Does the order you train skills/perks matter?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

sparky_49 #21 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 12:10

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5227 battles

View PostTrevorsT112, on Feb 12 2019 - 03:56, said:

Thanks everyone for your responses, really appreciate it. I maybe should have simplified my question by using Just two Skills/Perks such as BIA, Concealment, as opposed to Concealment, BIA. I really wanted to know if both scenarios would yield the same benefit to the crew assuming both are trained to 100% on all crew members in each scenario. Thank you all for the well thought out explanations.

Short answer that I think you're looking for, when they are at 100% the order in which they appear in the Skills and Perks list doesn't matter. 

MiddleAgedNoob #22 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 13:17

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14264 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostchoSenfroZen_1, on Feb 12 2019 - 01:19, said:

You see lots of advice on getting the BIA 1st. 

If they are first, what are they supposed to improve?

BIA contributes to the crew's major qualification and the three common skills:  concealment, repairs and firefighting.  So, even if you don't have any other skills trained yet, it will still improve view range, aim time, accuracy, reload time, turret traverse, hull traverse, ie, everything that stems from the crew's major qualifications.

That said, in most cases, I would not go for BIA first.  Some of the skills are, in my opinion, more important, such as sixth sense, camo (for lights), SA (for lights), ORD, etc.

GLHF

RHeadshot #23 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 14:14

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3051 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Feb 12 2019 - 05:51, said:

I'm not following.  The certainly have meaning.

Skills and Perks are 2 different types of the same thing....crew abilities.  One type works as soon as you research it and improves as the Skill itself improves, and the other type only works at 100%.

Your second line is more my point in your words.  2 different types of the same thing . . . crew abilities.  THEY ARE THE SAME THING.  There is a minor difference, and that's when they become effective.  AND YES, THAT IS IMPORTANT.  The player absolutely should know that before picking whatever option they pick.

But that is the only difference.  It doesn't take longer to complete one over the other.  There isn't a perk that overrides a skill or vice versa.  There's no logical reason why one of the crew specific specializations is a perk instead of a skill.  It's just an arbitrary decision that WG made years ago.  The only difference is when they start becoming effective, and if a player doesn't notice that when making a selection it's their own fault.

Edited by RHeadshot, Feb 12 2019 - 14:18.

Nunya_000 #24 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 15:19

Major

• Players
  • 21111 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostRHeadshot, on Feb 12 2019 - 05:14, said:

Your second line is more my point in your words.  2 different types of the same thing . . . crew abilities.  THEY ARE THE SAME THING.  There is a minor difference, and that's when they become effective.  AND YES, THAT IS IMPORTANT.  The player absolutely should know that before picking whatever option they pick.

But that is the only difference.  It doesn't take longer to complete one over the other.  There isn't a perk that overrides a skill or vice versa.  There's no logical reason why one of the crew specific specializations is a perk instead of a skill.  It's just an arbitrary decision that WG made years ago.  The only difference is when they start becoming effective, and if a player doesn't notice that when making a selection it's their own fault.

No logical reason?????  

I can understand if you do not agree with the designers decision, but to claim that there is "no logical reason" just because you do not understand it or agree with it, is a bit of a stretch.

I can certainly see the logic of having Skills and Perks.  One is a crew ability that improves the more battles played and the other is a crew ability that does not work until it is completely "researched".  The abilities that CAN be incremented as we progress (i.e. camo, repair, smooth ride, etc) work great as Skills......while the abilities that are either ON or OFF work great as Perks.  To me, it appears VERY logical.

As far as "2 different types of the same thing . . . crew abilities.  THEY ARE THE SAME THING" goes, there are many things in this game where there are items of the same type, but are different.  We have AP/HE/APCR/HEAT  Ammo.  We have Large and Small consumables.  And we have regular and Improved equipment.

I have seen a lot of complaints about this game over the years.  I do not remember anybody ever complaining about the Skill/Perk system and didn't really ever expect to.  I always thought it was actually a pretty good system....though the Skill/Perk choices could be better and the grind to advance these Skills/Perks is harsh. 

RHeadshot #25 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 17:16

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3051 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Feb 12 2019 - 15:19, said:

No logical reason?????

I can understand if you do not agree with the designers decision, but to claim that there is "no logical reason" just because you do not understand it or agree with it, is a bit of a stretch.

I can certainly see the logic of having Skills and Perks.  One is a crew ability that improves the more battles played and the other is a crew ability that does not work until it is completely "researched".  The abilities that CAN be incremented as we progress (i.e. camo, repair, smooth ride, etc) work great as Skills......while the abilities that are either ON or OFF work great as Perks.  To me, it appears VERY logical.

As far as "2 different types of the same thing . . . crew abilities.  THEY ARE THE SAME THING" goes, there are many things in this game where there are items of the same type, but are different.  We have AP/HE/APCR/HEAT  Ammo.  We have Large and Small consumables.  And we have regular and Improved equipment.

I have seen a lot of complaints about this game over the years.  I do not remember anybody ever complaining about the Skill/Perk system and didn't really ever expect to.  I always thought it was actually a pretty good system....though the Skill/Perk choices could be better and the grind to advance these Skills/Perks is harsh.

Where did I ever complain about it?  While WG's decisions are arbitrary about what is a skill and what is a perk, where did I ever complain about perks and skills?

Edited by RHeadshot, Feb 12 2019 - 17:18.

Peak_Bagger #26 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 17:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 17816 battles
  • [W_T_F] W_T_F
Wait - do I need to start referring to my 4 skill crews as "4 skill/perk crews" or will this verbal misspeak be forgiven in favour of efficiency? :) 

Nunya_000 #27 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 21111 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostRHeadshot, on Feb 12 2019 - 08:16, said:

Where did I ever complain about it?  While WG's decisions are arbitrary about what is a skill and what is a perk, where did I ever complain about perks and skills?

My apologies then.  It just seemed that calling it "arbitrary" and "no logical reason" appeared to be a complaint on the design of the system.

RHeadshot #28 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 17:43

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3051 battles

View PostNunya_000, on Feb 12 2019 - 17:29, said:

My apologies then.  It just seemed that calling it "arbitrary" and "no logical reason" appeared to be a complaint on the design of the system.

No, it was just a comment related to my view that the differences are basically insignificant.  You read the description and determine when it takes effect.  Other than that, they're the same thing, and you look under "skills" in the personnel file to find them both.  That's why I haven't understood the passion to distinguish the two that's been shown this thread.

dunniteowl #29 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 19:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 26338 battles

View PostRHeadshot, on Feb 12 2019 - 10:43, said:

No, it was just a comment related to my view that the differences are basically insignificant.  You read the description and determine when it takes effect.  Other than that, they're the same thing, and you look under "skills" in the personnel file to find them both.  That's why I haven't understood the passion to distinguish the two that's been shown this thread.

This sentiment explains, to me, at least, a lot about why you struggle with this game.

You define a desire to be accurate as 'passion.'  You see no real distinction between a Skill and a Perk for no other reason than you find them in the same place.  Lastly you conflate one as the same as the other when they both work quite differently.

Hang in there and take the time to appreciate their differences and you'll gain greater understanding.  Try that as opposed to dismissing what others are telling you and you might find things change for you.

Hang in there.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

RHeadshot #30 Posted Feb 12 2019 - 20:46

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3051 battles

View Postdunniteowl, on Feb 12 2019 - 19:54, said:

This sentiment explains, to me, at least, a lot about why you struggle with this game.

You define a desire to be accurate as 'passion.'  You see no real distinction between a Skill and a Perk for no other reason than you find them in the same place.  Lastly you conflate one as the same as the other when they both work quite differently.

Hang in there and take the time to appreciate their differences and you'll gain greater understanding.  Try that as opposed to dismissing what others are telling you and you might find things change for you.

Hang in there.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

Lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users