No one likes arty. No one good.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

F1O1 #1 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 13:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 59 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

I started grinding my M40/43 yesterday. l ranked to 30, so l figured l would like to relax now that l am in a good spot for prestige. In M40/43, over the course of 4 frontline battles, l died once, and only that because of moving into an assault TD role just a few hundred meters from Cathedral '3' objective bridge. An enemy WZ120G and l were proxi-lighting each other, around corners of the indestructible rail yard sand barriers, l guess the player finally got irritated...or brave?  and rounded the corner at 323 HP, took the shotgun to the face and survived of course, and promptly one-shot me. 

Few things to note. Despite averaging 4K damage, give or take, which for frontlines is around firing 20 odd times, you will make Lieutenant quite easily. Hard to make captain, unless your enemy tries to cap C for  forever and you get block points, or you miraculously join a cap yourself under smokescreen and score on the cap clock. I have seen lorraine SPG do it, no joke. I feel that is a tad off though, out of experience, because l was playing frontline before with normal tanks, and 4K combined still is like only halfway through sergeant. Artillery must have some modifiers. 

About M40/43 itself, it is the best tier 8 SPG for sure. Wish it carried more ammunition though, now l know what object 261 players must feel like, always running out. This makes it annoying as you have to keep re-supply circles in mind, and certainly other tier 8 arty are not fast like lorraine. Look at the size of M40/43, or object 261, which are basically the size of T92 and 263 respectively, and both those hold way more ammunition. How on earth does that make sense. T92 doesn't carry more per se, it has the same though with a 1.5in bore size increase....l would not see any harm in buffing them to 20 rounds. Lastly, l want to talk about how much l hate artillery as a class, just because of the sheer randomness. l have not played artillery since 9.18, except a few games not even numbering 10, and my accuracy l would push for then was 40%+. Something precise like GW Panther, 45%. But the problem is not hitting things, it is the ridiculous behaviour of artillery. Just case in point, the WZ120G encounter, 1050 HE damage shell, failed to kill a 323HP WZ120G, while though moderately armoured, is not something like Badger. 323 HP is not even 1/3 damage roll, by the way. Critical hit the tracks of an oho, 96 damage. Somua right into the turret, 174. My personal favourite, skorpion hit while moving and sliding to a halt because track hit, 197. Artillery lacks lethality, it is just a problem again and again. And with re-use med/repair kits, or frontline supply circles, stun or immobile assist is difficult to get.  l never got a single penetrating hit in 4 battles, light tanks are too fast to hit, especially with frontline ranges being over 1,200m much of the time, with the shell hang-time. Hits that l could have penetrated, against tanks like skorpion, or meds like mutz and lorraine, were track hits or angle nonpen. Did get the occasional -high damage- roll on a heavy tank, l think 412 against lS6 was the highest l keenly remember. That still is not even 50% damage roll, more of 39%. HE is a terrible form of attack. The off chance l did get to hit something like a CDC and penetrate it for 1,050 damage? Well, chances are a skorpion or SU130 are switching to HE too, and penetrating vehicles like this too for 640+ more reliably, more accurately, and quicker. The amount of time l see FV207 or lorraine doing 0 damage and just stunning in frontlines, is funny. lt is all over the place. 

Arty firepower is a joke. On frontlines, vehicles like patriot, progetto, lorraine, skorp, SU130, charioteer  -  these things are just WAY more dangerous than an arty. Like twice, maybe three times more. Heavens forbid a purple player with 3K WN8 in one of those tanks, devastating frontline match with 10K+ dmg. l will tell you for certain, it was not in an arty. ln tier ten, it is no different. Sure, stun can be annoying, without all the resupply circles, l get it. But doing next to nothing for damage isn't fun either, when you have to spend 30 seconds in aiming.  l do not even know why l am grinding it, arty sucks.

This class needs to be removed, it does no good for the game, and does not reward the players trying to do well in them. lt is random as heck, on top of an already random game. Here are a suggestions: 

make all SPGs into TD, with better gun stats and HP. For instance, M37 resembles the T40, both using a 105 howitzer. SU122A resembles a SU85 with 122 howitzer. Lorraine 155 resembles a SU152, with 152 howitzer. Move the HE damage back to normal levels, but keep their old relatively low pen, and no gold ammunition. For instance a T92 does 2,250 damage with only 120 pen, and DPM relative but lower to things we already see, like FV183. This is not a new concept, and everyone gets to keep their investment and tech tree. And all of a sudden these vehicles become more of a team player, abiding by game norm.  

or suggestion 2, remove arty and fairly compensate people, and make consumable -call down- arty.....like in frontlines or strongholds, and this consumable is randomly assigned to 2 people per side 15 vs 15 game. lt takes 30 seconds to ready, can cause friendly fire and penalizes reckless users.

Well, speech over. Good luck in ranks, have fun in frontlines. lf someone hits your tank with M40/43, it maybe me. But don't fret, though l may stun you for 15 seconds, l probably only did 200 dmg.

Festung #2 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 15:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35877 battles
Is this for a college thesis? 

Gothraul #3 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 15:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 2162 battles
I wish that WG would fix this class right while at the same time reducing them further so they couldn't double and triple focus. Performance wise the vast majority of sky cancers are abysmal mainly due to the poor handling and the Russian Number Generator robbing players and their teams reasonable battles. The last thing is that WG needs to add more maps then have it to where each class wouldn't get a certain map as having sky cancer on city maps is horrendous and wasteful where the slots could have been used for something else.

Tolos #4 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 16:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF
I kinda like Arty. Does that means I'm bad ?. 

Joe_Chism #5 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 16:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 21080 battles
I reached General playing my GW Tiger P on defense so it is possible to have a monster Frontline experience in an arty.

xrays_ #6 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 16:17

Major

• Players
  • 50578 battles
  • [FELOW] FELOW

I really, truly, like playing with and against artillery. In fact, I like it more than the other four classes. Thus, your whole premise is wrong.

x.

the_dude_76 #7 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 16:35

Major

• Players
  • 33012 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM
Suggestion 3- Just get used to it because it isn't going anywhere...

AnimeCrusader_RaaRaa #8 Posted Feb 15 2019 - 18:58

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5753 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Sorry but you played arty so by default you are the problem. That is the worst sin a man go do. This is eternal

F1O1 #9 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 01:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 59 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

View PostTolos, on Feb 15 2019 - 15:02, said:

I kinda like Arty. Does that means I'm bad ?. 

my brother says you don't play anymore, you just sit in loz' retirement home.

And have fun trolling the forums. l do not doubt that you are good, but how long ago?

Midas teach you all you need to know about arty? 

View Postxrays_, on Feb 15 2019 - 15:17, said:

Thus, your whole premise is wrong..

l said someone good. Not some green.

Your 3rd marks (which take thousands of games not hundreds) may have many fooled, but that junk doesn't fool me. Your tier ten tanks say you are alright. You do your HP, then pack it in. Now, while that may seem nice for a green, all the power to you, that still proves a point. You prefer to do damage in an arty, because finding damage in a tank seems to be difficult for you. There are outliers, you, midas, ted - hey man all the power to you and like all the arty you want. But the class sucks, and does not belong. And you know it. 

the_dude_76 #10 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 15:15

Major

• Players
  • 33012 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

View PostF1O1, on Feb 15 2019 - 18:16, said:

Your 3rd marks (which take thousands of games not hundreds) may have many fooled, but that junk doesn't fool me. 

This coming from a  guy too scared to post from his real account actually made me laugh out loud!! Who do you think you're fooling?? Your opinion here literally counts for zero as do the opinions of everyone who hides behind an alt account...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users