Best Nation for Artillery?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

xBEWMx #1 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 23:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hey guys,

Well, I joined earlier this year.  I went down the German Panzer line, and I'm on the 5th tier of it in now.  The other day I started artillery for my first time, and right now I have an SU-26, which I already spent 82k on.

I'm starting to wonder if I should have picked American arty just because it leads to the beastly T92 and other nice SPGs.

So, while I'm still early in the artillery line, should I go back and change?  I really do not mind change.

Thanks.

MR_magician_PK #2 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 23:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
german
other fractions sucks

PTwr #3 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 23:19

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
USA: biggest damage

Germany: Best accuracy

USSR: Fastest loading, average damage and accuracy.

Deusmortis #4 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 23:23

Major

• Veteran Testers
  • 0 battles
They don't seem to play all that differently from one another.  Some answers would depend on how far you're planning to go.  You mentioned the T92.  Are you planning on going all the way to tier 8?

DUTCH_PREMIUM #5 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 23:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostPTwr, on Sep 18 2011 - 23:19, said:

USA: biggest damage

Germany: Best accuracy

USSR: Fastest loading, average damage and accuracy.

Srry but the German artillery is just average accuracy, average reload, average dmg, average ROF

USSR: fastest reload, best accuracy, best ROF, smallest-no splash, only 1000-2000dmg per hit but at >20s ROF

& to whoever is giving this a negative, I'm srry but the German end arty is just avg, but avg compared to the other two nations, it just is. You have to admit it doesn't have any outstanding stats like beastly dmg or the greatest accuracy simply because the T92 & obj 261 exist. What it excels in is being able to do most of everything good w/o sacrificing anything. Srsly, I never knew Type E fanboys existed

DUTCH_PREMIUM #6 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 23:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostxBEWMx, on Sep 18 2011 - 23:07, said:

Hey guys,

Well, I joined earlier this year.  I went down the German Panzer line, and I'm on the 5th tier of it in now.  The other day I started artillery for my first time, and right now I have an SU-26, which I already spent 82k on.

I'm starting to wonder if I should have picked American arty just because it leads to the beastly T92 and other nice SPGs.

So, while I'm still early in the artillery line, should I go back and change?  I really do not mind change.

Thanks.

A really subjective question, depends on what you want and what your playstyle is.

US T92: Largest splash-->largest aiming reticle, largest amount of dmg, largest degree of angle traverse, highly inaccurate, lowest ROF(40s?)

German Type E: Medium splash-->medium sized reticle, medium-high amount of dmg, medium degree of angle traverse, average accuracy, medium ROF

USSR Obj 261:Little-no splash-->smallest reticle,little-medium amount of dmg, medium degree of angle traverse, best accuracy, highest ROF(>20s)

Usually most of these end tier arty's have you knowing what you're getting into once you start the 300k xp grind to the top, except for the obj 261 it is just an absolutely different type of playstyle from the obj 212 but a much more wonderful feeling like you feel with the other end tier artys.
Your best bet is to just tough it out, determine what your own playstyle is, and experiment with all the arty lines. There is no "Best Nation for Arty", each arty significantly trounces the other on its own class of statistics. They are not tier 8 arty for nothing.

ForcestormX #7 Posted Sep 18 2011 - 23:45

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 0 battles
USA: widest firing arcs at higher tiers. Doesn't seem like a big deal now, but trust me it adds up later.

Mouseman #8 Posted Sep 20 2011 - 16:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDUTCH_PREMIUM, on Sep 18 2011 - 23:28, said:

Srry but the German artillery is just average accuracy, average reload, average dmg, average ROF

USSR: fastest reload, best accuracy, best ROF, smallest-no splash, only 1000-2000dmg per hit but at >20s ROF

& to whoever is giving this a negative, I'm srry but the German end arty is just avg, but avg compared to the other two nations, it just is. You have to admit it doesn't have any outstanding stats like beastly dmg or the greatest accuracy simply because the T92 & obj 261 exist. What it excels in is being able to do most of everything good w/o sacrificing anything. Srsly, I never knew Type E fanboys existed

The GWE will be THE tier 8 preferred arty as soon as they add tracers back into the game.  While it doesn't do the damage of the T92, or have the accuracy of the Object 261, it has one enormous advantage..its skirts.  The GWE can get splashed and take no damage from shots that would splash and kill the other tier 8 arties.   Currently without counterbattery fire, that isn't an issue and it makes the other 2 arties desirable either for their better damage (T92) or for their accuracy and reload rate (Object 261).

Of course the downside of the GWE is it costs 30K on average to repair opposed to the 20K that the other tier 8 arties cost to repair.

As for which nation has the best arties...it really depends on which tier you're talking about.  

Tier 5 Germans have the best arty with the Hummel.

Tier 6 Germans have the fastest firing most accurate arty in the game with the GW-Panther (also the widest horizontal other than the soviet tier 3 with its 360 turret).  However, the soviets with their S-51 mount a tier 8 gun at tier 6 so actually do more damamge per hit.  I've played both, and while I think the GW-Panther is going to be THE counterbattery tank, the S-51 definately has more killing power.
Tier 7 Americans have the best arty with the M40/43.  This may doe a little less damage than the Object 212 or the GW-Tiger but it has a faster load time, and the same horizontal of the hummel, allowing you to better track and kill moving targets without engaging your tracks.

Tier 8 This is really very arguable.  The T92 hits hardest with a huge splash, fires slowly and innacurately.  The Object 261 Fires quickly and accurately with a small splash (actually does less damage and smaller splash than Object 212, some people consider it a downgrade).  The GWE is a middle of the road arty, still using the same gun as the GW-Tiger, but has the advantage of not taking damage from splash...which as I've said before makes little difference now, but will be a HUGE advantage when tracers are added in again and counterbattery fire becomes an issue.

I've played all 3 nationalities of arty up to tier 8 except americans...which I will have by the end of the week.  While my opinion on these SPGs may not represent all of the arty community, I think you'll find it fairly representative.

Rypper #9 Posted Sep 21 2011 - 22:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Hmm... not completely sold on GWP as THE CB tank. It is lacking splash damage, so unless you manage to score a direct (or a very close) hit, you won't kill anything even the same tier.

Mouseman #10 Posted Sep 22 2011 - 19:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRypper, on Sep 21 2011 - 22:24, said:

Hmm... not completely sold on GWP as THE CB tank. It is lacking splash damage, so unless you manage to score a direct (or a very close) hit, you won't kill anything even the same tier.

If you're countering a GWE it won't matter if you splash anyway, you won't damage the tank, which is why the GWE will be what most people run when tracers and CB are added back to the game.  Direct hits will still kill GWEs (or any other arty).  So having a fast firing highly accurate gun with a very very wide horizontal is going to be more important than splash IMO.  While the Object 261 may be almost as accurate and can fire quickly for a tier 8 while having a 2m wider splash area, its very narrow horizontal is going to occaisionally cause problems when you try to CB a target.

Sure, against any other SPG splash works great, but I expect to see all the hardcore artillerists migrating to GWEs once counterbattery is again possible...so direct hits will be necessary, and the limited splash of the GWP won't be an issue.

DeadPan1 #11 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 20:25

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostMouseman, on Sep 20 2011 - 16:38, said:

Tier 5 Germans have the best arty with the Hummel.

If this is the case (your opinion is noted), the arty of the other nationalities are very poor.

However, my experience with the Hummel was that I had very little (if any) splash damage.  On the post game
results screen, I could have 4 kills, and 0 damage.

Maybe I'm mistaken on the use of arty, but I thought the idea was to knock down their health for your team mates
to finish them off.  I found it the other way around.  I got the kill because my team mates knocked them down.  The
Hummel could not 1 shot any tank it played against, if that tank was at 100%.

halo_117 #12 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 20:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Here is the basic low-down skinny nutshell for tier 8 arty.

The t-92 Is a nuke thrower. Add in premium shells and in my opinion the t-92 is the best tier 8 arty.

The OB 261 is the fastest fireing, If your an impatient arty player this is the way to go. (i'm going rus arty for now because you can come in at tier 6 with the s-51)

Gw-E Is an average arty, Like a jack of all trades.

Hope this helped!

Rockyk9 #13 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 20:47

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostxBEWMx, on Sep 18 2011 - 23:07, said:

The other day I started artillery for my first time, and right now I have an SU-26,

Stick with it.  It's very good against the tanks you meet.

Go up to the SU-5 and your gonna meet the big stuff (IS-4 etc) which even the 152mm cannon can't kill.
It even still has the same sort of range, IE unrealistically poor, but only 1/2 the ammo load.

Another reason I like the SU-26 is that it is the ONLY spg the Russians actually had in WWII.  All the rest were prototypes or drawings only and never were put into production.

B2theW #14 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 20:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDUTCH_PREMIUM, on Sep 18 2011 - 23:28, said:

realy,i did more damage when i had german arty :arta:

zerj #15 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 21:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Overall would anyone recommend as the OP suggests "going back and change"?  In my experience Artillery gets less EXP than Medium/Heavy tanks.  If I were to start the Germans from scratch I'd go directly to the Hummel from the PZ3/4, even if that meant starting the Pz tree from tier 1.  For the Russians the S-51 seems better than the S-14 and the KV is a fun tank so I'd be inclined to go that way.  The exception being the Americans just because the Lee sucks so badly.

halo_117 #16 Posted Sep 23 2011 - 21:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postzerj, on Sep 23 2011 - 21:14, said:

For the Russians the S-51 seems better than the S-14 and the KV is a fun tank so I'd be inclined to go that way. \

Exept it costs 127,000 EXP :)

ParaGod #17 Posted Sep 24 2011 - 03:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have played the low tier arty in the German and USA, I am currently at the 212 in the Russian line.  I love the 212, great accuracy and I do pretty good damage over all.

zerj #18 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 18:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Posthalo_117, on Sep 23 2011 - 21:23, said:

Exept it costs 127,000 EXP :)

So does the SU14.  I'd say its faster to earn 120K EXP in a KV than it is in the SU-8.  Plus at that point you'll easily unlock the other russian trees in your now 100% crewed KV.

Pleatincil #19 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 18:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postzerj, on Sep 27 2011 - 18:09, said:

So does the SU14.  I'd say its faster to earn 120K EXP in a KV than it is in the SU-8.  Plus at that point you'll easily unlock the other russian trees in your now 100% crewed KV.

Yes it does cost the same amount of xp But for me the difference is the SU-5 is the russians worse arty maybe the SU-18 is worse but that isnt saying much.  I myself enjoy arty so i played up through the SU-5 but the KV is sooo easy to get xp on i think it is the easiest route to get to a high tier arty if u dont want to really work at it.

NotWatching #20 Posted Sep 27 2011 - 22:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Personally I went down the American line simply because of their smaller silhouettes and thus theoretically harder to score a direct hit (this was back when tracers were still in and counter-arty was the biggest threat).  But the ones I've found the most noticeable:

T57 - Sloped 20mm armor is actually better than most of the tanks at Tier II-III.  The Bison beats it out in terms of damage, but this thing can move and actually bounce some of that low-caliber long-range fire that would kill the Bison or SU-18.

SU-26 - An SPG with a turret.  It doesn't seem like much, but not having to move your tracks and start your aiming cycle all over is a nice advantage.  

Hummel - The other Tier V SPGs are pretty well even in terms of damage and ammo, but the Hummel shines due to its accuracy and maneuverability, both of which become increasing worse as you go up in tiers.  I've seen Hummels run circles around enemies one-on-one and pop them in two shots, which is just plain insane.  At range its very rare that it doesn't score a direct hit against a stationary target.

S-51 - The option of 1850 damage at Tier VI speaks for itself.  Comparatively, the M12 and GW Panther only do ~1200 with their upgraded guns (albeit faster).  When you're playing a Tier VIIish tank you will definitely fear the presence of the "unicorn" on the enemy team.

T92 - Sports the biggest, baddest gun in the game (2250dmg), which is the reason you see so many in CW.  Don't expect accuracy, but the splash is enough to do considerable damage to top-tier heavies even with a miss.

For those speaking of splash damage, note that splash radius is nearly negligible until you get into the bigger guns around Tier VII.  Don't expect anything less than 200mm to do significant damage to a heavy 10' away from the impact.  But once you get a 203/210, your misses will normally track your target and do a good 20-30% damage regardless.