Frontline 2019 Is Harder

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Captain_Rownd #1 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 09:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

Frontline is a lot harder this year.  I'm running the exact same tanks as last year, and getting MUCH worse results.  A lot of games I don't even getting to Lieutenant.  For some reason my tanks are getting tracked far more often, leading to quick deletions.  Games are ending faster, leading to les rewards.  People are abandoning zones more often.  There's a lot of YOLO in one zone and nobody to shoot at in another zone.  (but if you get bored and leave a zone the YOLO will suddenly appear there like magic)  Even more people have the newer premiums.  The autoloaders are brutal. 

JakeTheMystic #2 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 11:02

Major

• Players
  • 24197 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

I've more or less performed the same as last season, getting general 3/5 games I'd say. Noticing more blowouts than usual, but I can still salvage a major out of them in a worst case scenario. 

I think I've only had 1 game where nobody made it to major, it was kind of strange but the defense held only because the attackers never really attacked, just sat in spawn and sniped, so nobody did any real damage that match.,,

Most games I still end up top 3 on damage, so its not such a surprise.

Last season I ran mostly Defender, Lowe, Meatball and the SU-14-2 to farm stun assists. 

This season I've basically been running IS-3A (I use the same crew in the defender so I can't use both), Lowe, Meatball, and VK 100 01P if i'm feeling really bored. 

The mode has already become really stale for me. They made attacking way too easy. Most people still sit back and chai snipe for damage, even though getting assists and playing the objective is a much faster way to rank up. People are really toxic and cry if you lose, they refuse to give up points to get extra time and people don't seem to understand that win/loss doesn't matter, you get the same amount of XP/Credits regardless, only your rank for the match matters. 

I don't even want the rewards at this point, i'm only playing if I have someone to platoon with because I can at least trust them to work as a team with me. At this point Frontlines is more of a 29v1 since I've been shoved out of more bushes than I can count at this point. (Sometimes I do play my ISU-130, which people are either upsetti because I bought it or they simply claimed that bush for themselves.)

Regardless, I still hate the mode but i'm forced to play it because tier 10 queue times take forever... 

TL-DR Me salty, me no like Frontline, me just want to play pubbies

xrays_ #3 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 15:57

Major

• Players
  • 51349 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Feb 16 2019 - 05:02, said:

They made attacking way too easy.

This ^^

I've been tracking my results after day three, mentally for now, and it seems that the offensive team is now winning at nearly a 75% rate. Prove me wrong! I played ten matches last night, won two of them, and those two were on the attacking side. Not much fun when you get 6 defensive positions in a row, and they are all losing matches.

x.

GeorgePreddy #4 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

My experience so far this year is very much the same as last year.

Captain_Rownd #5 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 17:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Feb 16 2019 - 00:02, said:

Most people still sit back and chai snipe for damage, even though getting assists and playing the objective is a much faster way to rank up.

There are so many guns on the field that getting spotted often leads to instant deletion.  Playing into the caps at the wrong time tends to give you 30 seconds of glory before you go BOOM and the cap is reset.  Hence the tendency for the YOLO swarm to switch zones. 

It beats World of Corridors any day.

I've also noticed that main objective #3 can be destroyed from some remote location, probably near main objective #2.  Does that require HEAT?  Sometimes I can't even pen the sides of the main objectives at close range. I was sitting next to #3 in one game and nobody was in sight but it was getting pounded by an invisible mysterious force.

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Feb 16 2019 - 17:10.

Captain_Rownd #6 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 18:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

Ech, I can't even get past Sergeant now, even with successful capping.  The game play has become so dependant on switching zones to get into the YOLO swarm.

edit: I'm trying to follow/lead the YOLO more now.  Type 59 might be part of my problem.  Stupid thing is slow for a medium and has a slow inaccurate gun.  Unfortunately I don't have other options and don't want to spend $ on another rental and training crew. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Feb 16 2019 - 19:36.

Captain_Rownd #7 Posted Feb 16 2019 - 22:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

My current rotation is:

T-44 FL - always chosen at the start because it's the fastest - I have Recon and Situational Awareness skills, vents, camo net and binocs loaded, but there is precious little passive spotting in Frontline

Type 59 - at respawn if I need to drive longer distances or do and flanking.  Slow, bad gun.  Has Recon, Situational Awareness, binoculars, optics, vents,

T26E5 - at respawn for capping or anti-capping (has Engineering) - vents, rammer, v-stab

Strv S1 - main objective defense only

I also have two new premiums from christmas boxes that I don't use yet:

IS-3A - I don't have a russian heavy crew since I don't use heavies in Randoms

Skorpion G - I need to train up a radio operator to BIA before I have a crew for this, but I'm not sure why I'd use it instead of the Strv

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Feb 16 2019 - 22:29.

cloudwalkr #8 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 00:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56027 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Feb 16 2019 - 22:29, said:

My current rotation is:

T-44 FL - always chosen at the start because it's the fastest - I have Recon and Situational Awareness skills, vents, camo net and binocs loaded, but there is precious little passive spotting in Frontline

Type 59 - at respawn if I need to drive longer distances or do and flanking.  Slow, bad gun.  Has Recon, Situational Awareness, binoculars, optics, vents,

T26E5 - at respawn for capping or anti-capping (has Engineering) - vents, rammer, v-stab

Strv S1 - main objective defense only

I also have two new premiums from christmas boxes that I don't use yet:

IS-3A - I don't have a russian heavy crew since I don't use heavies in Randoms

Skorpion G - I need to train up a radio operator to BIA before I have a crew for this, but I'm not sure why I'd use it instead of the Strv

I'd strongly advise never running binocs on a medium tank.  If you're passive enough in a medium to setup binocs regularly then you are being to passive.  Also lose the camo net.  For mediums you'll want to generally run very stabs, optics, and a rammer.  Run vents if you don't want to run vert Stabs.

My preference anyway.

edit:  also, you're shooting yourself in the foot by not running that is3A and skorp g.  Those are powerhouses in this mode and will make you truck loads of credits.

Edited by cloudwalkr, Feb 17 2019 - 00:07.

JakeTheMystic #9 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 01:13

Major

• Players
  • 24197 battles
  • [CUBE] CUBE

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Feb 16 2019 - 07:09, said:

There are so many guns on the field that getting spotted often leads to instant deletion.  Playing into the caps at the wrong time tends to give you 30 seconds of glory before you go BOOM and the cap is reset.  Hence the tendency for the YOLO swarm to switch zones. 

It beats World of Corridors any day.

I've also noticed that main objective #3 can be destroyed from some remote location, probably near main objective #2.  Does that require HEAT?  Sometimes I can't even pen the sides of the main objectives at close range. I was sitting next to #3 in one game and nobody was in sight but it was getting pounded by an invisible mysterious force.

You can sit on top of the hill at #3 and shoot at #2, I've penned it with standard from an LTTB and the enemy runs to #2 to stop whoever is destroying it, but little do they know i'm actually at #3... Its kind of dumb and I dont know why WG thought that would be a good idea. 

I don't know if you have the angle to shoot at #3 from #2, but I suppose it could be possible. 

RagnarokBazil #10 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 01:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24862 battles
  • [PUBBY] PUBBY

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Feb 16 2019 - 03:24, said:

Frontline is a lot harder this year.  I'm running the exact same tanks as last year, and getting MUCH worse results.  A lot of games I don't even getting to Lieutenant.  For some reason my tanks are getting tracked far more often, leading to quick deletions.  Games are ending faster, leading to les rewards.  People are abandoning zones more often.  There's a lot of YOLO in one zone and nobody to shoot at in another zone.  (but if you get bored and leave a zone the YOLO will suddenly appear there like magic)  Even more people have the newer premiums.  The autoloaders are brutal. 

WoT Express has prepared a list showing the points needed to reach the 30th level in the frontline mode. They compared it with last year and it looks like you have to get 11,570 more points to get to the last level.

View PostGeorgePreddy, on Feb 16 2019 - 10:01, said:

My experience so far this year is very much the same as last year.

I say Bull...

Edited by RagnarokBazil, Feb 17 2019 - 01:50.

Captain_Rownd #11 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 06:48

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

View Postcloudwalkr, on Feb 16 2019 - 13:03, said:

edit:  also, you're shooting yourself in the foot by not running that is3A and skorp g.  Those are powerhouses in this mode and will make you truck loads of credits.

I don't have crews for them.  I also don't like being slow, and have very little experience in heavies. 

For optics on mediums, I do like to spot instead of being spotted.  25% view range seems more of a gain than 10% reload or aiming, but these guns do have painful reloads and Type 59 has dreadful dispersion.  With the amount of times I'm being tracked in Frontline I've also considered mounting the improved toolbox. (though I'm usually dead shortly after being double tracked)

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Feb 17 2019 - 06:53.

Captain_Rownd #12 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 06:51

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Feb 16 2019 - 14:13, said:

You can sit on top of the hill at #3 and shoot at #2, I've penned it with standard from an LTTB and the enemy runs to #2 to stop whoever is destroying it, but little do they know i'm actually at #3... Its kind of dumb and I dont know why WG thought that would be a good idea.

I did shoot 2 from 3 last year a couple times, with mixed results on penetration percentage, but I can't recall if I tried shooting 3 from 2.  WG should definitely fix it.  I thought I read that the turrets have less armor and hit points now.

edit: I've had some really good Frontline later in the day, with massive brawls around the objectives 3-4 in the closing seconds of the battle, getting up to Captain.  :D

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Feb 17 2019 - 07:27.

the_Deadly_Bulb #13 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 07:03

Major

• Players
  • 26621 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Feb 16 2019 - 21:51, said:

I did shoot 2 from 3 last year a couple times, with mixed results on penetration percentage, but I can't recall if I tried shooting 3 from 2.  WG should definitely fix it.  I thought I read that the turrets have less armor and hit points now.

The 'air vent' on the one side is very weak.

Its small but its round so you don't have to be as side on.

cloudwalkr #14 Posted Feb 17 2019 - 23:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56027 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on Feb 17 2019 - 06:48, said:

I don't have crews for them.  I also don't like being slow, and have very little experience in heavies. 

For optics on mediums, I do like to spot instead of being spotted.  25% view range seems more of a gain than 10% reload or aiming, but these guns do have painful reloads and Type 59 has dreadful dispersion.  With the amount of times I'm being tracked in Frontline I've also considered mounting the improved toolbox. (though I'm usually dead shortly after being double tracked)

Please, trust me bud...lose the binocs on your meds.  You will be far more effective with vents, rammer and optics.  For the type 59 you might try a gun laying drive a try + vert  stabs and vents.  I personally would still go vert stabs, rammer, optics but that's my choice and what feels comfortable for me.

these equipment choices are in tandem with B.I.A and vision perks. As for being constently tracked, I get that.  It can be very frustrating, but I'd still strongly advise NOT running the toolbox but work on your positioning and map awareness.  This isn't a knock on you, personally but more advice for the future.  Better positioning and map awareness will keep you from being perma tracked so you won't need the toolbox and can run something more beneficial for the tank.

as for the lack of crews in your skorp and is3a - you will not find a better mode to grind the crews in and the skorp g is perfect for C spawn on attacking as well as other positions later on.  The is3A is perfect for cap resets - specifically B cap because that's usually light tanks that you can easily clip out and usually get back to safety before you die - netting huge rank points, credits and crew xp.

my personal opinions anyway.  Hope they help.

edit: god I hate my phones auto correct.  

Edited by cloudwalkr, Feb 17 2019 - 23:26.

Captain_Rownd #15 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 00:53

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

View Postcloudwalkr, on Feb 17 2019 - 12:20, said:

these equipment choices are in tandem with B.I.A and vision perks. As for being constently tracked, I get that.  It can be very frustrating, but I'd still strongly advise NOT running the toolbox but work on your positioning and map awareness. 

In Frontline map awareness amounts to "They are capping - get in cap and block!" or "We are not capping - get in cap!", as well as flowing to the YOLO if your zone is too quiet.  :teethhappy:

Captain_Rownd #16 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 02:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles
The respawning can be bizarre.  Last battle we had destroyed objectives 1 and 2.  So no defenders should be left in that zone.  I chose zone F to respawn, which was not oversubscribed.  E was not oversubscribed either.  Instead it spawned me southwest of the D cap!  There was no way I could rejoin the battle from there due to the distance to even objective 3.  :angry:

Captain_Rownd #17 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 04:23

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

I've been trying some different things, and am finishing about a rank better than when I started the season.  I made it to Major for the first time this season, though we had 5 Generals that battle.  :medal:

View Postcloudwalkr, on Feb 17 2019 - 12:20, said:

as for the lack of crews in your skorp and is3a - you will not find a better mode to grind the crews in and the skorp g is perfect for C spawn on attacking as well as other positions later on.  The is3A is perfect for cap resets - specifically B cap because that's usually light tanks that you can easily clip out and usually get back to safety before you die - netting huge rank points, credits and crew xp.

I put my christmas BIA crew in the Hetzer, which leaves me short a radio operator for the Skorpion G.  I was going to train one in the second Marder, but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe it will be ready next month.  However, I'm not sure what the advantage is over the Strv with a 3/4-skill crew?  Strv is a sniping deletion machine that makes amazing snap shots.  Strv S1 is also the only reason I started playing Tanks 2 years ago. 

GeorgePreddy #18 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 05:49

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostRagnarokBazil, on Feb 16 2019 - 21:46, said:

I say Bull...

I don't care if you say "cow" or "dog" or "cat".

My statement was that my experience with the game this year is largely the same as last year.

Last year I leveled up about every 3 to 4 days depending on how much time I played.

This year I leveled up on the 4th day and I'm close to Prestige 2 now.

The gameplay itself is about as I remember from last year and my fps is quite a bit better.

The total rewards will take me about 6 weeks of play time, but the rewards are in some ways much better than last year.

I've netted 23 million credits so far.

This mode is fun and profitable... I like it... folks who don't like it can whine all they want, doesn't change how I feel about it.

For some folks:

But me... I'm a generally positive minded person who understands how the world works and deals with reality well.

Captain_Rownd #19 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 05:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

I think the YOLO is a lot more concentrated this year.  Also, there are a lot more autoloaders this year, which ruin the game by being an easy-mode Delete Button.  Delete, Retreat, Repair, Repeat.  I count my contribution more by spotting, tracking, capping and distraction than by damage, since more than half the enemy tanks get off 3 shots to my one.

edit: I'm making Captain quite a bit now.  Of course they shut it down right when I get things figured out.  :/  Thanks for the input, cloudwalkr

Edited by Captain_Rownd, Feb 18 2019 - 07:00.

Captain_Rownd #20 Posted Feb 18 2019 - 07:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 3050 battles

In my last Frontline of the night I made Major for the second time today, got a Master Striker medal, and made it to level 20.  I got to do a couple caps, push a couple turrets, and there was a big swarm at objective 2 FTW at the end.  :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users