Desperate times call for desperate measures: TVP VTU

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Felbombling #1 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 07:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12659 battles
  • [49LSD] 49LSD

Ok, so I started the grind on this tank [perhaps the worst tank to roll off an assembly line floor, from early impressions] and I have to admit, for the first time ever levelling up a tank, I'm seriously considering skipping the gun and engine upgrades altogether.  For sake of argument, I normally run about a 53% win rate.  I'm winning roughly 32% of my matches thus far in the crap-wagon.  Mind you, the crew kinda sucks, not having their first skill ground out to 100% yet, so that might have much to do with that low number against tier X competition.

I am having such a painful experience with this thing, I think I'd be better off aiming straight for the Skoda T50 and the 156k XP it needs to unlock.  The thought of investing precious XP into those four upgrades makes me cringe.  Will the improved gun(s) make the grind shorter?  Will the improved engine performance make up for that investment over time?  I'm looking at the cost to flesh out modules for this thing, and instead of seeing them as marginal upgrades, I'm seeing an additional 62800 XP I'll need to grind out... or more to the point, something like another 100 games or so in Hell.

I hear they have a buff for the TVP VTU in the works, but I'm not sure I want to wait around for something not set in stone. 

For those who have soldiered on with this beast, tell me... were the engine and gun performance upgrades worth the time investment?

*** Before you all suggest it, I have critically low Free XP options available to me, or I would have just bought my way out of this mess, as Wargaming intended.  :P

cKy_ #2 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 07:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1635 battles
  • [KITTI] KITTI

View PostFelbombling, on Feb 14 2019 - 18:36, said:

Ok, so I started the grind on this tank [perhaps the worst tank to roll off an assembly line floor, from early impressions] and I have to admit, for the first time ever levelling up a tank, I'm seriously considering skipping the gun and engine upgrades altogether.  For sake of argument, I normally run about a 53% win rate.  I'm winning roughly 32% of my matches thus far in the crap-wagon.  Mind you, the crew kinda sucks, not having their first skill ground out to 100% yet, so that might have much to do with that low number against tier X competition.

I am having such a painful experience with this thing, I think I'd be better off aiming straight for the Skoda T50 and the 156k XP it needs to unlock.  The thought of investing precious XP into those four upgrades makes me cringe.  Will the improved gun(s) make the grind shorter?  Will the improved engine performance make up for that investment over time?  I'm looking at the cost to flesh out modules for this thing, and instead of seeing them as marginal upgrades, I'm seeing an additional 62800 XP I'll need to grind out... or more to the point, something like another 100 games or so in Hell.

I hear they have a buff for the TVP VTU in the works, but I'm not sure I want to wait around for something not set in stone. 

For those who have soldiered on with this beast, tell me... were the engine and gun performance upgrades worth the time investment?

*** Before you all suggest it, I have critically low Free XP options available to me, or I would have just bought my way out of this mess, as Wargaming intended.  :P

​Heard of Frontlines?

Felbombling #3 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 07:39

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12659 battles
  • [49LSD] 49LSD

View PostcKy_, on Feb 14 2019 - 07:37, said:

​Heard of Frontlines?

No, I have not.  I just came back after a rather lengthy amount of time away from Tanks.  I'll look into that.  Thanks.

joeman2014 #4 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 07:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 6833 battles
  • [DEEF] DEEF

As someone who just got the Skoda T50 after grinding the TVP VTU, I can safely tell you that the tank is hot garbage, even with skills and completed modules.

It's bad because it has mediocre maneuverability, mediocre gun, a huge [edited]target, and garbage armor.  There's nothing good, and a couple things that are bad.

The only good news I have for you is that the Skoda T50 is as fun as the TVP VTU is bad.

GL man

Wild__Bill__ #5 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 08:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3749 battles
  • [CDN_T] CDN_T

I am on it now and almost done with this pile of mucus. The 105 is wildly inaccurate from range and has terrible pen. The armor is non existent and is a huge profile. The mobility is ok but not special. You could get away with not having the top engine and sticking to the long 8.8. You don't even need the top turret.

World of Tanks Wiki shouldn't even include "pros" for this tank. Literally everything is a con. I guess the only pro is "This tank's grind ends at some point."

Flaming_Manatees #6 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 09:50

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15578 battles

I'm grinding it right now and so far I think it's manageable. I'm playing with the 8.8cm gun and stock turret for the gun depression.

If you know how to play paper mediums then the playstyle is similar. Don't rush in, don't spot with your face. Try to stay undetected as much as possible. 

I tend to play somewhat passively in it but I'm always looking for opportunities. All in all it isn't a great tank but definitely playable. There are much worse grinds out there (Churchill VII I'm looking at you).

ValiantVic #7 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 09:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 16902 battles

View PostFelbombling, on Feb 14 2019 - 06:39, said:

No, I have not.  I just came back after a rather lengthy amount of time away from Tanks.  I'll look into that.  Thanks.

I think that what cKy_ meant by that is that Frontline is an event that only allows Tier VIII vehicles.  In addition to not having to be bottom tier, it is also a great game mode to grind some of that XP on the TVP VTU, or any tier VIII for that matter, since Frontline play does not impact the player record stats.  I am also trying to get through the TVP VTU and have been keeping it in my Frontline rotation to grind through some of it. Frontline also has its own bounty of rewards for participation which helps with playing even the most undesirable tier VIIIs to get some XP.  Good luck with your grind and may it be as smooth as possible.

Captain_Obvious65 #8 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 10:58

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10929 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T
VTU= Virtual Tank Unusable. 

cKy_ #9 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 11:12

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1635 battles
  • [KITTI] KITTI

View PostFelbombling, on Feb 14 2019 - 18:39, said:

View PostValiantVic, on Feb 14 2019 - 20:51, said:

I think that what cKy_ meant by that is that Frontline is an event that only allows Tier VIII vehicles.  In addition to not having to be bottom tier, it is also a great game mode to grind some of that XP on the TVP VTU, or any tier VIII for that matter, since Frontline play does not impact the player record stats.  I am also trying to get through the TVP VTU and have been keeping it in my Frontline rotation to grind through some of it. Frontline also has its own bounty of rewards for participation which helps with playing even the most undesirable tier VIIIs to get some XP.  Good luck with your grind and may it be as smooth as possible.

In just 3 Frontlines battles I have managed to accumulate nearly 14,000 experience in my 53TP. Not that it matters, seeing as how I already have the 60TP.

Felbombling #10 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 19:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12659 battles
  • [49LSD] 49LSD
Thanks for the feedback, one and all.  I'm excited for Frontlines.  I can certainly see the positive potential of the game mode, and the impact it will have on my horrific grind.  Cheers!

Nonamanadus #11 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 20:24

Major

• Players
  • 30599 battles
  • [HBG] HBG
The tank is so bad a "Honey Wagon" should drag it off the battlefield.

rangerfrank #12 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 20:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27677 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

View PostFelbombling, on Feb 14 2019 - 01:36, said:

I hated every minute of grinding that TVP.  I know some people love them, but I hated it.

Kevlar1972 #13 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 21:07

Major

• Players
  • 22958 battles
It's truly a terrible tank.  I'd suggest using the 105 and going after soft targets.  Take ample supplies of apcr and HE.  The 420 HE alpha can really mess up lights and paper TDs.  If you see any kind of armor just load apcr.

rangerfrank #14 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 21:20

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27677 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS

I will say that I went to using the smaller gun and having better luck due to better pen, faster firing, and better (still horrendous) gun depression that using the top everything.

of course, that may have been a different tank, but I think it was this one.

Ape_Drape #15 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 21:52

Captain

• Players
  • 41669 battles
  • [SOT] SOT

View PostFelbombling, on Feb 14 2019 - 07:36, said:

Playing this tank is like burning in Hell...

Forever.

Edited by Ape_Drape, Feb 15 2019 - 02:23.

ethics_gradient #16 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 21:55

Major

• Players
  • 39610 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

Aside from the early Swedish TD's, this was the worst tank I have ever had to grind.  The Skoda 50 is totally worth it, though the pubs are killing my wr in the Skoda.  I really, really enjoy the Skoda 50.

wganz_87 #17 Posted Feb 14 2019 - 22:40

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 46491 battles
  • [13A] 13A

Just finished the grind to the Tier IX.

The kindest thing that anyone put in chat about the TVP VTU was that it was the 'Toilet' tank.

Actually, it is that material deposited in a toilet to be flushed.

And I'm not talking about an herb that gets hurriedly placed there when the cops show up.

It was a long brutal grind and I started to question my sanity as to why I play this game. 

It is awful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users