I really suck at Front Line

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

mbrolin #1 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 12:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 32017 battles

I've played over 30 hours of Front Lines so far. Still have not gotten to Prestige 1 yet. On level 28 currently of first Prestige. In all those games I have never gotten General. I have gotten Major maybe 4 times. At least one game, trying, I was not able to make Sargent, and you get no Prestige points at Private. That really hurt. I am averaging Lieutenant. At only 300 Prestige points a game, and needing over 30,000 Prestige points to level up. I am not seeing any way I'll earn enough to get a Premium tank. I guess I really don't get this game mode.

How the hell are people getting General on a regular basis? I hear on here to get general the fastest you need to cap. But I find this to be the worst advice. 7 out of 10 times you get killed when your on the cap. And you get no Prestige progress when this happens. You only get prestige if you successfully cap. So most of the time you just die and get nothing. The other 20% of the time you get on too late and there are already 3 people on cap and get no Cap points, and no Prestige. The timing of capping is way too complicated to rely on this to prestige.

What reserve is the best? I have been using Engineering. But as mentioned above, it never does me any good Attacking because of getting killed on Cap. I seem to get Attaching twice as much as defending. I am thinking of trying the Recon Flight one. 

The other thing I don't get is people who say they are making mad credits. I do not make anywhere near the amount of credits in this mode people claim they do on here. I easily make twice as much credits in Random versus Front Lines when the time spent. You get a good boost in Exp and Credits when you damage tanks 2 tiers higher than you. I don't have much problem damaging or getting spotting assistance on vehicles 2 tier above me. 

I think it maybe the faster pace of it and the number of tanks that are giving me the most problem. It seems here, you pop your head up, you get blasted by 5 invisible tanks, arty, and 3 airstrikes. Finding the whole thing frustrating.

PuddleSplasher #2 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 12:50

Major

• Players
  • 37839 battles

I really feel your pain.

What you describe also happens to me and I have only started playing FL. My belief is that the more I play the easier the tactics will be revealed to successfully reap the rewards.

Experience is everything in this game coupled with some luck.

Credit rewards! I earn more in small tanks on Random battles also and I am certainly not 1/2 million creds to rent a tank for the few hours I play every couple of days. There is no possible way IMHO that I could earn that much credits at FL.

Some will say we are both wrong but we know we are both correct so it becomes a Catch 22.

Devil666 #3 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 13:00

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 31969 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY
mbrolin, it is fairly simple.  You need a little over11 k damage to get to general status without doing anything else. (just farm mode)  Just like in randoms the more damage to occur the more credits you make. Ex. I have been averaging 280k with a %50 credit booster per battle. If you want to make general faster without the all the damage you need to make sure you cap and defend more.  On offense make sure you are running engineering if you know you are heading to a cap zone, but you have to look at the number of defenders in the area (the tab key shows the match up).  Have to go to work now, will be back to write a little more......

f95marcus #4 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 13:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 53124 battles
  • [AIMED] AIMED

I have made it to General once, only lieutenant in others… just try to be active and aggressive

without getting killed and you should do fine.

However, I have played three games today and two were almost over in a short time. Being the

top XP Player we only had 3 a few captains. So draw out the game, in 20 or 25 minutes People

will get more XP than in a fast 15min win.

SlappedbyRommel #5 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 13:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7757 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE
I to had a hard time at first but now I have a routine for my tanks and it depends on your play - I usually bring out the KanPanz105 at the beginning 4 skill crew great camo and do as much damage as possible. When that gets blown up bring out the CDA105 and do the same as possible crew 4 skill and great came then this is usually the last phase bring out the heavies Somua, WZ Heavy Chinese tank, and if speed needed us Progetto 46 but you need to get as much damage as possible highest for me was Captain team mates have hit General but not I lol. I have done the same routine for Defend or Attack.

Annie_Oakley #6 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 13:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21223 battles
  • [EGR] EGR
OMG,  I have that same problem, I get hit and don't know where it came from.  I need to get 12 prestige points for the Emil but I don't think I will get it.  I cant play all day long like some people, its just too much on the computer, that gives me a headache.  I wish they just make it alittle easier to get these prestige points.  

Son__Of__Anarchy #7 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 14:03

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24670 battles

OP, what tanks do you play?

i play heavies with maxed out engineering.. literally nothing else..

i manage to get to general at least once a day, some times more.. i average captain and very often i finish as major..

that brings me to current prestige III level 14 so far..

and i play ONLY the caps, no matter defence or assault..

good performance defending or capping, mixed with 5000-6000 damage, will definitelly get you up to general..

the best advise i can give you, play heavies and be persistent with the caps..

if you die fast while in the cap, you probably should choose more wiselly the moment you get in the cap..

make sure you have some support IN the cap or at least near it.. or wait a bit till few enemies are dead before you get in..

Son__Of__Anarchy #8 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 14:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24670 battles

last night in A, i was playing my Caernarvon AX.. there were 3 enemy lights, 2 wheelies and a one of those new german premium lights, invaded the cap asap..

by the moment i made it in the circle they ve been capping it at 85% already..

i killed the 2 of them lights and wounded baddly the third.. my mates killed him while he was tracked by me..

i had died by their arty just before, but my job was done..

in less than one minute, from private i reached captain half way to major.. i finished the battle as general..

we lost, anyhow it was a long game and many players on both teams got to be generals..

i counted 11 generals in my team.. and yet, ONLY one got the star.. me! ;)

Insanefriend #9 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 14:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41909 battles

View Postmbrolin, on Mar 13 2019 - 05:39, said:

I've played over 30 hours of Front Lines so far. Still have not gotten to Prestige 1 yet. On level 28 currently of first Prestige. In all those games I have never gotten General. I have gotten Major maybe 4 times. At least one game, trying, I was not able to make Sargent, and you get no Prestige points at Private. That really hurt. I am averaging Lieutenant. At only 300 Prestige points a game, and needing over 30,000 Prestige points to level up. I am not seeing any way I'll earn enough to get a Premium tank. I guess I really don't get this game mode.  

Which tanks are you using?  Certain tanks do better on attack vs defense.  Like I don't play TD on offense and I never touch SPGs in this game mode.

How the hell are people getting General on a regular basis? I hear on here to get general the fastest you need to cap. But I find this to be the worst advice. 7 out of 10 times you get killed when your on the cap. And you get no Prestige progress when this happens. You only get prestige if you successfully cap. So most of the time you just die and get nothing. The other 20% of the time you get on too late and there are already 3 people on cap and get no Cap points, and no Prestige. The timing of capping is way too complicated to rely on this to prestige.  

Read the mini map and figure out when you should be on the cap vs just trying to do as much damage as possible.  This takes a bit of learning but once you figure out if it's safe to get on a cap or not you can get rank points from capping every match.

What reserve is the best? I have been using Engineering. 

Engineering is by far the best for ranking up.

The other thing I don't get is people who say they are making mad credits. I do not make anywhere near the amount of credits in this mode people claim they do on here. I easily make twice as much credits in Random versus Front Lines when the time spent. You get a good boost in Exp and Credits when you damage tanks 2 tiers higher than you. I don't have much problem damaging or getting spotting assistance on vehicles 2 tier above me.   

It depends on if the play is only playing premium tanks or not.  Though after figuring out the average time of a match and credits I make I'd make more running randoms.

I think it maybe the faster pace of it and the number of tanks that are giving me the most problem. It seems here, you pop your head up, you get blasted by 5 invisible tanks, arty, and 3 airstrikes. Finding the whole thing frustrating.  

There is a lot more to keep track of in frontlines then in normal matches.  For the most part though just focus on the lane your in, don't worry about the others unless you hit tab and see your flank is totally out numbered.  If your flank is out numbered your best bet is to leave it and find the main forces.

View PostAnnie_Oakley, on Mar 13 2019 - 06:35, said:

OMG,  I have that same problem, I get hit and don't know where it came from.  I need to get 12 prestige points for the Emil but I don't think I will get it.  I cant play all day long like some people, its just too much on the computer, that gives me a headache.  I wish they just make it a little easier to get these prestige points.  ​Yeah I kinda wish the disparity between points and ranks wasn't so great or it took a little less to rank up.   They really need to make it possible for average players that can't no life the event.  Even if you hit general every round, it's going to take you about nine hours to gain one prestige rank.

Edited by Insanefriend, Mar 13 2019 - 14:54.

dnaman #10 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 15:07

Captain

• Players
  • 31089 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
I hit major most games and General some others.  What I do to get there:  cap and have people defend me while I’m capping (much easier if you platoon). If you have engineering at tier V you cap a crap ton faster.  On defense, kill the cappers.  If they are on cap and no one goes in, be that guy who does.  Even if you die you’ll make good XP.  Do whatever damage you can most of the time I’m addition to these two things.  I hit major twice this morning before going to work.  I dodnoribably 5-6000 damage and helped cap on two caps.  

heavymetal1967 #11 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 15:13

Major

• Players
  • 68264 battles

Arty on defense can rank you up quickly if you hit folks in caps, more so if they're clustered and you hammer them.

Arty on attack isn't as good an option though.

Also your combat reserves are important and how you deploy them can help you as well.

Good advice by SoA and the others re: capping vs. farming.  Also hitting/destroying enemies "near" the turrets help as well.  Near in quotes as I don't know how close, but I think it's detailed somewhere.  Maybe the official game article or the vid that is in there.

Engineering definitely helps when capping or defending cap.  Speaking of cap.

View PostSon__Of__Anarchy, on Mar 13 2019 - 08:03, said:

and i play ONLY the cap

NINJAS?????

Edit:  Just came across this thread.  http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/599962-frontline-xp-prestige-points/

Edited by heavymetal1967, Mar 13 2019 - 15:18.

sargev55 #12 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 15:21

Captain

• Players
  • 55842 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_
I've been averaging around 250k on a loss and over 400k on a win using a 50% credit booster.  Damage normally in the 8-12k ranges.

I have not really used many heavies.  Mainly fast mediums with either good ROF, or good burst damage like the t44/100, Progretto, Lor 40t and the ISU152 for blapping people for 7-800dmg a pop.

sargev55 #13 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 15:27

Captain

• Players
  • 55842 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_
Mbrolin,

What tanks do you have available to use in Frontline?

KRZYBooP #14 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 15:28

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3673 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Damage helps, but what gets you General is participation on the cap zones. Either in defense or capping. 

Example I can give: 

Me and equally skilled toon mate are going for point 'A'. He went all Halo and decided to try and murder everyone shooting at me in cap. We both got a kill but I was a full rank higher when 'A' was finally capped. 

You can do a 'Zerg' Rush, going along with the most players on a sector of the map to push a front up to the objectives. Farming damage alone doesn't guarantee a general. 

SwollenOstrich #15 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 15:30

Captain

• Players
  • 23361 battles

The cap is where it is at. I have made General a number of times. I usually make Major without too much trouble. General of the Army award 6 times.

Do NOT even bother shooting the objectives (guns). Ever. You will get more Level XP by shooting other tanks, not winning or shooting the objectives.

If you are on a flank that wins both of their caps, do NOT bother continuing to the objectives. Switch to a flank that still needs to win caps. You should not bother with the final objective area until ALL caps are captured (defense or offense).

When you are spawning, look closely at the map. If you see a cap where your team seems to outnumber the enemy and they might be about to cap, spawn into a fast tank, catch up to your team and GET ON CAP and stay alive. 

If you are defending and it looks like the enemy is about to do the same, spawn there in whatever tank you think can reach the cap in time and try to reset 1-2 tanks. You will probably die, but worth it.

If neither team is about to cap something, you can pick a flank and spawn a slow heavy, since time is not an issue.

Edit: I believe if you are on a cap when it reaches 100%, you still get points even if you are not one of the 3 first there. So don't negate getting on cap just because you see 3 of your teammates on there. Pile on. Also, don't leave the cap UNTIL you get notice that the cap was captured. I was in a game last night where it reached 100 points and about three guys left and some of them were the accumulators and the cap just got stuck at 100 for about 10 seconds before it finally notified we captured it. Those guys that left the cap at 100% and didn't wait for the notice got NOTHING. I know. I was one of them.

Edited by SwollenOstrich, Mar 13 2019 - 17:18.

Son__Of__Anarchy #16 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 15:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 24670 battles

View Postdnaman, on Mar 13 2019 - 15:07, said:

If they are on cap and no one goes in, be that guy who does.  Even if you die you’ll make good XP.  

very much, THIS...

__WarChild__ #17 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 16:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 25972 battles

View PostSon__Of__Anarchy, on Mar 13 2019 - 08:42, said:

very much, THIS...

Yes.  Being around CAPS give you opportunity for more XP.  Shooting/killing the cap guys (on defense) or capping yourself or shooting defenders in the caps - all give excellent XP.  Damage and assisted damage will get you there.

Personally, I use Recon to get a lot of spotting damage.  If you can spot a cap and folks arty/bomb it, you get great XP.  GOod luck!

Gothraul #18 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 16:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 2162 battles
Too much of a grind for what people get in return other than the credit income, still debating if I am going to sink in the time needed but I kinda need the WZ-111 and have given up on the Emil as the line is getting nerfed.

kapri25 #19 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 16:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15718 battles
  • [13A] 13A
In the end, because winning or losing garners nothing extra or loss, focus on cap is all important for rank. So what happens a lot is people will take positions to be able to fire or take the cap. Mind you it is all well and good but when everyone only has one focus and ignores a lot of everything else because it doesn't reward you as much then the game gets irritating. Had been defending a base and two tanks cut in front of me to kill an enemy tank in the base that I had whittled down. So whichever one got the final kill got the good chunk of ranking xp while I got a fair amount. Other ways to get rank and I have gotten General a couple of times but you really have to be greedy in this mode. Because, getting the kill is what matters. Not the damage. The tank kill especially on cap and getting the kill on the Objectives. Everything else seems to be very little in the way of rank xp.

SwollenOstrich #20 Posted Mar 13 2019 - 17:16

Captain

• Players
  • 23361 battles

Another point about the credits: The guys talking about the massive credits they are making are running hourly boosters and running premium tanks that don't need premium ammo. A 50% credit booster can really result in some huge payouts if you get a decent amount of damage.

If you have boosters available, this is the time to burn them. 

Also, to maximize your earnings, try to rotate only a small group of tanks within a game. 2-3. You pay each individual tank's repair bills just once, so it is obviously cheaper to repair 2 individual tanks than to have to repair 5 or 6. 

The Engineering reserve is great, but it is useless if you don't have balls to get in the cap. If you are defending, there are several caps with rocks in them (Example: A. But not C), if you are in the cap in a good heavy WITH that reserve, you can block the cap advancing. You can literally watch your Rank level tick upward as the points that you are blocking are credited to you.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users