Jump to content


E8 or E2?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

dbringer #1 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 19:20

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 13890 battles
  • 45
  • Member since:
    06-30-2011
Am hearing good things on both sides, just can't decide which way to go. My M4 was my first american tank, having driven mostly soviet tanks, and am liking it quite a bit. So am wondering what you all think in general? Thanks  :Smile_honoring:

Wolfrum #2 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 19:24

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16124 battles
  • 1,074
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    05-01-2011

View Postdbringer, on Sep 18 2011 - 19:20, said:

Am hearing good things on both sides, just can't decide which way to go. My M4 was my first american tank, having driven mostly soviet tanks, and am liking it quite a bit. So am wondering what you all think in general? Thanks  :Smile_honoring:

If you want to make credits, do both. They will give you two very different playstyles. I find the Easy 8 is a very agile mobile flanker, and with the rapid fire 76mm you will throw down tons of rounds downrange. The E2 is a rolling roadblock. If you get matched right you can become a very good frontline medium that helps lead the charge. You're not invulnerable but you can bounce things that you could never do before.

If you have to choose just one? I still say Easy 8 right now...but that opinion might change in the future.

-Wolf

akoaih #3 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 19:30

    Captain

  • Players
  • 23029 battles
  • 1,602
  • Member since:
    07-30-2011

View PostWolfrum, on Sep 18 2011 - 19:24, said:

If you want to make credits, do both. They will give you two very different playstyles. I find the Easy 8 is a very agile mobile flanker, and with the rapid fire 76mm you will throw down tons of rounds downrange. The E2 is a rolling roadblock. If you get matched right you can become a very good frontline medium that helps lead the charge. You're not invulnerable but you can bounce things that you could never do before.

If you have to choose just one? I still say Easy 8 right now...but that opinion might change in the future.

-Wolf
Easy 8 this weekend while it's on sale.  Get the Jumbo later.

MR_magician_PK #4 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 19:34

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5949 battles
  • 874
  • [GBH] GBH
  • Member since:
    04-23-2011
e8
e2 upgraded turret sucks

nublex #5 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 19:42

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 14175 battles
  • 2,968
  • Member since:
    01-05-2011
You dont have to upgrade the turret you know?

I say E2 first, no dramatic switch; then E8 once you have M1A2 and Ford GAA researched.

dbringer #6 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 19:45

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 13890 battles
  • 45
  • Member since:
    06-30-2011
Thanks guys, and good call on the sale part akoaih, grabbed the E8 while it was half price. had to buy a slot and use a bunch of "free" xp, but I got it. Hope it's as good as they say. Thanks again!  :Smile_honoring:

Shivus #7 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 02:18

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 7070 battles
  • 809
  • [MOTU] MOTU
  • Member since:
    01-20-2011
Rolling roadblock is a great way to put it.  Heavies have no trouble penetrating, but pick a good position, and have fun bouncing T-44 and Type 59 rounds all day while you derp them.

disguise117 #8 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 02:45

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 3293 battles
  • 53
  • Member since:
    05-16-2011
I think it actually depends on whether you want to go down the US Heavy or Medium line. The Easy 8 is a very good for teaching you how to use the rest of the tanks in the US medium line. In fact I got my hands on a Pershing a few days ago and it really does feel like an Easy 8 on steroids (in a very good way :P). It does take some getting used to though, but the E8 is probably my favourite mid tier tank.

AragornSkywalker #9 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 03:11

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 2369 battles
  • 925
  • Member since:
    12-27-2010
If they have another event, the E8 seems to have a better chance of going on sale for 50% off than the E2. If I'm not mistaken, E8s were more widely used than E2s in the war. So I would go E2. E2 also plays more like M4.

matt6767 #10 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 03:46

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 1934 battles
  • 117
  • Member since:
    07-10-2010
I had to chose between the E2 and E8 yesterday and looking at these 2 shermans closely. The e2 is really only useful when your in a low-tier match where you're at the top of the list. The mid-tier match heavy tanks will still penetrate your e2 on all sides except the front of the turret. The 76mm gun sucks in a frontal engagement against these heavy tanks too. If they gave it a 90mm gun then it would be awesome but it only has the 105mm as the next best thing which is pretty inaccurate. So I went with the e8 since it was good in beta and its still good now.  :)

dbringer #11 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 04:09

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 13890 battles
  • 45
  • Member since:
    06-30-2011
am still planning on doing like wolfrum said and getting both. Just turned out the e8 was half price, which let me put a vent and rammer into it right away.  :Smile-izmena:

C_Menz #12 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 04:31

    Captain

  • Players
  • 11047 battles
  • 1,931
  • [VAN] VAN
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011
Coming from someone who loves playing mediums and fast tanks(have jumbo and e8 elited) I can say that the jumbo is the better tank to play.  If you are the top tank you can roll around and take on anything(except derp KV's) as if you were a heavy. If you are lower down then just hull down and watch shot after shot bounce off of you(use the stock turret+derp always) since tier6-8 heavyies rarely pen your turret and your turret has a great vertical range for aiming.

My last game I ended up hulling down while 3 heavies(t29, tiger, kv) tried to kill my by shooting my turret. I ended up landing around 25 hits on them and my teams was able to finish them off by flanking. Only one of their shots took any hp off of me.  To end the game it was me vs a Ferdinand. Since you have good armor/health I was able to take 2 shots from the Ferd before I was able to hug up behind him and derp him until he died.

Malexa #13 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 13:24

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 511
  • Member since:
    10-04-2010

View PostC_Menz, on Sep 19 2011 - 04:31, said:

Coming from someone who loves playing mediums and fast tanks(have jumbo and e8 elited) I can say that the jumbo is the better tank to play.  If you are the top tank you can roll around and take on anything(except derp KV's) as if you were a heavy. If you are lower down then just hull down and watch shot after shot bounce off of you(use the stock turret+derp always) since tier6-8 heavyies rarely pen your turret and your turret has a great vertical range for aiming.

My last game I ended up hulling down while 3 heavies(t29, tiger, kv) tried to kill my by shooting my turret. I ended up landing around 25 hits on them and my teams was able to finish them off by flanking. Only one of their shots took any hp off of me.  To end the game it was me vs a Ferdinand. Since you have good armor/health I was able to take 2 shots from the Ferd before I was able to hug up behind him and derp him until he died.

You're not playing the same tank I have played, that's for sure. I've had the stock turret penetrated by E8s. And how can you take 2 hits from a ferdi and survive? minimum damage rolls would kill you in 2 hits, guess he had the stock cannon. (88mm)

Ajatcho #14 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 13:41

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 17201 battles
  • 1,194
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
  • Member since:
    12-22-2010
well it really depeneds on your playstyle and the tanks you choose :Smile-playing:

NoMoreChillies #15 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 14:19

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 15971 battles
  • 786
  • [3AG] 3AG
  • Member since:
    12-10-2010
luv the jumbo's turret 177mm armor + 105mm mini derp means you can dmg any tank you come across.
I have bounced 5 shots while face hugging a tiger and killed him ez.

Joe_B #16 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 15:30

    Captain

  • Players
  • 22530 battles
  • 1,560
  • [VPG-S] VPG-S
  • Member since:
    03-29-2011
I enjoy the Easy 8 more than the Jumbo.  It fits my style better.

I prefer speed and acceleration to armor and lumbering along.

I have never been a fan of the 105 or any of the other high alpha damage, HE only, low pen, low accuracy, low ROF guns.

At tier 6, both tanks will find themselves in high tier heavy battles.  Those high tier tanks can easily pen the armor (maybe not the front of turret but definitely everywhere else) and that means if you find yourself in less than ideal situations (out in the open trying to get to a hull down spot) you will be toast.  The higher speed and rate of turn of the Easy 8 allows you to get to better situations quicker and out of bads ones fairly often.

Because the Jumbo is slower, you will find yourself facing heavies more than flanking them (especially the 8/9s that are faster than you).  An HE shell will "always" do some sort of damage, but if you are shooting at the front of a heavy it is minimal.  Using the Easy 8 and its M1A2 works because you are quick enough to get to sides/rears of those monsters and deal a small amount of damage each shot but spam them like mad (I spam AP not HE).

The Jumbo is probably ideal practice for playstyle of the US heavy line while the Easy 8 gives you a better feel of what you need to do driving a higher tier US medium tank.

B2theW #17 Posted Sep 19 2011 - 21:42

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6386 battles
  • 235
  • Member since:
    06-29-2011
it all depends on your playstyle