What do you think of the wheelies?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

ChaseR392 #1 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1112 battles

Figured I'd start a topic over hear in the Newcomers' Forum for those who only post here...

Over in the General Forum people are shrieking this is the end of WOT and other various things thanks to the new line of French "Wheelies"?

I don't get it? To me they don't seem to be that big a deal... I've been playing my Churchill I today so I've seen the little Tier 6 ones zipping around... but other than one game where 3 of them actually worked together (I know, crazy right?) and wiped out the other team's arty they seem to have little effect on the game.

Yes they are super fast and have fairly big guns and reasonable amount HP.... but they are armored with tin foil and I doubt they can hit anything with the gun at full speed. By the 3rd or 4th game I was able to get enough lead to pop one with my 75mm HV gun and knocked out the suspension bringing it to a halt. Didn't last long after that.... Fast firing guns or HE shells are gonna wreck these things....

All of the above is just my opinion and I'm equally interested to hear what you think? I think they are kinda neat and I wouldn't mind snagging the Tier 6 one for giggles although I'm a horrible LT player and will probably be equally horrible with one of these.

Fartnado #2 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:41

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3001 battles
Most people are whiny little b1tches.  That's the way she goes.  Everything is going to be just fine.  Or be like one of the WB's and go play 'my little pony online'.  ;)

waikinboom2 #3 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9333 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
I love them! Makes the game fun again for me.

Blucraft #4 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 01:22

Captain

• Players
  • 8825 battles

IMO they look like fun, but you're going to need to be good at lights to be effective.  They have speed, but worse spotting than the typical lights.  So you'll need to be very aware of the maps and do a lot of active spotting.

-Blu

Youdda #5 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 02:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 62355 battles

So far, the good thing is that they seem to have caused all the arty to scurry off and not play until the dust settles. They seem to be causing a little more camping, more cautious play as well.

So far I do not like them, the idea that at any moment one of those could appear makes me stay close to other tanks on my team. I now hesitate to make a aggrssive move, even though my instict tells me to make that move. 

They are having a negative effect on my play, hopefully as we get used to them this will fade and I will go back to trusting my instincts. Or maybe we will all start camping harder. Maybe lite tanks will have the new primary role of countering wheelies. 

ChaseR392 #6 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 05:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1112 battles

I, for one, hope they lessen the impact of arty on games.

I'll be 100% honest, I don't play arty, I'm lousy with TDs and Lights, etc. but everybody has their niche that they enjoy and I'm cool with that. I know a lot of people say arty doesn't belong in the game, I disagree, it has it's place but right now I feel that random battles depend way too much on how well the arty on your team performs. Great arty can win games, poor arty will loose them almost every time. IMO nothing is worse than having an enemy team with 3 crack shots when your team has 3 guys who say, "I'm stock", "I don't have the range", "I'm not your personal arty, etc." 

Heavies seem to be my niche... I do far better in my Churchill I than anything else. Far too often I find myself and the heavies on my team in the same place... essentially pinned in a stalemate with the other teams heavies... each side dug in... not giving ground... holding the line. Far too often the outcome is decided by which team has better arty... one side is wiped out and the other side can't hit the broadside of a barn (or worse... just flat out aren't paying attention to the minimap). I'd love to see the wheelies shake this up a bit... keep arty on their toes, force them to move around a little bit and and not hide in the "3 designated spots" 20 feet from the base the whole game. 

I wonder if we will see more wheeled vehicles? I'd be totally stoked to see Greyhounds, Staghounds, Otters, etc.

oldewolfe #7 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 11:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 20232 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

I found out it'll take 534K to Unlock the Tier 9 from the ELC and Top Out the Lynx for Frontline.....       Alot of Modules don't Carry Over, which is Fine, I don't mind doing a little Grinding....       I've also found that I may as well just Finish Unlocking and Eliting the ELC and Add it to the Garage...       Never Driven it but 1 Time on the Test Server, wasn't Unfun so I figure what the heck....

My Opinion of the Wheeled Vehicles is, for a Period it'll be He11 for a while as People get the Sorted....     Some won't stay in them, they're not Easy to Drive, they're Blind as a Bat, but they are Fun when you get to the Upper Tiers.....      I like Challenges anyway, so these will be as Frustrating as they are Fun....

Will they Break the Game, likely Not....    Will they Change the Game, that they will probably do due to their Inherent Nature and Speed....      Will it be a Bad Change, remains to be seen, but Change is Coming like it or Not....       

Thirty_BR #8 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 13:56

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 4448 battles

I do not feel they they add like this huge wow factor to battles. I was expecting like 90 kph little AMX ELC's on wheels to be buzzing the maps. As it tuns out, they are not that. The ones I see for the most part are mostly sitting still. I have been able to plant them with stuns as if they were any other tank in the game. So no big deal really. Just one more tank for me to stun in my spg. I was thinking about how people were saying these were going to be a nightmare for SPG's a ways back in the forums, but I actually think if they platoon with SPG's, that would be very complementing to each other. On the other hand I am reading in game chat, they are blind as bats too though, so, yeah, maybe if WG made them so they could not stop. just left right revers and forwards, no stop. Does that make sense, I thought that was the idea anyway when they were announced. I got a real vibe of how inconvenient it was for them to be parked so to say. Maybe my interpretation was wrong on my part. 

I read in post somewhere here on this thread that they were a nuisance to arty. For me not so much, because I move a lot, like after every shot a lot. I have 20 something seconds to move, so why not.  From what I have witnessed in battles thus far is they do not seem very accurate either. I dont know. I think its niche tank for that person, kind of like the person who love playing SPG's like myself.

Edited by Thirty_BR, Feb 07 2019 - 14:03.

dunniteowl #9 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 22:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

It's been ONE FULL DAY and already I am seeing a sort of 'topping off' effect as folks who are playing them find they are not All That And a Bag of Chips.  Others are grinding the French line so that they can reach the Wheelies.  This has already caused a sort of leveling effect that slows down their prevalence in game.

They are hard to hit with casemate TDs and arty, but no more so than any other swiftly moving unit and the only real difference in this is that they do turn faster.  That said, it's going to take a while for players to really integrate the true strengths of wheeled vehicles into some 'dance of death' meta that changes the entire framework of the game.  I am a 'wait and see' sort most times.  We're just starting, really, on day two of Wheeled Vehicles.  Of course, you won't even See One unless you're in a tier IV unit at the very least (first WV is at tier VI at this point in time) and they won't be prevalent until you are playing tier VI and higher vehicles.

This means that basically NOTHING will change up to tier V, because their effect on the game will be extremely limited up to that point.

While folks got to play them on Common Test, not that many folks are going to have them -- as a portion of the entire player base -- right away, simply because the vast majority of folks will have to grind them to get them, which takes time.  Sure, there will be Free XP folks who simply slide their credit cards out and pay for them, but that is really a small percentage of the whole player base.

I found that most players so far are in one of two primary methods with them:

1) They play them pretty much like any other scout and, due to their habits of play, have not adjusted their playstyle to the new units and instead are playing them like slightly faster, though less visioned scouts, vis-a-vis playing them like tracked vehicles; or

2) Are running them around like Keystone Cops cars with little to no regard for actually using the speed and stealth at their disposal to leverage those abilities in a manner that doesn't imitate Mario Karts with Guns.

I have seen a few players, however, who clearly understand the advantages of these units and they are a terror.  No more so than your Super Player in an LT or a MED who simply dominates a match with their presence anyway.  These players are few and far between and represent those challenges you meet from time to time that, if you don't pay attention to their presence, will simply wreck you anyway.

All in all -- and again I stress that this is only halfway through day 2 of these units' addition to the general population -- not too game changing at this point in time.

In the General Discussion section of these forums, the overall response has been compellingly negative and the largest amount of negativity, oddly enough, has NOT come from arty players, but from LT and TD players -- at least at the moment.  I think with regard to SPGs, most folks playing an SPG pretty much know they're dead when any vehicle gets close to them, so, having a wheeled vehicle suddenly pop up is not really different than any other vehicle.  That it happens a bit faster is just that -- it happens a bit faster.

I will probably be more than happy to voice my viewpoint in another two weeks.  This should be considered a preliminary perspective.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

the_Deadly_Bulb #10 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 03:01

Major

• Players
  • 24220 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I'm enjoying mine so far.

There no LT, but the speed is fun.

That said all that speed can get you in waaaay over your head pronto.

The T-VI has the equivalent armour to a Model T so getting shot is a quick affair, unless its another wheelie.

With the right crew, in the right hands they could be effective and fun. 

Makes you wonder whats next?

Who's the next nation to get wheels? 

How long until we see one with some form of auto-loader, or to put it another way, when do we get the Soviet auto-loader wheelies? :teethhappy:

TLWiz #11 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 04:06

Major

• -Players-
  • 21146 battles
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT
I have been re-grinding my ELC for a new set of wheels!

ChaseR392 #12 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 05:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1112 battles

View PostTLWiz, on Feb 08 2019 - 04:06, said:

I have been re-grinding my ELC for a new set of wheels!

It is the ELC's killing me... not the wheelies :teethhappy:

There is no way I can turn the turret on my Churchill fast enough to track one.... I'm more afraid of them than anything with tires....

dunniteowl #13 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 07:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

Well, as to "Who's Next" with regard to a line of wheeled vehicles, the most likely choices are:

United Kingdom (three or four wheeled units)

USA (I think three types, but none heavily fielded -- like this would stop WG)

Germany (at least four types, possibly as many as six)

Italy (three, I believe that fit the paradigm?)

Russia (three that I am sure of and maybe as many as five -- they seemed to like scout cars)

This is off the top of my head from past research and being a bit of a history buff who hasn't really checked in over two decades.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Feb 08 2019 - 07:19.

Black_Stealth_Badger41 #14 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 09:26

Captain

• Players
  • 37998 battles
  • [POSHY] POSHY
No Boost just garbage light tanks with worse view ranges and under-powered guns.

Only thing they had going for them was Agility and Boost. That taken away.. No point.

WIZD #15 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 10:25

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10004 battles
  • [ASP] ASP
The ones I have come up against that are tier 10 are doing well. They are hitting the upper 2k dmg and I'm sure lots of spotting assists. As for arty running I didn't notice a difference with them until later in the game when they can be more aggressive. Though that wasn't at the higher tiers.

Diesel__2 #16 Posted Feb 09 2019 - 18:16

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3064 battles
I've actually quit playing for a while...see what happens.  I only play TD's and , while at first I could hit them quite easily, they are becoming a pain as the drivers get better.  Even though I drive TD's, I don't like to camp but right now....I will camp until those things are taken out or I know where they are.  It takes my aggressiveness away and makes me something I hate  in the game.  Campers.  I play this game for fun and if it isn't....I'll find something fun to do lol

WIZD #17 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 07:29

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10004 battles
  • [ASP] ASP

View PostDiesel__2, on Feb 09 2019 - 18:16, said:

I've actually quit playing for a while...see what happens.  I only play TD's and , while at first I could hit them quite easily, they are becoming a pain as the drivers get better.  Even though I drive TD's, I don't like to camp but right now....I will camp until those things are taken out or I know where they are.  It takes my aggressiveness away and makes me something I hate  in the game.  Campers.  I play this game for fun and if it isn't....I'll find something fun to do lol

Nothing wrong with an alternative. Camping isn't bad if you move when necessary or viable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users