Front Lines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Gunner41c #1 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 18:36

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 49515 battles
  • [IIWII] IIWII

So Front Lines (FL) is coming back on Monday. Pretty much all players are excited and looking forward to the favorite game play. FL was popular due to it's balance by playing at the same tier. A lot of seldom used tanks were seen since they could be used in reasonable competition vs other tanks. The credit earnings/xp earnings were very nice and welcome to players trying to grind away through tech trees. So here is a thought for some discussion, expand FL to cover all tiers as in the following fashion.

WoT started with random battles as it's main play mode, this may be getting outdated as time passed. We have numerous problems with MM, (3/5/7, imbalanced teams, 4min speed wipes) and WG is trying to constantly fix it. FL is hugely popular due to a number of reasons, 1) good credit earnings 2) good xp earnings 3) if you make a mistake you can re-log back in and try again in the same fight. This is like a mini-campaign in a 20 min time setting with larger maps. One mistake doesn't cost you the match and the team that plays better will generally win with RNG being a lesser factor. Also go to a +1/-1 MM for the whole FL game mode. The balancing of MM for tank classes works well and wouldn't need adjusting. If you log in with a T8 you could have a +1 MM vs 30% tier 9 and all the rest at tier 8 or you would be the top tier 8 vs tier 7 or all tier 8. The tier you select would be what you can take as a re-spawn only. The FL game mode would replace the random battle mode, the grand battle mode and become the normal game mode. Take all the old maps and work them into the new FL map system. You could even modify the maps to be randomly attached to each other to fill in the overall FL game map. So you might end up with a 3x3 maps with Himmelsdorf, Ruinberg and Mines as the middle 3 maps randomly positioned and so on. Each of the map locations could have a randomly picked map to fill that spot and adjust the maps to insert the turrets on them as the final objectives if picked for that area. Might be difficult to do or just have 6 random maps for the final defense area that would rotate in each battle for the final area. The bottom 6 maps could be loaded from the rest or the maps to be the start and middle areas. This is similar to the geo-hex map systems used in board games where a map could appear in different locations and change the battle each time. Adjust map borders to allow access in the random placement.

So make FL for all tiers from 1-10 in the following fashion.

Tier 1-3's have a 20 players per side on each match. Use 2 maps joined north and south with the same game mechanics. The southern map would be the initial assault map and the northern map would be the final defense. Adjust the turrets to reflect the lower DPM of the low tiers. Use the same re-spawn system.

Tier 4-7's have 25 players per side on each match. Use 2x2 maps with 2 north and 2 south. Same game mechanics as FL has. This would give a larger map area but more in-line with the lower tier speed and vehicle ability.

Tier 8-10 have 30 players per side and function as FL does currently with 3x3 maps.

This is just a thought to re-vitalize WoT with a game mode everyone enjoys.

GeorgePreddy #2 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Nah.

Gunner41c #3 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 18:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 49515 battles
  • [IIWII] IIWII
lol Nahh? Good counter point and valid arguments. :P

Altwar #4 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 19:18

Major

• Players
  • 58027 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

Not terrible ideas but the random placement of existing maps would be cause for a lot of map reworking.  Say Ensk and Himmelsdorf are placed by side.  Ensk has no problems with the field on one side and some limited egress on the other side.  Himmelsdorf is pretty much contained however so if Ensk were placed east of Himmelsdorf, the hill of Himmelsdorf would make the map inaccessible from that side.  How about El Halluf bordering Fisherman's Bay?  I think there would be some cliff dives trying to go from one to the other.

I do think a mid tier, say 5s or 6s battling each other would be quite fun and more players might be able to participate.

Gunner41c #5 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 19:28

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 49515 battles
  • [IIWII] IIWII

True the map reworks would be a huge undertaking. This would be an idea for at least a year from now at best. And the random map placement engine would also be completely new. But most of the graphics are already set, the edges of the maps would be the biggest issue. Also all maps would have to be resized to 1x1Km to work. Might just be easier to bring in all new maps.

dunniteowl #6 Posted Feb 08 2019 - 19:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 30232 battles

View PostAltwar, on Feb 08 2019 - 12:18, said:

Not terrible ideas but the random placement of existing maps would be cause for a lot of map reworking.  Say Ensk and Himmelsdorf are placed by side.  Ensk has no problems with the field on one side and some limited egress on the other side.  Himmelsdorf is pretty much contained however so if Ensk were placed east of Himmelsdorf, the hill of Himmelsdorf would make the map inaccessible from that side.  How about El Halluf bordering Fisherman's Bay?  I think there would be some cliff dives trying to go from one to the other.

I do think a mid tier, say 5s or 6s battling each other would be quite fun and more players might be able to participate.

I think I would prefer to see:  Himmelsdorf on a 'corner of the map, with Ruinberg on one edge and maybe Ensk on the other (Ruinberg near where one side or the other hills starts up to castle and Ensk next to the rail yard so they 'mesh' together).  Then you could place other city or city-esque maps near that edge and then go on out to other maps from there, like Studzianki, Steppes, even Widepark (ironic name for one of the smallest maps in rotation) and so forth.

I don't know about ALL tiers, because the lower tiers would be like a secret 'find the enemy' game on such a large scale as FL offers.  Plus, at those tiers, folks really should be NEW players or players looking to learn more about the game and, even from my "Pretty Open Minded View," Front Line should be Upper Tier content.

I honestly don't think FL should be open below tier VI at all and maybe it should be limited to tiers VII to X with little to no overlapping.  After all, one of its primary appeals is that it is all Single Tier Play.

I'm saying this with the fact that I primarily play at tier V and VI with plenty of grinding/play time below that as well such that my point of view would pretty much place me 'out of bounds' for those limits I indicate.  This is not me being 'high minded.'  It is me being objective about the concept of what FL is meant to be -- relative End Game Content.  It would be fun to play those maps at tier V and maybe even at tier IV, but they shouldn't.  At tiers below IV, it would be pretty much an unmitigated disaster in terms of players coordinating their actions on such a large set of maps.  So, no, it just doesn't make sense below tier V, really and it shouldn't be something you get to participate in until or after you get past tier VI from a Game Design "End Content" concept perspective.

Even though I would love to play it at tier V, it should be limited to the upper tiers.  It is reasonable to do so.

I like where your head is at, OP, so plus one and Wing Up for the suggestion.  I just don't think, even from my lower tier perspective, that it would:
Work at low tiers

Or that Tiers Below VI should even get a chance to play this sort of mode.

That said, I think it would be kind of cool to have a Low Tier League, where only low tier units can play in a league style format.  I don't care how experienced the players would be in that level, I'm pretty sure it would be fast paced and fun to watch as well as play with the right map setup put into such a format.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Feb 08 2019 - 19:57.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users