Frontlines Tips and Tactics?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Xtreme_Violets #1 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 05:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4825 battles

Being fairly new to this game with only a little over 4K battles, I wasn't around for this last time. That, and being limited to only public battles, I feel I could use a bit of guidance on how to approach this format.

I do know that there are now 30 tanks per side, and the map is much bigger with separate areas of battle, and I have been going over the rules posted on the webpage dealing with the play regulations. But I could use some help from some of you tankers with some sound advice on how to play this type of battle.

So my call out is to you players,( dunnite owl, War Child, Tsavo, etc.) that give good advice here on the forums to possibly give me a couple of ways to play this type of battle.

I like to play my LTs, and scout aggressively, and some times passively depending on the map and situation, and I play TDs reasonably well. I have been working on my MT and HT game play as well lately. Most of my crews are now into their second skill, or just finishing their 1st, and I have 4 extra recruits from holiday missions to crew up new tanks.

The tanks I have to play right now are:

Defender

Skorp G

WZ -120-1G FT

M41D

Progretto

and I will rent a few others as I play. I have accumulated a fair amount of gold through the holiday loot boxes, and will use the fund later to purchase a few premium tanks at discount.

Any constructive advice on tanks, tactics, and game play would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Xtreme_Violets   <0

Redwave11 #2 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 06:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 18845 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ

For the most part i see this game mode as focused on individual gameplay rather than teamwork, to a certain extent. It is important to farm as much xp as you can in each battle and the easiest way to do this is damage, although spotting can work too. It is however important to keep sight of the objectives to ensure that the battle doesnt end prematurely since every cap extends the time of the battles.

The tanks you have look great. Defender is great as a tank to start in as it is nice to have a brick of hp to throw at the enemy to take some early positions. The scorp G and M41D will be great later in the game after 'strategy' (camping) starts to fall apart a bit more and the games open up a bit. I also think the progetto will be good for this mode and will be quite forgiving if you are stuggling to know what to do next.

It takes a while to learn the map to a good extent. It may be worth trying to play on just 1 line/front until you learn it and then experiment with the other fronts upon respawning that way you should be a little bit more consistent and not end up having to wait for your lives to regenerate simply due to not knowing the maps.

golruul #3 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 07:06

Captain

• Players
  • 22118 battles

Mobility is a lot more important here.  Stupid OP tanks like the Defender aren't as stupid OP in this mode, although they're great at pillbox defense.  Stick with mobile generalist tanks (like your Progretto or M41D) until you get the feel of the map.

When battle starts you don't know if you'll be defending or attacking, so, again, stick with a mobile generalist tank as your first vehicle.  You don't want to get stuck in a turretless camo TD on initial attack (1-2 per sector is actually fine, but it's a huge problem when 10 people in your sector are all hanging back because "I'm a sniper tank!!!&quot;).

Modify/level up combat reserves BEFORE you initially click battle.  Also before battle, set up all your tanks (at least 4) you want to participate with.  In particular, put crews in the tanks beforehand. 

You won't need many premium rounds.  You most likely will do just fine with bringing zero premium rounds.

Zaikadi #4 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 07:27

Captain

• Players
  • 26256 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY

I'm sorry, I haven't read the new rules yet, but I have a few tips I applied to the last run.

I agree that mobility is very important, and that is why I used the T-44 (a fast medium) most of the time. I reached General in a battle in which I used it exclusively. If a battle ended up in the town area, I would sometimes switch to my Type 59, which is a better street fighter. In addition to the T-44, I found the WZ-132 and BC 12 t handy for late-game offense. The WZ-132 might be the best light tank for Frontline. I also used the Skorpian G, and it performed well, especially on defense. I didn't have the Progetto, but I have since acquired one, and I plan to use it a lot this time, maybe more than the T-44. I feel that the Progetto and the Lorraine 40 t are the perfect tanks for Frontline. People seemed to do well with the M-41 Bulldog, but I don't have one. I tried the IS-3. While it was very tough and strong when engaged, I found it too slow for the wide map.

One of my favorite tactics was to sit on ridges around caps and snipe or defend TD snipers that were being attacked.

Jryder #5 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 08:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13911 battles

Have fun.

Enjoy the freedom of movement FL has that regular matches don't.

Keep your eye on the map AND the big picture. 

Don't forget about the repair/resupply stations. I did my first few games.

Don't forget that you can spawn in multiple sectors.

Don't forget about those special abilities you get (air strike, smoke, etc). I did my first few games.

Shoot the sides and rear of the big gun turrets, especially hatches.

Zaikadi #6 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 08:22

Captain

• Players
  • 26256 battles
  • [HAPPY] HAPPY
OMG, I changed my mind. I forgot the T-44-100. I believe that is the ultimate Frontline tank. If I had one, I'd start with it and alternate with the Progetto.

PRO_N3utral1z3r #7 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 11:13

Private

• -Players-
  • 23152 battles
  • [-TSO-] -TSO-

Sticking to the corners of the map to farm dmg proved effective for me. Mobility is everything in this mode, playing slow heavies is just not worth it imo especially assuming 15 people could have arty strikes. Dying is a good thing sometimes, it help you keep the gun in game rather than just sitting alive and not firing.   

I also found higher ground to be really powerful especially while defending. Spotting is really to useful to ped xp as well, so stay in the front and try to spot out.

Best tanks I have played for this game mode:

• M41 90mm
  • Scorpion G
  • SU 130pm
  • progetto and pantera 
  • wz td (is a beast to farm dmg)
  • s1 and udes (defending) 

For the love of god dont play arty             

Edited by PRO_N3utral1z3r, Feb 11 2019 - 11:15.

omi5cron #8 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 11:40

Major

• Players
  • 23305 battles

for me :to keep costs down-no prem ammo at all,only 4 tanks since only 1 repair cost per tank,no matter repawn number.

crews will be in all tanks ready to go.

my four ( and i may vary as the mode goes on over the week)

1. m41 90 GF (black dog)

2. progetto

3. fv4202

4. t44-100

i will only use prem tanks to maximize credit income,i also have a LOT of those prem 8s,but i think this lineup will open the ball.last year i only used fv4202,m41 90 GF, and type 59.i like mobility and there is a lot of areas that can be traveled to.

i will have all tanks crewed and in the "primary" slots,so i can quickly switch out upon destuction.im old and slow,so i like to over-prep.

watch out for airstrikes/mode artillery bombardment. if you can use the repair circles do so to stretch out your play time before destruction.

most important: have FUN! this does not count in stats or WR (unless that has changed)

Xtreme_Violets #9 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 20:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4825 battles

Thanks for all the input.

A few comments:

To Redwave 11: this is more ..."focused on individual gameplay rather than teamwork"...? EWWWW!! Teamwork in public matches sorely lacks as it is, and this is more idividualized? Hmmm... maybe running LTs and looking for assist damage is a bad idea. I'll check it out. Thanks

From a lot of the responses, mobility sounds like the key with this big map, so maybe I'll rely on the Progretto and possibly pick up another quick MT to utilize as key tanks. I still have a tidy sum of gold from the holiday boxes, and can pick up another MT to use. Possibly the T-44 or even the T-54 mod 1.

I will set up my Skorp G and WZ -120 and use them as reserves, even though they have completely different play styles( one a glass cannon and the other a total brawling beast).

I think I'll start out w/ my ELC Even 90 and buzz around the map a bit and see how everyone plays.

The re-spawn and resupply points are new concepts to me, as well as the special "combat reserves" utilized in this format, and I hope the learning curve will be quick. I'll see how those play out.

Again, Thanks to all who responded, and I'll see you on the battlefield.

<0

wayne_1313 #10 Posted Feb 11 2019 - 21:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 6729 battles

Playing all morning .... really fun

been using these .......

T-44-100

Progetto

Skorp G

Cent 5/1

Defender

teamoldmill #11 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 00:20

Major

• Players
  • 15473 battles
Ugh, so slow fatties are useless? I have lots of fatty tanks. Was hoping Lowe would be viable at least.

omi5cron #12 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 00:39

Major

• Players
  • 23305 battles
well heavies are actually viable,because when you spawn its not all that far from a near by cap.and if you have a respawn after a capture,its in the next zone and so forth.im not a heavy player,but i see lots of them in FL.

oxf_and_bucks #13 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 00:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 52320 battles

View Postteamoldmill, on Feb 12 2019 - 00:20, said:

Ugh, so slow fatties are useless? I have lots of fatty tanks. Was hoping Lowe would be viable at least.

Not quite.They are good for last line on both sides.

If we have trouble capping I will sometime roll the defender out to help the cap.

Waylandie #14 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 00:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 16802 battles
Get a LT with a big gun, load premium and then just run around destroying everything because of the messed up mechanics.  It's what the majority of people playing seem to be doing.

JunkaTheAdmirable #15 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 01:03

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21096 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-
I did really well with my lorraine 40t on defense by ambushing tanks that got too isolated. Did well hunting down low hp tanks with my lt-432 after dying as well. 

JunkaTheAdmirable #16 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 01:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21096 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-

With your tanks, maybe try

*Engineering with progetto, on defense your resets will be more effective, on attack your allies can cap quicker while you overwatch for them. You are also fast enough to take advantage of resupply points after taking damage.

*Smoke and Recon may work well with your skorp G, you can smoke yourself and snipe whatever recon spots.

*In the city area, try inspire with defender, it will buff your reload and gun handling, as well as allies near you.

Light tank: smoke (to cover allies while you spot for them), air strike and artillery to nail stuff you cant kill yourself.

Edited by JunkaTheAdmirable, Feb 12 2019 - 01:13.

Crimson_Saber #17 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 09:07

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 16491 battles

My current use for Frontline this time around for me is level/grinding. So been playing my IS-M, IS-3, and Obj 416. Contemplating getting the T69 as well.  So I guess it just depends on your goal. If credits is your thing then medium tanks are probably the best  way to go. 

Edited by Crimson_Saber, Feb 12 2019 - 09:08.

LuckyStarr #18 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 10:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7567 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

View Postgolruul, on Feb 11 2019 - 08:06, said:

Modify/level up combat reserves BEFORE you initially click battle.  Also before battle, set up all your tanks (at least 4) you want to participate with.  In particular, put crews in the tanks beforehand. 

You won't need many premium rounds.  You most likely will do just fine with bringing zero premium rounds.

I didn't bother with combat reserves yet, are they influential? As in, can they make the difference between winning and losing? Which reserves do you recommend?

View Postgolruul, on Feb 11 2019 - 08:06, said:

I was under impression you can only go through 3 tanks and if all 3 are on cooldown, you have to wait and you can't take a 4th even if you have it. Did I misunderstand this? I only have three in total so can't test this assumption.

Edited by LuckyStarr, Feb 12 2019 - 10:41.

Tokolosk #19 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 10:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11595 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View PostLuckyStarr, on Feb 12 2019 - 11:38, said:

I was under impression you can only go through 3 tanks and if all 3 are on cooldown, you have to wait and you can't take a 4th even if you have it. Did I misunderstand this? I only have three in total so can't test this assumption.

I can't answer the first question yet as I haven't played enough to notice it. However for your last question, I find having more than 3 tanks allows you to choose the best tank for the developing field tactics. For instance, if your only medium gets destroyed and you need a medium then you're out of luck.

LuckyStarr #20 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 10:50

Captain

• -Players-
  • 7567 battles
  • [AMOX] AMOX

Fair enough.

Meanwhile, I've just learned that the fewer different tanks you play, the less silver you will lose to repairs and ammo resupply as you will only be charged once per hull no matter how many times you take it out. Definitely good to know, I'll try to do my best with two tanks and avoid taking the 3rd because I'm losing credits more often than not, -20k to -40k per battle (with no premium account, but I don't even shoot any gold ammo).

XP and silver gains seem to be equivalent to those in regular random battles, perhaps even a bit worse. But at least you don't have to fight bottom tier.

Edited by LuckyStarr, Feb 12 2019 - 10:52.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users