IS-1 is gonna make me quit the game

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Shayd_Knight #1 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 11:57

Private

• -Players-
  • 9763 battles
  • [ROT] ROT

Okay before we get into the whole 'git gud' spiel, i love heavies. I love their typical play style, but so help me of every tank in this game nothing has tested my patience more than trying to reach the IS-3. KV-1 was a dream. Got two MOEs on it even during a serious attempt at it. but thats there the fun stopped too. KV-1S made me do tier 5 a second time. KV-85 has LESS armor than the KV-1 and in my mind, its a step DOWN. Then we have the stock IS. this thing infuriates me more than trying to pretend the VK 45.02 A was a heavy. at least then i knew what i was getting into, but this? No. Just...no. Youve given a tier 7 tank a gun meant for tier 5. and not only that, but the armor is so piss poor i cant even work with it. it cant be angled. its just filled with holes everywhere that only have 100-110mm of armor. I've tried, i really have. but when i have it rubbed in my face that im completely impotent against even mediums, i draw the line. 

Please, someone tell me theres some glitch or bug infesting this tank because as it is, im not even gonna last long enough to get the turret for the 122 gun and its gonna send me on another two year hiatus, assuming i ever come back this time.

Pipinghot #2 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 12:04

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostShayd_Knight, on Mar 05 2019 - 05:57, said:

Then we have the stock IS.

Never play a tank stock, that's just bad planning.

Obviously you have the option to do so, but it's a sucker's bet. Always save up your Free XP for when you buy a new tank, and then unlock as many modules as you can (or at least start with the most important ones). Every game requires some degree of strategy and planning, in WoT the base level of planning that's required is "don't play stock tanks".

Shayd_Knight #3 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 12:15

Private

• -Players-
  • 9763 battles
  • [ROT] ROT

View PostPipinghot, on Mar 05 2019 - 12:04, said:

Obviously you have the option to do so, but it's a sucker's bet. Always save up your Free XP for when you buy a new tank, and then unlock as many modules as you can (or at least start with the most important ones). Every game requires some degree of strategy and planning, in WoT the base level of planning that's required is "don't play stock tanks".

Ive always played my tanks stock. Teaches me awareness of my tank rather than just focusing on its gun. Its never been this bad though. Ever. But in this case, its the armor that kills it for me. if i wanted to be made of paper id have gone french. For that matter, why should a tank be so bad stock that it mandates using free xp to get through it? that sounds like a major design flaw in the game itself to me.

Feargrim27 #4 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 12:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13448 battles

View PostShayd_Knight, on Mar 05 2019 - 06:15, said:

Ive always played my tanks stock. Teaches me awareness of my tank rather than just focusing on its gun. Its never been this bad though. Ever. But in this case, its the armor that kills it for me. if i wanted to be made of paper id have gone french. For that matter, why should a tank be so bad stock that it mandates using free xp to get through it? that sounds like a major design flaw in the game itself to me.

And it'll only get worse with other tanks / higher tanks. Teaching you awareness of a tank when it is stock is a flawed thinking. The tank's dynamics change as you add new modules. So what benefits are you really gaining?  And are those benefits worth wanting to club baby seals? Only you can answer those questions.

I don't think you are being entirely logical about this. Don't want to free exp the entire tank's modules, I can respect that. Just do SOME. I have the IS now, I free exp the engines, tracks, and turret. I left the stock gun. Still painful but having the ability to move around gave me more options. I didn't just default go down heavy-row. 

I mean common, you'd rather "quit the game" than use your free exp.

Edited by Feargrim27, Mar 05 2019 - 12:42.

Chicago_Deepdish #5 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 13:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 58466 battles

So funny, OP comes to the forums seeking answers. OP gets some good answers which explain how it is done to make any grind less painful. Answers don't fit how the OP thinks it should work.

https://www.youtube....?v=5w1FPSyBAUc         although this is an older video it pretty much helps explain how you should be trying to advance up the tech trees.

Edited by Chicago_Deepdish, Mar 05 2019 - 14:04.

MagillaGuerilla #6 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 13:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 25565 battles
The whole point of the grind is to get you so frustrated that you'll open your wallet to buy premium tanks and boosters and such. Playing stock is just punching yourself in the face for no good reason.

F1O1 #7 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 13:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

IS tank is one of the better tier 7 heavy tanks

235mm APCR with the 100mm, good DPM with 100mm

Armor is relatively poor frontally, but good forgiving sides

Great heavy tank mobility allows fluidity throughout maps

Vents, rammer, GLD. Mount the 100mm. Got yourself a capable heavy

Hellsfog #8 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 13:35

Major

• Players
  • 36815 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

There are several players who are better than me who like the IS with the 100mm more than the 122mm.  I think the tank is all about the 390 alpha but there is a fair argument to be made for the better gun handling and DPM. If you insist on playing the IS stock, then that's something to think about. 

The IS is more medium than heavy tank.  The armor is suspect on tier and unreliable against tiers 8 and 9. It works pretty well, however, when top tier.  My advice is to play it like a medium and see if that fits you better. Try not to trade one for one with on tier or higher tier tanks.

The 122mm will troll you. Fully aimed shots at 50 m will sometimes go we know not where. Snap shots will seem to land every time. Get used to it. 

If you want to post some replays, I'd be happy to look at them. 

cartires #9 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 14:00

Captain

• Players
  • 40853 battles
Your  mistake is assuming it's a heavy, it's not. It's a heavy medium.

Firemoth #10 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 14:19

Major

• Players
  • 37466 battles
need those 122mm guns, so you can hit people hard. the 100mm is also acceptable if you enjoy the lower alpha playstyle.

Edited by Firemoth, Mar 05 2019 - 14:20.

GeorgePreddy #11 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 14:39

Major

• Players
  • 14345 battles

View PostShayd_Knight, on Mar 05 2019 - 08:15, said:

Ive always played my tanks stock. Teaches me awareness of my tank...

The only thing you learn from playing a stock tank is... how bad an idea it is.

Gtraxeman #12 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 15:39

Captain

• Players
  • 32359 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

Just recently moved up this line to the IS. I got the IS7 skin in the loot boxes, and feel compelled to get the tank, to use the skin.
The IS pretty much needs to be free xp'd to the point the first 122 is useable. Its pretty much the same as KV85 play style. Peek a boom, because the armor isnt much more than the KV85's, but people will respect the guns alpha.

Editied for clarity

Cowabunga_Peppermill_ll #13 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 15:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18979 battles
  • [_VD_] _VD_

to bad for you and no matter if tank is stock or not you will learn all the same stuff. Not all tanks you will like just play thought it and carry on to the next tank or try a different line.

Cowabunga_Peppermill_ll #14 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 15:52

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 18979 battles
  • [_VD_] _VD_

View PostGtraxeman, on Mar 05 2019 - 09:39, said:

Just recently moved up this line to the IS. I got the IS7 skin in the loot boxes, and feel compelled to get the tank, to use the skin.
It pretty much needs to be free xp'd to the point the first 122 is useable. Its pretty much the same as KV85 play style. Peek a boom, because the armor isnt much more than the KV85's, but people will respect the guns alpha.

IS-7 has way better armor more than double than a T6 tank Kv-85 and they play nothing like each other. IS-7 has great armor and will bounce a lot and has a decent gun.

Edited by Cowabunga_Peppermill_ll, Mar 05 2019 - 15:53.

T_Bo #15 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 15:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38543 battles
  • [REJEX] REJEX
IS is more forgiving using the 100mm gun, play it like a medium with that gun and you will do just fine.

Kramah313 #16 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 15:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3374 battles

If you free XP the turret you can mount the first 122. It’s only 12,000 XP and it makes it playable. If you don’t have 12,000 free XP I would park it until you do. It’s that bad. 

The armor doesn’t get better but it’s fast and you can play it with more of a mobile/flanking style. 

I had a love/hate relationship with it. Everything is pretty good on it except the accuracy of the 122 mm guns can really be frustrating at times. 

Garandster #17 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 16:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5042 battles

View PostF1O1, on Mar 05 2019 - 07:31, said:

IS tank is one of the better tier 7 heavy tanks

235mm APCR with the 100mm, good DPM with 100mm

Armor is relatively poor frontally, but good forgiving sides

Great heavy tank mobility allows fluidity throughout maps

Vents, rammer, GLD. Mount the 100mm. Got yourself a capable heavy

That's how I equipped it and really enjoyed the tank with the 122mm. OP the stock turret and 100mm gun are perfectly acceptable to grind the top turret, with premium time and/or boosters (that they give away like candy) you could have it done grinding the turret in 10-15 games, worst case in 20 games with no boosters or premium time and then you're golden.

NL_Celt #18 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 17:49

Major

• Players
  • 28605 battles

Don't understand why you are not using the first 122mm gun at least. You should have had that researched from the KV-85 and Free Xp'ed the turret to be sure you were using an at least decent gun. If you are using the 85mm, then that is just crazy. You are not really going to learn anything by using a stock setup in this case and you are jipping your team a bit. The 100mm can go on the stock turret, so use that in the interim. 

For all others debating the 100mm vs top 122mm, my experience and data collection indicated the 122mm gave better results. While the 100mm performed decently enough and could surprise some tankers thinking you had a longer reload, overall damage, kills, XP, Wn8 were all better with the 122mm. It allows you to do more damage with less exposure. The extra pen on the 100mm doesn't go astray however.

Edited by NL_Celt, Mar 05 2019 - 18:01.

Pipinghot #19 Posted Mar 05 2019 - 18:58

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostPipinghot, on Mar 05 2019 - 12:04, said:

Ive always played my tanks stock.

Ok, that's definitely your right to choose, but that doesn't change that it's a sucker's bet. The simple fact that there is an upgrade path should be all the information you need to understand that stock tanks are going to be weak compared to the upgraded version (just like like in any game with an upgrade path, this isn't unique to WoT). Some are better and some are worse, but when you play a stock tank you are voluntarily crippling your own performance, and you're basically playing a tank that is one tier lower than it's final build.

Teaches me awareness of my tank

Learning awareness of a stock tank is like riding a horse bareback to prepare for a rodeo, you're missing essential equipment that makes a real difference.

Teaches me awareness of my tank rather than just focusing on its gun.

If you think upgrades are all about the gun then you're not really learning that awareness you're talking about. The other upgrades create a significant performance difference on all tanks.

why should a tank be so bad stock that it mandates using free xp to get through it?

Because WG want's people to spend gold converting XP from their Elited tanks to have more Free XP, which allows them to upgrade faster. Or, if you're patient and save up Free XP rather than spending gold, it's a tool that keeps people playing each tier of tank longer before they replace the tanks with higher tiers. Whether you think of it as a money move or a way to extend the longevity of playing time, either way it's a deliberate design choice, and it makes sense from both contexts.

that sounds like a major design flaw in the game itself to me.

No, it's just a tool to increase revenue and playing time. They want the impatient people to buy gold to convert XP or the patient people to plan ahead, it's the people who are neither impatient nor who plan ahead that put themselves into the worst position (by their own choice).

F1O1 #20 Posted Mar 06 2019 - 00:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 60 battles
  • [SAMUS] SAMUS

l will do a smiple breakdown for the pros and cons of either choice.

122mm D25T cannon.

- Excellent shot damage of 390. High HE potential, 61 pen 530 damage

- Terrific trade potential. lE....Take 240 damage, to deliver 390 in return

- Will over match many targets, 40mm and below. lE....T29 and T34 roof, LT432 side armour

- More elevation, +25 instead of +20.  Better rear-of-the-tank gun arc 

- Higher potential damage carried: 28 x 390 >> 36 x 250

100mm D10T cannon

- More gun depression, -7 instead of -6

- Lighter weight, more tank mobility in HP/T

- Better price per damage ratio, 122mm has expensive ammunition

- Better aim-time, accuracy, shell velocity, turret dispersion

- Better DPM, by around 75dmg/min,  worlds better premium APCR at 235mm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users