new players low tiers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

GWyatt #1 Posted Feb 21 2019 - 16:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3806 battles
  • [VAN] VAN
A thought to help lower tiers would be to level the playing field somewhat. In bowling, on a handicap league, you have a 60 average bowler playing with 200 average bowlers and the 60 average still has half a chance to win any particular game. How, the handicap system. The 200 average bowler still has the experience and game play advantage but the handicap greatly reduces the average difference.

How could you apply this to WOT low tiers; by reducing the hardware and crew advantage between players. Maybe something like the following would reduce seal clubbing, still let high personal skill level players play, and give new players half a chance at competing.

Tier 1, should be a tier where you are learning to drive, about what maps look like, and how to shoot at other tanks. No tank should be killed in less than 4 or 5 shots to give new players a chance to make mistakes but no tank should take more than 6 to kill.
•    Restricted to two small maps, one mostly urban, one mostly rural.
•    Tier 1 only sees tier 1, fill MM with bots to reduce wait time.
•    100% crew with 6th sense. Tied to tank, cannot be retrained to another.
•    No equipment slots.
•    No skills/perks slots.
•    No consumable slots.
•    AP ammo only.

Tier 2, should be a tier where you are learning the game mechanics, such as vision and armor, and tier 2 introduces the different classes of tanks. Again, no tank should be killed in less than 4 or 5 shots to give new players a chance to make mistakes.
•    Restricted to two small maps, one mostly urban, one mostly rural.
•    Tier 2 only sees tier 2, fill MM with bots to reduce wait time.
•    100% crew with 6th sense. Tied to tank (except can be moved in and out of premium only.)
•    One equipment slot with one free piece of equipment per tank that cannot be dismounted, only destroyed.
•    Restricted crews to one/first skill. New crew with one free 50% skill per crew member, player’s choice.
•    All consumable slots with 10-20 free small medical, repair, and manual fire extinguisher.
•    Standard ammo only.

Tier 3, should be a tier where you are learning something about tactics, game play, maps, and teams. Again, no tank should be killed in less than 4 shots from same tier tanks to give newer players a chance to make mistakes.
•    Restricted to low tier maps.
•    Tier 3 can see tier 4, fill MM with bots to reduce wait time.
•    100% crew with 6th sense. Tied to tank (except can be moved in and out of premium only.)
•    Three equipment slots with one free piece of equipment per tank that cannot be dismounted, only destroyed.
•    Restricted to one/first skill. New crew with free 50% skill per crew members, player’s choice.
•    All consumable slots with 10-20 free small medical, repair, and manual fire extinguisher.
•    No restriction on ammo (can use special ammo.)

Tier 4, should be a tier where you are transitioning from new to newish player. Again, no tank should be killed in less than 3 shots from same tier tanks to give newer players a chance to make mistakes.
•    Can see same maps as tier 5.
•    Tier 4 can see tier 3 and 5, fill MM with bots to reduce wait time.
•    100% crew with 6th sense.
•    Three equipment slots with one free piece of equipment per tank that can be dismounted. Cannot choose binoculars, camouflage net, or toolbox as free equipment as this tier’s equipment could be moved, sold, etc.
•    Unlimited skills/perks. New crew with one free 50% skill or perk per crew member, player’s choice.
•    All consumable slots.
•    No restriction on ammo (can use special ammo.)

This idea is not going stop high skill players from platooning in their PZ 1C's "for fun", nor should it. It will not level the playing field to be flat and I don't think it should. New players can learn from skilled players, even if the new player loses. You would still be able to platoon with new players to show them the ropes. The idea here is to reduce the gap between what a new player can afford in equipment and crew skills and what those with many credits to burn can afford. Also, the idea of tying crews and equipment to the tanks is to prevent players gaming the system to get free stuff to use in higher tiers; you can earn those in other ways.

Tear the idea apart if you would like. It was just an exercise in what I think might help the new player experience without giving new players participation awards or screwing around with battles/skill level/match maker restrictions.

Mojo_Riesing #2 Posted Feb 21 2019 - 16:57

Captain

• Players
  • 18905 battles
  • [ACATS] ACATS

I'm not sure that everything here would work quite as outlined, and it does leave other issues unanswered or just not a part of the proposal (such as seal-clubbing).

That being said it is well reasoned and intelligent proposal for the new player experience. Not every proposal has to be an answer to all problems. This one addresses the new player experience and i think we all understand the player base must grow and expand.  I like also that underlying it all is a sense that each Tier in succession serves a purpose. When you couple this  with the success of the Frontline mode, as well as requests i've seen for resumption of modes for specific higher Tiers VI-X, i think a substantial case can be made to revamp WoT away from the matchmaking concepts we see in use now.

Nice work GWyatt!

dunniteowl #3 Posted Feb 21 2019 - 18:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 28648 battles

Your idea is already expressed in the game.  it is called +/-25% RNG.  This is the field leveler.  It makes the "can't miss" shot of the best players strike dirt or ping harmlessly off that shoddy 30mm armor.  It allows that mud-eating worm of a 42% Bot Player to get in that lucky shot that ammo racks the Purple People Eater.  It's what allows even the worst players in at least some level of denial claim, "I'm not the best player, but I'm not bad, either, I know what I'm doing..." preambles in these very forums.

We already have that field leveler.  It is called RNG.  It's how we DEAL with RNG that makes the difference in the long run.

The rest of it was an okay attempt at finding some harmonic balance into making the New Player Experience more bearable and I laud you there.  It is pretty awful, however I can assure you that it's like four or five times better than it was since I joined.  And it was easier on me than it was on the initial flood.  It's still pretty awful, though.

And, these ideas cannot be instituted with any degree of effectiveness until and when they also limit which tiers a person can play in, based on passing some sort of "bar of performance" in each tank *(Which, honestly, I could go for if it were not used to sideline play and instead used in the aforementioned 'handicap' concept where some metrics were used to provide a 'handicap' in the form of reduced (or increased) XP gain based on who you were giving and getting damage during a match).

In such a system, however, it would have to be based on the idea that stats do matter and that the vast majority of players are here to compete and contest in this manner.  After all, such a handicapping system is designed to bring in the New or Less Skilled Player into a competitive environment wherein said player understands that they DO NOT KNOW AS MUCH ABOUT THE GAME, because it takes a time, experience and a level of play to achieve that.

This means, the score you would derive from destroying an upper tier unit would be 'offset' by the super low stats underperformer piloting that hot mess of Increased chance to lose the match.  And, the super unicum in the bottom tier unit would get a bonus to the upper tier units he or she takes on, but it is offset by the Skill/Battle Count difference, such that tthe Seal Clubber with 7K matches in the Pz I C, due to the extremely high number of matches in said tank, gets a handicapped reduction at that tier unless taking on someone of equal skill and battle count.

That's going to be a pretty complex system, so until they can do that, I think I'll just deal with it how it stands now.

Your own individual ability to apply the game knowledge you pick up to the playing of the game will, in large part, determine where you rank in this matrix of players.  Players who vary from, 'just want to blow off some steam and blow crap up' for a little while to the very serious and Game Involved Hard Core player who spends times studying tanker guides, weak spots, alpha and dpm tables to 'find the best' tank for their playing style, etc and everything in between as players.  Different places, ages, incomes, experiences, etc. and such that you are never really going to get the same set of people on each side, probably ever and you have a recipe for using large numbers stats to determine where you, I or anyone else 'stand' in the mix.

Some folks are okay with where they stand, high or low.  Some folks, no matter where they stand, are not satisfied and they fall into a few groups or types as well:

A) Ones who are always trying to improve and get better, so they are not happy with where they stand, as they seek to get better and apply themselves;

and

B) Ones who are always finding fault in others, the game mechanics, the time investment required, the money needed, the lack of other distractions, etc. and, because all these Outside Forces are there, 'they are holding me back from my potential' types who are never happy with where they stand and feel that if they make long, loud pronouncements as to 'what will fix it' and will never get to work on taking responsibility for improving their situation.

RNG allows even the worst players to succeed when all sense of  reason dictates they should fail  it's what causes that perfectly aimed shot from that unit two tiers up from you driven by the Eggplant Unicorn to miss you repeatedly while you, in your paper armor, pea shooting crapmobile sits completely exposed, unangled and uncovered to survive.

Don't forget, the RNG factor blesses every victim it intended to strike and failed while it curses that guy who aimed the shot,  The guys who aim and strike true most are the ones who notice when RNG fails them, because it is notable.  The ones who Need a Little RNG Love more than the next guy simply attributes this good fortune to 'not being that bad' as the reason.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Feb 21 2019 - 18:57.

Copacetic #4 Posted Feb 21 2019 - 18:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 43658 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS
I don't condone seal clubbing, I in fact laugh at the clubbers. But I don't think clubbing should in anyway interfere with learning the game. Hell is think it should just motivate a seal to 'get gud' and get some revenge. But I'm kinda old-school, snowflake generation doesn't seem to share my sour attitude.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users