Taking Track hits 70% of the time.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

AceofBlackDirt #1 Posted Feb 13 2019 - 22:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6431 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Newbie here . I am taking track hits 70% of the time upon the first contact with the enemy.

What am I doing wrong? 

It is very frustrating. I do not seem to be able to inflict that kind of damage .

Nor am I able to do it myself to the enemy .

Pls help and advise.

simba90 #2 Posted Feb 13 2019 - 23:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17066 battles
Don't rush your first shot.

MiddleAgedNoob #3 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 00:00

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17317 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostAceofBlackDirt, on Feb 13 2019 - 16:07, said:

Newbie here . I am taking track hits 70% of the time upon the first contact with the enemy.

What am I doing wrong? 

It is very frustrating. I do not seem to be able to inflict that kind of damage .

Pls help and advise.

OP, it looks like you are playing a lot of mid tier tanks, including premiums, that you don't seem ready for.  At the tiers you are playing, aiming one's shots at an enemy vehicle's tracks in order to immobilise them, and positioning one's own tank to absorb shots in the tracks so as to avoid HP loss, are important strategies commonly used by more experienced players that you need to learn too.

A little googling turned this up: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tactics  There are lots of other guides and videos that can help teach these techniques.

GLHF

Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Feb 14 2019 - 02:07.

Boghie #4 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 00:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8402 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

This ^^^^

You are not ready for Tiers VI+.  At those tiers you will compete against the best.  For example, if a Gold Leager wants to play a game he/she will generally jump into a Tier VIII+ tank and wreak havoc.  That means that if you are playing Tier VI you will be likely to get one of those on your team or against you.  Right now your stats simply point to inexperience.  Play more Tiers IV and V with some VI.  Leave the VII+ in the garage for a little bit.

And, watch good streamers and YouTubers.

AceofBlackDirt #5 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 00:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6431 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Feb 13 2019 - 18:00, said:

OP, it looks like you are playing a lot of mid tier tanks, including premiums, that you don't seem ready for.  At the tiers you are playing, aiming one's shots at an enemy vehicle's tracks in order to immobilise them, and positioning one's own tank to absorb shots in the tracks so as to avoid HP loss, are important strategies commonly used by more experienced players that you need to learn too.

A little googling turned this up:  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tactics  There are lots of other guides and videos that can help teach these techniques.

GLHF

Can you check on that link again , it does not appear to be working. Thanx.

Boghie #6 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 01:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8402 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Op,

Try:  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tactics

If it doesn't work (the earlier post ended up with some extraneous hidden characters at the end) just go to wiki.wargaming.net and 'Tactics' are an option under 'Manuals' on the bottom of the main screen.  That is under the flags and the modules and the like.

MiddleAgedNoob #7 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 02:08

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 17317 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostBoghie, on Feb 13 2019 - 19:17, said:

Op,

Try:  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tactics

If it doesn't work (the earlier post ended up with some extraneous hidden characters at the end) just go to wiki.wargaming.net and 'Tactics' are an option under 'Manuals' on the bottom of the main screen.  That is under the flags and the modules and the like.

Thanks for the fixed link.  I can't seem to get it to put the link in without the hidden characters...

scHnuuudle_bop #8 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 11:33

Major

• -Players-
  • 20650 battles

View PostAceofBlackDirt, on Feb 13 2019 - 22:07, said:

What am I doing wrong? 

Pls help and advise.

You are , I believe, concerned over getting your tracks wrecked all the time. Right from 1st contact up, you keep getting track damage.

The design of almost all tracked vehicles, have exposed mechanics. I their thoughtfulness, they made this an Achilles Heel, for almost all the game pieces.

The exposed nature, and that most tanks have a weak spot built into (usually drive sprocket). Makes it an easy target.

Missing the sprocket, usually means little HP damage, but a very good chance of critical damage. Another advantage, even a miss, will stop and or slow the enemy, and that provides the shooter assist points. Some target the tracks for just that purpose. 

So, tracks are the most fragile part of the tank, generally one of  the largest component, so it makes an easy target. A good start is concentrating as much on hiding than shooting. Use some of the links and look at hulldown tactics. 

Edited by scHnuuudle_bop, Feb 16 2019 - 11:36.

ChaseR392 #9 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 23:26

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 7391 battles

Op,

I'm a noob too... I don't have much to offer aside from some encouragement from another noob. Don't give up... some days I stink, some days I actually feel like I'm getting better at this game....

I'm not sure what kind of tanks you play... but you are getting tracked a lot... first I'll say in my experience some tanks are more easily tracked than others. You may still have not found which tanks suit your play style the best. Do you run repair kits, med kits and fire extinguishers in every battle? I only ask because I'm constantly shocked by how many of my teamates don't seem to run them.... I have nothing higher than Tier 5 so I've never faced a tank higher than a Tier 7... but I'm shocked when I see other tanks on my team sit exposed in the open with busted tracks... or watch tanks burn with obviously no extinguishers.

I always run all 3... if I don't stay alive I can't do damage and I can't help my team. When I was really new (and really stunk) I wouldn't make much in credits so sometimes I would skimp and not run them... all I did was screw myself. Now I couldn't imagine not running them... my Churchill is a magnet for getting tracked so I'm also training all my crew members with repairs. I tend to use my kits in emergencies to get back into cover but if I'm fairly well protected (and not alone) my crew is starting repair the tracks pretty quickly on their own.

I myself try to track enemy tanks when I am bottom Tier, or when they are faster or more maneuverable.... in my Churchill all 3 are usually true... lol. Tracks are the easiest thing to hit on a moving target... and they are usually the first thing you see poking around a corner. Tracking in both situations gives you a chance to for a nice, aimed second shot if you have a fairly quick reload.

AceofBlackDirt #10 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 13:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6431 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Since my first post I learned from posts , two good ways to cut down get tracked as much as I was.

The first is choose your first shott careful. A tier 5 shooting a tier 8 head  straight on is a bad one . The other day I saw an OBJ 705 (?) destroy 4 tier 5 tanks while tanking fire heag on and not taking damage.  My coice should have been to out flank attack from the rear or side.

Second guard as much of the track as you can . Hide it behind a pile of  debris , bushes or some thing .  Also face your attacker on an angle to deflect the shot and not take it head on. If you are hidden in bushes after shooting you must move your position , you will be detected and s response is on the way . 

I think I have cut my tracked hits by some thing close to one half.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users