Arty is Exactly How it is Supposed to be... and that's why some people don't like it

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Arty Preference (130 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Which arty do you prefer?

1. Old Arty (98 votes [75.38%])

Percentage of vote: 75.38%

2. New Arty (32 votes [24.62%])

Percentage of vote: 24.62%

Vote Hide poll

ThePigSheFlies #21 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 17:09

Major

• Players
  • 73050 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View Postredled1, on Feb 09 2019 - 11:00, said:

Here's another change since the 're-balance' I'm curious to know if others have noticed while playing arty - you can no longer walk your aiming circle into an enclosed space such as an opening in factory walls, underneath the blimp, etc without your aiming circle uncontrollably jumping up to the structure above where you're trying to aim. You used to be able to 'thread the needle' into tight spaces and hit entrenched camping tanks, but now no matter how carefully you try to walk your aim in it jumps uncontrollably and unpredictably.

since 9.18 I've only played a handful of arty games in pubs, but typically play it a bit for each session of common test, and occasionally in clanwars.

I have never experienced what you're referring to.  ever.  and it's still ridiculously easy to thread needles with it...

I mean, you have the luxury of aiming and aiming while also looking at the mini map without having to expose yourself to enemy fire, or fear of getting spotted...

Lowsmoke #22 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 19:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 18981 battles
Old arty made the heavies stay hid now they just drive down road field whatever with no problem...Plus Arty was used in war unlike a lot of these heavy please put balance back into game ......

My_Gaming_TV #23 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 19:16

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 16222 battles
  • [THFC] THFC
And yet another arty topic..... HMMMM.... well here's my 2 cents. First I thought the original arty was just fine, yeah I have been annoyed by getting 1 shot from full HP by an AP round, but that didn't happen much, not cause I camped behind cover but because people used HE more then AP shells. and 2 the stun effect is probably the most annoying thing they brought into this game and the shell cost is annoying as hell too, you can have a good round and still pay out the wahoo in tier 8+ arty even if most of the damage you did was assistance. And the personal missions for the second front......yeah let's not go there.... I vote for old arty back!

theSparatan117 #24 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 20:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11055 battles
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY

View PostMy_Gaming_TV, on Feb 09 2019 - 13:16, said:

And yet another arty topic..... HMMMM.... 

Just keep bringing it back up until they do something about it... keep putting it in front of their faces... 

ProfessionalFinn #25 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 20:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25545 battles

View Postsergeantmine09, on Feb 06 2019 - 14:11, said:

Sorry for the long title, but hey it may be worth your time.... maybe not because it is about arty. This may not be an original thought but I kind've thought we could talk about it(again).

Arty, if I remember correctly, was added in as a support class. It was supposed to dissuade people from camping and provide support from the back lines. However, the first implementation was basically a nuke launcher because most of the tanks on the tech tree were susceptible to a 1 shot. Although I personally prefer the 1 shots over what it is now, I can understand how that is a problem. Something that could one shot pretty much anything on the field, late game, was a force to be reckoned with.

Come the most recent rework on arty, it has fit it more into the Support Shoes it was supposed to wear. It can only one shot some vehicles and only if it gets a lucky shot. However there has been a damage reduction to match that of standard HE pen at long distances. To counteract just nerfing the hell out of the damage, they gave it a stun effect that contributes even more to the support aspect of the class. The problem is apparent for both sides of the playing field on this rework. The arty players do not appreciate the inability of being able to one shot somebody, while the Non-Arty players are effected by the most ridiculous splash and stun effect. 

Arty is a weird, and probably ineffective implementation into the game. But to end this post with a question, which would you prefer?: Old or New Arty and why? 

P.S.: Didn't add a no arty choice because we all have to come to terms with the fact that arty is going nowhere.

Your memory is wrong.  SPGs have always been part of WoT, from the get-go. Not added on.

theSparatan117 #26 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 21:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11055 battles
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Feb 09 2019 - 14:42, said:

Your memory is wrong.  SPGs have always been part of WoT, from the get-go. Not added on.

Incorrect, it was not originally a part of the beta. 

_El_Barto_Simpsons_ #27 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 21:09

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 32814 battles
Arty = camping!
Arty see you, boom you dead! 
Arty in the game is [edited]t up! 
arty is not a Tank! 

dunniteowl #28 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 21:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 30239 battles

View Postredled1, on Feb 09 2019 - 10:00, said:

Here's another change since the 're-balance' I'm curious to know if others have noticed while playing arty - you can no longer walk your aiming circle into an enclosed space such as an opening in factory walls, underneath the blimp, etc without your aiming circle uncontrollably jumping up to the structure above where you're trying to aim. You used to be able to 'thread the needle' into tight spaces and hit entrenched camping tanks, but now no matter how carefully you try to walk your aim in it jumps uncontrollably and unpredictably.

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Feb 09 2019 - 10:09, said:

since 9.18 I've only played a handful of arty games in pubs, but typically play it a bit for each session of common test, and occasionally in clanwars.

I have never experienced what you're referring to.  ever.  and it's still ridiculously easy to thread needles with it...

I mean, you have the luxury of aiming and aiming while also looking at the mini map without having to expose yourself to enemy fire, or fear of getting spotted...

The issue he was referring to was 'glitch added' in 1.03.  The aiming dot would either take the top most projection of a building, overhang, bridge, etc. or drop you to the ground right in front of it.  You could NOT properly 'thread a needle' as you say during this time, even in OV, which I used almost exclusively (I hate the Battle Assistant view for the most part, I find it disorienting if I remain in it).  

Since 1.04, though that issue has been rectified.  I checked it the day before yesterday and found the SPG aiming issue resolved.

OvO

dunniteowl #29 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 21:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 30239 battles

View PosttheSparatan117, on Feb 09 2019 - 14:02, said:

You are INCORRECT, Sir.

beta 0.5.4.1 update, dated:  Jul 16 2010 - 08:16

Changelog 0.4.5 - 0.5.4.1 

Major changes:

- Introduced new system of waiting list for the battle formation.

- Added platoon mode – possibility for two or three players to join the same battle (additional menu selection under the "Battle!" button).

- Introduced consumables – modules that can be used during the battle. Purchase and installations is through 3 slots in the hangar, to the right from the additional equipment slots.

- Reworked additional equipment: now some equipment cannot be uninstalled after being put on the tank, some equipment are divided into classes, introduced different prices for different types of equipment.

- Introduced reticle settings. So far it's a test version with limited number of settings.

- Added 2 new maps: Erlenberg and Hills.

- Added new german TD level 9 - JagdTiger.

- Reintroduced markers "Attacking" and "Need help".

- Removed possibility of transferring experience from non-elite tank into the free experience.

- Added message when attempting to sell tank with crew or with installed additional equipment on it. 

- Removed mortar trajectory for SPG.

- New calculations for the base capturing: large number of tanks at the base doesn't lead to the instant base capture.

- Changed the way the general channel works: now when player starts the game, (s)he does not get connected automatically to the general channel - to connect you need to open the channel window. Also when entering the battle, player gets disconnected from the general chat. When coming back from the battle, player will need to open the general channel window to reconnect.

Tliish #30 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 21:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 67464 battles

The most amazing thing to me about all the arty whining is that people don't get the fact that there are two things you can do to avoid getting hit by arty:

1. Don't camp, keep moving. It is very difficult, to the point of near impossibility, for most arties and arty players to hit a moving tank that is jinking, i.e., not just moving in a straight line. If it is a choice between trying for a moving tank and a stationary one, the stationary one is the target every time. It takes a lot of skill and luck to hit a moving, jinking tank, properly assessing flight times of the shell and probable movement, skills most arty players lack.

2. Hunt the arty down and kill it. It isn't as hard as it might seem, since most teams avoid the middle of the map like the plague, and usually leave it wide open. Waiting a little while, then carefully moving from cover to cover until halfway across the map then breaking out a speed will usually result in exposing the enemy arties, resulting in their destruction or forced movement, taking them out of the game either permanently or for extended periods.

Instead of camping and being punished for it, then whining about how awful arty is to play against, try doing the things that negate the power of artillery instead.

Personally, arty doesn't bother me one way or another, I like seeing it on the battlefield, because I know my arty has the potential to wear down their monster heavies and keep most terrified of moving, and that I can hunt and kill theirs, which I find most fun.

As for the jumping target circle, that problem still exists on some maps, just try aiming at tanks covering under the crashed dirigible, for one.

ProfessionalFinn #31 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25545 battles

Edited by ProfessionalFinn, Feb 09 2019 - 22:12.

ProfessionalFinn #32 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25545 battles

View PosttheSparatan117, on Feb 09 2019 - 12:02, said:

Wrong: 
The First ever WG WoT Press-Release:  "World of Tanks – F2P Tank MMO Announced"

https://mmohuts.com/...-mmo-announced/

London (16th February 2010) – Wargaming.net announces the company is developing WORLD OF TANKS, a brand-new free-to-play MMO game based on massive numbers of armored battles.

In WORLD OF TANKS 30-player teams are fighting action-packed PvP battles. The game features more than 150 armored fighting vehicles from the pre-WW2 era up to the Korean War: light, medium, heavy and super heavy tanks, tank destroyers, self-propelled howitzers and rocket artillery. The game includes American, German and Soviet tanks.

Ride the legendary Tiger tank, or choose the fast-and-furious Soviet T-34, practice your sharp-shooting skills with the American 155mm M40 Gun Motor Carriage or try experimental/prototype machines such as the Germany’s monstrous Maus tank. A Player can have an endless number of tanks in “garage”, and all machines can be upgraded in dozens of ways: better turrets, chassis, guns, engines, radios, various ammunition types, plus tank crew members can be leveled up as well.

Wrong II   

Headline: WORLD OF TANKS CLOSED BETA BEGINS

Date: July 8, 2010

https://www.ign.com/...sed-beta-begins

"A flexible system of authentic vehicle upgrade and development allows you to try any of the vehicles and weapons in the game. Whether you prefer to exhaust your foes with fast and maneuverable light tanks, make deep breaches in enemy lines with all-purpose medium tanks, use the force of giant tanks to eliminate opposing armored forces, or become a heavy sniper with long-range howitzers, each unit type has its own advantages and can be extremely effective when operated by a true tank ace."

ProfessionalFinn #33 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25545 battles

View Post_El_Barto_Simpsons_, on Feb 09 2019 - 12:09, said:

Arty = camping!
Arty see you, boom you dead! 
Arty in the game is [edited]t up! 
arty is not a Tank! 

TDs are not tanks.  Armored cars are not tanks. 

Edited by ProfessionalFinn, Feb 09 2019 - 22:15.

Pringworm #34 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:15

Major

• Players
  • 26710 battles
  • [SIG] SIG
Honestly, I never understood why artillery is in this game with its a current iteration. I don't understand the previous one either, and I have found WG's talk around them to be a pitiful excuse as if they have to make them the way they are because they need something for people with bad reflexes and poor eyesight to play. It's a joke really, and I don't value anyone's opinion defending them. 

ProfessionalFinn #35 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:19

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25545 battles

View PostPringworm, on Feb 09 2019 - 13:15, said:

Honestly, I never understood why artillery is in this game with its a current iteration. I don't understand the previous one either, and I have found WG's talk around them to be a pitiful excuse as if they have to make them the way they are because they need something for people with bad reflexes and poor eyesight to play. It's a joke really, and I don't value anyone's opinion defending them. 

Sorry for your lack of understanding.  Try thinking a bit.  

Pringworm #36 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:23

Major

• Players
  • 26710 battles
  • [SIG] SIG

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Feb 09 2019 - 16:19, said:

Sorry for your lack of understanding.  Try thinking a bit.  

Honestly, you try thinking. Adding a class to a game then offering no counterplay is one of the dumbest things I can think of. As I said, I don't value anyone's opinion in defending them. So kindly screw off. 

Edited by Pringworm, Feb 09 2019 - 22:24.

ProfessionalFinn #37 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 25545 battles

View PostPringworm, on Feb 09 2019 - 13:23, said:

Honestly, you try thinking. Adding a class to a game then offering no counterplay is one of the dumbest things I can think of. As I said, I don't value anyone's opinion in defending them. So kindly screw off. 

You are the one who stated ignorance with:  "I never understood.... I don't understand."  

Just trying to help.

Tliish #38 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 67464 battles

View PostPringworm, on Feb 09 2019 - 13:23, said:

The counterplay is find them and kill them, simple.

Of course that takes skill, courage, a fast tank, and keen map knowledge, sorry for your lack of whatever prevents you from attempting it.

Burning_Haggis #39 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:30

Major

• Players
  • 45494 battles
  • [NOBA] NOBA

introducing arty to the game was a mistake.  

Now that we have it the fact they keep trying to come up with new meta for it, over, and over, is proof it's a problem.

Old arty was better, every now and then you got one-shotted and sent to the garage.  No big deal.  This non-stop barrage of accurate arty,  stuns that make your tank useless, and arty that reloads as fast as your crew can fix a track is the single reason I play far, far less than I used to.   It simply makes the game not-fun.  3 arty in a game makes it unplayable for slower vehicles.   Oh, well, got better things to do than play a "game" that isn't fun most of the time.

Pringworm #40 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 22:32

Major

• Players
  • 26710 battles
  • [SIG] SIG

View PostTliish, on Feb 09 2019 - 16:28, said:

The counterplay is find them and kill them, simple.

Of course that takes skill, courage, a fast tank, and keen map knowledge, sorry for your lack of whatever prevents you from attempting it.

I think you misunderstand the concept of counterplay. Yes, you can kill the artillery, but you don't interact with arty in any way other to kill it or get shot by it. That's piss poor game design.

Edited by Pringworm, Feb 09 2019 - 22:35.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users