Churchill fans... have ?s about equipment/skills/perks?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ChaseR392 #1 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 20:00

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7438 battles

Hey guys,

I know there are quite a few people who are not fans of the Churchill (in any form) but I must say I've been having a great time in my Churchill I, even when I'm bottom tier. My tank is fully upgraded and is equipped with the 75mm HV gun. My crew is almost 100% trained so it will be time to pick skills/perks and would like some advice. I'm thinking increasing repair speed is very important since I get tracked so often, but I would like hear what other more experienced players think I should concentrate on for my 1st and 2nd skill/perk for the crew. The crew will stay in my Churchill.

What equipment do you recommend adding? Right I only have a rammer... and I'm torn between a toolbox, spall liner and improved gun laying drive? Will the gun laying drive tighten up the dispersion of the shots faster? I find the HV gun quite accurate unless you have to make large adjustments or move.

What is everyone's current opinion on the Churchill III premium? I'm thinking about grabbing one to use as a crew trainer for Russian Heavies. I really wasn't a fan of the 6 pdr. as I felt I had to use gold too much to pen enemies. But if the Churchill III still gets preferential MM I can live with it.

I'm also curious as to other's who are Churchill fans tend to play the tank? I do whatever I can to stay out of the open and always try to use buildings and terrain for cover, if I'm bottom tier I try to support the higher tier heavies. I tend to do best when I can get my rear end in a city quickly with other tanks and do "peak a boo" attacks or team up with another tank and take turns firing on a single enemy. If I find myself alone things tend to go badly (but when I am alone it is because I picked the spot where the others team heavies went when everybody is going the other direction) and I seem to be target number one for enemy arty so I'd love some advice and tips in avoiding that.

Thanks

moogleslam #2 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 20:24

Major

• Players
  • 45588 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

First Skills

• Commander:  Repairs
  • Driver:  Repairs
  • Gunner:  Repairs
  • Gunner:  Repairs
  • Loader:  Repairs

Second Skills (reset as applicable)

• Commander:  Sixth Sense | Repairs
  • Driver:  Repairs | Smooth Ride
  • Gunner:  Repairs | Snap Shot
  • Gunner:  Deadeye | Repairs
  • Loader:  Safe Stowage | Repairs

Equipment

• Vents
  • Rammer
  • GLD

The gun is certainly accurate, but a GLD will still decrease the aim time.

__WarChild__ #3 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 20:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 30760 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Couple things:

1) Churchill III remains one of my favorite tanks;

2) As top tier, Churchill III can be the most OP tank if played correctly;

3) The training ratio for crews in the Church III are better than most other premiums;

4) It's my first 3 marked tank:

I highly recommend!

FrozenKemp #4 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 21:00

Major

• Players
  • 52476 battles

Hey Chase,

I'm a pretty big Churchill fan myself although I haven't played mine too much lately.  I wrote a guide to the Churchill I/VII/Black Prince which might be helpful, it's here:  http://forum.worldof...ll-tanks-guide/

For equipment, I wrote:  (3 of) "Rammer, Vents, Heavy Spall Liner, Toolkit."  The gun laying drive will yes make the aiming circle close in more quickly, but... let's see.  The aim time of the 75mm is 2.3seconds.  It's not bad; could be better. 

Staying out of the open is absolutely solid when you have to worry about artillery and you move slowly. Ditto supporting the other heavies. The only quibble I have is to do with "peak a boo" tactics... well it's just, be aware of the fact that your gun reloads faster than many of the other heavy tanks, so you don't want to trade single shots back and forth with peak a boo.   2 for 1 is much better if you are going to have to take a shot from the enemy. 

PotatoLegend99 #5 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 23:15

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 35389 battles

99.9% agree with the others above me. My only contention would be the equipment layout. Vents and Rammer are a must, but for the 3rd slot, it's really a matter of your play style. The GLD is a good pick if you don't have the patience to wait 0.2s to fully aim or the finesse to smoothly peak a corner. I myself would pick either the Toolbox or Spall Liner depending on whether you feel you are more often killed by getting tracked or by arty/derp guns.

On the Church 1 I used a Toolbox because being overpowered by higher tier guns was more of a threat than maybe being focused by arty or other derp guns. I also really enjoyed forcing the enemy to shoot my tracks for no damage and my tracks getting repaired before the enemy could think "Oh he's tracked! Let me flank and spank him!" On the Church 3 I use Spall Liner because it does get preferential MM and I encounter arty and Hetzers and other derp guns far more often than I do a tier 6 tank.

ChaseR392 #6 Posted Feb 05 2019 - 23:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7438 battles

Thank you for the replies,

I guess I should of been a little more specific about playing "peak a boo" tactics.... I only do that when I am way over-matched by my opponent. I can't take too many hits from Tier 7 tanks with huge guns... so I tend try and roll my tracks out a bit see I can get them to waste a shot... then roll out and pop them and then get back behind cover. Since moving causes the dispersion to go up so much... I usually need to sit for a second to make sure I get a clean shot... and then roll my slow butt back behind cover. I'm still trying to break myself of the habit of rushing shots.... if I rush a shot it's almost always wasted.

What is the best way to angle a Churchill? I know the front armor is thick but flat, and I know the turret is weak. I usually try to roll out with the barrel pointing at the front of a track....

It is really tough to say if being tracked or being hit by arty is a bigger problem. Once my repair kit and med kit are "cooling down" if I get hit I'm pretty helpless because I can't relocate away from arty or get back behind cover. Getting tracked is probably a bigger problem now that I think of it... so I think I will go with repairs as the entire crews' 1st skill. Arty is a huge problem when the other team has good arty and my team has lousy arty... I'm getting pretty good and being a royal PIA to the other teams heavies if I can get to good spot.... I can hold 2-3 higher tier enemies back by sitting low on a hill or blocking a choke-point. After I pepper each with a couple shots arty usually gets me.

I think I'll end up playing around with the equipment to see what works best.... 99% sure I'm going to snag me a Churchill III as well for crew training and earning credits, so having all 4 items available isn't a big deal.

One last question, resetting skills? Can somebody elaborate on that? I've seen it mentioned in multiple posts but I have never done it....

PotatoLegend99 #7 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 02:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 35389 battles

This site- https://tanks.gg/tank/churchill-i/model- will not only help you with your angling needs, but also allow you to view and compare different tanks with and without crew skills and equipment and also show you where you can and cannot pen other tanks and the difficulty of penning various shots. Play around with the site, it's one of the best resources for anybody playing WoT.

My potato advice would be tryout the Toolbox first since you can always unequip it for free.

If you left or right click on a crew member and click "Personal File" next an in-game window will pop up. In the lower left section you'll see a Skills and Perks box that displays the skills/perks being trained on that crew member along with an option to "Increase" or "Reset" the skills/perks being trained. In your case the box should appear empty since you're not training any yet.

Increasing a skill: You can use accumulated Free XP to increase a crew member's skill up to 100%. Generally speaking this is never advised as training the first skill/perk from 0-100% requires 210,060 XP per crew member. The second skill will require twice as much XP, and the third will require twice as much the second, and so on. Free XP is best used for unlocking modules on newly purchased tanks to avoid playing them stock.

Resetting a skill: Some skills and perks are only active when they're trained to 100%, i.e. 6th Sense, Safe Stowage, Designated Target to name a few. Others begin to affect your crew or tank as soon you pick them and the effect maxes out at 100%, i.e. Camouflage, Repairs, Recon, Snap Shot...Rather than select an inactive skill and wait for it to reach 100% for it to become active, most tankers will pick skills that are active the moment they start to train and improve over time. When that skill reaches 100% you can either drop/reset it for 200 gold for no XP penalty, 20,000 credits for a 10% XP penalty or for free for a 20% XP penalty. Most people select a second skill, train 20,000 XP on it, and then reset for 20,000 credits so they can keep the first skill at 100% instead of 90%.

For example I choose Repairs as the first skill for my crew in heavy tanks. When that skills reaches 100% I select 2nd skills for my crew. For my Commander, once I've accumulated 20K XP on the second skill, I will spend 20K credits to drop them for 6th Sense and choose Repairs again now as the 2nd skill. Of course having and spending gold will save you from any penalties, but I am a free to play player who hoards the gold I occasionally earn in game lol

Edited by PotatoLegend99, Feb 06 2019 - 02:05.

__WarChild__ #8 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 05:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 30760 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostChaseR392, on Feb 05 2019 - 13:00, said:

Hey guys,

I know there are quite a few people who are not fans of the Churchill (in any form) but I must say I've been having a great time in my Churchill I, even when I'm bottom tier. My tank is fully upgraded and is equipped with the 75mm HV gun. My crew is almost 100% trained so it will be time to pick skills/perks and would like some advice. I'm thinking increasing repair speed is very important since I get tracked so often, but I would like hear what other more experienced players think I should concentrate on for my 1st and 2nd skill/perk for the crew. The crew will stay in my Churchill.

What equipment do you recommend adding? Right I only have a rammer... and I'm torn between a toolbox, spall liner and improved gun laying drive? Will the gun laying drive tighten up the dispersion of the shots faster? I find the HV gun quite accurate unless you have to make large adjustments or move.

What is everyone's current opinion on the Churchill III premium? I'm thinking about grabbing one to use as a crew trainer for Russian Heavies. I really wasn't a fan of the 6 pdr. as I felt I had to use gold too much to pen enemies. But if the Churchill III still gets preferential MM I can live with it.

I'm also curious as to other's who are Churchill fans tend to play the tank? I do whatever I can to stay out of the open and always try to use buildings and terrain for cover, if I'm bottom tier I try to support the higher tier heavies. I tend to do best when I can get my rear end in a city quickly with other tanks and do "peak a boo" attacks or team up with another tank and take turns firing on a single enemy. If I find myself alone things tend to go badly (but when I am alone it is because I picked the spot where the others team heavies went when everybody is going the other direction) and I seem to be target number one for enemy arty so I'd love some advice and tips in avoiding that.

Thanks

OP, one more thing:  I would also highly recommend using a spall liner on the tank.  Due to its shape and lack of speed, it is a feast for arty and Japanese heavies.  Vents, Rammer & Spall Liner is my choice.

Not that it matters but I have 18 Ace Masteries in the Churchill III - all with the equipment layout that I mentioned.  :medal:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users