Shot Dispersion with no target visible.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

TheChief1893 #1 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 20:42

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 39870 battles
  • [VAHLA] VAHLA
Why is it when no target is visible the shot dispersion gets so much worse. Seems very few rounds hit where I am actually aiming. Also why does this game assume I am aiming at the freaking mountain and not the spot I am pointing (Rounds sail over the moon)

Dockmaster #2 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 20:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44229 battles
  • [ACES] ACES

I think I'm going to follow this post.

It has great entertainment potential.

Qualm #3 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 21:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 19184 battles
This is actually true.  Shot dispersion is much lower when the target is still visible, and gets much worse when the target disappears.  The weird thing is this also happens in the air -- if you play arty, your shot gets much wilder while en route if your target goes dark. 

PapioTitan #4 Posted Feb 06 2019 - 22:05

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 45225 battles

View PostQualm, on Feb 06 2019 - 14:14, said:

This is actually true.  Shot dispersion is much lower when the target is still visible, and gets much worse when the target disappears.  The weird thing is this also happens in the air -- if you play arty, your shot gets much wilder while en route if your target goes dark. 

Second. Very true. I think either 9.18 or 1.0 changed it. My son has asked me...Dad, why do you keep saying "Not where I was aiming". 

sparky_49 #5 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 13:56

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7646 battles

A lot of that is due to the automatic barrel elevation that is applied, according to the range to target.

You've probably noticed that you don't have to aim above a target at long range to account for the projectile drop. That is done automatically by the gun. Just like a sniper will adjust his scope for the range/wind so he can hold the crosshair exactly where he wants to hit, rather than just aiming high and estimating the shot (Kentucky windage).

When you place the reticle on a target you're indicating where you want to hit (POA). However unless you're close to the target the barrel elevates and is not actually pointing where you're aiming, thus the correct trajectory will be applied and POA and POI will be the same. (POA=point of aim, POI=point of impact)

If the target is moving along a ridge line, or out in level open ground, and you swing ahead to lead it the reticle is not on the target, it is aiming at a point way past the target so it elevates the shot for the longer distance. When you take the shot it goes way high and loops over the tank because the gun is not aiming at say 200meters where the target is, it's aiming at a point much farther away.  As long as your reticle is on target the range will be correct, if not on target it may be trying to hit something off in the distance.

But then there's also RNG in play, so anything can happen, chance will decide.

dunniteowl #6 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 22:23

Major

• -Players-
  • 30239 battles

Bear in mind also -- when you are aiming at an area that you cannot target (meaning no target lock) the dispersion circle is going to be slightly greater as there is no target acquired and the gun is in default adjustment, which means it cannot fully close (meaning the dispersion circle is going to be probably about 10 to 15% larger from maximum aim-in) due to not having a target set in the reticle.

So, yeah, the dispersion circle is larger when there is no target selected or selectable.

As to leading your target, since 9.18 I have found that you are best off when leading a target to purposely aim a touch lower than if you had a target lock.  This allows that elevated aiming to be closer to where you want it to hit and if it strikes low and tracks your target, now you can slap them with a properly aimed and locked reticle on them.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Taihbsear #7 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 15:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6398 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
What about when you hit that invisible tank and no hit points are given but if you destroy it you get the kill.

MiddleAgedNoob #8 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 16:06

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17329 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostTaihbsear, on Feb 14 2019 - 09:23, said:

What about when you hit that invisible tank and no hit points are given but if you destroy it you get the kill.

Hits on unspotted tanks will not be logged in game in the client, but will show up in the results screen after the game is over.  You will get credit for them.  If you destroy an unspotted tank, that is reported in game in client, presumably so players don't waste time looking for tanks that aren't in the game any longer.

Edited to add:  Hitting unspotted tanks that are capping will show in game by seeing the cap timer reset.

GLHF

Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Feb 14 2019 - 16:07.

dunniteowl #9 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 17:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 30239 battles

What MiddleAgedNoob said.  This is as correct as it gets.

A destroyed tank automatically gets counted on your Kill Total, even when unspotted.  If it is in View Range, it will also show up as a dead tank.  Your HP will not show up as it was unspotted, however it does get credited in the After Battle Report.

Damage to tanks unspotted works exactly the way MiddleAgedNoob described.

OvO

MiddleAgedNoob #10 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 17:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17329 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Feb 14 2019 - 10:06, said:

Hits on unspotted tanks will not be logged in game in the client, but will show up in the results screen after the game is over.  You will get credit for them.  If you destroy an unspotted tank, that is reported in game in client, presumably so players don't waste time looking for tanks that aren't in the game any longer.

Edited to add:  Hitting unspotted tanks that are capping will show in game by seeing the cap timer reset.

GLHF

Going a little off topic, but for completeness:  Unspotted tanks that drown, crash or find other ways to get themselves destroyed are also reported in game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users