Veteran Tankers

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

_Kradok_ #1 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 14:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30060 battles

I'm speaking for myself, not the masses of other vets on here... hoping to speak TO the other vets on here....

For the love of God, please STOP bringing up your service as a way to offer some sort of twisted justification for your online 'gaming'.  Unless you were IN a tank, and offering an opinion of life inside the vehicle itself, combat experience, or tactical battle options then understand this:  IT DOESN'T MATTER.

The vast majority of the gaming group here appreciates our service, there will be a few jackholes who won't, and never will - so what?  I didn't serve FOR them, I served partly SO they can still have their voice; no matter how stupid it may be.  I understand this, and move on.   I served for my own reasons, not to throw that in the face of someone else...maybe they're too weak, soft, or too inept to serve?  Whatever... maybe their mouth is their only outlet?  So be it.  It means NOTHING and does NOTHING to lower MY feelings on MY service - that's an intrinsic thing.

I just get damned tired of reading the "I served 3 deployments".... "I did yada yada...." posts as if that in some way makes you better than the unicum teenager when it comes to clicking your mouse, regardless of his 'numbers'....  can you see how completely pointless this is? 

Be proud of your service - just don't use it as a leverage point.  I'm 1000000% certain if Sydney Valpy Radley-Walters himself were alive and played this game he'd tell you actual combat and this video game have NOTHING in common other than the name.

Thanks to ALL vets for your service, but let's leave it out of your toolkit for addressing a video game argument.  Win with your wit, knowledge or your sarcasm - not your service record on a friggin online video game forum.

-Kradok

Just an ex USAF guy who is geeked over tanking in general*

*Wait - this is the internetz - I'm also a French model.  Bon Jour!:sceptic:

xrays_ #2 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 15:07

Major

• Players
  • 50263 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

View Post_Kradok_, on Feb 10 2019 - 08:16, said:

*Wait - this is the internetz - I'm also a French model.  Bon Jour!

While I agree with your overall discussion, I am offended by this last remark... I am a French model! :-)

A person trying to use their past military service as part of their gaming arguments tells me that that person is lacking the self-confidence and discipline that should have been taught to them in basic training. To me, it seems they are being disrespectful to others that have served. The reality is that anyone's past military experience is inconsequential to this game - just as my past history of playing Pac-Man and Asteroids is irrelevant as well.

x.

Ortinoth_ #3 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 15:22

Captain

• Players
  • 26389 battles
Most Vets use their combat military experience to relate to things, and i am disappointed at your statements as a veteran myself. So you didn't serve for other vets to help protect their freedoms as well as citizens? Then i should ask why did you serve in the USAF as you state? I believe you swore an oath that says do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; 

cartires #4 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 15:35

Captain

• Players
  • 40465 battles

^ reread OPs post, nothing to do with what you said....

Gold_Slinging_Noob #5 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 15:43

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1566 battles
Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Feb 12 2019 - 08:46.

Reichmonk #6 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 16:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 25796 battles

View PostGold_Slinging_Noob, on Feb 10 2019 - 14:43, said:

Moderated by Volier_Zcit

Did you even read his post....? Reading comprehension is apparently hard since you missed his point completely

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Feb 12 2019 - 08:47.

boysenbeary #7 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 17:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21909 battles

TLDR for people who can't or don't want to read

"We appreciate your military service, but it is inconsequential to making your arguments or information on the forum more or less valid. While it is great that you served, that service makes you no better or worse on the forums or in this online game because those two fields have little to no correlation other than armoured vehicles"

MrCranky #8 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 1785 battles

PoG

:popcorn:

1stTanks #9 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:15

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 37820 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View PostGold_Slinging_Noob, on Feb 10 2019 - 14:43, said:

Moderated by Volier_Zcit

What an absolute stupid reply.

Anyways....to the OP, I served 12 years as a USMC tanker with actual combat experience on multiple tours. This game caught my interest simply because it has tanks. That’s the only thing it shares with tanking IRL. I can tell you there’s nothing that I learned in the service that aided me in progression of the game or provided tactical advantages. WoT is far away from what the real experience is like and it’s supposed to be that way. 

I agree, it’s just a friggen video game. Anytime I hear people using the vet thing as a reason why “yada yada yada” I just kind of laugh to myself and move on. I’d rather play with a guy who understands the game rather than someone boasting about service but is terrible. Couldn’t care less about outside influences, just performance in game as it should be. 

Edited by Volier_Zcit, Feb 12 2019 - 08:47.

Gold_Slinging_Noob #10 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1566 battles

View PostReichmonk, on Feb 10 2019 - 16:01, said:

Did you even read his post....? Reading comprehension is apparently hard since you missed his point completely

Did you even read my post...? Reading comprehension is apparently hard since you missed my point completely. 

RaynorShyne #11 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:22

Captain

• Players
  • 26287 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY

View Post_Kradok_, on Feb 10 2019 - 07:16, said:

(referencing the OP's original post)

Don't get me wrong: AS a 21-year Army Cavalryman who not only served on M1-IP's, A1's, A2's and A2-SEP's, I'm not touting any of my prior service as anything relating to the game, rather i use it to defend YOU.

Meaning: The Air Force is a great alternative to military service.

:trollface:

Savage__Apples #12 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38372 battles
  • [F0CUS] F0CUS
Pretty sure WG has stated over and over that WoT is not a tank simulator. If it was it would be boring as hell. 

RaynorShyne #13 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:27

Captain

• Players
  • 26287 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY

View PostSavage__Apples, on Feb 10 2019 - 11:25, said:

Pretty sure WG has stated over and over that WoT is not a tank simulator. If it was it would be boring as hell. 

^^^^ This is the most accurate statement I've read in a long, long time.   An ear-piercing, droning exercise where you'd learn to catch 15-minute catnaps leaning your head against your monitor.   

Gold_Slinging_Noob #14 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:32

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1566 battles

View Post1stTanks, on Feb 10 2019 - 18:15, said:

Anyways....to the OP, I served 12 years as a USMC tanker with actual combat experience on multiple tours. This game caught my interest simply because it has tanks. That’s the only thing it shares with tanking IRL. I can tell you there’s nothing that I learned in the service that aided me in progression of the game or provided tactical advantages. WoT is far away from what the real experience is like and it’s supposed to be that way. 

I agree, it’s just a friggen video game. Anytime I hear people using the vet thing as a reason why “yada yada yada” I just kind of laugh to myself and move on. I’d rather play with a guy who understands the game rather than someone boasting about service but is terrible. Couldn’t care less about outside influences, just performance in game as it should be. 

What an absolute stupid reply

Anyways... to the OP, I served 4 years as a Army (1st Cav Div) tanker with actual combat experience on multiple tours. This game caught my interest because it has tanks. That's not the only thing it shares with tanking IRL. I can tell you there is plenty that I learned in the service that has aided me in progression of the game and has provided tactical advantages. (Situational awareness, map reading, teamwork, strategic and tactical deployment). WOT is not that far from what the real experience is and it's suppose to be that way.

I disagree, that it's just a video game. Anytime I hear people using the vet thing as a reason why "yadda, yadda, yadda" I just kinda laugh to myself knowing that person is "woke".  I'd rather play with a guy who understands the game more, because he is boasting about his service, not making him terrible. Couldn't care less about people without outside influence, just the performance in game as it should be. 

1stTanks #15 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:38

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 37820 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View PostGold_Slinging_Noob, on Feb 10 2019 - 17:32, said:

What an absolute stupid reply

Anyways... to the OP, I served 4 years as a Army (1st Cav Div) tanker with actual combat experience on multiple tours. This game caught my interest because it has tanks. That's not the only thing it shares with tanking IRL. I can tell you there is plenty that I learned in the service that has aided me in progression of the game and has provided tactical advantages. (Situational awareness, map reading, teamwork, strategic and tactical deployment). WOT is not that far from what the real experience is and it's suppose to be that way.

I disagree, that it's just a video game. Anytime I hear people using the vet thing as a reason why "yadda, yadda, yadda" I just kinda laugh to myself knowing that person is "woke".  I'd rather play with a guy who understands the game more, because he is boasting about his service, not making him terrible. Couldn't care less about people without outside influence, just the performance in game as it should be. 

12 year old confirmed. Can’t even come up with an original response. And this is your second rebuttal to someone in this thread. 

Even dumber reply than your last. Bad troll is bad. 

Edited by 1stTanks, Feb 10 2019 - 18:40.

Tao_Te_Tomato #16 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 24167 battles
  • [TER] TER

I was in a tank.

Once.

Because it was freakin' COLD and their heaters worked better than ours.  :D

But anyone who thinks this is a "simulation" and not a "video game" has obviously never tried to just press a button to fix a thrown track.  :trollface:

Gold_Slinging_Noob #17 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 18:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1566 battles

View Post1stTanks, on Feb 10 2019 - 18:38, said:

12 year old confirmed. Can’t even come up with an original response. And this is your second rebuttal to someone in this thread. 

11 year old confirmed. Can’t even come up with an original response. And this is your second rebuttal to someone in this thread. 

_Kradok_ #18 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 19:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30060 battles

View PostRaynorShyne, on Feb 10 2019 - 12:22, said:

Don't get me wrong: AS a 21-year Army Cavalryman who not only served on M1-IP's, A1's, A2's and A2-SEP's, I'm not touting any of my prior service as anything relating to the game, rather i use it to defend YOU.

Meaning: The Air Force is a great alternative to military service.

:trollface:

My dad (retied Army O-6) agrees with you.:teethhappy:  He used to call it the Chair Force.

He was actually the catalyst that drove me to the AF over the Army or Marines (Wasn't considering the Navy as an option - I didn't want to spend THAT much time with dude's alone on a boat).  Said to check out life after service, how the jobs translated to civilian life, and quality of life IN the service.  USAF won that hands down.  

_Kradok_ #19 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 19:47

Captain

• -Players-
  • 30060 battles

View Post1stTanks, on Feb 10 2019 - 12:15, said:

Respect.

Have a cousin just retired from the Army, he started as a gunner on M1's & had to play in the sand more than once (he was promoted out to IG later on, and was always ticked they moved him out of the beasts).  I've spent HOURS talking with him in depth about various experiences and questions I've had with my own research into armored warfare...  never have we talked about how I 'once clicked on this guys tank in my video game' ...   :facepalm:

DUKE_AUTY #20 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 19:50

Captain

• Players
  • 37920 battles
I was involved with helicopter gunships and I don't even pretend to know about real life armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users