Veteran Tankers

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

CardboardJedi #21 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 20:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12492 battles
  • [DDVR] DDVR
I'm was a Jarhead grunt in the 90's, so mostly I got around in USMC issued Cadillacs. Did walk by a tank once at CAX though

The_Pushok #22 Posted Feb 10 2019 - 21:25

Captain

• -Players-
  • 13985 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

I walked around a bunch of tanks on a RORO, so I know what I am talking about, lol.

dunniteowl #23 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 00:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

View PostOrtinoth_, on Feb 10 2019 - 08:22, said:

Most Vets use their combat military experience to relate to things, and i am disappointed at your statements as a veteran myself. So you didn't serve for other vets to help protect their freedoms as well as citizens? Then i should ask why did you serve in the USAF as you state? I believe you swore an oath that says do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; 

This Oath, that I also took, had and has NOTHING WHATSOEVER for my reasons for having served.  I served for my own reasons and my own purposes.  If I ended up defending the Freedoms and Liberties of my fellow citizens, it would have been an accidental overlap based on my nation's purposes and intents dovetailing with actually defending those.

Without going into it, I don't believe the US armed forces have served the purpose of defending those freedoms and liberties since 1945.  I may even be wrong on that count and may have to push it back to 1918.

Even so, what you believe, what I believe or what the vast majority of those who serve believe in that regard STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO with why I served.  It would have been, as I first said, a side benefit.

I would only ever reference my military service as a point of comparison to other things and not as a reason I have a more 'experienced' perception on pretty much anything beyond relevant personal experiences in life.  To compare what is done on a real battle field or in a real military environment to this -- or any other -- game is the height of fallacy and hubris.  This is a game, no-one gets hurt -- well, not physically, at least.

Were I or anyone to use former military experience as any form of justification for 'chops' in the game, I would HOPE that anyone within reading distance of said claim laughed their butts off.  That would be on the same level of me claiming to know how police work is done by watching CSI and NYPD or Dragnet shows.

I'm here to play a game.  My military experience has nothing to do with that.  That's just life experience water under the bridge that can make for some cool stories.  It has, like my reasons for joining the military, NOTHING TO DO with the game.

The Oath I took I think I would recommend ANYONE take who is a US Citizen.  It is an expression of our love of an ideal of a form of governance that vests the majority power to the people and their WILL to have things be a certain way.  This is embodied in the concept that: ALL men are created equal.  That idea should not limit one's thoughts to only protecting US Citizens, either.  After all, if we're all created equal and we, as a nation truly wish to uphold that ideal, then ALL humanity is endowed with these rights, whether or not they ever set foot into this nation's border lines or ask to become citizens.

That's just my interesting point of view.  That said, I would never use my military service as a lever to gain some sense of superior knowledge with regard to this or any game.  That's ridiculous.

I believe in that Oath, however I also am aware that this oath had nothing to do with my reasons for having raised my hand and taking it.

Like voting, my reasons are my own and not subject to questioning by you or anyone else.  Thus, asking someone for their reasons for joining -- or to question them in the manner you did and then impugn some less than just reasoning for not saying so is, at best, disingenuous.

+1 and Wing Up, OP!

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

RaynorShyne #24 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 01:37

Captain

• Players
  • 26311 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY

View PostThe_Pushok, on Feb 10 2019 - 14:25, said:

I walked around a bunch of tanks on a RORO, so I know what I am talking about, lol.

We had to cut the @$#%@#$% rusted chains.  I hated putting my tanks on those things.   

Danadae #25 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 03:39

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19564 battles
  • [LONER] LONER

View Post1stTanks, on Feb 10 2019 - 12:15, said:

What an absolute stupid reply.

Anyways....to the OP, I served 12 years as a USMC tanker with actual combat experience on multiple tours. This game caught my interest simply because it has tanks. That’s the only thing it shares with tanking IRL. I can tell you there’s nothing that I learned in the service that aided me in progression of the game or provided tactical advantages. WoT is far away from what the real experience is like and it’s supposed to be that way. 

I agree, it’s just a friggen video game. Anytime I hear people using the vet thing as a reason why “yada yada yada” I just kind of laugh to myself and move on. I’d rather play with a guy who understands the game rather than someone boasting about service but is terrible. Couldn’t care less about outside influences, just performance in game as it should be. 

Ah-HA! I think I know who you are, lol.

Kevlar1972 #26 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 04:00

Major

• Players
  • 22675 battles
Literally one of the dumbest rants ever.  Who cares if you served?  This is a video game not a vfw hall.  If you served great.  If you didn't serve great.  Being a veteran has zero impact and nothing to do with pixel tanks.

Unless you were combat arms.  Then you probably had a lot of free time in the barracks to play video games since you really have no job in garrison.  

DoctorFate #27 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 18:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 8791 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Post1stTanks, on Feb 10 2019 - 17:15, said:

What an absolute stupid reply.

Anyways....to the OP, I served 12 years as a USMC tanker with actual combat experience on multiple tours. This game caught my interest simply because it has tanks. That’s the only thing it shares with tanking IRL. I can tell you there’s nothing that I learned in the service that aided me in progression of the game or provided tactical advantages. WoT is far away from what the real experience is like and it’s supposed to be that way. 

I agree, it’s just a friggen video game. Anytime I hear people using the vet thing as a reason why “yada yada yada” I just kind of laugh to myself and move on. I’d rather play with a guy who understands the game rather than someone boasting about service but is terrible. Couldn’t care less about outside influences, just performance in game as it should be. 

I think Basic Platoon Tactics , learned in military help with WOT play.

Knagar #28 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 19:05

Captain

• Players
  • 21408 battles
We're all very proud of the work y'all have done. Heck, I'm from Canada and I appreciate the work American troops do. While Canadian troops put in the work, we seem to generally respond to a situation. America is out actively trying to prevent and deter situations.

Keeping Canada and America safe isn't an easy job, and we thank both Canadian and American troops for all of that hard work.

Anublister #29 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 00:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 66639 battles
  • [--T--] --T--
Thank you for your service. And more importantly your wisdom and humility.

Crimson_Saber #30 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 09:14

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 15516 battles
I always tell people who complain that some mechanics in this game don't match with tanks in real life. If you want real life tanking join the military. 

leadtag101 #31 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 12:34

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15421 battles
I'm a veteran of MicroProse M1 Tank Platoon circa 1989!:trollface:

dunniteowl #32 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 17:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

View Postleadtag101, on Feb 12 2019 - 05:34, said:

I'm a veteran of MicroProse M1 Tank Platoon circa 1989!:trollface:

I believe that one was called: Steel Thunder (M1A1-A Abrams Tank Combat)

I could look in my game library on my shelf and verify.  I have it on 5.25" disks.

That, along with "Strike Fleet" kept me awake many, many hours into the broad daylight after getting home from my night job.

OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users