Matchmaker is terrible... here is how to fix it (finally)

Matchmaker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Matchmaking Poll (20 members have cast votes)

Do you like or hate the 3-5-7 matchmaking system?

1. Like it (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Hate it (15 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Do you like this way of matchmaking?

1. Like it (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Hate it (15 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

I_brake_for_gnomes #1 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 19:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 21344 battles

World of Tanks just came out with another update and I still see that there is no fix for the matchmaking that we have to endure with. Mainly the 3-5-7 system which is utterly garbage, especially when you use a tier 8 tank.

I have been playing WOT for about 4 years now and I think that the matchmaking is worse now than ever before. I have a Tier 8 Ferdinand and I am constantly playing in Tier 10 battles, which is no fun playing a slow tank that every tank in the battle can penetrate. So I did an experiment to see how many tier 10 battles my brand new (and very stock) Italian Tier 8 medium tank, the P.44 Pantera, found itself in.

For the first 20 battles that I was in, I was in 14 Tier 10 battles, 5 tier 9 battles and 1 tier 8 battle. After that I stopped counting because I could not believe how crazy that was. Being in so many tier 10 battles, especially when you are stock, hurts my game play and it makes it very difficult on grinding away the tank so I can get the top gun, top engine and top turret.

On the Pantera, it takes 36,300 XP to get the upgraded tracks and to get the upgraded gun which you will need to can compete in tier 10 games. Which is about 70% of the time.

If you say that, that an average players earns about 1,200 XP per battle, then you are looking at about 30 games played to get that 36,300 XP. You also need to do another 16,700 XP to get the turret before you can start grinding for the Tier 9 tank, the Standard B. And to get the Standard B you have to grind away another 149,200 XP. And that is not counting getting the two upgraded engines and the two upgraded radios.

So you can see, matchmaking, especially for the higher tiers is vital in trying to grind your way to the tier 10 tanks. I have a solution to improve the matchmaking in this game and here it is ->

Part 1 -> Tier 1 battles. To improve matchmaking, you need to address the problem new players have with them learning how to play the game. Right now, anyone, including those with 50,000 games played, can play a tier 1 tank against players who just joined. This 100% unfair and should be stopped. To keep seal clubbers from dominating tier one games, then the enemy team must always be made up of bot players.

Part 2 -> Tier 2 to Tier 3 battles. To keep new players from being trashed by seal clubbers, the first fifty battles a player is in at these two tiers will only face bot players. Game play will be normal for all other players. Also, if a 15 v 15 lineup can not be made within 2 minutes, then the missing players will be made up of bot players. This way no one has to wait 4 minutes or longer for a battle to start.

Part 3 -> I am in the computer industry and I have done a lot of coding with different languages. Every computer language has a randomizer function to it and that is the key to setting up a good matchmaker.

Right now, most tanks in the game face in battles up to two tiers above itself. My tier 8 P.44 Pantera, for example, will either compete in tier 8, 9  or 10 battles. The randomizer can put my tank into a tier 8, 9 or 10 battle and that would be fine with me because this is a more fair outcome than the current 3-5-7 system.

Part 4 -> Now I need to explain how the P44 finds itself in what tier battle it is in because this is the most important part. And it is YOU that determines which tier battle you are in. Let me explain in a moment, but first is the specifications of the P.44 Pantera.

Gun ->

---> Stock -> Tier 7 "Cannone de 90/53" (Pen: 165/195/45; Dam: 240/240/320)

---> Upgrade -> Tier 8 "Cannone da 90/74" (Pen: 212/259/320; Dam: 240/240/320)

Turret ->

---> Stock -> Tier 7 "P.44 Pantera prima" (armor: 100/50/50)

---> Upgrade -> Tier 8 "P.44 Pantera seconda" (armor: 120/60/60)

Radio ->

---> Stock -> Tier 6 6 RF.2.CA

---> Upgrade -> Tier 8 RF.3.M2

---> Upgrade -> Tier 9 RF.4.M

Engines ->

---> Stock -> Tier 7 SPA 344

---> Upgrade -> Tier 8 Alfa RA.1000 CA

---> Upgrade -> Tier 8 Fiat RA.1050 CA

Tracks ->

---> Stock -> Tier 7 P.44 Pantera

---> Upgrade -> Tier 8 P.44 Pantera v.s.

Basically we use the assigned tier that each appliance has in determining what battle we are going into. The stock Pantera will only see tier 8 battles because it does not have any appliance above tier 8.

Installing the upgraded gun, the top engines and the top turret will not change what battle the Pantera faces because none of those appliances are above tier 8. Now if you buy but not install the top radio, you still will only be in tier 8 battles because nothing above tier 8 is installed onto the tank. When I install the top radio, the tier 9 "RF.4.M", onto my Pantera, now this tank can either be in Tier 8 or Tier 9 battles.

Well then what about this tank being in Tier 10 battles? With this new matchmaking, it will never happen unless WG changes the tier levels the Pantera's appliances have right now. And after playing the Pantera for a while now, Tier 9 is probably the highest tier it should face anyway.

There you have it. My matchmaker version allows you to determine what tier your tank fights in. This does away with the current 3-5-7 system simply and effectively with the randomize function. Also seal clubbers will have a harder time trying to take out inexperienced players.

Please take the poll so you can let Wargamming know whether you like the current 3-5-7 system or not. And whether you like my matchmaker version or not.

Thanks.

tanopasman62 #2 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 20:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 19773 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

Or they could just make MM +/- 1 and implement battle count into MM so new players don't get clubbed at lower tiers and higher tier players don't get a Lowe with 20 battles sitting at the spawn with no clue of what to do.

Mankoi #3 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 21:21

Captain

• Players
  • 47314 battles
  • [ELLAS] ELLAS

MM is directly connected to server population.

Since we are low in that area , we would either wait more than 5 minutes to get a battle or what we have now

bockscar43 #4 Posted Mar 22 2019 - 21:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 31536 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR

View PostMankoi, on Mar 22 2019 - 21:21, said:

MM is directly connected to server population.

Since we are low in that area , we would either wait more than 5 minutes to get a battle or what we have now

Like, up excretion tributary, without the proper means of locomotion.  

archer0142 #5 Posted Mar 23 2019 - 17:55

Private

• Players
  • 27933 battles
Personally, I agree that mm needs fixed and will not be spending another cent(premium account) on this game until its fixed. Was an enjoyable game but tired of getting into matches where there are 2 tiers above myself. I don't even play the lights anymore more cause of their mm, whats the point, your almost always the bottom tier. Tanks are played for their qualities(speed, armor, firepower), and would be more fun playing that quality in the same tier. Now, as things are, I just leave the match before it starts, if there are 2 tiers above myself. I play every couple days or so, not my normal daily norm, I'm running out of credits fast and so won't be able to play.

Also tagged with Matchmaker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users