Jump to content


Just spent $800 for WOT and the screen is kinda weird...


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

jamieliu #1 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:38

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

I am a very frugal guy to the point I just upgraded my laptop from Macbook Pro 13" from 2011 to Acer Aspire which comes with a MX 150 GPU. Now, the color is kinda smoggy compared to my Macbook pro's retina (i think that's how people refer it) screen. Macbook Pro's screen is so vibrant and lively where as the Acer one is dull and smoggy...

 

Is there something wrong with this new laptop of mine?

 

Thanks.



cKy_ #2 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:55

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 4153 battles
  • 2,292
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY
  • Member since:
    09-29-2018
I'm guessing that if you could somehow find the screen settings you could probably fiddle with the brightness and contrast. I'm not sure how though.

TDRHooRaH #3 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 23966 battles
  • 4,613
  • Member since:
    09-21-2012

View Postjamieliu, on Feb 06 2019 - 18:38, said:

I am a very frugal guy to the point I just upgraded my laptop from Macbook Pro 13" from 2011 to Acer Aspire which comes with a MX 150 GPU. Now, the color is kinda smoggy compared to my Macbook pro's retina (i think that's how people refer it) screen. Macbook Pro's screen is so vibrant and lively where as the Acer one is dull and smoggy...

 

Is there something wrong with this new laptop of mine?

 

Thanks.

 

It's not a desktop.

 

That's the problem.

 

:P



jamieliu #4 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 00:59

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View PostcKy_, on Feb 06 2019 - 23:55, said:

I'm guessing that if you could somehow find the screen settings you could probably fiddle with the brightness and contrast. I'm not sure how though.

 

tried color management but didn't make any difference

_Tsavo_ #5 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 01:29

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 45487 battles
  • 19,368
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

Do you have a specific model number?  The MX150 is an entry level GPU from nvidia for laptops.  So likely in the $500-800 range of laptops.  The screens are usually crappy TN panels to keep the prices low and generally have washed out colors.  It'll look rough compared to the IPS, pixel dense retina displays.

 

It'll out perform your MacBook's graphics but at the price of a crappy panel.


Edited by _Tsavo_, Feb 07 2019 - 01:32.


Echo_Saber #6 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 01:33

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22139 battles
  • 2,555
  • [NEET] NEET
  • Member since:
    03-17-2015

>frugal

>macbook pro

 

Ha

 

Anyways it's almost definitely the quality of the panel.  The Retina display beats most laptops, and Acer is no exception.



jamieliu #7 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 01:38

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View Post_Tsavo_, on Feb 07 2019 - 00:29, said:

Do you have a specific model number?  The MX150 is an entry level GPU from nvidia for laptops.  So likely in the $500-800 range of laptops.  The screens are usually crappy TN panels to keep the prices low and generally have washed out colors.  It'll look rough compared to the IPS, pixel dense retina displays.

 

It'll out perform your MacBook's graphics but at the price of a crappy panel.

 

https://www.bestbuy....tp_sllng_prdcts

 

So i have to do my graphic work on my Macbook Pro to view the true color of my final products eh? guess this washed out color isn't gonna hold up the job



Youdda #8 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 01:43

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 65148 battles
  • 196
  • Member since:
    02-25-2013

When I was looking for a new laptop for work, I found that the screen quality was a big part of what differentiates between the models that were available. I think the reviews on the Acer screens were not favaorable. 

I made a point of going with the Asus because it had the best screen.

Any way the point is that quality of the screens can very a lot.



jamieliu #9 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 01:49

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View PostYoudda, on Feb 07 2019 - 00:43, said:

When I was looking for a new laptop for work, I found that the screen quality was a big part of what differentiates between the models that were available. I think the reviews on the Acer screens were not favaorable. 

I made a point of going with the Asus because it had the best screen.

Any way the point is that quality of the screens can very a lot.

 

Can you find me an Asus with a nice screen, mx150 gpu and below $800 cad? Thanks.

tod914 #10 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 02:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 64247 battles
  • 6,321
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013
Is return possible?  Or credit towards something else if your not happy with it?

jamieliu #11 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 02:17

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View Posttod914, on Feb 07 2019 - 01:15, said:

Is return possible?  Or credit towards something else if your not happy with it?

 

yeah best buy is usually very linear in terms of refund but i can't find any budget laptop with mx150...don't want to spend more than what i just did

TLWiz #12 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 02:26

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 22002 battles
  • 9,748
  • [DSSRT] DSSRT
  • Member since:
    12-26-2014

View Postjamieliu, on Feb 07 2019 - 00:38, said:

I am a very frugal guy to the point I just upgraded my laptop from Macbook Pro 13" from 2011 to Acer Aspire which comes with a MX 150 GPU. Now, the color is kinda smoggy compared to my Macbook pro's retina (i think that's how people refer it) screen. Macbook Pro's screen is so vibrant and lively where as the Acer one is dull and smoggy...

 

Is there something wrong with this new laptop of mine?

 

Thanks.

 

You might try plugging in a good monitor.

jamieliu #13 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 02:54

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View PostTLWiz, on Feb 07 2019 - 01:26, said:

 

You might try plugging in a good monitor.

 

That defeat the purpose of having a laptop. i was hoping that i can download a color profile close enough to Macbook Pro for my win10 system...

cKy_ #14 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 05:12

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 4153 battles
  • 2,292
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY
  • Member since:
    09-29-2018

View PostYoudda, on Feb 07 2019 - 12:43, said:

When I was looking for a new laptop for work, I found that the screen quality was a big part of what differentiates between the models that were available. I think the reviews on the Acer screens were not favaorable. 

I made a point of going with the Asus because it had the best screen.

Any way the point is that quality of the screens can very a lot.

 

I play the game on an Acer laptop and I have found that the quality of the screen, brightness and contrast are all perfect. Very comparable to desktop monitors I've had in the past.

 

Then again I spent $3500 on mine, Jamie's might be a bit different.



jamieliu #15 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 07:21

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View PostcKy_, on Feb 07 2019 - 04:12, said:

 

I play the game on an Acer laptop and I have found that the quality of the screen, brightness and contrast are all perfect. Very comparable to desktop monitors I've had in the past.

 

Then again I spent $3500 on mine, Jamie's might be a bit different.

 

you are using rogue?

those black and red gaming laptop?



TheManFromKekistan #16 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 21:50

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 28 battles
  • 2,811
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

View Postjamieliu, on Feb 06 2019 - 20:54, said:

 

That defeat the purpose of having a laptop. i was hoping that i can download a color profile close enough to Macbook Pro for my win10 system...

 

A color profile isn't going to make up for the difference in technology. The retina displays are basically studio grade displays meant for professional graphics which don't need a powerful gpu just a wide and accurate color gamut along with high pixel density. The screens on these cheap windows laptops are also cheap and not nearly as good as the mac display. You can get a windows laptop with a comparable display to the mac but not for $800. Unless you can still return this current laptop your only real option would be to get a decent stand alone panel. This won't make it any better when you have to use it away from home but it will certainly make home use far more enjoyable since you can plug in a much larger monitor. Nothing wrong with getting a cheap mouse and keyboard and turning the laptop into a desktop and many do exactly that with their expensive gaming laptops. This also gives you the option for dual display so you can watch netflix on one and surf the web or run programs on the other.

Edited by TheManFromKekistan, Feb 07 2019 - 21:52.


jamieliu #17 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 23:24

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View PostTheManFromKekistan, on Feb 07 2019 - 20:50, said:

 

A color profile isn't going to make up for the difference in technology. The retina displays are basically studio grade displays meant for professional graphics which don't need a powerful gpu just a wide and accurate color gamut along with high pixel density. The screens on these cheap windows laptops are also cheap and not nearly as good as the mac display. You can get a windows laptop with a comparable display to the mac but not for $800. Unless you can still return this current laptop your only real option would be to get a decent stand alone panel. This won't make it any better when you have to use it away from home but it will certainly make home use far more enjoyable since you can plug in a much larger monitor. Nothing wrong with getting a cheap mouse and keyboard and turning the laptop into a desktop and many do exactly that with their expensive gaming laptops. This also gives you the option for dual display so you can watch netflix on one and surf the web or run programs on the other.

 but all Macbook Pros come with crappy gpu which makes it impossible to see the depth and beauty of this game



TheManFromKekistan #18 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 23:49

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 28 battles
  • 2,811
  • Member since:
    02-03-2017

View Postjamieliu, on Feb 07 2019 - 17:24, said:

 but all Macbook Pros come with crappy gpu which makes it impossible to see the depth and beauty of this game

 

Because all mac pros are designed from the ground up to be used for graphics artists and other artsy phartsy types and not hard core gamers. If you want mac pro screen quality for gaming you either have to get a cheap laptop with a decent gpu and use an external monitor or get an expensive gaming laptop with a high quality display.

_Tsavo_ #19 Posted Feb 07 2019 - 23:52

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 45487 battles
  • 19,368
  • [BRVE] BRVE
  • Member since:
    02-16-2011

View Postjamieliu, on Feb 07 2019 - 17:24, said:

 but all Macbook Pros come with crappy gpu which makes it impossible to see the depth and beauty of this game

 

The higher end ones do come with dedicated graphics, though you're looking at 2,000+$ 

jamieliu #20 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 00:01

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 46794 battles
  • 882
  • Member since:
    07-04-2012

View Post_Tsavo_, on Feb 07 2019 - 22:52, said:

 

The higher end ones do come with dedicated graphics, though you're looking at 2,000+$ 

 

and then install PC OS and software...most of my works rely on PC software...not Mac :(




3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users