Are our Skilled Players Pulling their Weight?

stats

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Mfezi #1 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 13:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28035 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

Well, according to the figures below, they are!...

Nothing world-shattering in these numbers, but they do give recognition to the greens, blues and purples of this world and also show the contribution of yellows, reds and oranges to the game.

As somebody pointed out previously, the difference between colors is just one high-rolling shot every game - easy, peasy!.... :)

Posted Image

Note: The colors are based on player's PR using the same color grouping as XVM for consistancy.

Insanefriend #2 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 14:22

Captain

• Players
  • 45369 battles
Your numbers don't include kills per game, which can be useful to know as in most cases your better off taking the killing shot for a little damage rather then the full damage shot on a full damage tank.  I get a number of games where I toss away my hp right away then go play support to rack up all my damage.

24cups #3 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 14:23

Major

• Players
  • 24366 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View PostMfezi, on Mar 02 2019 - 07:58, said:

Well, according to the figures below, they are!...

Nothing world-shattering in these numbers, but they do give recognition to the greens, blues and purples of this world and also show the contribution of yellows, reds and oranges to the game.

As somebody pointed out previously, the difference between colors is just one high-rolling shot every game - easy, peasy!.... :)

Posted Image

Note: The colors are based on player's PR using the same color grouping as XVM for consistancy.

That one purple guy at tier 5 is sure pulling his weight.  Funny that the blues  seem better at tier 10.

Boghie #4 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 14:26

Captain

• -Players-
  • 8410 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

Not bad Mfezi...

The only issue is that it is unsafe in statistics to take ratios of ratios.  But, there is something to be mined in the 'Damage as a Percentage of Hit Points'.  The raw stats (down columns) make sense, but the summary ratio is wonky.

I tried to break my stats by 'Full Damage by Shot'.  So, if I am in my Tier VI Ez8 and get an average of 369 damage/game with a full damage round being 115, than I get 369/115 = 3.21 Full Rounds of Damage/game.

And, I think I am intimately aware of the snarky a-hole that mentioned "the difference between colors is just one high-rolling shot every game".  It came from the above computation :medal:

By the way, starting this weekend I'm data mining for Mfezi.  I am going to provide the Blah Statistics.  The Blah of Blahs.  Bow to the Blah!

Mfezi #5 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 14:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28035 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View Post24cups, on Mar 02 2019 - 15:23, said:

That one purple guy at tier 5 is sure pulling his weight.  Funny that the blues  seem better at tier 10.

I think we can disregard purple until I can get more data!....

Mfezi #6 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 14:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28035 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View PostInsanefriend, on Mar 02 2019 - 15:22, said:

Your numbers don't include kills per game, which can be useful to know as in most cases your better off taking the killing shot for a little damage rather then the full damage shot on a full damage tank.  I get a number of games where I toss away my hp right away then go play support to rack up all my damage.

Always open to suggestions!.... :)

Posted Image

Mfezi #7 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 15:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28035 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View PostBoghie, on Mar 02 2019 - 15:26, said:

Not bad Mfezi...

The only issue is that it is unsafe in statistics to take ratios of ratios.  But, there is something to be mined in the 'Damage as a Percentage of Hit Points'.  The raw stats (down columns) make sense, but the summary ratio is wonky.

I tried to break my stats by 'Full Damage by Shot'.  So, if I am in my Tier VI Ez8 and get an average of 369 damage/game with a full damage round being 115, than I get 369/115 = 3.21 Full Rounds of Damage/game.

And, I think I am intimately aware of the snarky a-hole that mentioned "the difference between colors is just one high-rolling shot every game".  It came from the above computation :medal:

By the way, starting this weekend I'm data mining for Mfezi.  I am going to provide the Blah Statistics.  The Blah of Blahs.  Bow to the Blah!

Grand Totals are calculated from the underlying data so it is not the same as taking an average of averages, but I will check up on this to make sure.

Your data would be most welcome. It needs to come from the WoTNumbers app which accumulates everything automatically!.....

moogleslam #8 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 16:10

Major

• Players
  • 45588 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
You already had the answer before you started collecting data.  The only reason players are blue and purple is because they are pulling their weight.

Mfezi #9 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 16:18

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28035 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View Postmoogleslam, on Mar 02 2019 - 17:10, said:

You already had the answer before you started collecting data.  The only reason players are blue and purple is because they are pulling their weight.

Now it's official!.

If I drill down, I will certainly find a few that aren't!...... :)

dunniteowl #10 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 16:19

Major

• -Players-
  • 30239 battles

They are not only "pulling" their weight, they are also pulling the weight of up to four others on the same team that are not only NOT pulling their weight, but they are waiting to be pulled.

I think your chart shows that pretty obviously.

GL, HF & HSYBF!

OvO

moogleslam #11 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 16:20

Major

• Players
  • 45588 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

View PostMfezi, on Mar 02 2019 - 11:18, said:

Now it's official!.

Then they wouldn't be blue and purple.... see my point?

Also, while WN8 is the best metric we have, it's flawed.  It doesn't account for assisted damage, and likewise, your data is only looking at raw damage, so you're missing out on a huge contribution from some players.

NeatoMan #12 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 16:35

Major

• Players
  • 28089 battles

View PostMfezi, on Mar 02 2019 - 10:18, said:

Now it's official!.

It's been "official" in WG's stats ever since the game started, and is confirmed with each rating system.  The creators of earlier versions of WN8 already did this using tens of thousands of player samples years ago.  Of course, there are outliers, but outliers aren't the norm.  That's why they are outliers.

ThePigSheFlies #13 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 16:58

Major

• Players
  • 73050 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

there are no skilled players.  only padders, lucky #$^'s and hackers.

Kappa

Buttknuckle #14 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:02

Major

• Players
  • 50854 battles
  • [-RECK] -RECK

View Postmoogleslam, on Mar 02 2019 - 15:10, said:

View PostNeatoMan, on Mar 02 2019 - 15:35, said:

It's been "official" in WG's stats ever since the game started, and is confirmed with each rating system.  The creators of earlier versions of WN8 already did this using tens of thousands of player samples years ago.  Of course, there are outliers, but outliers aren't the norm.  That's why they are outliers.

While its true that all our OP is doing is presenting the type of data used to derive our popular rating systems, I applaud him for digging into this and learning it for himself. Learning is good, even if you're only learning how to get where others have already been. His epiphany may not be anything new to a lot of us, but this post is a vast improvement over the "I'm bad because I get put on bad teams" types of posts he used to make.

Mfezi #15 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28035 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View Postmoogleslam, on Mar 02 2019 - 17:20, said:

Then they wouldn't be blue and purple.... see my point?

Also, while WN8 is the best metric we have, it's flawed.  It doesn't account for assisted damage, and likewise, your data is only looking at raw damage, so you're missing out on a huge contribution from some players.

I get your point and of course you are right!. You and Neato take my comments far too seriously, but once you have finished nitpicking, have another look at the stats and you will see they are not supposed to be a new rating system or a verification of the current system, but just a simple set of figures which quantify the difference in skill levels in terms of damage and kills.

I know that there are other metrics involved and if you would like to see them, let me know and I will pull the data.... :)

Festung #16 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 36552 battles
These statistics prove that MM is structured wrong. Mixing Purples and reds frustrates both. MM should pit only red&orange together, yellow& green and blue&purple. This would enable the lesser players to gain some experience before facing the better players. I read here in the forum that "a tank is only as good as the player", so the type of tank shouldn't be the primary condition for MM but the skill of the player. As a player advances in skill, they would move up in color and subsequently into a higher match pool. Just a way to make the teams more evenly matched IMHO.

Garandster #17 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:31

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5950 battles
So basically those with higher WN8 (or color in this case), perform better. Isn't that the whole point of the system that your referencing lol You didn't prove anything that isn't already proven by the data.

Mfezi #18 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28035 battles
  • [SADD] SADD

View PostGarandster, on Mar 02 2019 - 18:31, said:

So basically those with higher WN8 (or color in this case), perform better. Isn't that the whole point of the system that your referencing lol You didn't prove anything that isn't already proven by the data.

Not meant to prove anything -  as I said above.... just a simple set of figures which quantify the difference in skill levels in terms of damage and kills.

GeorgePreddy #19 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:45

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View Postmoogleslam, on Mar 02 2019 - 12:10, said:

You already had the answer before you started collecting data.  The only reason players are blue and purple is because they are pulling MOAR THAN  their weight.

fixed

DeviouslyCursed #20 Posted Mar 02 2019 - 17:46

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4181 battles

View PostFestung, on Mar 02 2019 - 17:27, said:

These statistics prove that MM is structured wrong. Mixing Purples and reds frustrates both. MM should pit only red&orange together, yellow& green and blue&purple. This would enable the lesser players to gain some experience before facing the better players. I read here in the forum that "a tank is only as good as the player", so the type of tank shouldn't be the primary condition for MM but the skill of the player. As a player advances in skill, they would move up in color and subsequently into a higher match pool. Just a way to make the teams more evenly matched IMHO.

This is ridiculously stupid. You get better by playing against better players. Put all the fails together and all they will do is think they are good because all they ever meet are other fails, and the same fail tactics will work over and over because no one else in their matches is doing anything better.

This should be painfully obvious to anyone with half a functioning brain.

Now, if you argued that the reds and oranges won't or can't learn anything (and that is why they are red and orange anyway) and they'd have more fun playing only against other bads, you may have a point. But to try to claim they will learn more from bad players instead of facing good players is just dumb.

Edited by DeviouslyCursed, Mar 02 2019 - 17:48.

Also tagged with stats

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users