Jump to content


Frontlines Experience?


  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

ProfessionalFinn #21 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 22:38

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 23547 battles
  • 1,428
  • Member since:
    02-23-2016

Love playing FL, very nice for a change.

One pleasant surprise, my KV-4 (least favorite of my heavies) does OK. 

Why?  My guesses are there is less reliance on premium ammo so the KV-4 strong armor bounces lots of shots.

The pen, rate of fire and accuracy of the 107 mm ZiS-24 is sufficient against Tier VIII.  But nothing higher.

 

 



TheRealHexman #22 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 22:50

    Private

  • -Players-
  • 10370 battles
  • 4
  • [8CH] 8CH
  • Member since:
    07-30-2014

View PostGrey_, on Feb 11 2019 - 16:06, said:

 

If you decide to play you'll need a tier 8 vehicle. You can either rent or buy one. Just fyi I looked at your stats and if you decide to buy, you should get the T26E5 which is currently on sale and you could use your T29 crew with it.

 

+1 for being a helpful human being!

golruul #23 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 22:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 21683 battles
  • 1,241
  • Member since:
    11-05-2011

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Feb 11 2019 - 15:38, said:

Love playing FL, very nice for a change.

One pleasant surprise, my KV-4 (least favorite of my heavies) does OK. 

Why?  My guesses are there is less reliance on premium ammo so the KV-4 strong armor bounces lots of shots.

The pen, rate of fire and accuracy of the 107 mm ZiS-24 is sufficient against Tier VIII.  But nothing higher.

 

 

 

Slow, heavily armored tanks are able to use their primary asset when top tier. 

 

When bottom tier, their primary asset becomes irrelevant, which makes them much more sucky than tanks that don't rely on armor and rely on mobility instead. 

 

Mobility is useful regardless of tier while armor isn't (until you get to tier 10, that is).



NeatoMan #24 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 23:35

    Major

  • Players
  • 27282 battles
  • 18,754
  • Member since:
    06-28-2011

View PostQuicksilverJPR, on Feb 11 2019 - 15:18, said:

That part can be marginally true/correct.  I've made some stupid XP in FL mode with some tanks...more than I've ever gotten in standard randoms.

 

Plus, I know I will not see tier 10s.

Of course, but you also play longer in frontlines.  The typical tier 8 pub match lasts ~6:30 min.  Frontlines usually go well over 20 min.  You can fit 3 to 4 random pub matches in that time.   Apply the same boosters and premium tank/account bonuses that you used in frontlines and you'll find you probably make more in 3 to 4 games worth of pubs



ProfessionalFinn #25 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 23:56

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 23547 battles
  • 1,428
  • Member since:
    02-23-2016

 

Toward the end of a FL battle, the announcer states "The General has entered."

What does this mean?  Who is the "General"?



Zenarik #26 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 00:02

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 18471 battles
  • 36
  • Member since:
    06-12-2013
I like it so far, but the overtime thing can go [edited]itself.

nukesixing #27 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 00:20

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 12273 battles
  • 19
  • Member since:
    11-17-2012
It's a fun mode, been playing for a few games, but I CAN NOT WIN A SINGLE GAME:( 

Armodeus #28 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 01:59

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 19351 battles
  • 237
  • Member since:
    07-16-2012

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Feb 11 2019 - 23:56, said:

 

Toward the end of a FL battle, the announcer states "The General has entered."

What does this mean?  Who is the "General"?

 

Someone on your team has racked up enough damage and XP to be promoted to General.

 

I am absolutely loving FL mode. I'm a little surprised that my T28 Prot is turning out to be the go-to tank for this mode for me, but I love playing it so that works out great in my case. I actually played for half an hour longer than I planned today which hasn't happened in a couple years in regards to WoT.  Good stuff.



TheseViolentDelights #29 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 04:14

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 14196 battles
  • 713
  • Member since:
    12-12-2017

Massive lag spikes (varied from 150-999, usually have 30-50 ping) made it unplayable. Rebooted, same result. 

 

 

So, ummm, Frontline no beuno.



DeviouslyCursed #30 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 04:57

    Sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 2179 battles
  • 182
  • Member since:
    12-13-2018

View PostNeatoMan, on Feb 11 2019 - 16:27, said:

From an XP/time perspective you are actually better off just grinding random battles.   People see those big XP and credit numbers and think "wow, I'm really raking in the XP now".  They never consider the time spent. 

 

A couple additional factors though:

1. You can play a stock tank without it screwing up your stats.

2. You can play the stock tank once, then use your other tanks to up your ranking to get a lot of experience with the stock or crap tank without actually playing it much at all.

 

Sure you can get more xp in same amount of time in random battles, but you have to play the stock/crappy tank the entire time.



Nonamanadus #31 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 05:06

    Major

  • Players
  • 30265 battles
  • 3,856
  • [HBG] HBG
  • Member since:
    02-02-2013

View PostArmodeus, on Feb 12 2019 - 00:59, said:

 

Someone on your team has racked up enough damage and XP to be promoted to General.

 

I am absolutely loving FL mode. I'm a little surprised that my T28 Prot is turning out to be the go-to tank for this mode for me, but I love playing it so that works out great in my case. I actually played for half an hour longer than I planned today which hasn't happened in a couple years in regards to WoT.  Good stuff.

 

I was mulling the idea of it....its a pretty strong beast.

DixonCider563 #32 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 05:31

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 38621 battles
  • 615
  • Member since:
    08-29-2012
i enjoy it, but the only big complaint i got is the crap MM, last 7 out of 8 matches are all defense, and its pissing me off, with this player base and how fast and easy it is to cap, its becoming non fun. still moving through the ranks though but its wasting alot of time when 80 percent of my mm matches are defense

Edited by DixonCider563, Feb 12 2019 - 05:35.


StrachwitzPzGraf #33 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 05:52

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 38790 battles
  • 682
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO
  • Member since:
    01-01-2015
There were a number of tutorials written by players last year -- they are still valid in significant ways... if you have not played FrontLine -- skim over those documents -- they are especially helpful in understanding why camping (as attacker) is so bad and how to defend effectively.

BYK_Chainsaw #34 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 05:54

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 50419 battles
  • 816
  • Member since:
    12-21-2011

   I must have frontline herpes.    all my teams run from me.   last game I was defending A and we were down to 5 tanks in our zone, they had all

left to the other zones.    So I was getting over run by 4 enemy.

     the other match all teammates hiding behind a rock while I tried to defend C, only to get hit by several tanks from all directions.

 

      so I quit frontline for the day I think I played 6 games and 5 had really bad  teammates.



StrachwitzPzGraf #35 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 05:55

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 38790 battles
  • 682
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO
  • Member since:
    01-01-2015

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Feb 11 2019 - 17:56, said:

 

Toward the end of a FL battle, the announcer states "The General has entered."

What does this mean?  Who is the "General"?

 

It just means that someone has attained the rank of General in that battle -- they revert to Private for the next battle.   

ColonelShakes #36 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 06:46

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 13501 battles
  • 1,390
  • [CDN] CDN
  • Member since:
    01-17-2016

View PostTheseViolentDelights, on Feb 12 2019 - 04:14, said:

Massive lag spikes (varied from 150-999, usually have 30-50 ping) made it unplayable. Rebooted, same result. 

 

 

So, ummm, my computer and ISP no bueno

 

Fixed that for ya.



goldfinger_555 #37 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 07:02

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 27169 battles
  • 793
  • [FFWC] FFWC
  • Member since:
    10-17-2013
Best part of FL is it doesn't effect your stats so just play. I could play this every day for rest of the year. Only play randoms to grind tiers. Am only doing it during x4 or x5 events. I don't mind the 3/5/7 but all tier 8s is heaven. I play no more than 1 non premium and its only to grind modules. The people complaining about you can make more in randoms are nuts. I played for 2 hours and made over 1 million credits. I cant come close to that amount in same time in randoms.

teamoldmill #38 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 07:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 14878 battles
  • 11,234
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011

I suck, first time ever tried it tonight..... 8-9 games, rank 11. Worst performance was a Sargent, but all the rest Lt through Major. This is fun. Wish it was like this all the time. About an even mix of win/loss. I was normally in the top 4-8 people. Being able to move around, try new things, I love it.

 

 



NeatoMan #39 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 12:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 27282 battles
  • 18,754
  • Member since:
    06-28-2011

View PostDeviouslyCursed, on Feb 11 2019 - 22:57, said:

 

A couple additional factors though:

1. You can play a stock tank without it screwing up your stats.

2. You can play the stock tank once, then use your other tanks to up your ranking to get a lot of experience with the stock or crap tank without actually playing it much at all.

 

Sure you can get more xp in same amount of time in random battles, but you have to play the stock/crappy tank the entire time.

 

I was under the impression that each tank's XP and credits are only calculated based on what they each accomplished in battle.  Look at the breakdown of at the end of battle and you can see what each tank earned.  I don't see how playing other tanks helps the stock one, unless you spend money converting free XP, but you can also do that in pubs.

QuicksilverJPR #40 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 15:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 26474 battles
  • 4,396
  • [RPG] RPG
  • Member since:
    01-17-2013

View PostNeatoMan, on Feb 11 2019 - 17:35, said:

Of course, but you also play longer in frontlines.  The typical tier 8 pub match lasts ~6:30 min.  Frontlines usually go well over 20 min.  You can fit 3 to 4 random pub matches in that time.   Apply the same boosters and premium tank/account bonuses that you used in frontlines and you'll find you probably make more in 3 to 4 games worth of pubs

 

I also play longer in the average pub matches.  I play lots of light tanks, and tend to be the only light tank left alive at the end of a match, running all over the planet spotting/killing/drawing fire.  That's only two or two and a half pub games for me most times...

 

So like I said, what you're saying is partially right, but it also depends on your pub playstyle and perspective.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users