lucky Shots, Lucky Saves, Well Planned Moments that Go Right, etc.  Focus on those and your experience will be that much more enjoyable.  Too often we focus on stuff we don't like and then start to forget the fun factor.

So, while they are all there and they are all frustrating to one degree or another, it is Part of Your Landscape.  Just like being in the Desert or a Swamp can be fun as well as challenging for a camping trip, this game has perils and pitfalls that preparation and planning can mitigate.  Big Plus?  You can't actually get hurt playing.

Keep that in mind.

Hang in there, this game is a long affair of slow improvement in small increments.  Focus on you and how you play.  Find ways to learn one or two new things at a time while still engaging in battle.  Use those links I provide (the Lert's and Sask Outrider's guides are no longer pinned to the Guides and Tutorials section so are hard to find without the links) and while some of the material is dated, it is still mostly relevant.  Most important in there are the links to the Wiki's sections on Game Mechanics and Crew.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Feb 05 2019 - 18:53.

Steel_Blitz_29 #9 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 01:47

Private

• -Players-
  • 83 battles

Thanks for all your help! Will hope to improve 

Take care and have fun! ;)

Aim2mi55 #10 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 03:36

Private

• -Players-
  • 1824 battles
so it was the same for me at the start. I would also die within the first 30 seconds and trying all the things you did. Not that im that good now compared to most people, but what helped me the most is watching videos in youtube on how to play each map and how to play the different tanks there are here. Light, medium and heavy tank as well as artys and tank killers all tanks play different and depending on your style is how you will do in a game. The more you play the better you will get, but is not from one day to another. It does take time, this is a long time game that takes a very long time to get as good as some are. If you see there are some people that have played over 50 thousand games. think about it that is a lot. I have barely played over thousand so have patience.

Bacon_Tanks #11 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 10:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7455 battles
Watch streamers on Twitch, that's how I got better, Youtube is pretty decent too! Here's some streamers that are really good to mimic, skill4ltu, sirfoch, mountain_man, quickybaby, circon, and their are many more as well. Also all these guys have a Youtube channel that you could watch as well. Anyways good luck and as others have said it does take awhile to just know what the heck is going on in this game, GL!

PFDR #12 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 03:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 1782 battles
Like anything, you're only going to get better by spending hours and hours beating on your craft. Just give it some time playing and the skill will come naturally.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users