Any Way to Play El Halluf Well?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Katamariguy1 #1 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 10:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3904 battles
  • [PONYR] PONYR
It reminds me of WWI. Two heavily entrenched sides and a deadly no-man's-land in the middle. The only strategy I can think of is to rush and hope that not everyone is killed. Just like in the real war. Does anyone have any ideas?

Amarak #2 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 10:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5774 battles
For the most part in my experience, who ever dominates the heights of the A line wins the game. Occasionally, from the East base, you can take the lower edge, work your way up the switchback and take them from the South. That generally only works in conjunction with a loud and noisy attack from the A line though. El Halluf is often one of the more "must have patience" maps. Who ever loses it first and Banzai's dies most heinously.

Toasted_Rofls #3 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 10:53

Major

• Players
  • 9759 battles
Either you take the flank that basically everyone takes, or you send out a scout to suicide into there defensive line so you can pick them off.

The last one works really well actually. Try it on Campinikova, works there to.

Robcodd #4 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 19:50

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14670 battles
In my Pzwtf III/IV I like to run up the side with the switchback right off. Multiple times I get up high enough to have cover from arty. Also, anyone coming down middle hill i can take out as they pass. Then play peek a boo shooting with anything coming down the path. Perfect spots are where they crest a hill so they expose underside. If your in a heavy or slow anything... well good luck camping. Not much else you can do with out at least a little speed.

Also, if your going to enemy side, the farther away you can get from that middle deathzone the better. Theres some decent cover on the extreme sides.

Noskill_McCheese #5 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 22:34

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 4347 battles
If you have a good scout to get into the valley and frequently get vision without dying this map is extremely lulzy.

Shetland #6 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 00:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14713 battles
I see a lot of virtual suicides on this map.  They just run at the other team right at the start. I think people are getting annoyed with it.

And more tanks should help out the North.  Both sides have good positions to snipe from up there, but everyone stays over by base.

Orion03 #7 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 05:53

Captain

• Players
  • 9516 battles
what's wrong with the strategy outlined in this guide?

strategy for maps

knaT_sdrawkcaB #8 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 15:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6740 battles

View PostSmokey_McDope, on Sep 18 2011 - 22:34, said:

If you have a good scout to get into the valley and frequently get vision without dying this map is extremely lulzy.

So true... A good scout spotting with binocs in the correct place makes all the difference.

knaT

fauxjargon #9 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 16:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 3899 battles
To me El Halluf is kind of a love/hate map.  If the matchup is wrong (no/few SPGs, lots of TDs) then it is a miserable camp-fest - nobody can move out because both teams have their guns trained on the valley... once people park their TDs in good spots on both ridges they are invisible until they fire their guns.  If each team has enough SPGs the map becomes fun and dynamic again because camping is too dangerous.

In my heavy tanks (Tiger, KV) I stay back and camp, in my mediums (Pz III/IV, Easy Eight) I tend to hide until something happenings.  In SPGs I have a great time on this map - I only have low tier SPGs so I can afford to spam with my shells, so I spend the round firing at bushes if no actual targets are available.  In my Stug III I camp.

If I'm in my mediums in a really bad matchup (IE only 2 or 3 enemies besides SPGs that I can penetrate), I suicide scout after a few minutes.

NoMoreChillies #10 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 05:42

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 14335 battles
  • [3AG] 3AG
i like to push north and sit just below the ridge line on both sides, trying to bait the enemy into moving out of cover to shoot me, only to be tracked and smashed by my camping heavies across the valley. There is a small area on both sides that is safe from arty and still allows good spotting. Still it is not a very well designed map. More indestructible cover is needed in valley.

Brawl987 #11 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 05:46

Captain

• Players
  • 5603 battles
http://worldoftanksg...el-halluf-1.jpg

In order to win this map, you need to have several snipers placed all throughout the hill (NOT on the actual sniper posts, blind shots here usually connect with something)just above where it starts to drop down. Send some of your higher tier tanks to the A1-A3 (for north side) or D1-C1 (for south side). These tanks will provide your flanking force. These flankers should not advance until most of the enemy's flanking force  is depleted. The flankers should just stand and snipe their flanking force. Meanwhile, have a fast light tank go to the town when your mountain snipers are ready. This light tank will light up any enemy who has made it near, in, or past the dry riverbed. Your sniper need to concentrate their fire on one target at a time. For instance, if the scout lights up a Pershing and a VK 3001 (P), have your snipers focus their fire on the Pershing first, then the VK 3001 (P). After the enemy forces are adequately depleted and your flanking team has defeated their flankers, have everybody rush their base in a line, as this way any enemy that passes will face the wrath of at least two tanks. By the time you reach the top, there should only be two to six tanks left. However, do not expect this strategy to be free of deaths on your side. Do not always expect this strategy to work perfectly. Remember to always keep your base well-defended and try to leave as few gaps in your defenses as possible. Do not let scouts kill your arty, as this is a heavy price to pay.

lordofbones #12 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 06:42

Private

• Players
  • 12620 battles
  • [BASIN] BASIN
I think the  map rewards controlled aggression.  If you are in a relatively fast tank, especially if you are low-tier in the battle, getting down behind a good rock mid map can win your team the game in the first couple minutes, as you spot tanks pulling into position on the ridgeline and your team picks them off before they can react.  Getting tanks under the ridges on the SE side of the map where they have to be dug out face to face benefits either side that can do it.  The same goes for the flank at the northwest of the map.  Grabbing cover behind the rocks in the short no-man's land in between, or pushing up and taking the opposing teams high ground, is doable if you are in a fast tank and the other side is slow to deploy.  Quick tanks or tanks with good gun depression are best on the NW.  VK's do very poorly on the NW in my experience because of the terrible gun depression.  Sherman are especially good because of their gun depression.  The South based team has a disadvantage in the NW in my opinion, as arty can shoot over and consistently hit tanks trying to hug the ridge/lip, while its harder to drop shells on tanks doing the same on the north side, imho.

SirBarnick #13 Posted Oct 06 2011 - 21:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15816 battles

View PostOrion03, on Sep 19 2011 - 05:53, said:

what's wrong with the strategy outlined in this guide?

strategy for maps

This strategy is decent though a little outdated, and not really valid for Clan Wars.  But for Random games its a perfectly sound guide.

Deadly_Stealth #14 Posted Oct 06 2011 - 21:29

Captain

• Players
  • 10429 battles
I tend to troll the middle in my 50-2, I survive full games like that. Makes me a real juicy target.

KPEMEHb #15 Posted Oct 06 2011 - 23:53

Major

• Players
  • 39442 battles
  • [_UKR_] _UKR_
The team that camps on this map most often loses. As much as it pains me to roll downhill in my KV or KV-3 in the first seconds of the game, it has to be done. Though if your team mediums don't understand it, it still does not bode well for the chance to win.

Johnny_Mars #16 Posted Oct 10 2011 - 15:10

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10481 battles
I haven't kept detailed records of games played on this map, but my feeling is that the team at the Southern spawn point wins 20-30% of public matches played on this map. The biggest issue I see is the hill in the Northwest corner:

1. It belongs to the Northern team.
2. It has some kind of hypnotic hold on many people. I still don't understand its strategic value, if it has any.
3. It requires a properly-coordinated attack to take from the South, but defending the heights does not require much teamwork.

The team on the Southern spawn point almost always makes an assault there, and it almost always fails (again, this is in public matches, it might be different in Company or Clan matches). After that, the Northern team only needs to avoid an equally crippling mistake to win the game.

cheesellama #17 Posted Oct 24 2011 - 20:56

Major

• Players
  • 5502 battles
You'd like tanks good for sniping, TDs, and arties.

Orbital_Burn #18 Posted Oct 26 2011 - 16:30

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9862 battles
  • [AR15] AR15
I've trolled the slope of the North side in T-50-2 with great success before.  They have to pop out of cover and over the crest to hit me which ended up getting almost all their team slaughtered by sniper and arty positions in the south.

NewCalamity #19 Posted Oct 26 2011 - 20:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5840 battles
  • [ERAD] ERAD
I find that sniper tanks have an advantage on this map staying on the ridges picking off any targets with a wide field of view.