AMD 178B Worth Upgrade?

AMD 178B. French Wheeled Tier 6 AMD 178B wheeled vehicles French light tank light

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

MakersMike #1 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 11:08

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2673 battles

I haven't upgraded the AMD 178B yet, and I'm wondering if it's worth it or if I should just use that exp to move on to the next tank.  I know some players seem to have so much free xp that they can just upgrade quickly or move on to the tank in the tier they want to start at.  I don't have that much extra free xp around, and don't want to use any of it for this.

If you have the AMD 178B fully upgraded, please let me know how you feel about the tank.  And if you plan on keeping it around and playing it in the future.

Thanks

kapri25 #2 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 12:00

Captain

• Players
  • 16550 battles
  • [13A] 13A
Yes and no. The stock equipment really sucks and the fully upgraded is better but that ain't saying much. I can't speak towards better players but for me 1000 damage is the best this tank has to offer fully upgraded. Probably better players can speak on it damage wise but meh. View range barely gets better with the upgraded turret. Wheels are a joke as it turns like a stuck pig unless going at full speed...even then you either overcompensate or barely turn at times depending on your speed. Just glad the engine is the module you need to unlock for the next tier as it is the only improvement Getting the top gun can allow better xp in the end but tier 6 Pan 178B is a tough grind. Fun when you understand the limitations and knowledge that it will never operate like a tracked light tank but you are severely ground. I think this one though is going to make or break people wanting to continue the line who hasn't played on the test server.

Cpt_Zapp_Brannigan #3 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 12:52

Captain

• Players
  • 33630 battles
I think you can make a strong case to just use the stock gun. DPM, accuracy and aim time are the best, and the other guns are not required to unlock the tier VII since one is the stock gun and the other only is available on the Tier VI

GeorgePreddy #4 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 14:02

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

It's not very good even when fully upgraded.  Several tier 6 tracked lights are generally superior to the tier 6 wheelie.

MiddleAgedNoob #5 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 17:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15506 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostCpt_Zapp_Brannigan, on Feb 08 2019 - 06:52, said:

I think you can make a strong case to just use the stock gun. DPM, accuracy and aim time are the best, and the other guns are not required to unlock the tier VII since one is the stock gun and the other only is available on the Tier VI

I'm struggling with this.  While the stock gun does have higher DPM with standard AP, the top 75mm has higher DPM with HE, together with pen of 75mm.  I find that I can't get the damage I would like out of the stock gun as I can't wait around even for the short reload time on the 47mm.  I haven't tried the 75mm yet, I only just unlocked the turret, but it looks to me that I am going to be firing a lot of HE from short range at soft targets, which make the 75mm more attractive.  It is an investment of 11k xp, but I am hoping that I will earn xp faster as a result, and make the grind a little less painful, as I also want to grind out the top radio, which does carry over to the Tier VII.

Interested in the views of others.

GLHF

IceOtter #6 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 07:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 58297 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL
I did the everything eventually, but I'm just that type.  I waited a LONG time to upgrade to the final gun though because the middle one is a great compromise between the stock and top gun.  Engine is a must and if it has one I ALWAYS upgrade suspension too - unpublished soft stats can mean that upgrades have more durability - a crucial element in a light tank.

the_Deadly_Bulb #7 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 07:39

Major

• Players
  • 25369 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Onward to the Hotchkiss, make haste! :great:

Gang_Starr #8 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 14:12

Major

• Players
  • 15957 battles
I'm loving the tier 6 grind, the top gun with HE is amazing.

Trauglodyte #9 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 17:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 19322 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

View PostMakersMike, on Feb 08 2019 - 11:08, said:

I haven't upgraded the AMD 178B yet, and I'm wondering if it's worth it or if I should just use that exp to move on to the next tank.  I know some players seem to have so much free xp that they can just upgrade quickly or move on to the tank in the tier they want to start at.  I don't have that much extra free xp around, and don't want to use any of it for this.

If you have the AMD 178B fully upgraded, please let me know how you feel about the tank.  And if you plan on keeping it around and playing it in the future.

Thanks

The answer to that question is:  It depends.

Do you want to be a DPM tank?  Do you want to be a wheeled ghetto TD?  DPM tank success is predicated upon you being able to pick and choose your engagement areas/times.  Armored Cars have the speed and agilit to do that.  But, that success is based upon you playing smart, being patient, and understanding that it is completely feast or famine.  The VK 16.01 Leopard is essentially a slightly less agile but faster AMD 178B (using the 47 mm).  I have had games where I do almost 2k damage, using the 50 cm plink gun.  I also have a lot of games where I barely break 300 damage, because armor and damage windows are hard to find and most maps don't allow for concealment sniping with plink guns.

If you want to be a very fast ghetto TD (think of it like a bad T67), you can do that too with the last 75 mm.  To be successful, you have to understand that you cannot sit and camp in a spot.  You're essentially turning your Armored Car into Agent Smith's diatribe on humanity.  "Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area."  I use this analogy because you have to constantly be on the move, using perpetual motion to your benefit.  Move to an area, blast as  much as you can until it is completely used up, and then reposition to the next location.  NEVER sit and camp.

Decide how you want to play it.  My personal opinion to you is to skip the 2nd 75 mm.  Those middle guns are always a trap to be avoided.  Live off of the 47 mm, until you unlock the last gun, and then go nuts.  Plink tanks just don't have the consistency to be viable.  Good games happen but, with the lack of vision already hindering the vehicle, do you really want to add give-and-take games on top of it?

Jon_Crafting #10 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 00:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10552 battles
  • [BABNS] BABNS

Hey Mike,

I had the exact same question a few days ago as I am currently working through the AMD178B grind. I ground out the engine and wheels on my own but wasn't having much luck or fun with the vehicle. I did have the free xp to use and in a fit of frustration after a rather poor performance I free xp'd through the turret and up to the top gun. Did it help? Well... not exactly, as it didn't magically make me better at the tank, but it did force me to give up the idea that it was the tanks/modules fault and not my tanking/driving ability.

I now have 67 games in the tank, and a little less than 20k to go to unlock the EBR. While I have not managed to Ace it yet, I have gotten pretty close a couple times, and have really begun to enjoy it. I've achieved the 1st MoE and depending on how it goes, I may delay moving the crew to the EBR until I I've gotten 2nd and maybe the 3rd MoE but that might be pushing my luck.

To answer your question, I think it might be more about finding your own groove in the tank and what works for you. I would ask what your goal is, and if it's to rush through the tank as quickly as possible then by all means ignore unlocking the guns (I'd grab the turret for the extra 10m view range though) and bee line for the EBR and higher if that is what you want.

Personally, I like to try and mark my tanks on the way up. Get more experience playing them plus skill up the crew.  I cheated a little and put 3 of my holiday girls in it so I have BIA, 6ths, and situational awareness already. Running food gets me at least to 382 view range where I can begin to pretend to be a scout.

While some believe the wheelies need to rush in at the start, I still find it best to play only mildly aggressive to begin with and try to focus more on anti enemy scout patrol. Once the enemy is down 4-5 tanks the map should open up a bit more and allow you to infiltrate their lines.

HTH's!

EDIT: As a reference for you, after 67 battles my victory ratio in the AMD is only 49.25%, average damage caused 376, average damage assisted 400.

Edited by Jon_Crafting, Mar 23 2019 - 00:40.

Rhoetus #11 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 21:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 38170 battles
  • [CS7-E] CS7-E
I was of the opinion that I should keep the first gun, but I decided to try the last one. 

Big improvement.
I got two high calibers in a row in it. I'm not a great player, and I didn't do anything special.
It wasn't quite "running around like a chicken with its head cut off" but not too far from that. Just bob and weave and autolock.

It is ridiculous. 
Now...
That doesn't mean you are going to be great in it. 
I still have really awful matches. But, on average, it is stupid O.P.

I have a 54.17% accuracy rating over 127 matches, and that isn't exactly me taking aimed shots. Most of the time i am firing on the move. 

Jon_Crafting #12 Posted Mar 26 2019 - 18:23

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10552 battles
  • [BABNS] BABNS

So Mike, what did you end up doing? Have you played the AMD more?

I'm 97 battles in (have not been running boosters) and have elited it and am close to the 2nd MoE. I haven't purchased the EBR yet as I am still working on my MoE goal, but even if I wanted to I couldn't as running food on the AMD has depleted my silver. Sadly I have been forced to intermittently grind credits to keep my crew fed and happy. I have found the AMD to be a really fun Tier 6, but that could just be my love for awkward light tanks (.i.e. the nerfed ELC is still one of my favorites).

For the AMD, with the big gun, I am running 25 AP round and 20 HE, and typically start each battle with HE loaded to counter enemy lights. I switch to AP when HE fails to pen.

Cheers!

MakersMike #13 Posted Mar 26 2019 - 18:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2673 battles

I've actually had some fun in it and just decided to upgrade it since we have those 401 scout missions.  I'm enjoying the Hotchkiss now, but I decided to keep the little guy around for sh*t's and giggles.  I know everyone says it sucks, and there are better tier 6 lights, but I have fun in it and I really like the reverse speed being the same at 65 km/h. 

As I said, I'm really enjoying the Hotchkiss now, but they totally nerfed that reverse speed too much on the Hotch.  Down to 45 km/h?  A full 20 less in reverse than the tier 6.  This made no sense to me, and they're taking away one of the few advantages this tank has over other lights.  No rapid mode, and 70 km/h top speed isn't that outrageous, so I think dropping reverse to 45 was a bit much.   

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users