What do you think about the arty rebalance announcement?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Arty rebalance anyone? (127 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

What do you think about the new arty rebalance?

1. About time (14 votes [11.02%])

Percentage of vote: 11.02%

2. Not enough (24 votes [18.90%])

Percentage of vote: 18.90%

3. Yay!! (8 votes [6.30%])

Percentage of vote: 6.30%

4. Just remove sky cancer altogether. (48 votes [37.80%])

Percentage of vote: 37.80%

5. Can't vote cause I'm crying (14 votes [11.02%])

Percentage of vote: 11.02%

6. Huh? Someone said bacon? (19 votes [14.96%])

Percentage of vote: 14.96%

Vote Hide poll

PrinzEugen85 #21 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 21:44

Major

• Players
  • 34112 battles
  • [CANIS] CANIS
As long as the SPG missions are adjusted for it, it's alright.

WeSayNotToday #22 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 21:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23121 battles

View PostHondoDuke, on Mar 22 2019 - 19:39, said:

WG has already failed with this idea, instead of rebalancing arty as a whole they are nerfing one mechanic. Lucky for them most people dislike arty players

This is blatantly untrue.

Most players own and play arty.

Arty is so popular WG has had to reduce it from unlimited per match to 5 per match to 3 per match, BECAUSE PLAYERS WANTED TO PLAY ARTY.

Arty is so popular that EU voted to bring the LeFH18B2 back into the premium shop when they got the chance to do so, for one weekend.

Arty is popular in the game, anti-arty whining is popular in the forums, and yet, every anti-arty poll that has a 'pro-arty' choice in it [you know, almost like a real poll], comes out in favor of arty.

Edited by WeSayNotToday, Mar 22 2019 - 21:45.

Goat_Rodeo #23 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 21:45

Captain

• -Players-
  • 15281 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4

View Postthorus08, on Mar 22 2019 - 20:34, said:

I think the prammo "problem" is a symptom of a combination of the holy trinity that WG has created, corridor maps, new tanks with insignificant or nonexistent(in some cases) frontal weak spots, and our current MM.  Now that I think about it, typically when they release an individual tank that's seen as OP adjustments are made somewhat slow (see for the obj264v8 changes, that should have been seen day 1).  SPG's were reworked quite awhile ago in 9.18?  If these changes were brought up not long after 9.18 there probably would be less reactionary opinions. 

Waiting this long made people pretty comfortable with our current mechanics(of those that enjoyed it that is).

I would dare say RNG should be tossed into that mix. If I’m grinding a tier 6 or 8, I’m bottom tier the vast majority of the time. So even if I aim for the weak spot, RNG says “not this one...or the next...or the one after...**snicker**...try again” In the mean time I’ve collected 2 or 3 hits from higher tier tanks that only have to connect their shell to my tank to pen. 

thorus08 #24 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 21:54

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 28858 battles
  • [200IQ] 200IQ

View PostGoat_Rodeo, on Mar 22 2019 - 15:45, said:

I would dare say RNG should be tossed into that mix. If I’m grinding a tier 6 or 8, I’m bottom tier the vast majority of the time. So even if I aim for the weak spot, RNG says “not this one...or the next...or the one after...**snicker**...try again” In the mean time I’ve collected 2 or 3 hits from higher tier tanks that only have to connect their shell to my tank to pen. 

Oh RNG, thou art a heartless [edited].

WeSayNotToday #25 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 21:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 23121 battles

View Postthorus08, on Mar 22 2019 - 21:54, said:

Oh RNG, thou art a heartless [edited].

Absolutely, and this post is so good, it bears repeating....

Edited by WeSayNotToday, Mar 22 2019 - 21:57.

2MOEJOE #26 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 22:03

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3945 battles
As Lt /medium driver I forgot about arty a long time ago because of everything else that's wrong with this game.:(The only problem I've ever had with arty is the same problem that any tank class has and that's map awareness or the lack of it.

Edited by 2MOEJOE, Mar 22 2019 - 22:07.

SirBaconBuster #27 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 22:26

Private

• -Players-
  • 4324 battles

Honestly I was hoping the changes would be some rebound from the massive (and in my opinion slightly overkill) nerfs of 9.18. I voted bacon and not crying because while I was very disappointed, the changes are not game ending for me. (Also look at my username) I play a lot of arty and heavies and I still believe the changes were somewhat unnecessary. I think that if they go ahead and nerf arty again they should give them a buff in some other area. Some suggestions include:

1. Increase alpha- Not by too much, we don't want people getting one-shotted all the time. I just think it would be good for counteracting the stun.

2. Increase minimum stun time - this wouldn't undo the changes, but it would make getting stunned once worse than it was.

3.Give arty some novel special ability- like a miniature version of the smoke screen from Frontline. Arty feels kind of monotonous and samey as it is and I think adding something new and drastically different could be a great way to make arty more helpful and even more unique.

Gen_Grant #28 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 22:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 40873 battles
  • [BURYU] BURYU

What a Stupid Poll Question... Who writes options like this, not even balanced responses. I have Arty to get past the Dumb missions your Crew at WG set up and now I quote

"

Changing the Additional Stun Parameters

Currently, if the additional stun time is longer than the remaining time of the previous stun, then the additional stun time is added to the total stun time.

The first stun is 20 seconds. After 12 seconds, another shell hits your vehicle, adding another 23 seconds.

After changing this mechanic, additional stuns will automatically be halved in time. So, the total time stunned will decrease:

The first stun is 20 seconds. After 12 seconds, if another shell hits your vehicle, it adds another 23 seconds. It is then halved, so the total stun time is 8 + 12 = 20 seconds.

As you can see, the difference between 31 and 20 seconds is significant. During this time, you can change your position, deal damage to opponents, reset the base capture, etc. Thanks to the new mechanic, the stun time from the repeated hit of an SPG will be greatly reduced. There will also be more cases in which the stun timer will not change at all when you are additionally stunned.

If the time of any stun is less than 5 seconds, the stun time will not apply." 

From your website today. So HOW CAN A PLAYER IN SPG14 Get 180 Sec of Stun with the new dynamics. Change the missions and I can move past Arty usage and others will not hate me for playing it. 

thanks

LpBronco #29 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 22:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43817 battles
  • [TG] TG

Exactly the changes I have espoused since 9.18 went live. I have not played an SPG since and with this change will consider playing them again. What it will mean is that they will miss you on occasion which they don't now as by using the splash range they reduce almost all effective cover to zero as they can splash around corners and it just isn't fun. 

It was always a bad idea to increase accuracy and splash range simultaneously as they did.

SirBaconBuster #30 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 22:36

Private

• -Players-
  • 4324 battles
I prefer to play with arty rather than without even in my heavies. It adds an extra layer of strategery. That said, I do appreciate the occasional no arty match.

Blazzy #31 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 22:39

Captain

• Players
  • 34850 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
It's a start, we'll see what actually goes live and how it feels.  Arty is unbearable in it's current state.

the_dude_76 #32 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 23:03

Major

• Players
  • 33768 battles
  • [GSRM] GSRM

Block Quote

What do you think about the arty rebalance announcement?

I think we'll continue to see pretty much the same crying from pretty much the same people...

AverageWannabe #33 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 23:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6967 battles

View PostWeSayNotToday, on Mar 22 2019 - 17:38, said:

Another poll that could be labelled an "whining anti-arty poll."

My vote is, "Nerfs currently not needed."

I'¡m sorry but I am afraid that's not an option. There is one option you can choose though if you want.

AverageWannabe #34 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 00:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6967 battles

View PostGen_Grant, on Mar 22 2019 - 18:31, said:

What a Stupid Poll Question... Who writes options like this, not even balanced responses. I have Arty to get past the Dumb missions your Crew at WG set up and now I quote

"

Changing the Additional Stun Parameters

Currently, if the additional stun time is longer than the remaining time of the previous stun, then the additional stun time is added to the total stun time.

The first stun is 20 seconds. After 12 seconds, another shell hits your vehicle, adding another 23 seconds.

After changing this mechanic, additional stuns will automatically be halved in time. So, the total time stunned will decrease:

The first stun is 20 seconds. After 12 seconds, if another shell hits your vehicle, it adds another 23 seconds. It is then halved, so the total stun time is 8 + 12 = 20 seconds.

As you can see, the difference between 31 and 20 seconds is significant. During this time, you can change your position, deal damage to opponents, reset the base capture, etc. Thanks to the new mechanic, the stun time from the repeated hit of an SPG will be greatly reduced. There will also be more cases in which the stun timer will not change at all when you are additionally stunned.

If the time of any stun is less than 5 seconds, the stun time will not apply." 

From your website today. So HOW CAN A PLAYER IN SPG14 Get 180 Sec of Stun with the new dynamics. Change the missions and I can move past Arty usage and others will not hate me for playing it. 

thanks

they will obviously change the missions.... duh!

King_Cooper #35 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 02:08

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11875 battles

Buffs, power creep, nerfs, arty, gold ammo, wheelies?   I think their motto must be:

"We're not happy until you're not happy"

PanzerJagerVonRohr #36 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 05:24

Private

• -Players-
  • 15726 battles

What a surprise German Tier VII VIII IX & X - All get Nerfed!

Only sensible suggestion Ive seen here is to drop number of Arty per Battle from Three to Two and did WG do that?

Nope they just nerfed things.... 

Great, wonderful, super

Sigh

orangeandblue #37 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 05:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29129 battles
Even as someone who has played artillery, not primarily, but has played it, if they're going to end up effing with it this much just remove it rather than make it pointless.

oOJimmyJROo #38 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 08:20

Private

• -Players-
  • 11406 battles
  • [AUST] AUST

IMO it is the number of SPGs not power of SPGs that is the problem. 

I look forward to the games when I see no arty, but I think that feeling is amplified by the fact of seeing 3 arty and hating it so many times.

If I take a step back from the accumulated dislike of arty due to seeing 3 arty so many times, and try to be objective, I would say that I have no problem with 1 or even 2 arty, because I can see it adds a dimension to the game -- it reinforces the strategic value of good scouting, and allows a team to press an advantage if we can break enemy lines and kill their arty. 

The problem, and what I hate seeing, is 3 arty. Particularly on open maps like Westfield, Malinovka or Prokorovka. It is these scenarios that are utterly cancerous, and what I think most people object to. There is basically nowhere to hide if you are on the front line and it leads to camping heavies and the sort of play that upsets/annoys most players (IMO).

The proposed changes which limit the cumulative stun effects of multiple arty doesn't solve the problem of 3 arty. So you get stunned less, great, but you still get wrecked by arty.

In terms of the poll, for it to be useful I think it would need to include an option to reduce number of SPGs, which I think many would support, and we see also in this thread.

IMO, nerfing the stun is a weak approach that skirts around the real problem. The real issue -- the elephant in the room -- is still the number of arty.

The above comments are aimed at what I think would be best for the game overall and as response to the concerns of the community that we constantly see in game in relation to the class that is understandably known as the sky cancer in its current form. If arty were limited to 1 or 2, I think there is a good chance that the hatred of arty, which in itself is a cancer on the game (team killing of arty and suchlike) would largely go away. 

On a personal note, as someone who only plays arty to complete missions. For me, the changes currently proposed (basically nerfing stun) will actually make the most annoying grinds in the game (arty missions) more annoying, because the arty missions will be harder to complete, as a lot of them are based on stun duration, or needing to finish on top in XP which will be harder with less assistance from stun. Fortunately, I've done first campaign on this account, but I'm midway through it on my newer local account (since finding the little server in Australia), so overall the proposed changes get a down vote from me. If you leave the power the same but limit arty to 1 or 2, general game play would be more enjoyable and the arty missions would remain bearable.

--

Edited by oOJimmyJROo, Mar 23 2019 - 08:25.

oOJimmyJROo #39 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 08:42

Private

• -Players-
  • 11406 battles
  • [AUST] AUST

In addition the option above, the next best alternative (if we can't cap arty at 1 or 2) would be to make arty easier to find. This puts reducing the number of arty in the hands of players and rewards good play to achieve that.

For example, you reduce camo down to FV4005 levels (which is logical anyway, right?), and reward good scouting to breach enemy lines and flush out arty positions.

Alternatively, you leave a fraction more realistic signature from arty fire (e.g some surrounding tree/ bush vibration) not just a tracer, to encourage and reward good countering of arty.

This also encourages better arty play, to make re-positioning to improve survivability more of a requirement.

Again, I wouldn't nerf the damage/stun power of arty. Just look at strategies to limit arty numbers, either via a direct cap in matchmaking or indirect changes to re-balance the risk/reward of arty.

Sturmgeschut #40 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 09:53

Captain

• Players
  • 12656 battles
  • [SEELS] SEELS

Should just remove it.

It's just a crutch for old people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users